PDA

View Full Version : Why does how good a player was mean ANYTHING when it comes to coaching?

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2013, 07:42 AM
I keep seeing people complaining about coaches being hired that werent as good as the current players when they did play.

WHO CARES???? Why would it have anything to do with ANYTHING?

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2013, 08:31 AM
GUYS I CRAVE A RESPONSE HERE

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
there's another thread discussing it is why you don't have many responses, but i agree. i don't think it matters. In fact, it's more common for great players to be *****ty coaches. You see it in football (minus Ditka maybe), hockey, and basketball

Joe Fo Sho
01-16-2013, 08:47 AM
What position did Bill Walsh play?

RedEyE
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Those who can't "do", teach.

Cleve
01-16-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't think, in any sport, there's much of a correlation between the personal athletic ability of a coach/manager and the quality of their coaching/management. A great player could be a great coach, but that great player could just as easily be a mediocre coach, or even a bad coach. The reverse is true as well.

As to a 'Fer instance' in another sport - Cus D'Amato is regarded as one of the greatest boxing trainers/managers of all time. But like most boxing trainers, he never boxed.

TigerJ
01-16-2013, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't know if there is any statistical correlation, but if anything it seems like players who aren't blessed with natural talent, but manage to have productive careers could make some of the best coaches. The reason for that is such players have to focus on correct techniques far more than naturally gifted players in order to survive in the league. therefore, when they become coaches they may be sticklers for proper technique. That is, generally speaking, a positive trait in coaches. One thing he can do in particular is act as a help and encouragement to players who, like himself, arent that naturally gifted. That said, some persons are just not cut out to be coaches regardless of what kind of players they were, good or mediocre. On the other hand, no one says an incredibly gifted athlete can't also obsess with doing things the right way, and become a great coach.

There is at least some anecdotal evidence to support the notion of less than great athletes becomig great coaches. Jim Harbaugh is probably the most obvious current example. In any case, if I were hiring a coach, and a candidate came tome and he'd been a less talented but hard working player who'd been respected by his teammates, and he showed promise coaching at a lower level, I would probably see his playing career as a positive.

MTBillsFan
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Those who can't "do", teach.

Are you or have you tried being a teacher? If not then keep your mouth shut. This is coming from a teacher.

better days
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Are you or have you tried being a teacher? If not then keep your mouth shut. This is coming from a teacher.

Axioms are that for a reason, they are generally true.

Those that can do. Those that CAN'T teach.

Night Train
01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
I'M EATING MEATLOAF !

DynaPaul
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Jim Harbaugh was a run of the mill QB but I think he's an excellent coach.

jimmifli
01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
It depends on why they were good. A player that relied on superior athletic skill might have a harder time coaching than a player with less athletic ability that learned every trick in the book just to make it. Also personality trumps almost everything else.

Pinkerton Security
01-16-2013, 06:03 PM

I may be speaking out of turn, but I dont think the guy who posted that meant it as an insult to teachers. I dont find it insulting, theres a reason some great athletes are lousy coaches, and theres a reason some lousy athletes are great coaches. They are 2 separate skills. Same as in business, some very intelligent individuals can teach others, and some cannot to save their lives.

imbondz
01-16-2013, 06:07 PM
I think it's a pride thing. Wondering if the player will be open to taking correction and discipline from a coach who wasn't as good as he was, especially if they are near the same age.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2013, 08:29 PM
But Mark. Most coaches in most sports weren't star players.

GingerP
01-17-2013, 08:40 AM
What position did Bill Walsh play?

He was a QB at the College of San Mateo and later played TE and DE at San Jose State. Never played professionally.

imbondz
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Corey I was hoping you'd respond in the bad lip reading thread. it's hilarious!

EricStratton
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Many star players made enough money as players that they don't have to continue the grind of coaching to make a living.

I wonder if it's not so much that the star can't coach but rather they don't have to coach.

thesquirrelking
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM

My wife is a Special Ed teacher. Are you saying she can't act all ******ed sometimes?

EricStratton
01-17-2013, 10:03 PM

With that logic I guess Tebow will make a hell of a QB coach someday.