PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Speculation on QB Acquisition

YardRat
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981837884

Chase Daniel has backed up Drew Brees in New Orleans for the last four seasons and has now become a free agent. Daniel has studied and learned the game from one of the top quarterbacks in the league and has played well when given the opportunity and Maiola has suggested the team look at bringing in the young signal caller instead of drafting a player like Tyler Wilson of Arkansas.

Another positive note in this acquisition is Daniel (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1481684-buffalo-bills-value-free-agents-to-target-this-off-season/page/3) worked under new head coach Doug Marrone when he called plays for the Saints and his knowledgehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.gather.com/#) of the new offense is terrific. While Daniel does have limited NFL experience, his knowledge and learning curve is much less than that of a rookie and his price tag is likely much cheaper.

OLDSRIP
01-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Don't know much about him. But the coach knows him well.
whats the scouting report on him?

EDS
01-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Fine to bring him in for competition but he should by no means be the plan or even option a in the plan.

Ed
01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Not that I put any real stock into physical attributes, but he's only listed at 6'-0".

Mski
01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
he cant really be any worse than what we've already had on the roster, certainly better than our back ups

Joe Fo Sho
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Another positive note in this acquisition is Daniel (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1481684-buffalo-bills-value-free-agents-to-target-this-off-season/page/3) worked under new head coach Doug Marrone when he called plays for the Saints and his knowledgehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.gather.com/#) of the new offense is terrific. While Daniel does have limited NFL experience, his knowledge and learning curve is much less than that of a rookie and his price tag is likely much cheaper.

Doug Marrone was named Head Coach of Syracuse on December 11, 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Marrone

Chase Daniel was signed by the Saints on September 6, 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Daniel#Professional_career

Am I missing something?

RedEyE
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Not that I put any real stock into physical attributes, but he's only listed at 6'-0".

So is Drew Brees.

YardRat
01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Doug Marrone was named Head Coach of Syracuse on December 11, 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Marrone

Chase Daniel was signed by the Saints on September 6, 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Daniel#Professional_career

Am I missing something?

Good catch...obviously the author of the article is mistaken.

Night Train
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Good read and using your noodle.

Alex Smith (probably cut soon) could be another consideration but not for the thinking previously discussed.

8 years ago, he ran a spread offense with many k-gun qualities for Urban Meyer at Utah. Was 22-1 under him. Since then, 6 coordinators, asked to play under center (not his game) and losing his job to a faster read/option type QB.

Shotgun, 2 reads max and out comes the ball quickly. That's what you saw Nassib doing at Syracuse this past season in those highlights. That was Smith at Utah. Your accuracy has to be in the 10-20 yard range while the receiver makes more yardage after. So an average to good arm isn't a negative if the completion percentage is good. Smith is very accurate. Not the worst idea while a younger guy develops.

trapezeus
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
the bills need to put their QB program on steriods. which means they need to bring in a couple different options. they need to draft a qb and they may need to take two or bring in another high level option.

I'd be fine drafting wilson and taking this guy as a potential day one starter and ease wilson into the role.

I'm fine drafting wilson and taking nassib in round two.

what the bills can not do is make a token gesture at qb.

and it can't take fitz's durability as a sign that having one capable qb is enough.

better days
01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
So is Drew Brees.

And Russell Wilson is even shorter. I really wanted the Bills to draft Wilson & was pissed watching that game yesterday. To think the Bills could have easily had him. I have defended Nix since day one, but his failure to draft Wilson or Kaepernick was clearly a HUGE mistake.

RedEyE
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
And Russell Wilson is even shorter. I really wanted the Bills to draft Wilson & was pissed watching that game yesterday. To think the Bills could have easily had him. I have defended Nix since day one, but his failure to draft Wilson or Kaepernick was clearly a HUGE mistake.

It's all about making the best of all of your talents using the best of your abilities, in my opinion. Size helps for sure, but it's not the end all. I personally like a guy that can throw in the pocket, but brings the extra intangible of escaping the collapsing pocket and quickly turns a negative into a positive. Speed helps, sure. But it's all about a burst and having that sixth spider sense that tingles at the right opportunity inevitably delivering him out of a negative play.

Wilson and Kap have all of that and then some. Brees, Rodgers, RGIII, Newton...hell, not to stir old pots, but Flutie had it (without going down that debate path again).

Buddo
01-14-2013, 01:50 PM

Am I missing something?

Don't think so.
Doubt our new HC actually knows him, at all.
However, he may actually have a decent grasp of whatever offence said HC wants to install, as it is alleged that the Saints still use the large part of what Marrone created for them.

RedEyE
01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Getting back to the original post, Chase Daniel was a 2007 Heisman Trophy finalist and a former Unitas Award candidate, broke all kinds of Mizzou records but went undrafted in 2009. '

Could be a hidden gem. It could never hurt to bring him in for a peak.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-14-2013, 02:04 PM
IMO he was better suited for Gailey's spread O than this one.

cookie G
01-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Don't know much about him. But the coach knows him well.
whats the scouting report on him?

Short, below average NFL arm, but lit it up in Mizzou's spread offense for 3 years. Made college stars out of Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman. got to throw to Jeremy Maclin for 2 years and had a very talented Wil Franklin as another WR. They were a very good offense and very fun to watch.

Very smart, can make a quick read, but not necessarily a quick release. He was one of the reasons some were turned off by Blaine Gabbert as a prospect. People looked at Gabbert's production in college, compared it to Daniels' production when he was there, and said WTF? Gabbert never came close to Daniels' numbers, despite a lot more physical talent.

Probably smarter than Colt McCoy but no more physically gifted. Maybe his arm has gotten stronger since he turned pro, its possible, I suppose. But not likely.

Skooby
01-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Short, below average NFL arm, but lit it up in Mizzou's spread offense for 3 years. Made college stars out of Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman. got to throw to Jeremy Maclin for 2 years and had a very talented Wil Franklin as another WR. They were a very good offense and very fun to watch.

Very smart, can make a quick read, but not necessarily a quick release. He was one of the reasons some were turned off by Blaine Gabbert as a prospect. People looked at Gabbert's production in college, compared it to Daniels' production when he was there, and said WTF? Gabbert never came close to Daniels' numbers, despite a lot more physical talent.

Probably smarter than Colt McCoy but no more physically gifted. Maybe his arm has gotten stronger since he turned pro, its possible, I suppose. But not likely.

So another bag of burning dogsh**, got it. / thread.

OLDSRIP
01-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Am I missing something?

Well, that changes everything.

justasportsfan
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
he has a 108 qb rating in 2012 . Sign him!!!

RedEyE
01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
he has a 108 qb rating in 2012 . Sign him!!!

lol - no one can throw for 55 yards like Daniel!

better days
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
It's all about making the best of all of your talents using the best of your abilities, in my opinion. Size helps for sure, but it's not the end all. I personally like a guy that can throw in the pocket, but brings the extra intangible of escaping the collapsing pocket and quickly turns a negative into a positive. Speed helps, sure. But it's all about a burst and having that sixth spider sense that tingles at the right opportunity inevitably delivering him out of a negative play.

Wilson and Kap have all of that and then some. Brees, Rodgers, RGIII, Newton...hell, not to stir old pots, but Flutie had it (without going down that debate path again).

Exactly. A big guy like Roethlisburger or the Manning Bros can throw the ball while someone is hanging all over them but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Some small guys just seem to have talent than many bigger guys don't.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Yay, we gonna get a backup. I am so excited because if there's one thing the past sixteen years have taught me its that taking washedups, backups, and garbage at qb is the ticket to success:

1997: Billy Jo "not gonna read the play book" Holbert, Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt 6-10
1998 & 1999: Flutie and RJ, Flutie is a CFL legend and brings success, Robosack comes in and chokes
2000-2001: Lets play our backup on the road in the wildcard rd, well **** we lost, who saw that coming, lets trade the starter for the backup, well **** the wheels came off.
2002-2004: Washups are better than backups, and we have the best three year stretch of the past thirteen years as we go 23-25
2005-2006: Lossmania v. Kelly Hopeless
2007-2008: Lossmania v. Trinterception Edwards
2009-2010: Trinterception v. Fitztragic
2011-2012: Fitztragic

Lets be real here, we've had only two halfway decent qbs since 1997, and one was a novelty import from Canada and the other was a washup.

better days
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Yay, we gonna get a backup. I am so excited because if there's one thing the past sixteen years have taught me its that taking washedups, backups, and garbage at qb is the ticket to success:

1997: Billy Jo "not gonna read the play book" Holbert, Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt 6-10
1998 & 1999: Flutie and RJ, Flutie is a CFL legend and brings success, Robosack comes in and chokes
2000-2001: Lets play our backup on the road in the wildcard rd, well **** we lost, who saw that coming, lets trade the starter for the backup, well **** the wheels came off.
2002-2004: Washups are better than backups, and we have the best three year stretch of the past thirteen years as we go 23-25
2005-2006: Lossmania v. Kelly Hopeless
2007-2008: Lossmania v. Trinterception Edwards
2009-2010: Trinterception v. Fitztragic
2011-2012: Fitztragic

Lets be real here, we've had only two halfway decent qbs since 1997, and one was a novelty import from Canada and the other was a washup.

Well, the Bills are going to need a back up QB as well as a starter. I am all for bringing in as many as possible & let them fight it out who starts. We need at least 2 NEW QBs maybe 3 before the start of next season.

Mr. Pink
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd assume Marrone would run an offense that was very similar if not the same as New Orleans current offense so even though Marrone and Daniel don't know each other personally, Daniel would know the system or at least most of it.

It would make sense to bring in a guy who knows the system in case the starter you end up going to, whomever that may be, can't or doesn't grasp it.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Well, the Bills are going to need a back up QB as well as a starter. I am all for bringing in as many as possible & let them fight it out who starts. We need at least 2 NEW QBs maybe 3 before the start of next season.

I agree, I wouldn't even be against be against bringing in that ball polisher you keep hyping, what's his name? Tiny Tim or something. He'd be a great rival for fitz or the backup position.

YardRat
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Chase Daniel.
T.Jackson
First or second-round QB.
UDFA QB.

Anybody uncomfortable going into OTA's and camp with that squad?

Mouldsie
01-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Bring him in to compete. We have no QB's on our roster in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Chase Daniel.
T.Jackson
UDFA QB.

I'd like to replace Tarvaris with Alex Smith or Vick.

Extremebillsfan247
01-14-2013, 03:10 PM
You know why I don't like the idea of going after other team's backups ? because you end up with QB's like Matt Cassel, Kelly Holcomb, Kevin Kolb, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Is that what you really want? I sure don't. I'll pass on Daniel. JMO

TigerJ
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
I think the bottom line is that there may be a modest advantage to bringing Chase Daniels in. The offense at Syracuse this past season was a hybrid of the New Orleans offense and the old Bills K-gun. After Marrone left NO, the NO offense may have morphed a bit into something a little different, but probably not a whole lot different since Sean Payton is the primary offensive driver in NO. The Bills will have to weigh that familiarity against his size disadvantage and any other factors that go into the evaluation. Obviously, Drew Brees works well in that offense at the same size, and Russel Wilson was effective for Seattle despite being even a bit smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the bottom line is that there may be a modest advantage to bringing Chase Daniels in. The offense at Syracuse this past season was a hybrid of the New Orleans offense and the old Bills K-gun. After Marrone left NO, the NO offense may have morphed a bit into something a little different, but probably not a whole lot different since Sean Payton is the primary offensive driver in NO. The Bills will have to weigh that familiarity against his size disadvantage and any other factors that go into the evaluation. Obviously, Drew Brees works well in that offense at the same size, and Russel Wilson was effective for Seattle despite being even a bit smaller.

justasportsfan
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Daniels would know how to play the Saints when we play them in the sb next year . Woohoo.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
bring in alex smith, bring in chase daniel, and draft a qb in rd 1!

thats how important the position is... thats not unrealistic.

mightysimi
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Wasn't his poor play at the beginning of camp what triggered Breese's contract to get done?

Fatwhite02
01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
He eats his own boogers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEW8_KVhDFE

The Jokeman
01-14-2013, 08:39 PM

Alex Smith (probably cut soon) could be another consideration but not for the thinking previously discussed.

8 years ago, he ran a spread offense with many k-gun qualities for Urban Meyer at Utah. Was 22-1 under him. Since then, 6 coordinators, asked to play under center (not his game) and losing his job to a faster read/option type QB.

Shotgun, 2 reads max and out comes the ball quickly. That's what you saw Nassib doing at Syracuse this past season in those highlights. That was Smith at Utah. Your accuracy has to be in the 10-20 yard range while the receiver makes more yardage after. So an average to good arm isn't a negative if the completion percentage is good. Smith is very accurate. Not the worst idea while a younger guy develops.

Alex Smith was horrible before Harbaugh arrived and as great as he's played Harbaugh elected to go with Kaepernick. That tells me all I need to know about him. In other words let him go to the Jets and suck there.

The Jokeman
01-14-2013, 08:41 PM
In terms of Chase Daniel, the guy has thrown 9 NFL passes in his career. I'm all for bringing him to be a 3rd stringer but nothing more.

The Jokeman
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Chase Daniel.
T.Jackson
UDFA QB.

That's okay but I'd prefer

Jason Campbell
1st or 2nd or 3rd Round QB
Brad Smith
UDFA QB

YardRat
01-14-2013, 09:33 PM
I think Brad Smith should be gone.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-14-2013, 09:48 PM
In terms of Chase Daniel, the guy has thrown 9 NFL passes in his career. I'm all for bringing him to be a 3rd stringer but nothing more.

u never know with those types... kurt warner comes to mind. i would give him a shot, but still bring in a alex smith or rd 1 qb

BertSquirtgum
01-14-2013, 11:17 PM
That's okay but I'd prefer Jason Campbell 1st or 2nd or 3rd Round QB Brad Smith UDFA QB Did you see Jason Campbell play this year? I would rather the Bills keep Fitzputrid.

clumping platelets
01-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Fitzpatrick
Daniels
draft choice (Dysert - 3rd rd)
UDFA

Keep Ryan for another season

IlluminatusUIUC
01-15-2013, 12:34 AM
That's okay but I'd prefer

Jason Campbell
1st or 2nd or 3rd Round QB
Brad Smith
UDFA QB

Smith is not a QB and doesn't belong on our QB depth chart.

jamze132
01-15-2013, 03:18 AM

Hence the reason we should do what it takes to get this guy in a Bills uniform.

The Jokeman
01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Smith is not a QB and doesn't belong on our QB depth chart.

For what it's worth over their careers Smith has as many regular season NFL pass attempts as Chase Daniels does.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-15-2013, 01:07 PM
For what it's worth over their careers Smith has as many regular season NFL pass attempts as Chase Daniels does.

Daniel has been sitting and learning QB behind one of the best in the game for 4 seasons. One who, unfortunately for Daniel, never gets hurt and rarely sits in blowouts. Smith has been playing wideout and kick returner for 6 years. If some team had committed to making Smith a QB back when they got him, they might have something by now. But the guy's already 29 years old, that ship sailed years ago.

Note that I don't actually want Daniel, but he's a much better QB project than Smith.

The Jokeman
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Daniel has been sitting and learning QB behind one of the best in the game for 4 seasons. One who, unfortunately for Daniel, never gets hurt and rarely sits in blowouts. Smith has been playing wideout and kick returner for 6 years. If some team had committed to making Smith a QB back when they got him, they might have something by now. But the guy's already 29 years old, that ship sailed years ago.

Note that I don't actually want Daniel, but he's a much better QB project than Smith.

and if your hoping for your 3rd string QB to be great then you're a real dreamer. Personally I could care less who our 3rd QB is. Infact some teams only have 2 QBs on their active rosters.

better days
01-17-2013, 01:47 PM

I heard someone on SIRIUS say a QB can not learn sitting on the bench because watching film, you are watching someone elses mistakes not your own.

justasportsfan
01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I heard someone on SIRIUS say a QB can not learn sitting on the bench because watching film, you are watching someone elses mistakes not your own.

you have to get your body to actually do the things you just learned.

THATHURMANATOR
01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Are we really talking about CHASE DANIELS?????

Keep Fitz over this guy. Are we kidding?

RedEyE
01-17-2013, 06:57 PM
I dont think anyone here is saying he's the next Tom Brady but the Bills should leave no stone unturned in their search. The QB draft class is a bit pathetic. Hell Kiper doesn't even have a QB going in the 1st round. I'm not a fan of Kiper but his one and only job is to evaluate these guys. Not seeing any of them being drafted in round 1 really speaks volumes on the level of talent.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
and if your hoping for your 3rd string QB to be great then you're a real dreamer. Personally I could care less who our 3rd QB is. Infact some teams only have 2 QBs on their active rosters.

IMO the 3rd QB slot should be for some kind of longshot project. I don't care who it is TBH, I would have been ok with anyone up to and including Case Keenum. But you should be training them to play QB and that is not what we've been doing with Smith.

A QB may not learn from the bench, but he certainly doesn't learn to play QB from playing wide receiver or returning kicks.

Mouldsie
01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
I must be missing the posts that say to sign Daniels and annoint him the savior..... It's worth considering signing a guy to compete who has been in the league and should be able to pick up the offense quickly.

trapezeus
01-18-2013, 04:10 PM
chase daniels, guy who was on a good team for a long time, or tjax who has been jettisoned from 2 teams?

the bills QB situation is dire. a smart person would say "we have no qb's on our roster" and essentially look to get 3 new ones for competition. you are drafting 1 or 2, and you are going to get a low level FA. even if you go after the big names like a romo or sanchez or rivers, you aren't getting a peyton. you aren't getting a brees. you are getting a backup somewhere.

I would rather get a guy who was a backup, pay him some money, and avoid getting a romo or sanchez who is nothing but a back up but has it stuck in their head that they are better than that.

mikemac2001
01-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Danials 2 Rookies

Danials Alex smith rookie

FA QB 2 Rookies

pretty much what i am looking at fitz is done and idk about tjax

cookie G
01-18-2013, 05:31 PM

I'll say it in the academic, for what it's worth style too, but there is noooo comparison between Brad Smith and Daniel. Not at QB at least.

At Mizzou, Brad Smith was a runner who occasionally passed. Their offense was so-so.

Daniel threw for over 12000 yards and 100 TD's in his 3 years as a starter. In his last 2 years, Mizzou had a top 10 offense in the NCAA. They haven't been close since. The Chase Daniel years was basically the Golden Era for Missouri.

In terms of QB stuff, like reading a defense, going through progressions and hitting an open receiver, its like comparing a QB to...a wildcat QB.

Not that I'd want either one, but if I had to take either, it wouldn't be close.

Now, if you can figure a way to morph Blaine Gabbert's talent into Chase Daniel, or vice versa, you'd have a hell of a QB.

better days
01-18-2013, 09:29 PM
chase daniels, guy who was on a good team for a long time, or tjax who has been jettisoned from 2 teams?

the bills QB situation is dire. a smart person would say "we have no qb's on our roster" and essentially look to get 3 new ones for competition. you are drafting 1 or 2, and you are going to get a low level FA. even if you go after the big names like a romo or sanchez or rivers, you aren't getting a peyton. you aren't getting a brees. you are getting a backup somewhere.

I would rather get a guy who was a backup, pay him some money, and avoid getting a romo or sanchez who is nothing but a back up but has it stuck in their head that they are better than that.

Chase Daniels, a guy who was on a good team while under his rookie contract. Just like T Jax. I would not mind him in the mix as long as it is CHEAP.