• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

There Is Only 1 QB The Bills Would Reach For At #8

Nassib

Not saying I would agree with it (I don't) but would understand the gambling logic of Marrone. Could they wait until round 2 ?

His offense and Hackett are here and the learning curve would be next to zero. He'd be comfortable in it by the 5th day of mini-camp, let alone pre-season.

The wild card is whether he's even ready to step in immediately. Still, he would probably be named the starter quickly. The whole "rookie QB's can't play" thinking is dying quickly in the NFL.

If Fitz is cut prior to his March bonus, the chances increase dramatically.

Personally, I see a crying need for 2 LB's, a WR and a CB, in addition to QB. I suppose FA prior to draft weekend could provide some answers.

Well... at least things aren't dull, like the last dozen off-seasons.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • kishoph
    • Jun 2003

Re: There Is Only 1 QB The Bills Would Reach For At #8

I think the gambling would be waiting till the 2nd round, if they like him, take him, too many teams need QB's.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

If the Bills take a QB at 8 I hope it is NOT Nassib.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

No way. I hope your wrong. Nassib is hardly worth a second round pick.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
          • Nov 2007

say what you will about production, but i disagree on this front. last off season was definitely exciting bringing in high priced pash rush
          I came.
          I saw.
          I conquered.

Comment

• IAG
            • Jan 2005

If you think he can play QB, go get him.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Yeah, I think that's pretty much a given. Can't see them reaching for anybody else.

It's going to be real interesting watching the first 8 picks this year, especially if by some odd chance nobody ahead of Buffalo grabs a QB. Do they still snag Nassib, or go elsewhere and see if he drops or try to trade back in to the first?
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                • Feb 2005

Here's what I wrote in another thread... I think it fits here as well...

I agree that NO QB in this draft is worth the #8 pick. Some are saying go BPA and move back into the 1st round... But losing draft picks is counter productive. My thoughts are to move down as far as possible. I don't care if we can only move 2 spots... Then we go from there with an extra 2nd or 3rd.

That said... I would consider Nassib... But not for all the obvious reasons (same coaches, same offense, etc.). He was raw 3 years ago... He's shown tremendous growth over those 3 years... And if last season is any indicator, his growth is on an exponential scale. If that continues for 1 or 2 more seasons, he could, quite possibly, become elite in the NFL.

Hell... Drafting is a crap shoot anyway.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

You know they are going to take Nassib when they pick first. If they can trade down I can see them trying that but if it's not an option then they will take him. The pieces just all fit together on too many levels.

Comment

• kishoph
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post

That said... I would consider Nassib... But not for all the obvious reasons (same coaches, same offense, etc.). He was raw 3 years ago... He's shown tremendous growth over those 3 years... And if last season is any indicator, his growth is on an exponential scale. If that continues for 1 or 2 more seasons, he could, quite possibly, become elite in the NFL.

Hell... Drafting is a crap shoot anyway.
                    So you think that Nassib possibly could become an elite QB, yet not worth taking with the 8th pick, there's a lot of risk - reward here. There's no player in any draft that is guaranteed to succeed, but I think I would take the risk on a QB than any other position, when the team so desperately needs one. I guess it all depends if the Bills really believe that (name) is going to be able to lead their team, if they're sold on that player, then get him.

Comment

• mightysimi
                      Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                      I think the gambling would be waiting till the 2nd round, if they like him, take him, too many teams need QB's.
                      I disagree. The teams that need a QB are picking ahead of us. Less the Jets. If a QB gets by us and the Jets, chances are they will be there in the second round. We can fill another hole without reaching for a QB in the first.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                        I disagree. The teams that need a QB are picking ahead of us. Less the Jets. If a QB gets by us and the Jets, chances are they will be there in the second round. We can fill another hole without reaching for a QB in the first.
                        No. Those QB needy teams that pick ahead of us in the first also pick ahead of us in the 2nd. There will be a run on QBs either in the first or at the top of the second. If you sit around until Pick #40 waiting for a QB to fall into your lap, you are taking a massive risk.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                          • Sep 2008

This years entire draft class looks void of any top 10 worthy talent anyway, so yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to see them draft Nassib at 8. JMO

Comment

• John Doe
                            Florida Man
                            • Jul 2002

From "Eight Offensive Players to Watch at the Senior Bowl" http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eight-o...9666--nfl.html

1. Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse (6020, 228 and 5.05): Already rising up draft boards, NFL personnel are excited to see Nassib matched up with the best senior talent in the country. Quick and athletic to avoid pressure, re-set and make accurate throws, Nassib has NFL teams intrigued. After charting out Nassib in five games we consider him to be the best quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft and worth drafting with the first overall pick, so we are excited to see how he does in Mobile. Blessed with a strong arm, the ball bursts out of his hand and he can make 15+ yard throws with zip even when a defender is about to hit him and he cannot stride into his throw. Having played in the Big East where the defenses are not the same caliber as the SEC and some of the other conferences, NFL teams are interested to see how he does against top defenders. The big thing that Nassib must work on is his deep passing as he tends to put too much air under his throws which forces his receivers to slow up and wait for the ball. This allows the defensive back to close and make a play on the ball. He could be the story of Mobile if he has a strong week and begins climbing up into the high first round.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

The way these things work, depending on the rest of the games, this guy could climb the boards pretty fast and everybody who wants him will be clamoring to trade up, not sit still or trade down. I guarantee it, unless of course, he really ****s the bed in the senior game.

Teams I see potentially taking a QB pretty high...KC, Jax, Oakland, Philly, Cleveland, Arizona, NY Jets, San Diego, Tampa, Dallas, Houston.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X