PDA

View Full Version : Did the Bills lose in their HC search?

X-Era
01-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Chip Kelly was the hot name. Marrone's name was also hot. But not as hot as Kelly's.

Did anyone else feel like we won in the competition for a new HC when we landed Marrone... BUT mostly because Kelly was going back to Oregon? That Marrone was the next best choice?

But the real question is this...

Did you feel like the same old Bills when Kelly actually did make the jump and went to the Eagles?

Like we had to "settle" for Marrone.

Like the choice was another Jauron/Chan/Wade retread or the backup college HC.

I got asked at work about how I felt about Kelly. And the follow up was that between Kelly and Marrone, one built a championship caliber team and the other built a mediocre Big East team.

I responded that I like Marrone better for two main reasons:

Chip Kelly is a douche. Just an arrogant ass. I liked the thought of Kelly and what he might bring and winning is all that matters. But, the guy is a douche. Marrone is more likeable.
Marrone has NFL experience which will really help to get the players to buy in.

Personally, I like our chances to be more successful and quicker than Kelly in Philly.

So the real question is whether you feel like we went into this competition for a new HC with all the other teams. Did we win or lose? Are we new and making a statement or are we the same old Bills?

ServoBillieves
01-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Yup. After reviewing all his games/practices/dealings as Bills head coach I think we lost out. Are you kidding me?

YardRat
01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
I never wanted Kelly anyway, so no feelings of loss on my part.

EricStratton
01-18-2013, 09:51 PM
The main issue I had with Kelly is that he built a winner in Oregon playing a gimmick that I don't think can work in the NFL.

X-Era
01-18-2013, 09:53 PM
I never wanted Kelly anyway, so no feelings of loss on my part.But did we win or lose?

I mean I actually felt like we won the competition when we got the hot name once we found out Kelly was staying in Oregon.

I got used to the idea of Marrone and really liked it. And then Kelly got hired by the Eagles and I wondered if we "settled".

I think I've convinced myself I like Marrone better than Kelly at this point. But, the thought that we "settled" did creep in.

YardRat
01-18-2013, 09:55 PM
But did we win or lose?

Nobody can say for sure, yet. If I were to wager, I would bet Marrone is around longer than Kelly at the NFL level, and more successful.

better days
01-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Chip Kelly was the hot name. Marrone's name was also hot. But not as hot as Kelly's.

Did anyone else feel like we won in the competition for a new HC when we landed Marrone... BUT mostly because Kelly was going back to Oregon? That Marrone was the next best choice?

Did you feel like the same old Bills when Kelly actually did make the jump and went to the Eagles?

I got asked at work about how I felt about Kelly. And the follow up was that between Kelly and Marrone, one built a championship caliber team and the other built a mediocre Big East team.

Chip Kelly is a douche. Just an arrogant ass. I liked the thought of Kelly and what he might bring and winning is all that matters. But, the guy is a douche. Marrone is more likeable.

Personally, I like our chances to be more successful and quicker than Kelly in Philly.

So the real question is whether you feel like we went into this competition for a new HC with all the other teams. Did we win or lose? Are we new and making a statement or are we the same old Bills?

The more likeable Coach is always the best. Just look at Bill Belicheck.

Bmax
01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
We won...Kelly was not even the best coach in college or Pac 12.. That honor for Pac 12 would go to David Shaw who was highly sought after by numerous NFL teams before signing an extension..Shaw has lesser personel and beatg Kelly this season.. Shaw had nine years of NFL experience .. He runs a system that would very successful in the NFL. We won over most teams except KC...Who got Andy Reid...Cleveland hire was really a joke...to me at least they wanted Marrone but lost out to us...Bears .. Marc Trestman ...LOL are you kidding they fired Lovie for him...Mike Mccoy good hire but no head coaching experience,, I could go on....Marrone has hired some guys with little NFL ex as asst...but the coordinators should be ok...I feel we got the 2nd or 3rd best guy that is more then you can say about the past couple of coaches we have hired...

Extremebillsfan247
01-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Chip Kelly was the hot name. Marrone's name was also hot. But not as hot as Kelly's. Did anyone else feel like we won in the competition for a new HC when we landed Marrone... BUT mostly because Kelly was going back to Oregon? That Marrone was the next best choice? But the real question is this... Did you feel like the same old Bills when Kelly actually did make the jump and went to the Eagles? Like we had to "settle" for Marrone. Like the choice was another Jauron/Chan/Wade retread or the backup college HC. I got asked at work about how I felt about Kelly. And the follow up was that between Kelly and Marrone, one built a championship caliber team and the other built a mediocre Big East team. I responded that I like Marrone better for two main reasons:

Personally, I like our chances to be more successful and quicker than Kelly in Philly. So the real question is whether you feel like we went into this competition for a new HC with all the other teams. Did we win or lose? Are we new and making a statement or are we the same old Bills? Getting Marrone wasn't settling, it was gambling. I think interviewing Kelly was nothing more than due diligence on the part of Nix and Brandon, but the choice was always going to be Marrone. Settling is ending up with Chan Gailey, or Dick Jauron. The Bills had other options this time. When them 2 were hired, they were hired because no one else wanted the job that the Bills were interested in hiring. Those are coaches they settled for. This seems to me more like a publicity stunt in order to boost ticket sales from that area of New York. Marrone reeks of a Brandon move. That's why I have my suspicions of it, but it has nothing to do with Chip Kelly. JMO

Skooby
01-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Not yet.

imbondz
01-18-2013, 11:36 PM
The more likeable Coach is always the best. Just look at Bill Belicheck.

i've heard Belicheats hysterically funny, just not in front of the press, and well liked by his players.

kishoph
01-19-2013, 04:17 AM
I'm happy with the Marrone hire, at first I would of preferred Kelly, but that was because of not knowing much about Marrone, but since Marrone has become the Bills HC and the Kelly flip flopping, I'm glad we landed Marrone and I would be extremely happy to see Kelly fall flat on his face in the NFL. I really believe the Bills came out ahead on this. I think that if Kelly 'comes out of the gate' slow, he's going to start having regrets and lose it.

Night Train
01-19-2013, 05:36 AM
How can we answer this question until games are played ?

Dude
01-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Those who say Marrone built a mediocre Big East team have no idea exactly what he accomplished at Syracuse and are doing him a tremendous disservice.

Night Train
01-19-2013, 05:51 AM
So it's just about off-season headlines and blog approval ?

We've turned into nothing more than TMZ sports. If that's what it's all about, we should have just hired a Kardashian.

X-Era
01-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Those who say Marrone built a mediocre Big East team have no idea exactly what he accomplished at Syracuse and are doing him a tremendous disservice.
It was an unranked 8 and 5 team. It was a tremendous accomplishment because of how bad they really were before he got there. But I see the point that a non-Syracuse fan could make.

It's not like Syracuse was even in the same world with Bama, Oregon, etc...

The Big East became a lot like the WAC or even MAC once BC, Miami, VT, and WV left.

Put it this way, on the surface, the 8 and 5 Cuse team looked about as good as a 9 and 7 Chan led GT team. But if you dig deeper you realize Chan inherited a 9 and 7 ACC team and did squat to make it better. Marrone took one of the worst teams in the whole NCAA and turn them what they are.

RedEyE
01-19-2013, 06:37 AM
I think its a bit premature to really tell. The end of next season will shed some light.
I was in the retread line for Lovie Smith and he's still unemployed.

Chip Kelly has zero experience with the NFL and because of this reason alone, I feel much more comfortable with Marrone. I think Marrone wins out in experience. And i'm not really sure the Bills were even after Kelly 100%. Kelly sits with the Browns and Eagles for a total of 8+ hrs a piece and the Bills converse with him on a short walk back to his hotel.

So whether it was Kelly's disinterest or the Bills, I don't think he was ever an option. Marrone was highly coveted and the Bills won that game.

So I'm forced to accept it regardless of how I feel or who I wanted.

And just keep in mind while Marrone may have fallen 2nd on the list of most other teams, Kelly was still a long shot for all of them.

I'm just thankful the Bills didn't jump on the old buddy-buddy path. If they had, Whisenhunt would be leading the way the next three years.

Dude
01-19-2013, 06:39 AM
It was an unranked 8 and 5 team. It was a tremendous accomplishment because of how bad they really were before he got there. But I see the point that a non-Syracuse fan could make.

It's not like Syracuse was even in the same world with Bama, Oregon, etc...

The Big East became a lot like the WAC or even MAC once BC, Miami, VT, and WV left.

Put it this way, on the surface, the 8 and 5 Cuse team looked about as good as a 9 and 7 Chan led GT team. But if you dig deeper you realize Chan inherited a 9 and 7 ACC team and did squat to make it better. Marrone took one of the worst teams in the whole NCAA and turn them what they are.Yup.

Regardless, Marrone and Kelly both have yet to coach a game for their respective teams so you can't judge either.

mush69
01-19-2013, 06:40 AM
I've been here in Morgantown PA all week and I've been listening to 97.5 the local sports radio station. You wouldn't believe all the hype and disgruntled Eagle fans that have called in on this Hiring of Kelly. They don't have the quarterback to run Kelly's system is the biggest concern, Mike Vick maybe 8 years ago but Nick foles is not the answer. It is a debacle down here for them and I do believe that the only reason the Eagles landed him is Kelly got what he wanted from Jeff Laurey.

Marrone was an excellant hire in my opinion, came in got right to work and has assembled most of his staff. Is Fitz the quarterback for his system? We don't really know but we do/did know the an upgrade was needed. Philly thought Foles was a lock down quarterback of the future. We have the talent on this team just needs a little tweaking here an there. Philly is looking like they will have to rebuild all over, I don't think Philly's O-line can keep up. They are already asking Chip what he is going to do in order to get their O-line in shape.

We got the Guy! Marrone will do an excellent job and Kelly will be tucking tail and headed back to the colledge ranks in 3 years when Philly runs him out of the State!

Buddo
01-19-2013, 08:22 AM
To me, Kelly is a 'boom or bust' choice. He could be the next best thing since sliced bread, in the NFL, or he could fail miserably. Personally, I didn't want him, although I was impressed with the reports about how well he ran his practices.
Marrone, on the other hand, has the necessary NFL experience previously, to make his hire much more 'comfortable', and a lot less likely to end in ignominious failure.
From what I've read, Marrone is a very smart communicator, who gets what he wants from his players by doing so. Kelly would appear to come from the 'my way or the highway' school of coaching.
That isn't to say that Marrone is any pushover, but there's a lot of difference in getting rid of someone who has been clearly tasked with doing something, but fails to do it, than just binning someone who might not have understood properly what was required of them.
'Respect' is a big deal with NFL players. Gain it, and they will run through brick walls for you. Don't have it, and you get into trouble, rapidly.
I'd also say that I don't know what the dynamic is with Kelly and the acquisition of players. If Kelly has a lot of say in it, and that was a demand of his, then things could get out of hand in Philly, very quickly, unless they have early success.

I think very often, people lose sight of the concept of 'teamwork' in the NFL. It is after all, a team game, but the successful franchises, all have teams who work together in all aspects of the game, be it coaching, scouting (pro and college), or on the field.
I'm not so sure that Kelly qualifies from that standpoint, whereas what I've heard about Marrone, is way more positive.
While there are always examples of 'enlightened despots' who are successful (e.g. Belicheat), it's always a lot easier to bring success through the utilization of teamwork.

better days
01-19-2013, 08:31 AM
I've been here in Morgantown PA all week and I've been listening to 97.5 the local sports radio station. You wouldn't believe all the hype and disgruntled Eagle fans that have called in on this Hiring of Kelly. They don't have the quarterback to run Kelly's system is the biggest concern, Mike Vick maybe 8 years ago but Nick foles is not the answer. It is a debacle down here for them and I do believe that the only reason the Eagles landed him is Kelly got what he wanted from Jeff Laurey.

Marrone was an excellant hire in my opinion, came in got right to work and has assembled most of his staff. Is Fitz the quarterback for his system? We don't really know but we do/did know the an upgrade was needed. Philly thought Foles was a lock down quarterback of the future. We have the talent on this team just needs a little tweaking here an there. Philly is looking like they will have to rebuild all over, I don't think Philly's O-line can keep up. They are already asking Chip what he is going to do in order to get their O-line in shape.

We got the Guy! Marrone will do an excellent job and Kelly will be tucking tail and headed back to the colledge ranks in 3 years when Philly runs him out of the State!

I would not be surprised if Marrone has more success than Kelly in the NFL. Kelly to the Eagles reminds me of Spurrier to the Redskins. The Redskins were terrible when Spurrier was hired & the Eagles are terrible now. I doubt Kelly can turn that team arround in 3 years.

The Bills on the other hand have much more talent than the Eagles & are only missing a few pieces. I think both the Bills & Browns get turned around before the Eagles.

jamze132
01-19-2013, 10:32 AM
The main issue I had with Kelly is that he built a winner in Oregon playing a gimmick that I don't think can work in the NFL.
We'll I think a lit if that has worked on the NFL. Spread is increasing in popularity.

jamze132
01-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Just for the record, and I'm not sold on Marrone just yet but it's not fair to compare Oregon's football program to Syracuse's football program. Oregon has been pretty damn popular for many years and long before Kelly got there. It's ignorant to think that Syracuse is on the same level as Oregon when signing recruits.

PromoTheRobot
01-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Losing is a state of mind. Threads like this tell you where Bills fans are.

PTR

kingJofNYC
01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
What matters is winning on the football field, we have no idea how this will play out, who cares about some offseason dick measuring contest?

Remember when the fans thought we had a top 5 DL? Offseason, where champions are made.

better days
01-19-2013, 12:02 PM
What matters is winning on the football field, we have no idea how this will play out, who cares about some offseason dick measuring contest?

Remember when the fans thought we had a top 5 DL? Offseason, where champions are made.

Well, I still think the Bills have a top 5 DL. We will see how they play with a good DC & a better scheme next season.

kingJofNYC
01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Well, I still think the Bills have a top 5 DL. We will see how they play with a good DC & a better scheme next season.

I'm a huge Pettine fan and he'll get a lot out of our guys, no question. Just trying to put things in perspective. Offseason matters, but it's what you do on the field that matters more.

BertSquirtgum
01-19-2013, 04:03 PM

No

DraftBoy
01-19-2013, 04:21 PM
In Marrone you have a former NFL coach who has had success, Kelly has never coached at this level. Its a massive jump for him to try and undertake.

cookie G
01-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Getting Marrone wasn't settling, it was gambling. I think interviewing Kelly was nothing more than due diligence on the part of Nix and Brandon, but the choice was always going to be Marrone. Settling is ending up with Chan Gailey, or Dick Jauron. The Bills had other options this time. When them 2 were hired, they were hired because no one else wanted the job that the Bills were interested in hiring. Those are coaches they settled for. This seems to me more like a publicity stunt in order to boost ticket sales from that area of New York. Marrone reeks of a Brandon move. That's why I have my suspicions of it, but it has nothing to do with Chip Kelly. JMO

I agree with most of this. Marrone was Russ' choice from the beginning. There were a few interviews for appearance sake, but that was about it for the "thorough and exhaustive" search.

Russ went with who he knew. It isn't much different than what Ralph said when he hired Buddy Nix. When asked about outside candidates, he said something like "yeah, we were given a list, I didn't know the names, I don't think Russ knew the names..."

Yeah, I agree, its basically a gamble. And you can't tell if they won or lost, because not all cards have been played. The fifth card on the 5 Card Charlie might appear, or they might get lucky and the dice add up to 7.

Well, so be it. I just don't know how a team on its 7th coach in a little more than a decade leaves it to little more than a roll of the dice. Well, I do, but then you're talking about a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years who just put a salesman in charge.

don137
01-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Kelly was so wishy washy about coaching in the NFL the last two years I could see him do a Nick Saban or Steve Spurier and have a niche for college football and not the pro game and back in college football in 2-3 years. Marrone the better choice in long run.

BertSquirtgum
01-19-2013, 09:51 PM
This thread is really dumb and pointless. Come to think of it, a lot of x-era's posts have leaned that way lately as well.

psubills62
01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
@AdamSchefter: Eagles made Kelly one of the 10 highest paid NFL coaches, giving him a 5-yr deal worth right around $32.5 million, and average of $6.5m per year.

YardRat
01-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Well, so be it. I just don't know how a team on its 7th coach in a little more than a decade leaves it to little more than a roll of the dice. Well, I do, but then you're talking about a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years who just put a salesman in charge.

Every new hire is a roll of the dice, and it doesn't matter if that hire is named Cowher, Lovie, McCoy, Bradley, Reid, Kelly or Marrone.

YardRat
01-20-2013, 01:27 PM
@AdamSchefter: Eagles made Kelly one of the 10 highest paid NFL coaches, giving him a 5-yr deal worth right around $32.5 million, and average of $6.5m per year.

That's what it was going to take, but it's ****ing insane. Good on Kelly, I guess, for raping Philly out of his retirement fund so he can bail in two seasons and go back to college where he belongs.

Bert102176
01-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Can't tell yet, until we see the record at the end of his contract, personal opinion yes Lovie Smith I feel would have been the best chance at winning, I do like the hire although I don't like who he hired as ST coach and I don't like the OC either, but all we can do is wait and see. GO BILLS GO BILLS only god knows y but us your fans love you.

psubills62
01-20-2013, 01:40 PM
That's what it was going to take, but it's ****ing insane. Good on Kelly, I guess, for raping Philly out of his retirement fund so he can bail in two seasons and go back to college where he belongs.
It is insane to pay him that much, but apparently that's how badly they wanted him and how much he needed to leave Oregon.

I do believe Kelly will be more successful than people think. He's a really good coach.

cookie G
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Every new hire is a roll of the dice, and it doesn't matter if that hire is named Cowher, Lovie, McCoy, Bradley, Reid, Kelly or Marrone.

That's nice. Certainly dispenses with the need for doing the background work on picking a candidate.

Maybe we could have done a "Pick the Coach" contest.

better days
01-20-2013, 10:21 PM

The good news for the Eagles is it won't count against the cap when they have to eat the last 3 years of Kelly's contract.

justasportsfan
01-21-2013, 08:52 AM
I think they won on paper in the sense that they really got the guy they wanted and didn't settle for someone whom no one wanted.

ThunderGun
01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
What are you talking about? He's been on the job for 3 weeks. Can we hold off on the win/lose talk? SMH

I can't believe some of the threads that get started here. "We hired one of the hot names, and everybody was happy...but then another coach got hired by another team. We must be incompetent."

better days
01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
What are you talking about? He's been on the job for 3 weeks. Can we hold off on the win/lose talk? SMH

I can't believe some of the threads that get started here. "We hired one of the hot names, and everybody was happy...but then another coach got hired by another team. We must be incompetent."

Speak for yourself. NOT everybody was happy. I wanted Trestman myself, you know, a guy that won Championships, not 8 games in the Big East.

trapezeus
01-21-2013, 10:19 AM
if the bills took chip kelly and he proceeded to take pat schumur as one of his staff members, i think we'd all be really irritated.

the cards have come out as they have. let's see what happens.