• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maximilli
    • Feb 2009

Ike Hillard

New WR Coach what yall think
    JoeBuscaglia According to @rich_campbell, Ike Hilliard will be the new #Bills WR coach
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Ike Hillard

He was a good WR in college and the pro's. He can teach from first hand knowledge.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Great Receiver with Toomer in NY.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• BillsU
        • Jan 2013

Like that hire. Also we just got John Anselmo from Syracuse as well. Do not know what he will be doing for the Bills though.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Interesting that we hire a lot of ex-players. Is it because Marrone is an ex-player?

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

I think a fairly high percentage of coaches are former players. I have mixed feelings in general about the coaching staff Marrone is putting together. I would personally like to see a mix of youth and maturity on a coaching staff. I think mature coaches bring something to the table that's different from what relative kids bring, and vice versa. Marrone's staff in general is younger and less experienced on average than I would like to see, since I'd prefer a mix. The only mature guy I recall seeing on the staff has only coached college, never the pros. I think there is some risk in that significant lack of NFL experience and maturity.

As far as a guy like Ike Hilliard is concerned, I've got nothing against him. He kind of fits what I like to see in a player turned coach. He was productive for a number of years in the league despite not having elite athleticism. That means he had to work at it. He's in a good position to instill in his players a strong work ethic, and he probably has a good handle on technique since he depended on technique for success. He did coach for a year in Washington under Mike Shanahan, and reportedly the players liked working with him. Washington also had a very productive passing offense, though it was pretty non-traditional using a lot of read-option with RG3 as QB.
            Last edited by TigerJ; 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

He seemed to do well with the Redskins last year but hard to say how much of that was because of having a better QB.

Comment

• Ed
                • Sep 2002

I like the youth movement. Maybe having some younger former players on the coaching staff will make the Bills more appealing to free agents.

Comment

• Oaf
                  Do you read what you write?
                  • Jun 2007

I feel like these guys will be good... in 5 years when they have some actual NFL coaching experience under their belt.

Comment

• Bangarang
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                    I feel like these guys will be good... in 5 years when they have some actual NFL coaching experience under their belt.
                    Russ is cheap.

We should have gone after guys that have proven NFL experience. Guys like Dave Wannstedt and Chan Gailey.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                      I like the youth movement. Maybe having some younger former players on the coaching staff will make the Bills more appealing to free agents.
                      This

I'm tired of the old codgers with tons of experience that cannot evolve with the times. The game has changed and many coaches stick with thinking that got them thru the door 20-30 years ago but doesn't apply to todays game. The kids today respond to Generation X, not my baby boomer era or older.

Marrone changed the O at 'Cuse when it got stale and went balls to the wall with the quick tempo K-gun/spread. Now he's picking guys who think ahead and don't live in the past.

Fine by me. The old thinking has failed here for years. Bring it.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                        This

I'm tired of the old codgers with tons of experience that cannot evolve with the times. The game has changed and many coaches stick with thinking that got them thru the door 20-30 years ago but doesn't apply to todays game. The kids today respond to Generation X, not my baby boomer era or older.

Marrone changed the O at 'Cuse when it got stale and went balls to the wall with the quick tempo K-gun/spread. Now he's picking guys who think ahead and don't live in the past.

Cheating (on anything) is a principle held in heightened esteem by Gen-X and later. Bring it?
                        Last edited by stuckincincy; 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• cookie G
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                          This

Yikes!

Forward thinking with a 23 year old playbook!

Hey, I bet I still have my copy of Tecmo Super Bowl in the attic.

I'll let him be the Bills and still beat his ass!

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                            Yikes!

Forward thinking with a 23 year old playbook!

Hey, I bet I still have my copy of Tecmo Super Bowl in the attic.

I'll let him be the Bills and still beat his ass!
                            You'd beat him at a video game. Good for you. What the hell was your point? I'm not even sticking up for NT I'm just incredibly confused by your motive/follow through.
                            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                              You'd beat him at a video game. Good for you. What the hell was your point? I'm not even sticking up for NT I'm just incredibly confused by your motive/follow through.
                              Ah, I knew I'd have to explain the obvious to someone.

Read his post again..

The entire post is about not living in the past, how things 20-30 years ago don't work today, how guys have to "think ahead and don't live in the past"

And he cites ...the K-Gun as an example of "forward thinking"?

In case you didn't know, the K-Gun was popular when Madonna, MC Hammer and a pre-drugged out Whitney Houston were popular and Zubaz were the rage.

For a Bills fan, the K-Gun is THE example of living in the past.

PS. Tecmo SB came out when the K-Gun was the rage..the first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X