• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Did the Bills lose in their HC search?

Chip Kelly was the hot name. Marrone's name was also hot. But not as hot as Kelly's.

Did anyone else feel like we won in the competition for a new HC when we landed Marrone... BUT mostly because Kelly was going back to Oregon? That Marrone was the next best choice?

But the real question is this...

Did you feel like the same old Bills when Kelly actually did make the jump and went to the Eagles?

Like we had to "settle" for Marrone.

Like the choice was another Jauron/Chan/Wade retread or the backup college HC.

I got asked at work about how I felt about Kelly. And the follow up was that between Kelly and Marrone, one built a championship caliber team and the other built a mediocre Big East team.

I responded that I like Marrone better for two main reasons:
    1. Chip Kelly is a douche. Just an arrogant ass. I liked the thought of Kelly and what he might bring and winning is all that matters. But, the guy is a douche. Marrone is more likeable.
    2. Marrone has NFL experience which will really help to get the players to buy in.

Personally, I like our chances to be more successful and quicker than Kelly in Philly.

So the real question is whether you feel like we went into this competition for a new HC with all the other teams. Did we win or lose? Are we new and making a statement or are we the same old Bills?
    Last edited by X-Era; 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM.

• ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: Did the Bills lose in their HC search?

Yup. After reviewing all his games/practices/dealings as Bills head coach I think we lost out. Are you kidding me?
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I never wanted Kelly anyway, so no feelings of loss on my part.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• EricStratton
        • Jul 2002

The main issue I had with Kelly is that he built a winner in Oregon playing a gimmick that I don't think can work in the NFL.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          I never wanted Kelly anyway, so no feelings of loss on my part.
          But did we win or lose?

I mean I actually felt like we won the competition when we got the hot name once we found out Kelly was staying in Oregon.

I got used to the idea of Marrone and really liked it. And then Kelly got hired by the Eagles and I wondered if we "settled".

I think I've convinced myself I like Marrone better than Kelly at this point. But, the thought that we "settled" did creep in.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
            But did we win or lose?
            Nobody can say for sure, yet. If I were to wager, I would bet Marrone is around longer than Kelly at the NFL level, and more successful.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Chip Kelly was the hot name. Marrone's name was also hot. But not as hot as Kelly's.

Did anyone else feel like we won in the competition for a new HC when we landed Marrone... BUT mostly because Kelly was going back to Oregon? That Marrone was the next best choice?

But the real question is this...

Did you feel like the same old Bills when Kelly actually did make the jump and went to the Eagles?

Like we had to "settle" for Marrone.

Like the choice was another Jauron/Chan/Wade retread or the backup college HC.

I got asked at work about how I felt about Kelly. And the follow up was that between Kelly and Marrone, one built a championship caliber team and the other built a mediocre Big East team.

I responded that I like Marrone better for two main reasons:
              1. Chip Kelly is a douche. Just an arrogant ass. I liked the thought of Kelly and what he might bring and winning is all that matters. But, the guy is a douche. Marrone is more likeable.
              2. Marrone has NFL experience which will really help to get the players to buy in.

Personally, I like our chances to be more successful and quicker than Kelly in Philly.

So the real question is whether you feel like we went into this competition for a new HC with all the other teams. Did we win or lose? Are we new and making a statement or are we the same old Bills?
              The more likeable Coach is always the best. Just look at Bill Belicheck.

Comment

• Bmax
                • Aug 2003

We won...Kelly was not even the best coach in college or Pac 12.. That honor for Pac 12 would go to David Shaw who was highly sought after by numerous NFL teams before signing an extension..Shaw has lesser personel and beatg Kelly this season.. Shaw had nine years of NFL experience .. He runs a system that would very successful in the NFL. We won over most teams except KC...Who got Andy Reid...Cleveland hire was really a joke...to me at least they wanted Marrone but lost out to us...Bears .. Marc Trestman ...LOL are you kidding they fired Lovie for him...Mike Mccoy good hire but no head coaching experience,, I could go on....Marrone has hired some guys with little NFL ex as asst...but the coordinators should be ok...I feel we got the 2nd or 3rd best guy that is more then you can say about the past couple of coaches we have hired...

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                  • Sep 2008

Chip Kelly was the hot name. Marrone's name was also hot. But not as hot as Kelly's. Did anyone else feel like we won in the competition for a new HC when we landed Marrone... BUT mostly because Kelly was going back to Oregon? That Marrone was the next best choice? But the real question is this... Did you feel like the same old Bills when Kelly actually did make the jump and went to the Eagles? Like we had to "settle" for Marrone. Like the choice was another Jauron/Chan/Wade retread or the backup college HC. I got asked at work about how I felt about Kelly. And the follow up was that between Kelly and Marrone, one built a championship caliber team and the other built a mediocre Big East team. I responded that I like Marrone better for two main reasons:

Personally, I like our chances to be more successful and quicker than Kelly in Philly. So the real question is whether you feel like we went into this competition for a new HC with all the other teams. Did we win or lose? Are we new and making a statement or are we the same old Bills?
                  Getting Marrone wasn't settling, it was gambling. I think interviewing Kelly was nothing more than due diligence on the part of Nix and Brandon, but the choice was always going to be Marrone. Settling is ending up with Chan Gailey, or Dick Jauron. The Bills had other options this time. When them 2 were hired, they were hired because no one else wanted the job that the Bills were interested in hiring. Those are coaches they settled for. This seems to me more like a publicity stunt in order to boost ticket sales from that area of New York. Marrone reeks of a Brandon move. That's why I have my suspicions of it, but it has nothing to do with Chip Kelly. JMO

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

Not yet.

Comment

• imbondz
                      Democrats are people too
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      The more likeable Coach is always the best. Just look at Bill Belicheck.
                      i've heard Belicheats hysterically funny, just not in front of the press, and well liked by his players.
                      My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• kishoph
                        • Jun 2003

I'm happy with the Marrone hire, at first I would of preferred Kelly, but that was because of not knowing much about Marrone, but since Marrone has become the Bills HC and the Kelly flip flopping, I'm glad we landed Marrone and I would be extremely happy to see Kelly fall flat on his face in the NFL. I really believe the Bills came out ahead on this. I think that if Kelly 'comes out of the gate' slow, he's going to start having regrets and lose it.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

How can we answer this question until games are played ?
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Dude
                            that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
                            • Feb 2005

Those who say Marrone built a mediocre Big East team have no idea exactly what he accomplished at Syracuse and are doing him a tremendous disservice.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

So it's just about off-season headlines and blog approval ?

We've turned into nothing more than TMZ sports. If that's what it's all about, we should have just hired a Kardashian.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X