PDA

View Full Version : NFL looking to adjust Rooney Rule

BLeonard
01-18-2013, 05:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8858003/nfl-looking-adjust-rooney-rule-ensure-diversity

"We feel very strongly there's a need to extend the rule," Wooten said. "I'm disappointed, but not discouraged because we have a plan of action. We're putting it together right now and we're going to present our thoughts and ideas to the league. We'll be working together to make something happen."

I dunno what more they can really do... Force teams to hire minority Coaches/GM's?

In the end, what's more important here? Teams hiring more minorities, or teams hiring who they feel is best for the job?

-Bill

Skooby
01-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Winning is most important.

Mouldsie
01-18-2013, 05:26 PM
I think that minority coaching hires have come a long way to where this rule is unnecessary

jamze132
01-18-2013, 05:31 PM
So no one wants to hire Lovie Smith who was fired after a 10-6 season. Uh, there's a reason and its not because he's black. He got fired for a reason and its not because he's black.

BLeonard
01-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Jim Caldwell nearly went undefeated as a rookie coach in Indianapolis three years ago and he's one win away from returning to the Super Bowl as an assistant with Baltimore.

Yet Caldwell didn't get one interview for any of the eight coaching vacancies in the NFL this year.

Attention: Dip**** who wrote this article... Baltimore played in the Wild Card round... So, when exactly was he supposed to get an interview...?

-Bill

mightysimi
01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
There aren't enough white players in the league. We should make a rule that there has to be at least a certain amount of white players on each team because it isn't fair. It sounds just as ridiculous the other way around too.

notacon
01-18-2013, 06:32 PM
There aren't enough white players in the league. We should make a rule that there has to be at least a certain amount of white players on each team because it isn't fair. It sounds just as ridiculous the other way around too.

But, that's not what the Rooney rule is.

The Rooney rule is meant to expose team GM's and especially owners, to those quality minority candidates that otherwise might not even get an interview.

This fosters familiarity where one owner may have interviewed a black coach, and was impressed with their presentation, and then talks about that person, in the normal course of events for being an owner of only 32 franchises in the world, and that same guy may be given a longer look the next time around with another team. It's super elite networking.

It is an eminently reasonable "rule" for developing a natural integration, without the type of quotas you refer to.

mightysimi
01-18-2013, 08:30 PM
But, that's not what the Rooney rule is.

The Rooney rule is meant to expose team GM's and especially owners, to those quality minority candidates that otherwise might not even get an interview.

This fosters familiarity where one owner may have interviewed a black coach, and was impressed with their presentation, and then talks about that person, in the normal course of events for being an owner of only 32 franchises in the world, and that same guy may be given a longer look the next time around with another team. It's super elite networking.

It is an eminently reasonable "rule" for developing a natural integration, without the type of quotas you refer to.

If they were good candidates, they would get an interview. This assumes there is a secret underground network of minority coaches that no one knows about. It ends up being a farce where teams interview someone who they might not be interested in because they are a minority coach. Maybe at one time there was racist reasons for not hiring a minority coach but this is 2013. People in the public eye can't get away with blatant racism without being called on it. Point is, these guys are employers who can employ who ever they want. It all boils down to production.

ServoBillieves
01-18-2013, 09:45 PM
So... the change to the rule is going to demand a team chooses a black/hispanic/asian head coach just because NFL HR doesn't like that only white skinned coaches were hired this year?

That's... Wow that is kind of insane.

jpdex12
01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
So... the change to the rule is going to demand a team chooses a black/hispanic/asian head coach just because NFL HR doesn't like that only white skinned coaches were hired this year?

This country is going to hell...what the f is wrong with people?

Bmax
01-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Look the real truth is that the NFl wants to maybe expand it to coordinators.. Most of the Coordinators on offense are white with only a few exceptions.. Most of the Black or Hispanic coordinators are defensive guys...It's just about giving a guy an opportunity to interview.. The reason for the rule in the first place was to give guys the chance to interview and compete for jobs. In the past interviews were not even given.. some never had the chance to go and present themselves in front of owners and gm's.

Night Train
01-19-2013, 05:47 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8858003/nfl-looking-adjust-rooney-rule-ensure-diversity

I dunno what more they can really do... Force teams to hire minority Coaches/GM's?

In the end, what's more important here? Teams hiring more minorities, or teams hiring who they feel is best for the job?

-Bill

With all the bad publicity concerning head trama cases, the NFL seems to be going a bit overboard trying to be PC with the whole minority hiring issue. It's a failing idea and just makes certain coaches look like they are being used.

MikeInRoch
01-19-2013, 11:09 AM
So no one wants to hire Lovie Smith who was fired after a 10-6 season. Uh, there's a reason and its not because he's black. He got fired for a reason and its not because he's black.

I *love* the assumption of racism, with zero evidence. Very progressive.

NFL Owners and GMs would hire someone who was purple if they thought they could win games.

gr8slayer
01-19-2013, 12:23 PM
If I'm a minority, I'm pretty pissed at this rule in general.

Mouldsie
01-19-2013, 01:12 PM

I know if I was an owner I wouldnt hire the white guy above because he's clearly too illiterate and ignorant to be in a position of power.

Just read the article, they want to expand the rooney rule to GM searches, makes sense.

mightysimi
01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
I know if I was an owner I wouldnt hire the white guy above because he's clearly too illiterate and ignorant to be in a position of power.

Just read the article, they want to expand the rooney rule to GM searches, makes sense.

How does it make sense. Why does an owner have to hire or interview anyone they don't feel is a good candidate?

Mouldsie
01-19-2013, 01:34 PM
How does it make sense. Why does an owner have to hire or interview anyone they don't feel is a good candidate?

Feelings are irrelevant. It helps give guys a shot to interview and impress that usually dont. I think it worked for coaches and should be phased out but I think it makes sense now for GM's.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-19-2013, 02:19 PM

there is no inherent/systematic exclusion of white talent in football, there is in regular society though with black people... it has been proven, through teacher bias, banking practices, justice system, etc.

the point of affirmitave action is not to appoint people not qualified, it's to appoint people who are qualified but dont even get the chance because of obvious racial bias. i dont know how that would apply to coaching in the nfl because the direct link to production is obvious, where it isnt in other occupations so much... if two guys can weld good or there are equivalent police candidates, i can see where aa makes some sense there. but with coaches, you can clearly see the difference... i also think like anything in life, the context is different. whats the percentage of black coaches in the nfl? and how do those stats compare to other institutions. is it increasing, steady, decreasing? has there ever been any report of racism or evidence of systemic racism in nfl hiring process the past 20 years?

lmcshadow
01-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Leodis McKelvin for GM..........Any Questions

NOT THE DUDE...
01-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Leodis McKelvin for GM..........Any Questions

how is this relevant? he isnt qualified?

DynaPaul
01-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah let's expand that Rooney and have it affect, oh, I don't know - the Commissioner? How come every NFL Commissioner is a white lawyer? Let's start with him. Hey, how come there aren't many Asian or Hispanic coaches? They're trying to make this a black-on-white thing but there are so many other minority groups that aren't represented here.

MikeInRoch
01-19-2013, 09:44 PM
the point of affirmitave action is not to appoint people not qualified, it's to appoint people who are qualified but dont even get the chance because of obvious racial bias.

Bull****. How does that translate to "minorities get 'bonus points' on civil service tests"?

ServoBillieves
01-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Yeah let's expand that Rooney and have it affect, oh, I don't know - the Commissioner? How come every NFL Commissioner is a white lawyer? Let's start with him. Hey, how come there aren't many Asian or Hispanic coaches? They're trying to make this a black-on-white thing but there are so many other minority groups that aren't represented here.

Look Out! I was called a racist by a mouth breather for my opinions (Took me way too long to block Mouldsie). There is no reason why in today's world race should effect who is hired where. In anything. You hire a coach or GM or Coordinator by how they can run a defense/offense/team/motivate, not by their skin color.