PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who has doubts?

jamze132
01-20-2013, 12:59 PM
We have a middle of the pack NCAA offense coming to the NFL disguised as Buffalo Bills.

Granted we've sucked for more than a decade but seriously?

Forgive me if I'm not feeling this just yet.

psubills62
01-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Outside of Pettine, I'm not terribly thrilled with the coaches Marrone brought in.

As a Bills fan, it's hard not to have doubts at this point. Just have to see what happens.

Typ0
01-20-2013, 01:14 PM
I think we are way ahead of the curve...but that being said probably means the lumps are going to be a little harder. We shall see...

jamze132
01-20-2013, 01:19 PM
I can't imagine that all of the veterans are going to buy into Marrone's system, which if that happens, is not going to be a good model for the younger guys. I know we're a relatively young team which is what Marrone needs but this has boom or complete bust written all over it.

YardRat
01-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Of course we have doubts. I like to cling to a little bit of optimism and hope, though, also.

psubills62
01-20-2013, 01:37 PM
I can't imagine that all of the veterans are going to buy into Marrone's system, which if that happens, is not going to be a good model for the younger guys. I know we're a relatively young team which is what Marrone needs but this has boom or complete bust written all over it.
I guess I should have specifically addressed the offense, since that's what your OP was, but I'm not real worried about that. I do wonder if it will be effective, but Marrone's offense isn't what you might call a "college" offense. It's main elements are from pro offenses.

Lone Stranger
01-20-2013, 02:37 PM
We have a middle of the pack NCAA offense coming to the NFL disguised as Buffalo Bills.

Exactly my thoughts.

ServoBillieves
01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
We have no clue how his system is going to look, what personnel will be added, or how the coaches will be received. Who wouldn't have doubts?

IAG
01-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Find a QB folks.

MidnightVoice
01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
When we are 6 and 3 and have won two of our last 3 games I might develop a tinge of hope.

But not right now

imbondz
01-20-2013, 04:06 PM
if you don't have doubts after 13 years of this you're smokin something. doesn't mean I don't have hope, but way more doubts. I certainly hope Marrone has what it takes to be a great NFL coach.

better days
01-20-2013, 10:14 PM

You must have me on ignore or you would know you are not alone. I do like the Pettine hire, but outside of him, I am less than thrilled.

mikemac2001
01-21-2013, 01:16 AM

I think cuse was 18th in total o or yards not really middlr of the pack

Buddo
01-21-2013, 01:56 AM
I believe it's way too early to think about stuff like this. Too many factors are yet to be determined, not least of which will be QB. We might also see other offensive additions, in the form of a WR, that would also have an effect, especially if it's a FA.
The offense that Marrone designed for the Saints, is much more likely to be the sort of thing we will see, rather than the Syracuse version.
Even that, is only 'likely'. Marrone has shown he is prepared to switch things around, when he went to a more up-tempo offense, with Syracuse last season, which was only decided upon, apparently, a few weeks prior to their season starting.
There are a lot of ways that Marrone might jump, from an offensive 'system' standpoint, but I feel that he's going to come up with something that will stand up, in terms of being both acceptable, and successful, in the NFL.
If you want a starting point for what he might implement, then I think you could look at how the 2006 Saints used Bush and Mccallister. McCallister had over 1000 yds rushing, and Bush close to 600. Bush had a load more yards receiving as well though. I would expect that Marrone can come up with a way of utilizing Spiller and Jackson much more effectively, than has been the case with Gailey.

BertSquirtgum
01-21-2013, 01:56 AM
I am optimistic Marrone can turn this **** pile around. I had no hope when Gailey was hired. At least now I feel good about the team again.

Extremebillsfan247
01-21-2013, 02:31 AM
We have a middle of the pack NCAA offense coming to the NFL disguised as Buffalo Bills. Granted we've sucked for more than a decade but seriously? Forgive me if I'm not feeling this just yet. There's nothing wrong with having doubts. After all, this team has a lot to prove after 13 straight seasons of futility. But for me, there is still some optimism, but I'm also slightly skeptical of a better outcome. It's not because I don't think Marrone can get it done at the NFL level. But I'm already questioning in the back of my mind whether a bunch of guys from Syracuse are really the answer this team has been looking for to do what a lot of coaches failed to do here. The Bills haven't had a winning season in 8 years now. If your not at least a little skeptical, there's probably something wrong with you. lol Just my opinion.

Night Train
01-21-2013, 04:27 AM
The unknown and doubt have a handshake agreement.

Still, they are making an effort to take a different route, rather than play it safe and hire failing retreads like Lovie or Whisenhunt. I would have given up with those hires.

Games cannot be won or lost for 8 months plus. I'm sure Jim Kelly will have some conversations with Marrone over fine tuning the old K-gun spread. D Coordinator grew up on the Ravens D.

First time in a LONG time I've been looking forward to something that may be fun. And this time, Ralph may not meddle.

Historian
01-21-2013, 05:31 AM
I just don't care anymore.

I never thought I would say that either. I've followed this team since 1967, through thick and thin.

I hope this guy is the answer, but with Brandon calling the shots, my feeling is that I have better ways to spend my time and money in the fall.

For the sake of all you great die-hards, whom I've come to know, respect, and care about, I hope this group turns it around for you, I really do.

I won't be paying much attention at all. Life's too short.

Oldbillsfan
01-21-2013, 07:54 AM
I feel really good about the hire. They will get a Qb of the future and next year the Bills will take the AFC east. It should have been this season.

justasportsfan
01-21-2013, 08:41 AM
my cautious optimism is from Marrone being able to turn an entire program around. Like he said, the coach has to be the CEO and able to overlook every unit on this team. Dick was at the mercy of his OC's and Chan was at the mercy of his DC's. Dick wanted to stamp his play not to lose mentality on the offense and while Chan's offense wasn't conservative, he was conservative in developing players and trusted a conservative Wanny to run the D however he wanted.

I just want an aggressive system. Whether Marrone can pull it off, I don't know.

Fletch
01-21-2013, 09:29 AM

You're far from alone. But unfortunately PT Barnum was right. The majority of Bills fans apparently BILL-ieve in the move.

So once again, apart from sound, wise, and robust decision-making, the Bills have reeled fans back in with more smoke-n-mirrors Brandon magic act marketing.

All this does is to cement the notion that the franchise will never step outside of its Polian-excepted franchise of futility until it has another owner.

In the meantime, the team apparently has what it wants again, a good hook to get the suckers to buy tickets and a new flashy stadium. But hey, I guess if that's what matters to most fans, great. Count me out.

I'll take the days of the blistering cold in cold aluminum seats with "substandard" refreshments and longer lines in the can and conference championship wins over the Raiders, Broncos, Fins, and Chiefs over TVs in the restrooms and bean-counting fools running the organization any day of the week.

Apparently we can't have both. I'm not interested in the latter, but unfortunately enough people are.

Want real change? How about a half-full stadium for the home opener? Spare me the cry-me-a-river bit on the team staying in Buffalo.

Fletch
01-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Outside of Pettine, I'm not terribly thrilled with the coaches Marrone brought in.

As a Bills fan, it's hard not to have doubts at this point. Just have to see what happens.

Just so you know, Pettine didn't routinely call the pays in NY either. Ryan let him for a stretch but didn't care for the results. Notice that Ryan wasn't exactly crying in his soup over Pettine's departure.

Doesn't seem as if anyone commenting on Pettine knew that he hardly ever called the D plays.

Does that alter your opinion any?

Fletch
01-21-2013, 09:35 AM

As a result there will necessarily be another rebuild, which I'm sure that they'll announce at some point to buy themselves as much time as possible.

The odds of boom are so remote given the extent of all the hurdles that need to be cleared. The odds of complete bust are notably greater. We're probably looking at 95/5 here, if that.

Expect complete disaster, and apart from likely getting it, you won't be disappointed.

Those disappointed, once again, will be the ones that spend lots of their hard-earned money on tix and merchandise, parking, concessions, etc., only to see the team outcoached and outclassed again.

Fletch
01-21-2013, 09:38 AM

I never thought I would say that either. I've followed this team since 1967, through thick and thin.

I hope this guy is the answer, but with Brandon calling the shots, my feeling is that I have better ways to spend my time and money in the fall.

For the sake of all you great die-hards, whom I've come to know, respect, and care about, I hope this group turns it around for you, I really do.

Well put!

TigerJ
01-21-2013, 12:08 PM
I can't imagine having come through more than a decade or mediocrity and disappointment and not having doubts. I like the offensive and defensive schemes as I've read them described, but as others have observed, appart from Pettine the assistant coaches' resumes aren't particularly impressive. However, since I can't worry really affect what the Bills do in the offseason, I'm not going to worry too much about it. If we see mediocrity in the fall, I'll just be disappointed again.

BertSquirtgum
01-21-2013, 01:03 PM

You can say that all you want. Come OTA's you will be paying attention.

justasportsfan
01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
You can say that all you want. Come OTA's you will be paying attention.

we will all be paying attention, doesn't mean he'll be throwing his money like Historian has done through the years.

BertSquirtgum
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
we will all be paying attention, doesn't mean he'll be throwing his money like Historian has done through the years.

I will be until next year when they suck again.

jamze132
01-22-2013, 06:37 AM
I guess I should have specifically addressed the offense, since that's what your OP was, but I'm not real worried about that. I do wonder if it will be effective, but Marrone's offense isn't what you might call a "college" offense. It's main elements are from pro offenses.

Minus the NFL experience.

jamze132
01-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Oh I forgot, Marrone was the OC in NO when Brees was lighting **** up! Now I'm pumped up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarcasm/

psubills62
01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Oh I forgot, Marrone was the OC in NO when Brees was lighting **** up! Now I'm pumped up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarcasm/
Does that somehow not count?

Bill O'Brien was in the same position with Brady/Belichick. He didn't seem to run the offense, but he obviously took away a significant amount and his offense is quite potent (with a former walk-on at QB no less). Based on what Marrone ran at Syracuse, I'd say he learned quite a bit from his time at New Orleans.

If people want to rip Marrone for legit things, go ahead. The "college-ness" of the offense shouldn't be one of them. What about it specifically is the issue? Or is it just that he's "from a college team," so it must be a college offense?

better days
01-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Just so you know, Pettine didn't routinely call the pays in NY either. Ryan let him for a stretch but didn't care for the results. Notice that Ryan wasn't exactly crying in his soup over Pettine's departure.

Doesn't seem as if anyone commenting on Pettine knew that he hardly ever called the D plays.

Does that alter your opinion any?

Pettine called plays all of 2011. That year the Jets had more success than this year. In his end of year PC, Ryan said he wished Pettine well unless he went to BUFFALO. I am very happy with the Pettine hire myself.