PDA

View Full Version : What about Matt Barkley????

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Is he not even an option at 8 anymore?

Mski
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
i know im in the appearent minority here, but im okay with that

Lefty2985
01-15-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't think he is that good to be honest. His wr were great

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Really? Seems like he was a sure fire top 5 pick last year but stayed in because of RG3 and Luck.

I know he had a down year but the guy seems to be intelligent, accurate, leader, and a strong enough arm.

Why is he not even being discussed????????

justasportsfan
01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
I know he had a down year but the guy seems to be intelligent, accurate, leader, and a strong enough arm.

from what people are saying, not strong enough for buffalo weather.

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2013, 03:20 PM
from what people are saying, not strong enough for buffalo weather.

Who is saying that.

Fitz's arm was. Accuracy is just the issue.

From what I can tell Barkley's is stronger than Fitz and he throws a MUCH nicer deep ball.

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
GUYS I NEED ANSWERS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2013, 03:29 PM
You think we're pro scouts or something Thurm?

I dislike all USC QBs.

justasportsfan
01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
GUYS I NEED ANSWERS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's the next Claussen

Pinkerton Security
01-15-2013, 03:34 PM
He's the next Claussen

how so? just bc hes from USC?

Joe Fo Sho
01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Who is saying that.

Fitz's arm was. Accuracy is just the issue.

From what I can tell Barkley's is stronger than Fitz and he throws a MUCH nicer deep ball.

I don't think Fitz's arm is strong enough for Buffalo. I really think he was maxing out his arm an a lot of his throws, and that's what caused his accuracy issues. I always saw him wincing whenever he made a throw, like he was putting everything he had into that 6 yard slant pattern.

I don't know anything about Barkley though.

BuffaloWingEater
01-15-2013, 03:41 PM

clausen went to nd

MikeInRoch
01-15-2013, 03:44 PM
He's the next Sanchez.

I know I'm not a scout, but I did *not* like what I saw of him when he played SU.

zone
01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
No thanks to a lifer California QB or any USC QB for that matter.

ServoBillieves
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm going to be "that guy" and simply say he's a USC Quarterback. Doesn't work in the NFL, regardless of who the coach is/was.

I hope that I'm wrong in case we draft him, but he's one of those "WOW! Look at him!" college QB's but then you see him in the NFL and go "Wow, thank Vishnu that he is the backup in Oakland."

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
WHY GUYS?????

I need better reasons than "because he is Californian" or "because he is from USC". Those are horse**** reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Carson Palmer was F ing LIGHTS OUT before he blew out his knee. Still was solid after. Yes he is a shell now.

zone
01-15-2013, 04:00 PM
WHY GUYS?????

I need better reasons than "because he is Californian" or "because he is from USC". Those are horse**** reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Carson Palmer was F ing LIGHTS OUT before he blew out his knee. Still was solid after. Yes he is a shell now.

Ok, well then how about this; Rob Johnson and J.P. Lossman.

No Thanks to California QB's.

Albany,n.y.
01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Ok, well then how about this; Rob Johnson and J.P. Lossman.

No Thanks to California QB's.

Jack Kemp was a California QB, so are Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and John Elway. Wish to reconsider?

zone
01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Jack Kemp was a California QB, so are Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and John Elway. Wish to reconsider?

Nope, so Matt Barkley is going to be the next Aaron Rodgers or John Elway? For starters Barkley has a noodle arm and John Elway had arguably the strongest arm ever sans maybe Favre.

Hey anything is possible, but for the Bills I think they should steer clear. Rob Johnson, J.P. Lossman, Trent Edwards. It just hasn't worked out for the Bills and Cali QB's in recent years and the success that USC QB's have had has not translated into the NFL, Leinhart, JDB, Shanchez.

Ed
01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Not very big. Average arm. Average athleticism. Didn't play that well in 2012. Got hurt. Has always been surrounded by a lot of talent...

He may have seemed like a top prospect last year, but he created a lot of uncertainty this past season.

hemi13
01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
No thanks to a lifer California QB or any USC QB for that matter.

Dito NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Night Train
01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
6-1, injury prone, average arm.

Famous.. but not nearly as good as his press clippings. Don't hate him but I don't think any QB is worth #8 overall this year. .

RedEyE
01-15-2013, 05:45 PM
He had a dissapointing season but still racked some good numbers. My biggest concern would be how he plugs into the Bills offense. But I wouldn't be suprised to see him in Buffalo. Especially if Marrone reaches out to Jeremy Bates and hires him as a QB coach. As I mentioned in another thread, Bates is looking to be out of a job in Chicago. He has a history with Marrone when they were both at NYJ. Bates was a QB coach for Barkley and Tavarias Jackson.

SABURZFAN
01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Is he not even an option at 8 anymore?

:roflmao:

no thanks...

Mr. Pink
01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't take him in the third round if he was there.

Weak armed QB to begin with and has been out for months now with a sprained throwing shoulder.

Ingtar33
01-15-2013, 09:56 PM
poor decision maker, is lost when his first option is taken away from him... doesn't do anything "great", average arm, average accuracy, average pocket awareness, seems to shrink in the spotlight....

I could go on and on, but Matt Barkley's the product of playing with multiple NFL players. USC was held back by Barkley... their O-line, WR and RB were good enough to be one of the best offenses in college football, yet their QB dragged the whole operation down. People got excited about him last year because of the way his production in college continued to get better and better. That said no one talking about him last year seriously had him in the top half of round one. This year hasn't changed that one bit... if anything it's confirmed the fears people had of him last year.

mjt328
01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
You people that say he has a weak arm are insane.

http://draftbreakdown.com/matt-barkley-vs-oregon-2012
Go to :17 seconds in. Barkley throws a perfect bomb 45 yards for a touchdown without even winding up.
Then at 2:40, he throws a perfect pass 60 yards in the air.

There is absolutely no doubt Barkley has an NFL-caliber arm.

Bert102176
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Really? Seems like he was a sure fire top 5 pick last year but stayed in because of RG3 and Luck.

Why is he not even being discussed????????

HE's not very acurate, and doesn't have a very strong arm

Bert102176
01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
6-1, injury prone, average arm.

Famous.. but not nearly as good as his press clippings. Don't hate him but I don't think any QB is worth #8 overall this year. .

I don't think any QB is worth a top 20 pick maybe not even a first rd talent

Parzival
01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Never made first team PAC-12. Not once.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Never made first team PAC-12. Not once.

Sharing a conference with Andrew Luck will do that to ya.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't complain if we took him. The draft process may change my opinion though.

Parzival
01-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Sharing a conference with Andrew Luck will do that to ya.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't complain if we took him. The draft process may change my opinion though.

Did the Colts play in the Pac-12 this year? No Andrew Luck to beat him out in 2012.

He threw 2 or more interceptions 6 times this year. All with probably the best WR corps in college ball.

paladin warrior
01-16-2013, 01:19 AM
:no: sorry....... Let NY Jet have him

jamze132
01-16-2013, 06:04 AM
Well I hope we aren't looking at any QB in the 1st RD. We can re-sign T. Jackson and go after Alex Smith when he's on the trade block or released. We can then draft a developmental prospect later.

Bottom line, this draft class is weak. We shouldn't put all of our eggs into ANY QB in this draft. The only guy I would even consider at #8 is Geno Smith, but again I'm hoping we are able to lock up T. Jackson and get Alex Smith so we don't have to worry about it.

Depending on what SF is asking for Alex Smith, a 2nd RD pick might be enough to get him. And I'm pretty sure giving up a 2nd RD pick for an established NFL veteran at a key position is better than spending a 2nd RD pick in this draft on an unknown.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-16-2013, 06:04 AM
Did the Colts play in the Pac-12 this year? No Andrew Luck to beat him out in 2012.

He threw 2 or more interceptions 6 times this year. All with probably the best WR corps in college ball.

He didn't deserve it this year and I never said he did. But in 2011 when he played his way in to Top 5 Pick contention, Luck beat him out with an even better season.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Nope, so Matt Barkley is going to be the next Aaron Rodgers or John Elway? For starters Barkley has a noodle arm and John Elway had arguably the strongest arm ever sans maybe Favre.

Hey anything is possible, but for the Bills I think they should steer clear. Rob Johnson, J.P. Lossman, Trent Edwards. It just hasn't worked out for the Bills and Cali QB's in recent years and the success that USC QB's have had has not translated into the NFL, Leinhart, JDB, Shanchez.

So he is going to be Rob Johnson or Leinert?

He doesn't have a noodle arm.

I am not in love with picking him but man I just am not sure on Nassib, Glennon, or Wilson either.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Well I hope we aren't looking at any QB in the 1st RD. We can re-sign T. Jackson and go after Alex Smith when he's on the trade block or released. We can then draft a developmental prospect later.

Bottom line, this draft class is weak. We shouldn't put all of our eggs into ANY QB in this draft. The only guy I would even consider at #8 is Geno Smith, but again I'm hoping we are able to lock up T. Jackson and get Alex Smith so we don't have to worry about it.

Depending on what SF is asking for Alex Smith, a 2nd RD pick might be enough to get him. And I'm pretty sure giving up a 2nd RD pick for an established NFL veteran at a key position is better than spending a 2nd RD pick in this draft on an unknown.

I don't feel Smith is all that much better than Fitz. I wouldn't want to give up anything for him.

justasportsfan
01-16-2013, 08:58 AM

I was kidding. Thurm wanted us to draft Claussen.

When I think about it, Barkley is highly talked about coming out of college compared to Brady. Because of that, I cannot just come out and say that he's going to be a bust. Then again you can say the same about any of the top qb's coming out of college in comparison to Brady. I just want a qb with a higher ceiling than Barkley.

For some reason , Barkley's hype reminds me that of Gabbert.

trapezeus
01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
plays weak competion and performed poorly against better teams. USC qb's just don't have it at the nfl

better days
01-16-2013, 09:45 AM

I would be happy to see the Bills resign TJax & sign Smith, but I would not want to give up a 2nd rnd pick for Smith. The 49ers will have to cut him unless they can get some team to trade for him. A 2nd or even a 3rd is too much to give up for him IMO. I would give up a 4th & no higher for Smith.

MTBillsFan
01-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I guy I work with know's Barkley and his family. The kid is a solid human being, good heart, a leader, and overall nice guy. However, does this make him a starter in the NFL? No, and the same can be said about Fitzy. I like the idea of a kid from western PA. A few good qbs have come out of that region...

Wolffman
01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
That Luck guy turned out OK being from Cali. So did that Aaron Rodgers guy.

Not drafting a QB because of what school he went to or what state he's from is absurd. You can find busts from every state and every school. Barkley even played for a different HC than the previous USC flops.

better days
01-16-2013, 12:55 PM
That Luck guy turned out OK being from Cali. So did that Aaron Rodgers guy.

Not drafting a QB because of what school he went to or what state he's from is absurd. You can find busts from every state and every school. Barkley even played for a different HC than the previous USC flops.

Well, like Marrone said "I want someone that WANTS to be here". I don't think any QB from Cal will WANT to be in Buffalo.

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Well, like Marrone said "I want someone that WANTS to be here". I don't think any QB from Cal will WANT to be in Buffalo.
Can't say that though, Rodgers in Wisconsin is quite a change for him.

Wolffman
01-16-2013, 01:22 PM

You should get over your inferiority complex. It doesn't do anyone any good.

better days
01-16-2013, 01:24 PM
You should get over your inferiority complex. It doesn't do anyone any good.

What are you talking about?

k-oneputt
01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Kelly didn't want to be here at first either.
Now he lives here.
This shouldn't even be an issue.

For the record, I like Barkley and would be glad if they draft him.

Mski
01-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Can't say that though, Rodgers in Wisconsin is quite a change for him.and on draft day he didnt seem too thrilled to be going there either, although im sure now he wouldnt want to leave

better days
01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Can't say that though, Rodgers in Wisconsin is quite a change for him.

Yes it is, & I doubt he would have chosen to be there if given a choice between going to Green Bay behind Favre or going to a team in Cal.

better days
01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Now he lives here.

Kelly is from PA. Much closer to home for him than a guy from Cal. Kelly was & is an East Coast guy.

k-oneputt
01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Kelly is from PA. Much closer to home for him than a guy from Cal. Kelly was & is an East Coast guy.

True, but still didn't want to come to Buffalo at first.

This issue still shouldn't even be a factor in drafting a player, unless you feel the weather conditions could effect his play.

better days
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
True, but still didn't want to come to Buffalo at first.

This issue still shouldn't even be a factor in drafting a player, unless you feel the weather conditions could effect his play.

I agree, but all things being equal, in other words a guy that played in the East or Midwest, VS a guy from the West Coast with a similar skill set, I would prefer the East Coast Midwest QB because I think he would feel more comfortable in Buffalo.

And I think the weather conditions in Buffalo would have a big effect on Barkley.

k-oneputt
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
That's your opinion, I don't think it will effect Barkley anymore then it would any of the other top qb's in the draft.

If given a choice between Barkley or Nassib, I would take Barkley.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Marrone will be holding his breath for a long, long time if he expects anyone who is any good to actually want to be in Buffalo for anything more than an oversized paycheck.

Heck, 10% of Erie County's population fled last decade. That should tell you all you need to know about how great this area is. Nobody, NFL player or otherwise, wants to be here.

Mike
01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Now he lives here.

It is not about the region but about the team. During the SB years players were dying to come to Buffalo and avoiding teams like the Bucs, Cards, Pats, Jets, etc... Great players want to win regardless if its Green Bay or Tampa Bay.

Mike
01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
and on draft day he didnt seem too thrilled to be going there either, although im sure now he wouldnt want to leave

He has publicly stated how dropping out of the Top10 gave him a chip on his shoulder. Also, GB had Brett Favre so it was obvious it would be a few years before he got his shot.

k-oneputt
01-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the update Mike.

So why again should we not take certain qb's ? Something about Calif. and not wanting to be in Buffalo ?

TigerJ
01-16-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't absolutely reject him, but I'm real wary. The strength issue, the alleged small hands, the history of USC QBs trying to transition to the pros, all of it makes me nervous. The only USC QB in memory to have even moderate success in the NFL was Carson Palmer, and I don't think he's headed to the Hall of Fame any time soon. Mark Sanchez certainly hasn't been very impressive. If he has a great combine, maybe I'll warm up to him a bit.

Mike
01-16-2013, 08:29 PM
I don't absolutely reject him, but I'm real wary. The strength issue, the alleged small hands, the history of USC QBs trying to transition to the pros, all of it makes me nervous. The only USC QB in memory to have even moderate success in the NFL was Carson Palmer, and I don't think he's headed to the Hall of Fame any time soon. Mark Sanchez certainly hasn't been very impressive. If he has a great combine, maybe I'll warm up to him a bit.

Fom what I've read there is a big difference in how Sanchez and Barkley grade out coming out of USC. Sanchez had a very limited college career whereas Barkley has been there for 4 years. His skill set is also superior to Sanchez's.

better days
01-16-2013, 08:35 PM
That's your opinion, I don't think it will effect Barkley anymore then it would any of the other top qb's in the draft.

If given a choice between Barkley or Nassib, I would take Barkley.

I'm not a big fan of Nassib but at least I know he is used to SNOW. I would take Glennon over both myself.

better days
01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Marrone will be holding his breath for a long, long time if he expects anyone who is any good to actually want to be in Buffalo for anything more than an oversized paycheck.

Heck, 10% of Erie County's population fled last decade. That should tell you all you need to know about how great this area is. Nobody, NFL player or otherwise, wants to be here.

People left the area for for financial reasons. An NFL player does not have that problem.

I'm just saying someone from the East to Midwest would be a better fit for Buffalo than someone from the West Coast. Fitz is a perfect example. Had he lived in Buffalo year round, maybe he would have improved his game where he was halfway decent, but he fled to Arizona ASAP.

Beebe's Kid
01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
I would take him in the 9th round if he is available. Last year, I would have traded the world for him, but now that Mel Kiper doesn't think very much of him, I know that he doesn't want to play in Buffalo. There are an unlimited amount of QB positions in the NFL, and I am sure that he would probably take any of them except for Buffalo. He doesn't have a strong arm, he has small hands, and he smells like cabbage. He was created in the same hyperbolic chamber as Rob Johnson, and we all know how that worked out. Also every QB that has ever played at USC is the same, so it makes perfect sense to compare him to all of them. Jim Kelly was from PA, so we should just take a QB from there...I mean we all want another Jim Kelly, and seem to think that there is another one going to come through the door at any time. I mean he needs to be a "franchise QB," because they make or break a team. There is no accounting for a system, or other players, so there is a lot of pressure, and I don't know if Barkley would be able to handle that, because there hasn't been a lot of good NFL QBs whose last name starts with B.

I don't think there is a QB that will work available, that means my prediction is bullet proof, as long as the Bills don't win the Super Bowl. And let us not kid ourselves, Buddy Nix will screw the pooch and draft the guy that will be next R. Kelly, while we are all hoping for Jimbo.