• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Lost in the Lewis Coverage - Gonzo's last game

Ray Lewis has sucked up the media spotlight unlike no other, but quietly in the corner Tony Gonzalez may have played his last game.

Gonzo had never won a playoff game until this season, and he's the greatest TE to ever play the game. He's quiet, professional, he's the anti Ray Lewis.

Over his career he racked up 13 Pro Bowls, 14,000 receiving yards, 103 Touchdowns, and 1200 receptions.

As the lights went out on Atlanta on Sunday you didn't see Gonzo making a spectacle of himself, you saw a player who gave everything he had to give to the sport, to his team, it was never about him. He's truly an icon in the sport and should be celebrated as such.

To Gonzo
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Lost in the Lewis Coverage - Gonzo's last game

Fantastic player. 1st ballot HOF'r, without question.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Tony G changed the game forever. He made the Tight end position a legitimate go-to target in the passing game.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
        Sab and TD are insignificant
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
        Ray Lewis has sucked up the media spotlight unlike no other, but quietly in the corner Tony Gonzalez may have played his last game.

Gonzo had never won a playoff game until this season, and he's the greatest TE to ever play the game. He's quiet, professional, he's the anti Ray Lewis.

Over his career he racked up 13 Pro Bowls, 14,000 receiving yards, 103 Touchdowns, and 1200 receptions.

As the lights went out on Atlanta on Sunday you didn't see Gonzo making a spectacle of himself, you saw a player who gave everything he had to give to the sport, to his team, it was never about him. He's truly an icon in the sport and should be celebrated as such.

To Gonzo
        My grampa hates the guy - my grampa is a raiders fan though...
        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• imbondz
          Democrats are people too
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by pinkdogg32 View Post
          Tony G changed the game forever. He made the Tight end position a legitimate go-to target in the passing game.
          Gonzalez isn't the 1st tight end to make the position a legitimate go to target, but i'd say he took it to another level.

Shannon Sharpe - 3 SB titles, 10,000 yds receiving. If Antonio Gates remained healthy, he'd have surpassed both players stats.
          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• The King
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
            Gonzalez isn't the 1st tight end to make the position a legitimate go to target, but i'd say he took it to another level.

Shannon Sharpe - 3 SB titles, 10,000 yds receiving. If Antonio Gates remained healthy, he'd have surpassed both players stats.

Sharpe and Coates really came on at the same time 1993.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• DynaPaul
              • Sep 2003

One of the best Tight Ends ever and I wish we could have signed him though his time would have been wasted in Buffalo. He's a class act guy. I'm sorry he never got a ring but he does that an outstanding to career to show for it.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

And before Gonzo, Sharpe and Gates there was Newsome and Winslow.

To say Gonzo revolutionized how TEs are used in the NFL diminishes what the guys before him did.

Statistically Gonzo, as of right now, is the best TE to play the game...give it another 8-10 years and Graham, Gronk or Hernandez will pass him.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post

To say Gonzo revolutionized how TEs are used in the NFL diminishes what the guys before him did.

Statistically Gonzo, as of right now, is the best TE to play the game...give it another 8-10 years and Graham, Gronk or Hernandez will pass him.
                  As if playing at such a high level for such a long time is easy.

Gronk and Hernandez need to stay healthy and do it when Brady retires. Same for Graham.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post

All three of those guys could repeat their statistical best seasons 10 straight times and not catch Gonzo for receptions. It would take at least 8 to catch him in yards. That's unreal.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• The King
                      • Jun 2004

And Gonzo barely played in the defenseless receiver era.

He really should consider coming back for one more... he can still play... and he's on a competitor.
                      It was all

Comment

• cookie G
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                        As if playing at such a high level for such a long time is easy.
                        Oh, it isn't. And the level that he played in his last year is amazing. One of my favorite players of the last 20 years. And as a TE with WR skills, he could actually block, and block well. He's worthy of just about every accolade someone can throw in his direction.

He just didn't revolutionize the position.

That still goes to Winslow, and to an extent, Ozzie. Winslow was the first 250 lb. TE that could be spread out as a WR. His record for yardage as a TE set in 1980, wasn't broken until last year. His record for yardage in a playoff game for a TE wasn't broken until this year.

Winslow was the first WR in an offensive lineman's body.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                          Oh, it isn't. And the level that he played in his last year is amazing. One of my favorite players of the last 20 years. And as a TE with WR skills, he could actually block, and block well. He's worthy of just about every accolade someone can throw in his direction.

He just didn't revolutionize the position.

That still goes to Winslow, and to an extent, Ozzie. Winslow was the first 250 lb. TE that could be spread out as a WR. His record for yardage as a TE set in 1980, wasn't broken until last year. His record for yardage in a playoff game for a TE wasn't broken until this year.

Winslow was the first WR in an offensive lineman's body.
                          Gonzalez may not have revolutionized it himself but the impact that his sustained success had has really made the TE more of a glamorous position I guess, in my opinion. Ozzie, Winslow, etc started the ball rolling, Sharpe, Coates continued it, and Gonzalez and Gates have caused what we see now with all these guys like Gronk, Hernandez, Graham,etc

Comment

Working...
                          X