PDA

View Full Version : Mario's former backup now his coach.

Oaf
01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Anthony Weaver was a DE for the Texans 06-08. Now he'll be telling Mario what to do/how to improve his game. Chris Brown calls it an "interesting dynamic". Don't mean to be a neg. nancy, but it's hard for me to understand how he could help Mario improve/get the most out of his game. JMO.. maybe it ends up helping.

ParanoidAndroid
01-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Players need an outside view to help them. A coach is a coach, whether they have playing experience or not.

coastal
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Here's hoping he comes bearing wrist wraps.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Gary Kubiak was John Elways backup for many years, and were drafted together in 1983. (Elway in round 1, Kubiak in round 8) and Kubiak was in Elways final years his QB coach and I believe O-Coordinator.

The point being, it can work and should not be a problem

zone
01-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Anthony Weaver was a DE for the Texans 06-08. Now he'll be telling Mario what to do/how to improve his game. Chris Brown calls it an "interesting dynamic". Don't mean to be a neg. nancy, but it's hard for me to understand how he could help Mario improve/get the most out of his game. JMO.. maybe it ends up helping.

Those who can't do... coach.

The last buffalo fan
01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
I just saw Bill Billicheat at Canton!

TedMock
01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
My hopes are 1. He is just a good coach and 2. He has great insight into what makes Mario tick since he's seen it first hand.

Oaf
01-15-2013, 09:19 PM
My hopes are 1. He is just a good coach and 2. He has great insight into what makes Mario tick since he's seen it first hand.

For sure. Sometimes to me at least, Mario doesn't come across as the most "teachable" player. And even if I was in his position, I feel like if a former backup was showing me what to do, it'd be hard to avoid just dismissing it or saying something like, "dude, I know what I'm doing here."

TrEd FTW
01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Sometimes you're a better coach than you were a player and vice versa. Wayne Gretzky, for example, failed miserably as an NHL coach.

jamze132
01-16-2013, 06:11 AM
For sure. Sometimes to me at least, Mario doesn't come across as the most "teachable" player. And even if I was in his position, I feel like if a former backup was showing me what to do, it'd be hard to avoid just dismissing it or saying something like, "dude, I know what I'm doing here."

Mario Williams doesn't need anyone to "teach" him anything really. But having a guy who can watch for certain things or bad habits is something that every NFL player needs. That's what role he would play in dealing with a veteran like M. Williams.

Jeff1220
01-16-2013, 07:06 AM
No matter how physically talented or capable a guy may be, he could have an amazing ability to help in the film room, explain why a position player got beat, what techniques need to be more sound, etc. I don't see a problem with this. From this perspective, what could Tyrone Wheatley possibly have to teach any starting running backs?

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-16-2013, 08:34 AM
on a similar note, the reason I believe why hall of fame players almost never make great coaches and players who were 'scrubs' or backups become coaches is because the less talented players had to rely more on great technique, good habits and intelligence as opposed to just raw talent like many hall of famers and other greats.

trapezeus
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM

That isn't a type of player you want though. i get your point, but the coaches should be more hands on in terms of watching film, knowing hte opponent and knowing his own players. To be able to say, "i notice you get lesser results when you do so and so. i watched the opponent and they'll stop that again with this blocking scheme, let's try this other approach or try bring DT into your space to spring you free."

if mario or any player is dismissive of that and says, "i'm just awesome, i'll do it my way." you got a problem on your hands.

Mski
01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
i dont think anyone who makes it to the NFL starting level needs to be "taught" anything. What they need is someone to sit there and go over the tape with them, and point out the little things they did wrong. its hard to look at yourself and pick out the mistakes. most of the players will know how to fix the mistakes once they notice them

Oaf
01-16-2013, 11:16 AM
i dont think anyone who makes it to the NFL starting level needs to be "taught" anything. What they need is someone to sit there and go over the tape with them, and point out the little things they did wrong. its hard to look at yourself and pick out the mistakes. most of the players will know how to fix the mistakes once they notice them

Right on. I'm not saying it's a problem. Just a point of conversation. What you guys are saying makes sense.