PDA

View Full Version : What would you do as OC

sdbillsfan2
01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Would you try to fit the system around the QB's abilities or try to mold the QB around the system ? Might make a difference on any future qb headed this way. Pocket passer or scambler .... a thinker or instinct player..
your thoughts?

Bangarang
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Step 1: Give Spiller the ball
Step 2: See step 1

I prefer a pocket passer. I also think you can have a healthy combination of fitting the system to the QB and developing him to run your own system.

MTBillsFan
01-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Run CJ.

The King
01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Certain schemes can protect the QB. Which is always why I have been a fan of the west coast offense. Short safe throws that present an opportunity for YAC. And you run 55% of the time. It helps a QB develop confidence, make quick reads and stay upright. Very few QB's can come in and use the deep ball like Luck did this year.

The Jokeman
01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Certain schemes can protect the QB. Which is always why I have been a fan of the west coast offense. Short safe throws that present an opportunity for YAC. And you run 55% of the time. It helps a QB develop confidence, make quick reads and stay upright. Very few QB's can come in and use the deep ball like Luck did this year.

The WCO also takes advantage of TEs, FBs etc. So it really is a great base offense to work out of. I've always been a fan of dink and dunk offenses because they allow you to control the game and allow your defense to rest.

The King
01-15-2013, 02:18 PM
The WCO also takes advantage of TEs, FBs etc. So it really is a great base offense to work out of. I've always been a fan of dink and dunk offenses because they allow you to control the game and allow your defense to rest.

Which would actually be my biggest concern. I dont think Chandler is athletic enough to be a key player in a west coast offense.

jamze132
01-16-2013, 06:16 AM
It's crucial that the coaches develop an offense around the personnel's strengths and weaknesses. If not, see NY jets.

Mski
01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
1. give CJ the ball
2. give CJ the ball
3. get a QB who, when asked to pass, can hit an almost always open SJ13

i think if the offense can do 2 of those three effectively, it will be better than it has this year

better days
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Any OC that tries to make a QB fit his system will fail unless the QB has the skill set to play in that system. Joe Montana would have failed in the Oakland Raiders system.

ServoBillieves
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't give Lenny the rabbit.

DynaPaul
01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
You need a QB first. We're not going to get anything done with Fitzy.

The Jokeman
01-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Which would actually be my biggest concern. I dont think Chandler is athletic enough to be a key player in a west coast offense.

Then you shell out some money and bring in Jermichael Finley or Dustin Keller or Fred Davis or Jared Cook.

The last buffalo fan
01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Then you shell out some money and bring in Jermichael Finley or Dustin Keller or Fred Davis or Jared Cook.

Are they FA? What FA TE's would you pay for?

The Jokeman
01-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Are they FA? What FA TE's would you pay for?

All are due to become UFA except Finley but he's due to be a cap cut. In terms of how much I'd pay for any of the aforementioned I haven't looked at what the market is for a starting TE but would definately give any of them that money as consider each an upgrade over Chandler.

TigerJ
01-18-2013, 07:17 AM
As OC I would make my offense the best in the league. Oh, you want to know how I'd go about it. I don't have a clue. I don't know this stuff.

Knowing the Bills situation: I consider Ryan Fitzpatrick a failed experiment that should be ended. That means, Buffalo has only retreads available, retreads that have already failed in one way or another. The Bills CAN NOT rely on what they've got. If they want to sign Tarvaris Jackson to an extension/new contract and let him compete, fine, but they have to go out and find someone that they thing has a reasonable chance of becoming a quality QB. Hackett should absolutely look at his core players and shape his scheme to what he's got. He might feel like there are a couple additions he can make to his player personnel, and that's fine. As far as the Bills QB situation is concerned, I fully expect him to give input as to the skill set he'd like that QB to have. It might be somewhat different, if when he had arrived the Bills already had a quality QB, but then Chan Gailey might never have been fired.

TigerJ
01-18-2013, 07:27 AM
My priorities at QB, what I would like to see, are as follows:

1. The ability to read defenses and make quick decisions - absolutely essential.

2. Enough arm strength to make all the throws - very important.

3. At least average accuracy for an NFL QB - very important.

4. The ability to move around to buy time while waiting for a receiver to come open, and make the occasiona scramble for positive yards - important.

Once you get through that checklist, then we'll talk about elite arm strength, the ability to throw the ball 75 yards downfield with the flick of a wrist, the ability to improvise when plays break down, and world class speed.

Don't Panic
01-18-2013, 07:45 AM
We cannot overcommit to CJ. While he needs to be an integral part of the offense, it would be unwise to make him a "bellcow" back. If we don't have balance, we're going to have a hard time being successful.

I really think we can be successful with a smart, accurate, agile west coast QB. Of the four qualities that Tiger made above, I would say arm strength will be the least important in the new Bills offense. Sadly, if Fitz was more consistent with his accuracy, he would have most of the qualities necessary to be successful in what it looks like Marrone is going to run.

OpIv37
01-18-2013, 07:55 AM
What would I do as OC?

Pray?
Voodoo ceremony?
Native American rain dance?
Magic 8 ball?

We don't have the QB to be effective on O, and there aren't any available in FA or the draft who will be immediately effective.. You can run Spiller all you want, but it'll be 1 quarter into the first game before our opponents put 8 or 9 in the box every time and dare us to pass for the rest of the season.

Night Train
01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
I would try to outscore the other team, personally..

Mike
01-20-2013, 03:18 AM
Many of you are going to hate this so here we go:
1) Get Rivers: low chance at this point, but seeing as how he is significantly better than any 1st round option, I would try to trade for him. I doubt their new HC gives him up but its worth the try.
2) Sign Bowe
3) resign Byrd & Lavitre (sp?)
4) Sign one of the top TEs available.
5) Draft: LB, DB, as priorities. Focus on D

Assuming the new HC is any good, he should be able to work with Rivers, Spiller, Bowe, Johnson, Graham, new TE & Chandler, and our O-line. By week 6 the offense should be dominant. Hopefully be season's end the defense with all of the new picks will begin showing something.
Record: 8-8ish.

2014: Focus, on putting together the most dominant defense possible. Offense should flourish. Projected 11-5 and a real contender. At this point the Bills would have about a 5 year window to make a run at a SB.

If NO-Rivers:
1) Focus on Defense in draft
2) Resign players
3) keep offense that same; cut Fitz and play who ever wins at camp.
Finish season as bottom 3 team

2014: Focus on Offense
1) Draft Johnny Football: yes he will be eligible
2) Get a top WR in FA/Draft
3) Get a TE