PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh!

DrGraves
01-21-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm heading to the game on Thursday against the Canes. I've heard lots of great things about playing in Carolina, mostly that Canes fans hate going when the Sabres are in town because Buffalo fans travel so well... so for that reason I'm really pumped to go.

Have any of you been to a game there? I'll probably head up to town earlier in the day from Charlotte. Any good sight seeing or local spots in Raleigh during the day? I've never been.

SabreEleven
01-22-2013, 03:21 AM
They also hate when the Sabres play because the Sabres fans get drunk and act like asses...It's not a NASCAR race so the Carolina fans aren't really that interested so they are kind of sober.

DrGraves
01-22-2013, 08:37 AM
They also hate when the Sabres play because the Sabres fans get drunk and act like asses...It's not a NASCAR race so the Carolina fans aren't really that interested so they are kind of sober.

welp! i'm looking forward to meeting some fellow sabres breathren

YankeeInRaleigh
01-22-2013, 08:54 AM
There will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many sabres jerseys at the game, I swear beforehand in the parking lot it feels like half the fans are for buffalo.

Raleigh itself, not much in the way of sports that I know of. It's a Thursday night, I doubt there will be that much going on.

stevesy
01-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Yeah Raleigh doesn't have too much in the way of sight seeing spots. Durham and Chapel Hill have more interesting things to see if you want to see some sights. Duke's campus is relatively nice. Going by Cameron Indoor (if you've never seen a game there) is always worthwhile, just to see how unbelievably small it is.

Going to games in Carolina is pretty fun. I do get a lot of attitude down there but that's what makes it fun. If I jumped up and screamed when the Sabres scored and no one told me to sit my ass down, I'd feel kinda disappointed.

I've got my share of stories from Carolina, but for the most part the people are friendly and gracious. And they'll give you the usual Buffalo sports zingers (wide right, no goal, etc.). In general, the cheaper your seats, the more a-holes you'll be around. Same goes for most places in my experience.

gebobs
01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
I might head up. A old college mate of mine lives in Durham...his wife is a prof at Duke and he's a stay-at-home dad (BS Eng, MBA notwithstanding).

rbochan
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Take your baby-eating gear.

JD
01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm heading to the game on Thursday against the Canes. I've heard lots of great things about playing in Carolina, mostly that Canes fans hate going when the Sabres are in town because Buffalo fans travel so well... so for that reason I'm really pumped to go.

Have any of you been to a game there? I'll probably head up to town earlier in the day from Charlotte. Any good sight seeing or local spots in Raleigh during the day? I've never been.

This is how it all started, 6 years ago... and they still hate us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgK5h8E0z-M

JD
01-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Pardon my 18-year old drunken ***** voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSUIBmb1pw

When you show up to this game, you'll see Hurricanes fans tailgating like it's a picnic. If you tell the parking attendants you're a Sabres fan, they'll likely put you in a separate area called "Sabres Alley". At least that how it was as recent as 3 years ago. Have fun! Be loud, but respectful!

JD
01-22-2013, 06:30 PM
One more from the ECF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIVdcyJOGd4

don137
01-24-2013, 06:29 AM
The funny thing is the Hurricanes are having a promotion that if you buy a ticket to the Sabres-Hurricanes game tonight you get a free ticket to one of three future games yet Sabres games are tough to come by in Buffalo.
I have been to a few games there and it's a mixed bag. Some hate Sabres fans with passion and others are friendly and fine with it.

OpIv37
01-24-2013, 07:12 AM
Just be ready to answer a lot of questions from Canes "fans" like "what's icing?" And "why are they skating on the whole thjng and not letting tailgaters park in the middle to watch?" And "why is there no 4th quarter?"

SabreEleven
01-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Just be ready to answer a lot of questions from Canes "fans" like "what's icing?" And "why are they skating on the whole thjng and not letting tailgaters park in the middle to watch?" And "why is there no 4th quarter?"

and "Why are those guys turning right?"

gebobs
01-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Leaving for Raleigh now.

Here’s the view from our seats. (http://www.seats3d.com/nhl/carolina_hurricanes/#/p_106_3/) Sabres shoot twice at that end.

rbochan
01-24-2013, 09:13 AM

They're just folks that see an oval shaped surface and naturally assume that something will be driving around it.
Imagine their surprise after a 20 minute warmup that it's only two Zambonis!

SabreEleven
01-24-2013, 10:24 AM
They're just folks that see an oval shaped surface and naturally assume that something will be driving around it.
Imagine their surprise after a 20 minute warmup that it's only two Zambonis!

and they wonder why Jeff Gordon and Dale Ernhardt Jr aren't driving them.

Mski
01-24-2013, 02:00 PM
and they wonder why Jeff Gordon and Dale Ernhardt Jr aren't driving them. NASCAR is testing at lowes motor speedway this weekend, so its within the realm of possibility that one or both of those two could be at the game