PDA

View Full Version : BBD: NFL Draft's Worst Kept Secret...Bills want Nassib

DraftBoy
01-15-2013, 06:34 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/01/nfl-drafts-worst-kept-secret-bills-want-nassib-bad/

If you’re a fan of a NFL team the last thing you ever want to hear is that your team’s plans are well known. That little problem appears to be happening for the Buffalo Bills as the talk around the Shrine Game is that the Bills want Ryan Nassib bad and everybody knows it. It’s at this point that I want to remind you all that it is January 15th and the draft is still 99 days away.

RedEyE
01-15-2013, 06:51 PM
For arguement sake let's say the Bills don't really want him. He sure does make a great decoy.

And from Marrone's perspective (or from the perspective of any coach in college football), if given the choice out of all the current QBs in college, do you honestly think Nassib tops the list?

Just something to think about.

Novacane
01-15-2013, 06:56 PM
He'll be there at 8. If they think he's a franchise QB they should take him.

YardRat
01-15-2013, 06:58 PM
'Everybody knows it' because everybody is connecting the same dots that others have in the last week-and-a-half. That doesn't make it the truth.

THRILLHO
01-15-2013, 06:59 PM
The draft is only 99 days away? Sweet!

ServoBillieves
01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Oh ****! That must be true since Nassib went to Syracuse and our new HC was the HC at Cuse! WOW!

Jaybird
01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
doesn't mean much... teams can not plan their draft aroudn what they think the bills will do. everyone has their own board and player ratings

DraftBoy
01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
'Everybody knows it' because everybody is connecting the same dots that others have in the last week-and-a-half. That doesn't make it the truth.

Ill take the word of somebody who is talking to actual NFL scouts and front office people over the speculation you are trying to paint with the same brush, no?

BidsJr
01-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Ill take the word of somebody who is talking to actual NFL scouts and front office people over the speculation you are trying to paint with the same brush, no?

You mean the speculation of NFL scouts. Which is indeed still speculation.

GingerP
01-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Kind of ironic after everyone connected the dots between Ryan Tannehill last year and Miami after Mike Sherman was hired as OC. They ended up taking him 8th, which was much higher than he was projected about this time a year ago. The Bills pick 8th this year. It's like deja'-vu.

Thundering Buffalo
01-15-2013, 08:43 PM
What makes Nassib a fit for the Bills is the fact that he knows the system, this fact is not true with other NFL teams. The real question is does that make him worth the 8th pick in the draft. Tannehill has done pretty well under Philbins system in Miami

cookie G
01-15-2013, 08:49 PM
I bet they don't bother evaluating anyone else.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-15-2013, 08:54 PM
with the bills track record in the draft I highly doubt any other team will try to pay attention to what buffalo does... in fact if the bills say something its a safe bet the rest of the league will snicker and do the opposite

YardRat
01-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Yes, because I'm sure the first thing on Brandon and Marrone's list of things to do was shoot a memo league-wide to advise everybody of their draft plans.

Unless, of course, you want to have Lammey reveal his source within the Bills organization that makes his 'safe assumption' far more credible than anybody else's Sherlock Holmes impression.

ThunderGun
01-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Well I was sure we would draft Derrick Morgan or Demaryius Thomas, because they both played for Gailey at GT and they were both positions that we desperately needed.

clumping platelets
01-15-2013, 11:30 PM
At least trade down a few spots before you take him in 1st rd :rolleyes:

kishoph
01-16-2013, 03:17 AM
At least trade down a few spots before you take him in 1st rd :rolleyes:

If they're convinced that he's their guy, why would they risk trading down and end up losing him ? There's no telling how fast QB's can go. Now with a rookie salary cap, teams won't be so quick to shy away from drafting a QB based on potential, in the 1st round.

Electrici
01-16-2013, 03:20 AM
with the bills track record in the draft I highly doubt any other team will try to pay attention to what buffalo does... in fact if the bills say something its a safe bet the rest of the league will snicker and do the opposite

Took my thoughts right out of my mind.

jamze132
01-16-2013, 05:59 AM
If they're convinced that he's their guy, why would they risk trading down and end up losing him ? There's no telling how fast QB's can go. Now with a rookie salary cap, teams won't be so quick to shy away from drafting a QB based on potential, in the 1st round.

Geno Smith

Night Train
01-16-2013, 06:42 AM
It's a connect the dots assumption that may or may not be true..but the off-season hasn't even started yet.

kingJofNYC
01-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Last year all you read about when it came to the Jets draft was how much they loved Courtney Upshaw, happened over and over again. Didn't draft him however, I'm sure they liked him but not as much as the media types reported. A few teams probably like Nassib but they don't like him enough to take him in the first half of the draft, that's just not happening.

TigerJ
01-16-2013, 07:20 AM
'Everybody knows it' because everybody is connecting the same dots that others have in the last week-and-a-half. That doesn't make it the truth. I very much agree. "It" could be very true, but as of yet, nobody, including this Cecil Lammey has actually said, "People in the Bills' organization are quoted as saying they intend to draft Nassib." It's just too easy to assume that because the Bills tabbed oug Marrone to be their head coach, and Marrone brough a good chunk of Syracuse's offensive staff with him, that, of course, the Bills will want Nassib.

trapezeus
01-16-2013, 07:22 AM
it's all smoke and mirrors until the actual day. the bills are playing the game as much as any other team. whatever reported or speculated now isn't set in stone.

i just think nassib being taken ahead of wilson will be like picking someone else before jordan....obviously not as severe, but it is a set us back move.

if they take him in the second or later and have wilson, i think it's a smart move.
if they take him in the second or later and we don't have a QB, i think it's a smart move.

starting the insanity at qb and not taking the best one availble will be a dumb move.

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm not sold that they want Nassib that badly. Marrone stuck with the best QB they had in the 3 years, but if he could have any senior QB in the country, you think he'd still take Nassib? That's what's happening here at the draft, Marrone will have better choices and I think they'll want to upgrade instead of getting back to the same guy they had.

justasportsfan
01-16-2013, 09:00 AM
this is no different from people thinking that we would hire Whisenthunt because of the Whaley connection.

psubills62
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm torn on this.

I think there are plenty of reasons to dismiss this. First of all, people seem to be inferring a lot based on where Marrone came from. Second, it's draft discussions. DB, you know that I talked to a guy who scouted the combine last year. He talked to Bills scouts there and his impression was that they were going to draft Michael Floyd. They obviously didn't. Third, just from a logical standpoint, Marrone and co. are going to be doing themselves wrong by not considering all prospects out there. At all universities, including Syracuse, you will never recruit all the prospects that you want to recruit to your school. In the NFL, you have available all but the players taken before your pick.

So if this happens to be true (which is possible), this is a huge mark against Marrone. I do think it would be nice to get someone like Nassib who would know the offense and could start quickly. But I don't want to see him overdrafted at all.

Basically, I'm not buying this just yet. I'll wait to see who they actually draft. But if it turns out to be true, it will really hurt my opinion of Marrone.

TigerJ
01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
I agree that there are lots of positives to drafting Nassib. He's got a lot of great qualities as a quarterback prospect, not the least of which is the relationship he's had with Marrone and Hackett, and his familiarity with how Mackett and Marrone think when it comes to offensive football. However, I don't think there's anyone who would disagree this is a huge reach at #8 of the first round. If Buffalo drafts a different player at #8, I don't think they could fool anyone into thinking they aren't interested in Nassib a bit later, especially if they make an effort to trade up some from their spot in the second.

better days
01-16-2013, 12:52 PM
I agree that there are lots of positives to drafting Nassib. He's got a lot of great qualities as a quarterback prospect, not the least of which is the relationship he's had with Marrone and Hackett, and his familiarity with how Mackett and Marrone think when it comes to offensive football. However, I don't think there's anyone who would disagree this is a huge reach at #8 of the first round. If Buffalo drafts a different player at #8, I don't think they could fool anyone into thinking they aren't interested in Nassib a bit later, especially if they make an effort to trade up some from their spot in the second.

Well, if someone drafts Nassib before the Bills, it is not like missing out on Wilson or Kaepernick.

Ed
01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
I don't believe that any other scouts have any clue what the Bills are going to do for the simple reason that I don't believe the Bills themselves have made any kind of decisions about what they want to do. There's still 100 days before the draft and Marrone has been here a week. He hasn't even finished hiring offensive coaches. Not to mention that free agency is still more than a month away and we don't know what's going to happen there. Maybe if we were a few weeks away from the draft I'd be more inclined to believe this. Right now, unless the Chiefs come out and say "we want so and so at #1..." I don't think anyone really knows what players certain teams are targeting. It's definitely reasonable for people to speculate that the Bills could be interested in Nassib, but I don't believe at this point it's anything more than pure speculation.

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2013, 01:50 PM
I don't think they could fool anyone into thinking they aren't interested in Nassib a bit later, especially if they make an effort to trade up some from their spot in the second.
I don't think they'll need to fool anyone, and they won't. They'll try to trade with a team that isn't looking for a QB, and pay fair trade value for it. If that team wants to screw us just because they think we really really want him, then we'll trade with someone else. No big deal. Plus, one of the Nassib/Wilson/Glennon will drop to us in the 2nd even without trading up.

kishoph
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Well, if someone drafts Nassib before the Bills, it is not like missing out on Wilson or Kaepernick.

Crystal Ball ?

better days
01-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Crystal Ball ?

Past performance. Yes, I know that does not guarantee future results.

Extremebillsfan247
01-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Oh ****! That must be true since Nassib went to Syracuse and our new HC was the HC at Cuse! WOW! and Our OC, RB coach, TE coach, DB coach, and DQC coach, all of which were members of Syracuse. But yeah, must be true.... ... .. . right? lol

kishoph
01-17-2013, 05:16 AM

Past performance. Yes, I know that does not guarantee future results.

I'm sure the same was thought about Wilson and Kaepernick by many people also, but they both turned out to be worth a 1st round pick, Seattle and San Francisco were fortunate they they did fall to them. I just believe that if the Bills are sure that a QB is the man for them, don't chance losing him by waiting, there's too many teams that will be looking at QB's to assume that anyone of them will fall to a later round.

Buddo
01-17-2013, 05:32 AM
They might well want to draft Nassib. I don't necessarily have a problem with that. The question that is more relevant, is in what round do they want to draft him?
2nd round or lower, then I don't see any issues, and if the current prognosticators are to be believed, there might not be much activity on QBs as early as people expect.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Flynn moved somewhere, and if that happens, there's one less team after a QB. For all the Seahawks might want a high pick for him, I don't believe that will happen in a hurry, due to the contract he signed. They might just squeeze a 3rd rounder out of someone, but I can't see anything more than that, unless Flynn agrees to a big re-structure.

Of course, things could go the other way, and a feeding frenzy starts from the top of the draft with KC, but I doubt that that happens. My guess would be that the proverbial hits the fan at the end of round one, and that teams who want a QB, grab them from there into the second round.

Extremebillsfan247
01-17-2013, 05:48 AM
They might well want to draft Nassib. I don't necessarily have a problem with that. The question that is more relevant, is in what round do they want to draft him? 2nd round or lower, then I don't see any issues, and if the current prognosticators are to be believed, there might not be much activity on QBs as early as people expect. It wouldn't surprise me to see Flynn moved somewhere, and if that happens, there's one less team after a QB. For all the Seahawks might want a high pick for him, I don't believe that will happen in a hurry, due to the contract he signed. They might just squeeze a 3rd rounder out of someone, but I can't see anything more than that, unless Flynn agrees to a big re-structure. Of course, things could go the other way, and a feeding frenzy starts from the top of the draft with KC, but I doubt that that happens. My guess would be that the proverbial hits the fan at the end of round one, and that teams who want a QB, grab them from there into the second round. Well showing interest early does 2 things for this team if they are in fact interested in drafting him but want to get him later. Looking at it from another team's perspective, if the Bills pass on him at 8, other teams are also likely to pass on him because of how close Marrone is to Nassib. It just might give teams enough of a question mark to pass on him. It almost certainly means he would be available in the 2nd. Or, if it looks like a run on QB's is about to start towards the end of the first/beginning of the 2nd, you can always trade up for him. Trading up in the 2nd, or back into the first is not entirely out of the realm of possibility for this team if the prospect and price are right. JMO

casdhf
01-17-2013, 06:53 AM
There will be less of a learning curve for him. That should count for something

better days
01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm sure the same was thought about Wilson and Kaepernick by many people also, but they both turned out to be worth a 1st round pick, Seattle and San Francisco were fortunate they they did fall to them. I just believe that if the Bills are sure that a QB is the man for them, don't chance losing him by waiting, there's too many teams that will be looking at QB's to assume that anyone of them will fall to a later round.

JP Losman II. Both Wilson & Kaepernick proved much more in College than Nassib & against tougher competition. I doubt any team has as much interest in Nassib as some Bills fans on this board.

psubills62
01-17-2013, 09:21 AM
JP Losman II. Both Wilson & Kaepernick proved much more in College than Nassib & against tougher competition. I doubt any team has as much interest in Nassib as some Bills fans on this board.
I'll rag on the Big East as much as anyone, but I'd have a very difficult time saying the WAC is tougher competition.

better days
01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I'll rag on the Big East as much as anyone, but I'd have a very difficult time saying the WAC is tougher competition.

Yeah, its close, but Kaepernick did MUCH more in Nevada..........set records than Nassib did in Syracuse.

BUFF Bills
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
i swear i saw on espn that kiper had nassib as the TOP qb prospect.... higher than barkley, geno, wilson... it was a couple of days ago, did anyone else see that?

CleveSteve
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
He had Glennon as first, not Nassib.

Which is almost as ridiculous IMO.

SabreEleven
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Someone should tell Nix this secret.