PDA

View Full Version : Ike Hillard

Maximilli
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
New WR Coach what yall think
JoeBuscaglia (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=JoeBuscaglia) According to @rich_campbell (http://twitter.com/rich_campbell), Ike Hilliard will be the new #Bills (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills) WR coach

Night Train
01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
He was a good WR in college and the pro's. He can teach from first hand knowledge.

The King
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Great Receiver with Toomer in NY.

BillsU
01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Like that hire. Also we just got John Anselmo from Syracuse as well. Do not know what he will be doing for the Bills though.

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Interesting that we hire a lot of ex-players. Is it because Marrone is an ex-player?

TigerJ
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
I think a fairly high percentage of coaches are former players. I have mixed feelings in general about the coaching staff Marrone is putting together. I would personally like to see a mix of youth and maturity on a coaching staff. I think mature coaches bring something to the table that's different from what relative kids bring, and vice versa. Marrone's staff in general is younger and less experienced on average than I would like to see, since I'd prefer a mix. The only mature guy I recall seeing on the staff has only coached college, never the pros. I think there is some risk in that significant lack of NFL experience and maturity.

As far as a guy like Ike Hilliard is concerned, I've got nothing against him. He kind of fits what I like to see in a player turned coach. He was productive for a number of years in the league despite not having elite athleticism. That means he had to work at it. He's in a good position to instill in his players a strong work ethic, and he probably has a good handle on technique since he depended on technique for success. He did coach for a year in Washington under Mike Shanahan, and reportedly the players liked working with him. Washington also had a very productive passing offense, though it was pretty non-traditional using a lot of read-option with RG3 as QB.

RedEyE
01-17-2013, 11:37 AM
He seemed to do well with the Redskins last year but hard to say how much of that was because of having a better QB.

Ed
01-17-2013, 11:40 AM
I like the youth movement. Maybe having some younger former players on the coaching staff will make the Bills more appealing to free agents.

Oaf
01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
I feel like these guys will be good... in 5 years when they have some actual NFL coaching experience under their belt.

Bangarang
01-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I feel like these guys will be good... in 5 years when they have some actual NFL coaching experience under their belt.

Russ is cheap.

We should have gone after guys that have proven NFL experience. Guys like Dave Wannstedt and Chan Gailey.

Night Train
01-17-2013, 01:30 PM
I like the youth movement. Maybe having some younger former players on the coaching staff will make the Bills more appealing to free agents.

This

I'm tired of the old codgers with tons of experience that cannot evolve with the times. The game has changed and many coaches stick with thinking that got them thru the door 20-30 years ago but doesn't apply to todays game. The kids today respond to Generation X, not my baby boomer era or older.

Marrone changed the O at 'Cuse when it got stale and went balls to the wall with the quick tempo K-gun/spread. Now he's picking guys who think ahead and don't live in the past.

Fine by me. The old thinking has failed here for years. Bring it.

stuckincincy
01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
This

I'm tired of the old codgers with tons of experience that cannot evolve with the times. The game has changed and many coaches stick with thinking that got them thru the door 20-30 years ago but doesn't apply to todays game. The kids today respond to Generation X, not my baby boomer era or older.

Marrone changed the O at 'Cuse when it got stale and went balls to the wall with the quick tempo K-gun/spread. Now he's picking guys who think ahead and don't live in the past.

Cheating (on anything) is a principle held in heightened esteem by Gen-X and later. Bring it?

cookie G
01-17-2013, 02:28 PM
This

Yikes!

Forward thinking with a 23 year old playbook!

Hey, I bet I still have my copy of Tecmo Super Bowl in the attic.

I'll let him be the Bills and still beat his ass!

ServoBillieves
01-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Yikes!

Forward thinking with a 23 year old playbook!

Hey, I bet I still have my copy of Tecmo Super Bowl in the attic.

I'll let him be the Bills and still beat his ass!

You'd beat him at a video game. Good for you. What the hell was your point? I'm not even sticking up for NT I'm just incredibly confused by your motive/follow through.

cookie G
01-17-2013, 03:34 PM
You'd beat him at a video game. Good for you. What the hell was your point? I'm not even sticking up for NT I'm just incredibly confused by your motive/follow through.

Ah, I knew I'd have to explain the obvious to someone.

Read his post again..

The entire post is about not living in the past, how things 20-30 years ago don't work today, how guys have to "think ahead and don't live in the past"

And he cites ...the K-Gun as an example of "forward thinking"?

In case you didn't know, the K-Gun was popular when Madonna, MC Hammer and a pre-drugged out Whitney Houston were popular and Zubaz were the rage.

For a Bills fan, the K-Gun is THE example of living in the past.

PS. Tecmo SB came out when the K-Gun was the rage..the first time.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3zSr9dYg3a0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Typ0
01-17-2013, 04:14 PM
name sounds familiar. He must be good.

stuckincincy
01-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Tecmo, K-Gun..what does it matter?

What matters is that the NFL massaged the rules to increase the bottom line. It worked.

NE got it...tight ends, launch a pass withing 3 seconds or so, hurry up to the LOS. Simple.

Teams don't copy it, most of them. Why? Because football is chock full of crowing egos, up and down the spectrum, including owners. It attracts them.

Football folks seldom are courted by other businesses. Their "leadership skills" don't work there. No secret why...

better days
01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I remember Hilliard on the Bucs as not having any speed, but running good routes & having good hands, two things that can be taught.

Night Train
01-18-2013, 05:38 AM
Back to the original point before :ee: and :monte: explained football to us.

I like the makeup of the asst. coaches. They SHOULD be in sync with the HC. It's his neck and he'll be here for 3-4 years to get this working. Why conflict with someone who is stuck in one way of doing things ? Not impressed with certain names, like others ( ex. Why don't they hire Lovie ? I've HEARD of him ! )

coastal
01-18-2013, 06:53 AM
So super tecmo k-gun is all the rage... are CB's even more important?

serious question.

Don't Panic
01-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Russ is cheap.

We should have gone after guys that have proven NFL experience. Guys like Dave Wannstedt and Chan Gailey.

Maybe Jauron as DB coach and Mularkey as our QB coach? Greg Williams might be able to coach LBers.

jimmifli
01-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Maybe Ike can delay his coaching career for a season and play WR for us. I think he could still start for this team.