Why does how good a player was mean ANYTHING when it comes to coaching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Why does how good a player was mean ANYTHING when it comes to coaching?

I keep seeing people complaining about coaches being hired that werent as good as the current players when they did play.

WHO CARES???? Why would it have anything to do with ANYTHING?
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why does how good a player was mean ANYTHING when it comes to coaching?

GUYS I CRAVE A RESPONSE HERE

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
      • Nov 2007

there's another thread discussing it is why you don't have many responses, but i agree. i don't think it matters. In fact, it's more common for great players to be *****ty coaches. You see it in football (minus Ditka maybe), hockey, and basketball
      I came.
      I saw.
      I conquered.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

What position did Bill Walsh play?

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

Those who can't "do", teach.

Comment

• Cleve
            • Oct 2004

I don't think, in any sport, there's much of a correlation between the personal athletic ability of a coach/manager and the quality of their coaching/management. A great player could be a great coach, but that great player could just as easily be a mediocre coach, or even a bad coach. The reverse is true as well.

As to a 'Fer instance' in another sport - Cus D'Amato is regarded as one of the greatest boxing trainers/managers of all time. But like most boxing trainers, he never boxed.
            Last edited by Cleve; 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
            per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

I wouldn't know if there is any statistical correlation, but if anything it seems like players who aren't blessed with natural talent, but manage to have productive careers could make some of the best coaches. The reason for that is such players have to focus on correct techniques far more than naturally gifted players in order to survive in the league. therefore, when they become coaches they may be sticklers for proper technique. That is, generally speaking, a positive trait in coaches. One thing he can do in particular is act as a help and encouragement to players who, like himself, arent that naturally gifted. That said, some persons are just not cut out to be coaches regardless of what kind of players they were, good or mediocre. On the other hand, no one says an incredibly gifted athlete can't also obsess with doing things the right way, and become a great coach.

There is at least some anecdotal evidence to support the notion of less than great athletes becomig great coaches. Jim Harbaugh is probably the most obvious current example. In any case, if I were hiring a coach, and a candidate came tome and he'd been a less talented but hard working player who'd been respected by his teammates, and he showed promise coaching at a lower level, I would probably see his playing career as a positive.
              Last edited by TigerJ; 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• MTBillsFan
                • May 2003

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
                Those who can't "do", teach.
                Are you or have you tried being a teacher? If not then keep your mouth shut. This is coming from a teacher.
                Send me some wings!

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MTBillsFan View Post
                  Are you or have you tried being a teacher? If not then keep your mouth shut. This is coming from a teacher.
                  Axioms are that for a reason, they are generally true.

Those that can do. Those that CAN'T teach.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
                    GUYS I CRAVE A RESPONSE HERE
                    I'M EATING MEATLOAF !
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DynaPaul
                      • Sep 2003

Jim Harbaugh was a run of the mill QB but I think he's an excellent coach.

Comment

• jimmifli
                        • Nov 2006

It depends on why they were good. A player that relied on superior athletic skill might have a harder time coaching than a player with less athletic ability that learned every trick in the book just to make it. Also personality trumps almost everything else.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by MTBillsFan View Post
                          I may be speaking out of turn, but I dont think the guy who posted that meant it as an insult to teachers. I dont find it insulting, theres a reason some great athletes are lousy coaches, and theres a reason some lousy athletes are great coaches. They are 2 separate skills. Same as in business, some very intelligent individuals can teach others, and some cannot to save their lives.

Comment

• imbondz
                            Democrats are people too
                            • Jan 2003

I think it's a pride thing. Wondering if the player will be open to taking correction and discipline from a coach who wasn't as good as he was, especially if they are near the same age.
                            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

But Mark. Most coaches in most sports weren't star players.

Comment

Working...
                              X