PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider: Bills should cut Fitz

Pinkerton Security
01-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Ryan Fitzpatrick (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick), Buffalo Bills (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills) ($10.4 million)
When Buffalo GM Buddy Nix looks back on his career, his signing of Fitzpatrick to a long-term deal won't be viewed as one of his masterstrokes. The faith showed in Fitzpatrick was misplaced, but despite the upcoming cap hit, Nix at least had enough foresight to ensure cutting Fitzpatrick wouldn't be a tricky maneuver.
While the Bills don't appear to be in a position to find their franchise quarterback, the past season and a half has shown them that Fitzpatrick isn't that guy. Despite having the sixth-highest percentage of passes attempted within 2.5 seconds of the snap, he managed only the 24th-ranked adjusted accuracy percentage while a staggering 53.2 percent of his yards came after the catch (ranking third in the league).
It's not that he was gun shy, as a respectable 10.1 percent of all attempts were aimed 20-plus yards in the air. It's that he couldn't connect, with an abysmal 27.5 adjusted accuracy percentage that was second lowest in the league.
If nothing else, Fitzpatrick will stand as a reminder to teams not to pay the bill before the food arrives.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8868197/nfl-corey-webster-ryan-fitzpatrick-suggested-salary-cap-cuts

I have to agree.

Ed
01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't think Fitzpatrick getting cut will come as a shock to anyone.

ublinkwescore
01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't even want him here as a back up after a paycut...

Chase Daniel and Ryan Nassib please!

Pinkerton Security
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't think Fitzpatrick getting cut will come as a shock to anyone.

Nope, but NOT cutting him wouldnt be any shock either, which makes it that much more intriguing...really could go either way.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-22-2013, 11:46 AM
In other news, you shouldn't have unprotected sex with a prostitute.

Don't Panic
01-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Agreed with pink... too much uncertainty to say he will or won't be cut at this point. My money has him staying and handing over the reins in the first half of the '13 season, then being cut this time next year. Since there are virtually no cap savings, it really doesn't make financial sense to let him go.

ublinkwescore
01-22-2013, 11:53 AM
In other news, you shouldn't have unprotected sex with a prostitute.

I see libs are ok with sex with prostitutes if it's protected sex...

IAG
01-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Chase Daniel?

better days
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Agreed with pink... too much uncertainty to say he will or won't be cut at this point. My money has him staying and handing over the reins in the first half of the '13 season, then being cut this time next year. Since there are virtually no cap savings, it really doesn't make financial sense to let him go.

The cap savings is small, but there is real money savings by cutting Fitz. I say cut him.

psubills62
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
The main question is how much money does it actually free up?

THRILLHO
01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Sure glad I dont pay for ESPN Insider if they are writing stuff like that. Do they also charge people to read about the sky being blue?

kishoph
01-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I see no reason to retain him, it's not like the Bills are going to run an offense that Fitz is familiar with, they certainly can find a better backup through FA or the draft.

mightysimi
01-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I think that he is a serviceable backup with plenty of experience. I think they will restructure and save a bunch of money. If he won't restructure, then cut him.

- - - Updated - - -

Chase Daniel?

Ya really, I don't get it either.

Pinkerton Security
01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Sure glad I dont pay for ESPN Insider if they are writing stuff like that. Do they also charge people to read about the sky being blue?

I dont pay for it either :dance2:

EDS
01-22-2013, 03:26 PM
I see no reason to retain him, it's not like the Bills are going to run an offense that Fitz is familiar with, they certainly can find a better backup through FA or the draft.

Can they find a better starter or even back-up option? Nix has not brought in anyone to compete with him yet.

kishoph
01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Can they find a better starter or even back-up option? Nix has not brought in anyone to compete with him yet.

What are they going to compete at in January ?

THRILLHO
01-23-2013, 04:43 PM
We could always trade for a vet and have him never dress for a game. Oh, wait...

BertSquirtgum
01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Fitzputrid should have been a free agent after the 2011 season. Buddy Nix is an idiot.

Dozerdog
01-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Don't cut him until you have a legit backup plan. If you cut him now and then try to go after a free agent the price goes up almost out of desperation. Wait until an Alex Smith or some other retread comes along

better days
01-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Don't cut him until you have a legit backup plan. If you cut him now and then try to go after a free agent the price goes up almost out of desperation. Wait until an Alex Smith or some other retread comes along

I think he gets cut in June, so the Bills should be set at QB.

kishoph
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure, but I think I remember hearing in order to save the little money they will save by cutting him, it has to be done some time in March.

better days
01-24-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure, but I think I remember hearing in order to save the little money they will save by cutting him, it has to be done some time in March.

You might be right, but I think I read they would be better off waiting until June to cut him.