PDA

View Full Version : New positional coaches

SquishDaFish
01-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Rbs- Tyrone Wheatley -
Christian P. Hagen ‏<s>@</s>christianphagen (https://twitter.com/christianphagen) Hearing Ty Wheatley to coach Running Backs for Buffalo Bills <s>#</s>goblue (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23goblue&src=hash)

Dline - Anthony Weaver from Jets -
http://www.thebillsbeat.com/Buffalo_Bills_News_Article.aspx?article=97991

Slim
01-12-2013, 03:35 PM
First I've heard about Wheatley. Was the RB coach at 'Cuse.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Tyronne Wheatley! What a blast from the past!

Slim
01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Tyronne Wheatley! What a blast from the past!

Anthony Weaver as well. Long time Raven. I remember him for his days at ND.

RedEyE
01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
The Weaver hiring makes sense. He'll implement Pettine's D and things will move forward quicker.

I'm not impressed with Wheatley, however. Spiller and Jackson have more experience then this guy and could probably offer him some pointers.

kingJofNYC
01-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Weavers a good coach, just go watch Mo Wilkerson play, they get a lot out of their DL talent.

EricStratton
01-12-2013, 06:05 PM
The Weaver hiring makes sense. He'll implement Pettine's D and things will move forward quicker.

I'm not impressed with Wheatley, however. Spiller and Jackson have more experience then this guy and could probably offer him some pointers.

He played in the NFL for 9 or 10 years, didn't he?

Slim
01-12-2013, 06:08 PM

According to Wiki 94-05'. And he's been coaching since 07'.

EricStratton
01-12-2013, 06:10 PM
The running backs at SU were a strong part of their game in both running and blitz pick-up.

That can't be a bad thing.

RedEyE
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
I guess that was a poor choice of words. Rather than 'more experienced' I should have said something like 'better vision', 'ability', 'skill set' etc.

My point is I just don't think Wheatley can coach Jackson and Spiller on anything outside of playbook preparation and situational response.

EricStratton
01-12-2013, 06:37 PM
I guess that was a poor choice of words. Rather than 'more experienced' I should have said something like 'better vision', 'ability', 'skill set' etc.

My point is I just don't think Wheatley can coach Jackson and Spiller on anything outside of playbook preparation and situational response.

I see your point but many good coaches were never great players. They had to get by with less skill so many developed good habits.

Mahdi
01-12-2013, 06:41 PM

Coaching has nothing to do with an Nfl playing career. Coaching in itself is a talent.

TigerJ
01-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I think Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller are just about as gifted as any running back could be when it comes to on field vision and running instinct. I'm not sure any running back coach is going to be able to teach them more in that regard. A running back coach, I think is mostly going to keep reminding them of the basics, how to hold on to the ball, how to carry it in the opposite had from the side you expect to get hit, how to wrap up with both hands when you know you're going to get hit, how to block (something CJ struggled with), using a straight arm, blitz pick up, etc. It's stuff they already know, but few players are so self disciplined that they never need to be reminded of it. Even if Tyrone Wheatley has no brand new tip he can offer Fred and CJ about running the football, he could still be an excellent running back coach if he is able to keep them dialed in to doing the little things that help keep mistakes from happening.

Night Train
01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
" I can't believe the Bills hired John Doe as the administrative assistant to the special teams quality control coach ! He sucks ! "

YardRat
01-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Hopefully he can at least help Spiller with picking up blitzes.

DynaPaul
01-12-2013, 08:40 PM
All the defensive coaches are leaving the Jets' sinking ship!

Crisis
01-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Is this the same Tyrone Wheatley that used to play for the Raiders?

SquishDaFish
01-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Yes it is

DraftBoy
01-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Wheatley was highly regarded by people around the SU program. Very happy to be bringing him into the fold.

casdhf
01-13-2013, 06:15 AM
He was a first round pick too, I think. It's not like he is just some bum.

The Jokeman
01-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Weaver played with Mario in Houston for three seasons. So he she should definately have some incite that he can pass on to Mike Pettine so I like that hiring. Wheatley did play in the NFL and might be able to offer somethings to Spiller/Jackson and is an okay hire. Yet to me I am eagerly anticipating who we name QB coach because to me it's a critical position especially if we're planning on taking and developing a rookie.

ServoBillieves
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
I think Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller are just about as gifted as any running back could be when it comes to on field vision and running instinct. I'm not sure any running back coach is going to be able to teach them more in that regard. A running back coach, I think is mostly going to keep reminding them of the basics, how to hold on to the ball, how to carry it in the opposite had from the side you expect to get hit, how to wrap up with both hands when you know you're going to get hit, how to block (something CJ struggled with), using a straight arm, blitz pick up, etc. It's stuff they already know, but few players are so self disciplined that they never need to be reminded of it. Even if Tyrone Wheatley has no brand new tip he can offer Fred and CJ about running the football, he could still be an excellent running back coach if he is able to keep them dialed in to doing the little things that help keep mistakes from happening.

The beauty of what people also forget is exactly what you said. Marrone can't be at every separate drill at the same time, there needs to be an authority figure to make sure they're not just slumping through the motions. Positional coaches are guys the FO or HC can trust to get their points across.

I remember in high school when we went to individual drills for the first time my varsity year we thought "Oh good, coach is going over to the QB's, let's just throw the ball around" and my old middle school English coach comes running over and made us give 100%; running routes/sprints/ball control, pretty much what you said, fundamentals that you need to continue to do.

Now I know a high school and an English teacher aren't the NFL and elite athletes, but if there isn't an authority to run things, then people will tend to slack off.

scartown
01-13-2013, 08:28 PM
FootballScoop is reporting Rice DC Chuck Driesbach will be joining the staff. They also mention Marrone could introduce most or all of the staff tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/290645682954575873

mysticsoto
01-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I still can't believe Marrone didn't go get OL Coach D'Alessandris. He needs to be made aware that before injuries, Fitz had 0 sacks on him for a pretty decent amt of time. I hope he gets him...he was getting what we needed even from the backups...

swiper
01-14-2013, 05:16 AM
All the defensive coaches are leaving the Jets' sinking ship!

Bob Sutton, Ryan's assistant head coach/LB coach was just named D. coordinator in Kansas City.

Their DB coach becomes their new DC in NYC.

swiper
01-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Weavers a good coach, just go watch Mo Wilkerson play, they get a lot out of their DL talent.

Did the coach make the player or did the players make the coach look good? I suspect the latter. DeVito & Wilkerson made their coaches look good.

Overall the Jets line play took a step back since a heathy Kris Jenkins no longer was in the line-up.

Night Train
01-14-2013, 05:27 AM
They also mention Marrone could introduce most or all of the staff tomorrow.

Please God, although she is only eye candy, PLEASE let Kate Upton be on the staff..(no pun intended).

DO THE RIGHT THING !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U62stubaal4

Bunion
01-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Pettine is DC, Jim O'Neil is LB coach, Anthony Weaver is DL Coach. So Driesbach is either DBs or Defensive Quality Control?

Bruce Dehaven ought to be brought back. The production he got out Alex, Marcelle and Leodis speaks for itself. Marcelle and Alex had, what, six blocked PATs and FGs between them?

trapezeus
01-14-2013, 08:38 AM
from what i hear, the real changes a team can make is the quality of hte positional coaches. These are the guys who get talent to step up a level. and i like both these hires because of experience.

last year, the bills had a UB DL coach who sucked at UB come into the mix. Not surprisingly our DL sucked.

Bruce Smith once said his DL coach (forget what his name was with Buffalo) pretty much taught him all he knew about being a DE. So these positional coaches matter.

psubills62
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
from what i hear, the real changes a team can make is the quality of hte positional coaches. These are the guys who get talent to step up a level. and i like both these hires because of experience.

last year, the bills had a UB DL coach who sucked at UB come into the mix. Not surprisingly our DL sucked.

Bruce Smith once said his DL coach (forget what his name was with Buffalo) pretty much taught him all he knew about being a DE. So these positional coaches matter.
They do matter, as you're right - they do most of the teaching. It would be nice if we could bring in a coach who could teach tackling.

That said, the top 3 guys (HC and coordinators) matter a lot too because they're the ones who need to utilize the talent in their schemes.

Bunion
01-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Couldn't agree more, just speculating on what role he's going to fill...and being suprised that a 60 year old DC would take a pretty thankless job in an organization like ours. You'll never catch me thinking that guys like Joe D'Alessandris didn't improve this team, and hopefully he'll be brought back. It's bad enough seeing what Bill Kollar has done with the talent Houston has.

Albany,n.y.
01-14-2013, 09:23 AM
I still can't believe Marrone didn't go get OL Coach D'Alessandris. He needs to be made aware that before injuries, Fitz had 0 sacks on him for a pretty decent amt of time. I hope he gets him...he was getting what we needed even from the backups...

I have no problem with not retaining a former assistant who, no matter how well the players coached by him performed, was one of the assistant coaches in a culture of losing.
We're going for culture change & if one or 2 talented assistants have to hit the road to make sure that no coach associated with the losing culture sticks around, so be it. It's part of sending the message that the losing mentality will not be tolerated.

TedMock
01-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Please God, although she is only eye candy, PLEASE let Kate Upton be on the staff..(no pun intended).

DO THE RIGHT THING !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U62stubaal4

The entrance is intense and the fierce, and there does seem to be a lot of power there.

CoolBreeze
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM

Most great coaches weren't great players, but were students of the game. When's the last time you saw Belicheck, Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, Vince Lombardi, John Fox or Mike Smith's names in the record books as Players? The fact is you don't a thing about Wheatley personally, you look at his stats and judge him from that. You assume Gale Sayres or Barry Sanders would be a better coach based on their performance on the field. The facts are the opposite. I'm assuming that you hate the hire of Mike Pettine as DC as well, because he never played a down in the NFL.

justasportsfan
01-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Most great coaches weren't great players, but were students of the game. When's the last time you saw Belicheck, Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, Vince Lombardi, John Fox or Mike Smith's names in the record books as Players? The fact is you don't a thing about Wheatley personally, you look at his stats and judge him from that. You assume Gale Sayres or Barry Sanders would be a better coach based on their performance on the field. The facts are the opposite. I'm assuming that you hate the hire of Mike Pettine as DC as well, because he never played a down in the NFL.

Another common senseless move by the bills. He never coached in the NFL. He's going to suck.

/OP

justasportsfan
01-14-2013, 10:09 AM
FootballScoop is reporting Rice DC Chuck Driesbach will be joining the staff. They also mention Marrone could introduce most or all of the staff tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/290645682954575873

reading his profile, he is being credited for developing Patrick Willis and a few other guys. Looks like Marrone is serious about player development.

RedEyE
01-14-2013, 10:17 AM

What?

I'm basically saying that Spiller and Jackson have become so advanced in the PROFESSIONAL game that an RB coach from Eastern Michigan/Syracuse is probably going to have little to offer than a focus on the remedial basics.

But, hey, you go ahead and blow it out of proportion and take it out of context anyway you feel necessary.

SquishDaFish
01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Now we have our special teams coach. Danny crossman from the lions asked out of final year of contract and took bills job

THATHURMANATOR
01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Sounds good.

Former 1000 yard rusher and 17th overall pick. Read that he was highly regarded as a coach.

The last buffalo fan
01-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Now we have our special teams coach. Danny crossman from the lions asked out of final year of contract and took bills job

Is he good? :pray:

mysticsoto
01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
I have no problem with not retaining a former assistant who, no matter how well the players coached by him performed, was one of the assistant coaches in a culture of losing.
We're going for culture change & if one or 2 talented assistants have to hit the road to make sure that no coach associated with the losing culture sticks around, so be it. It's part of sending the message that the losing mentality will not be tolerated.

I disagree with this line of thinking. Unless you are saying that each coach participated in developing a culture of losing, I don't see how D'Alessandris, who got the Oline to play remarkably well and even got the backups to step in and play well...I don't see how you or anyone could say that he didn't do his job well. The Oline was one of the few bright spots on the team. CJ ran well on his own, but he also got alot of holes and cut back lanes to shoot through. The Oline and Oline coach deserve some credit there.

It's unbelievable that after the crappy Oline and coaching we've had in the last few yrs, that people would not appreciate what we had this year!!! What other position on our team fared better? RB might be the only one you could say, and they have the Oline to thank!

trapezeus
01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
They do matter, as you're right - they do most of the teaching. It would be nice if we could bring in a coach who could teach tackling.

That said, the top 3 guys (HC and coordinators) matter a lot too because they're the ones who need to utilize the talent in their schemes.

Agreed, but i see the DC and OC and HC all part of a strategic team. they develop the scheme and playcall based on what teams are giving or showing. and they know how to take advantage of play calling. the assistants need to know the basics of what they are trying to do and then put the players in situations on a micro level to really get there.

i think we all get the macro level, strategy piece. how do you get a DE to get around the OL faster and quicker. how do you get him to recognize the things OL do and show them that so they don't simply rely on their athleticism. i think the last regime had a couple good positional coaches. and i think we had a couple stinkers and my believe is that we saw that with good OL play and RB skills but questionable front 7 play on defense.

SabreEleven
01-14-2013, 02:35 PM

I work with a couple Lions fans and they are so glad he is gone. couldn't stop talking about how bad the Lions ST were...

SquishDaFish
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Yea I know nothing about him at all. Its not like the Lions were really good in any aspect last year though.

SquishDaFish
01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanx to Billsman on the range....

The Detroit News is reporting that the Bills have their special teams coach.

According to the report Detroit Lions special teams coach Danny Crossman has asked out of the final year of his contract with Detroit to serve as special teams coordinator for the Bills (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130114/SPORTS0101/301140396).

Bills head coach Doug Marrone and Crossman were teammates with the London Monarchs in the World Football League. They also coached together at the Coast Guard Academy in 1993.

Crossman has six years NFL coaching experience, the last three of which came with the Lions. From 2007-2009 Crossman worked with the Carolina Panthers special teams units.

He also has 14 years of college coaching experience following a brief pro career as a defensive back. He played defensive back at Pitt in college.

The El Paso native turns 46 on Thursday.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130114/SPORTS0101/301140396/Lions-special-teams-coordinator-Danny-Crossman-asks-out-contract?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports)

BillsU
01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
We have also hired Towson Secondary/Special Teams coach Brian Fleury.

The Jokeman
01-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Still no announcement of a QB Coach. I'm seriously worried about this.

mysticsoto
01-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Thanx to Billsman on the range....

The Detroit News is reporting that the Bills have their special teams coach.

According to the report Detroit Lions special teams coach Danny Crossman has asked out of the final year of his contract with Detroit to serve as special teams coordinator for the Bills (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130114/SPORTS0101/301140396).

Bills head coach Doug Marrone and Crossman were teammates with the London Monarchs in the World Football League. They also coached together at the Coast Guard Academy in 1993.

Crossman has six years NFL coaching experience, the last three of which came with the Lions. From 2007-2009 Crossman worked with the Carolina Panthers special teams units.

He also has 14 years of college coaching experience following a brief pro career as a defensive back. He played defensive back at Pitt in college.

The El Paso native turns 46 on Thursday.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130114/SPORTS0101/301140396/Lions-special-teams-coordinator-Danny-Crossman-asks-out-contract?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports)

Is it sad that I read the above and thought it said, "Special Needs Coach" ?

RedEyE
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM

I've been wondering the same.

Pure speculation:

Jeremy Bates, most recently QB Coach in Chicago, could be a fit in Buffalo for 3 reasons.

1) He has worked beside Doug Marrone while on the Jets in 2005
2) He coached Tavarias Jackson at Seattle
3) He coached Matt Barkley at USC

* It could be Bates is waiting to hear what is to happen with the rest of the Chicago coaching staff post Lovie before moving on.

The Jokeman
01-15-2013, 12:22 PM
I've been wondering the same.

Pure speculation:

Jeremy Bates, most recently QB Coach in Chicago, could be a fit in Buffalo for 3 reasons.

1) He has worked beside Doug Marrone while on the Jets in 2005
2) He coached Tavarias Jackson at Seattle
3) He coached Matt Barkley at USC

* It could be Bates is waiting to hear what is to happen with the rest of the Chicago coaching staff post Lovie before moving on.

Good research and if he was in Chicago this past year he also worked with Jason Campbell who I've already speculated the Bills could pursue as an UFA.

Albany,n.y.
01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I disagree with this line of thinking. Unless you are saying that each coach participated in developing a culture of losing, I don't see how D'Alessandris, who got the Oline to play remarkably well and even got the backups to step in and play well...I don't see how you or anyone could say that he didn't do his job well. The Oline was one of the few bright spots on the team. CJ ran well on his own, but he also got alot of holes and cut back lanes to shoot through. The Oline and Oline coach deserve some credit there.

It's unbelievable that after the crappy Oline and coaching we've had in the last few yrs, that people would not appreciate what we had this year!!! What other position on our team fared better? RB might be the only one you could say, and they have the Oline to thank!
No matter how well he did his job, he did it under Chan Gailey. I'll give Marrone enough leeway to hire his own guy. I just don't mind the head coach choosing his own man and if that means a talented coach leaves, I'd rather have that than a holdover who may or may not see eye to eye with the new head coach. Talented coaches leave all the time when a team changes coaches.

justasportsfan
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Since Marrone had success as an OL coach himself, I'm not all that worried. Had we hired someone like Lovie, then I would wish he keep Joe A.

DBrown77
01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
He has hired a lot of Syracuse coaches. I guess he is trying to create his own coaching tree.

Saratoga Slim
01-15-2013, 06:40 PM

Jim Harbaugh was an average at best QB, but he's a top shelf QB coach. Mike Singletary was a hall of fame linebacker, but an average coach.

Coaching and playing are two different skill sets altogether. The experience of having played might tend to make one a better coach, but ability as a player doesn't equate to ability as a coach. a coach doesn't have to be able to DO what he sees need to be done, he just needs to be able to see it, and explain it.

kishoph
01-16-2013, 03:43 AM

My source tells me (WGR) that Hackette will coach the QB's. I haven't seen anything on this yet, just what they said on the radio.

The Jokeman
01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
My source tells me (WGR) that Hackette will coach the QB's. I haven't seen anything on this yet, just what they said on the radio.

I hate that decision as to me you should always have a QB coach and an OC and both should be seperate entities. I'm sure someone will post something to dismiss my thoughts but to me a QB coach is vital in developing a QB and admit upset to here that Hackett will man both roles. Time will tell but I will say now I think this a bad idea and hold by my feelings even if proven wrong.

TigerJ
01-16-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't especially like the idea of the OC also serving as QB coach, but, Jokeman, you really are a man of your convictions if you stand by them even if you're "proven wrong."

better days
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
He has hired a lot of Syracuse coaches. I guess he is trying to create his own coaching tree.

This goes to what I said before about a young Coach VS an older coach. A young Coach does not have the contacts that an older Coach does so his pool of hires will be more limited.

better days
01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Jim Harbaugh was an average at best QB, but he's a top shelf QB coach. Mike Singletary was a hall of fame linebacker, but an average coach.

Coaching and playing are two different skill sets altogether. The experience of having played might tend to make one a better coach, but ability as a player doesn't equate to ability as a coach. a coach doesn't have to be able to DO what he sees need to be done, he just needs to be able to see it, and explain it.

Jim Harbaugh had limited ability as a player, but he is a very competitive guy as is Singletary. I think that plays a bigger part in Coaching than ability as a player.