X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdbillsfan2
    • Apr 2005

What would you do as OC

Would you try to fit the system around the QB's abilities or try to mold the QB around the system ? Might make a difference on any future qb headed this way. Pocket passer or scambler .... a thinker or instinct player..
    your thoughts?

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "
  • Bangarang
    • Sep 2010

Re: What would you do as OC

Step 1: Give Spiller the ball
    Step 2: See step 1

I prefer a pocket passer. I also think you can have a healthy combination of fitting the system to the QB and developing him to run your own system.
    Last edited by Bangarang; 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• MTBillsFan
      • May 2003

Run CJ.
      Send me some wings!

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

Certain schemes can protect the QB. Which is always why I have been a fan of the west coast offense. Short safe throws that present an opportunity for YAC. And you run 55% of the time. It helps a QB develop confidence, make quick reads and stay upright. Very few QB's can come in and use the deep ball like Luck did this year.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by The King View Post
          Certain schemes can protect the QB. Which is always why I have been a fan of the west coast offense. Short safe throws that present an opportunity for YAC. And you run 55% of the time. It helps a QB develop confidence, make quick reads and stay upright. Very few QB's can come in and use the deep ball like Luck did this year.
          The WCO also takes advantage of TEs, FBs etc. So it really is a great base offense to work out of. I've always been a fan of dink and dunk offenses because they allow you to control the game and allow your defense to rest.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
            The WCO also takes advantage of TEs, FBs etc. So it really is a great base offense to work out of. I've always been a fan of dink and dunk offenses because they allow you to control the game and allow your defense to rest.
            Which would actually be my biggest concern. I dont think Chandler is athletic enough to be a key player in a west coast offense.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

It's crucial that the coaches develop an offense around the personnel's strengths and weaknesses. If not, see NY jets.

Comment

• Mski
                • Mar 2006

1. give CJ the ball
                2. give CJ the ball
                3. get a QB who, when asked to pass, can hit an almost always open SJ13

i think if the offense can do 2 of those three effectively, it will be better than it has this year
                RIP Tommy D!
                12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Any OC that tries to make a QB fit his system will fail unless the QB has the skill set to play in that system. Joe Montana would have failed in the Oakland Raiders system.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Jul 2007

Don't give Lenny the rabbit.
                    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• DynaPaul
                      • Sep 2003

You need a QB first. We're not going to get anything done with Fitzy.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        Which would actually be my biggest concern. I dont think Chandler is athletic enough to be a key player in a west coast offense.
                        Then you shell out some money and bring in Jermichael Finley or Dustin Keller or Fred Davis or Jared Cook.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                          I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                          Then you shell out some money and bring in Jermichael Finley or Dustin Keller or Fred Davis or Jared Cook.
                          Are they FA? What FA TE's would you pay for?
                          The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by The last buffalo fan View Post
                            Are they FA? What FA TE's would you pay for?
                            All are due to become UFA except Finley but he's due to be a cap cut. In terms of how much I'd pay for any of the aforementioned I haven't looked at what the market is for a starting TE but would definately give any of them that money as consider each an upgrade over Chandler.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

As OC I would make my offense the best in the league. Oh, you want to know how I'd go about it. I don't have a clue. I don't know this stuff.

Knowing the Bills situation: I consider Ryan Fitzpatrick a failed experiment that should be ended. That means, Buffalo has only retreads available, retreads that have already failed in one way or another. The Bills CAN NOT rely on what they've got. If they want to sign Tarvaris Jackson to an extension/new contract and let him compete, fine, but they have to go out and find someone that they thing has a reasonable chance of becoming a quality QB. Hackett should absolutely look at his core players and shape his scheme to what he's got. He might feel like there are a couple additions he can make to his player personnel, and that's fine. As far as the Bills QB situation is concerned, I fully expect him to give input as to the skill set he'd like that QB to have. It might be somewhat different, if when he had arrived the Bills already had a quality QB, but then Chan Gailey might never have been fired.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X