PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones

Mr. Miyagi
01-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Mayock said Landry Jones has been a standout at the Senior Bowl practices and his stock has risen greatly. Remember a year ago he was one of the hot names had he come out then. He is very likely to be there in the 2nd or even 3rd so we might be able to get our stud ILB first or even a WR.

Thoughts?

Skooby
01-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Sure, I'm in.

Lone Stranger
01-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I want him.

cookie G
01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Has a rep as a choker, somewhat deserved.

kishoph
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
ESPN radio said just the opposite, that Jones has struggled in the practices. I DVR'd the little bit that the NFL network has shown and surfed through some of it, but didn't watch Jones. Also I think I'd rather watch it with the sound off so I don't have to hear Mayock.

ThunderGun
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Also I think I'd rather watch it with the sound off so I don't have to hear Mayock.

I don't get why people hate on Mayock so much. He's a great analyst.

RedEyE
01-23-2013, 10:02 AM
I'd trust Mayock's word over Kiper. Mayock is at these games calling play-by-play and talking with the players.

Where's Kiper 9 months out of the year? Dude pokes his goofy head up the same time of year, alongside the ground hog, then disappears just after April. ESPN is a joke.

sukie
01-23-2013, 10:02 AM
I wish we could hear from Gruden on all these college QBs in this years draft. He is so awesome when it comes eyeing QB talent. (sarcasm)

cookie G
01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
I'd trust Mayock's word over Kiper. Mayock is at these games calling play-by-play and talking with the players.

Where's Kiper 9 months out of the year? Dude pokes his goofy head up the same time of year, alongside the ground hog, then disappears just after April. ESPN is a joke.

Take Mayock with a grain of salt also. He really pimped Gabbert when he came out. You'd have thought he was his publicist.

Ed
01-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Take Mayock with a grain of salt also. He really pimped Gabbert when he came out. You'd have thought he was his publicist.
All of these guys are going to be wrong sometimes. If they weren't, they'd be the GM of a perennial SB contender.

The last buffalo fan
01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Anything to not to take Nassib with our first! :pray:

Ingtar33
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
I wish we could hear from Gruden on all these college QBs in this years draft. He is so awesome when it comes eyeing QB talent. (sarcasm)

in Gruden's world everyone is special... awesome even... the greatest ever!

The last buffalo fan
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
in Gruden's world everyone is special... awesome even... the greatest ever!

Of all the Qbs on this years draft, which one would Ingtar draft and why?

Crisis
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM

I remember Kiper pretty much guaranteed Claussen would be an elite QB and had him like #4 overall in that draft.. That one will always stand out to me.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-23-2013, 12:58 PM
From my understanding, Jones has all the physical tools but people are concerned about his mental toughness. Sounds fine to me, the Bills don't play in big games anyway.

K-Gun
01-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Landry Jones reminds me of Matt Schaub. Tyler Wilson reminds me of Tony Romo. Forgive me if I'm not satisfied for settling for Matt Schaub or Tony Romo.

I think this year is the year to sign a vet like Alex Smith to be a 2-3 year solution. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd if you really think he has starter potential. But form everything I've read, next years qb class as true #1 prospects worth investing the 1st round pick on, particularly because its a 3 year investment. If you reach on a guy in the 1st this year, you don't draft one in the 1st next year b/c you invested the 1st round pick. Wait till next year when the guy's there that's elite.

Pinkerton Security
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Landry Jones reminds me of Matt Schaub. Tyler Wilson reminds me of Tony Romo. Forgive me if I'm not satisfied for settling for Matt Schaub or Tony Romo.

I think this year is the year to sign a vet like Alex Smith to be a 2-3 year solution. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd if you really think he has starter potential. But form everything I've read, next years qb class as true #1 prospects worth investing the 1st round pick on, particularly because its a 3 year investment. If you reach on a guy in the 1st this year, you don't draft one in the 1st next year b/c you invested the 1st round pick. Wait till next year when the guy's there that's elite.

Romo, I can understand...but Schaub is light years above where Fitz will ever be, so why would you want a player like him? Hes a pretty damn good QB, IMHO

streetkings01
01-23-2013, 03:02 PM

I think this year is the year to sign a vet like Alex Smith to be a 2-3 year solution. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd if you really think he has starter potential. But form everything I've read, next years qb class as true #1 prospects worth investing the 1st round pick on, particularly because its a 3 year investment. If you reach on a guy in the 1st this year, you don't draft one in the 1st next year b/c you invested the 1st round pick. Wait till next year when the guy's there that's elite.Thats the only thing that sucks. If we reach for a guy in the 1st round and he looks like JP his rookie year do you grab another one in the 1st round the following season if your in position to get a stud? Most GM's wont because they dont want to admit a mistake after just one season.

ThunderGun
01-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Romo, I can understand...but Schaub is light years above where Fitz will ever be, so why would you want a player like him? Hes a pretty damn good QB, IMHO

Nah, Schaub is a glorified game-manager. He fails miserably whenever he is asked to carry the load. Don't get me wrong, he is still way better than anything we've had in a long time...but that's not saying much.

Albany,n.y.
01-23-2013, 04:21 PM

Gabbert is 2 for 2 as a coach killer.

Pinkerton Security
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Nah, Schaub is a glorified game-manager. He fails miserably whenever he is asked to carry the load. Don't get me wrong, he is still way better than anything we've had in a long time...but that's not saying much.

My point is, if we had the opportunity to take Matt Schaub in the 2nd or 3rd round of next years draft, where Landry may fall, I'd be all over it.

trapezeus
01-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Thats the only thing that sucks. If we reach for a guy in the 1st round and he looks like JP his rookie year do you grab another one in the 1st round the following season if your in position to get a stud? Most GM's wont because they dont want to admit a mistake after just one season.

With the way qb's have been turning out of college the last couple years, if your guy isn't winning some games and looking capable out the gate, you have to admit you were wrong and try again.

I honestly wouldn't care if the bills select whatever reach QB in the first round this year, and then next year after a 6-10 season with JP numbers inflated because we were losing big because of his dumb plays, we selected another first round qb and said, "you are on a short leash. perform and stay, lose and get replaced."

For god sakes, we have 7 years to get a superbowl. there is no way ralph makes it through the full year of that 7th year if it even gets to that. A little urgency would be much appreciated.

as for reporters hyping up qb's. i think that some of these guys must have deals with qb's. they push the PR button and if a player gets picked in the top 10, they kick a little back to the mayocks and kipers. that's my cynical side talking. it might be a stretch, but why keep putting your name on bad picks? i think we all knew gabbert would blow.

The last buffalo fan
01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Same comments were made over last year qbs class as a year before last year. I was scared with Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and several more draft bust qbs.

X-Era
01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
I think it's similar to Kaep, Ponder, Dalton, Locker. I think it's pretty close on grades so you take who falls or hope the guy you favor falls.

Barkley, Jones, Wilson, Glennon, Nassib all about the same grade wise for me. Probably not a full round difference.

I still think Geno Smith is a notch about the rest of the pack but it's close.

ThunderGun
01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Gabbert is 2 for 2 as a coach killer.

And Mularkey is 2 for 2 as a GM killer.

bigbub2352
01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
i like mike glennon possibly in the first....even if we have to trade back in to get him

i would like jones if we go ilb and wr first

Don't Panic
01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I like Jones. I'm not sure if I like him in the 2nd jut yet, but I'd be more than comfortable in the 3rd.

im trying to do my due diligence with Geno because, although I've been a fan for a while, I want to see whether he I truly deserving of a top 10 pick. Problem is, if he is, he'll be gone by the time were up.

TigerJ
01-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Nobody is right on every prospect, not Gruden, not Mayock, not Kiper. Among analysts Mayock is more respected than most. Fans are still free to accept or reject his opinions.

k-oneputt
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I like Jones. I'm not sure if I like him in the 2nd jut yet, but I'd be more than comfortable in the 3rd.

im trying to do my due diligence with Geno because, although I've been a fan for a while, I want to see whether he I truly deserving of a top 10 pick. Problem is, if he is, he'll be gone by the time were up.

Interesting view on Jones considering the guy everyone is now talking about for the Bills at #8 was a 3rd-4th rd pick two months ago.
Gotta love the draft experts.

k-oneputt
01-23-2013, 09:17 PM
I would still take Jones over Nassib. And Wilson. And Barkley. And maybe even Glennon.

flip a coin with Geno.

kingJofNYC
01-23-2013, 09:47 PM
No thanks, Jones is garbage.

kishoph
01-24-2013, 04:33 AM
I think it's similar to Kaep, Ponder, Dalton, Locker. I think it's pretty close on grades so you take who falls or hope the guy you favor falls.

Barkley, Jones, Wilson, Glennon, Nassib all about the same grade wise for me. Probably not a full round difference.

I still think Geno Smith is a notch about the rest of the pack but it's close.

The one thing you have to consider is will they fall ? With the success of the 2nd and 3rd round QB's recently, plus so many teams with the need at the position, I think teams will be "reaching" in hopes of landing their guy, while he's still there. I can easily see 3 maybe 4 QB's be selected in the 1st round, especially after the Senior Bowl and combine when all the "experts" will be pumping up their guy. I still believe that if the guy you think can lead your team is there when you pick, you take him.

jamze132
01-24-2013, 07:38 AM
The only QB I want in the 1st RD at this point is Geno Smith. I'm fine with Glennon, Jones, or Nassib in the 2nd...if we get Alex Smith.

better days
01-24-2013, 08:22 AM
The only QB I want in the 1st RD at this point is Geno Smith. I'm fine with Glennon, Jones, or Nassib in the 2nd...if we get Alex Smith.

Well, you may risk losing the QB you want if you wait until the 2nd. QB's will be drafted a round before they should be.

Don't Panic
01-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Agreed. I think most if not all of the teams will stand pat in the 1st and only 1-2 QBs will come off the board. The 2nd is where a lot of teams will go QB, and where you'll see a lot of reaches (and some safe picks). Waiting for the 2nd for a QB for us will definitely be a gamble, but I think its one worth taking if Geno is off the board.

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Agreed. I think most if not all of the teams will stand pat in the 1st and only 1-2 QBs will come off the board. The 2nd is where a lot of teams will go QB, and where you'll see a lot of reaches (and some safe picks). Waiting for the 2nd for a QB for us will definitely be a gamble, but I think its one worth taking if Geno is off the board.
As soon as Kansas City take Geno Smith in the 1st, we can trade with them for the 2nd pick of the 2nd round. Give them our 2nd and 3rd will do it.

TigerJ
01-24-2013, 07:25 PM
I think that KC's most likely move is to try and swing a trade for Alex Smith. The won't trade their first round pick, but the 49ers are probably willing to bargain a bit. They'll use their first round pick for BPA, maybe Luke Joeckel. Andy Reid is deeply rooted in the West Coast offense, and Alex Smith is perfectly suited for the WCO. Once KC has drafted, I don't see the next few reaching for a QB. It's possible that no QB is taken before Buffalo picks. That would leave Buffalo with a big decision, go for the best QB in the draft (which is probably still something of a reach), trade the pickto try and draft their QB later in the first round, or pick another position and hope there isn't too big a run on QBs before they pick again in the second round. They could also try to trade back into the the late first to get a QB after drafting another position at #8.

Ingtar33
01-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Of all the Qbs on this years draft, which one would Ingtar draft and why?

there is only one which strikes me as round 1 worthy (Geno Smith)...

a bunch of guys i'd call easy 2nd rounders... who i wouldn't be mad with in the 2nd, including Nasbit, Barkley and Glennon

better days
01-25-2013, 07:35 AM

What will you say if Glennon, Jones & Nassib are gone before the Bills pick in the 2nd?

Mr. Miyagi
01-25-2013, 09:27 AM
After watching some game highlights and Senior Bowl analysis, I've arrived to my choices of 1) Nassib and 2) Jones in the 2nd round. However, Jones' sheepish personality kind of turns me off a little.

Not a big Tyler Wilson fan. Glennon and Manuel I'm hearing have accuracy issues, and accuracy is what you can't teach or get much better at. Otherwise we'd stick with Fitz, who has a lot of the other intangables, just can't throw an accurate ball to save himself.

k-oneputt
01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
What don't you like about wilson ? Ever seen him play ?

Mr. Miyagi
01-25-2013, 11:31 AM
What don't you like about wilson ? Ever seen him play ?
Good accuracy, including deep ball
Sufficient mobility
Continues to look down the field when scrambling
Toughness - hangs in to deliver a pass even with rusher in his face

Dislikes:
Very average arm strength, balls get there slow at times even when need to be a bullet
Seems to stare down receivers
Not the best pocket awareness
Tends to lead receivers into harm's way
Played in mostly shotgun (though not his fault)

I'm far far from being a scout but that's what I've observed. At the end of the day he's no worse than Fitz, but I think Nassib and Jones could be better suited for us.

better days
01-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Good accuracy, including deep ball
Sufficient mobility
Continues to look down the field when scrambling
Toughness - hangs in to deliver a pass even with rusher in his face

Dislikes:
Very average arm strength, balls get there slow at times even when need to be a bullet
Seems to stare down receivers
Not the best pocket awareness
Tends to lead receivers into harm's way
Played in mostly shotgun (though not his fault)

I'm far far from being a scout but that's what I've observed. At the end of the day he's no worse than Fitz, but I think Nassib and Jones could be better suited for us.

I have heard Nassib fires bullets short range when he should use more touch & puts too much air under the ball on long throws.

Mr. Miyagi
01-25-2013, 12:16 PM
I have heard Nassib fires bullets short range when he should use more touch & puts too much air under the ball on long throws.
I haven't seen much of that in the games I watched.

Either I don't have trained eyes for this stuff (99.999%) or it's intentionally leaked out by teams to push his stock down (0.001%).

Remember Nix did that with Cordy Glenn? He's a guard, he said, then next thing you know every media guy says he's projected to be a guard. Lo and behold he fell to us in the 2nd and he's our starting LT.

k-oneputt
01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
That's a pretty good breakdown Miyagi.
Don't agree with all of it but we will see.