PDA

View Full Version : LaCanfora - Revis on the trade block

IlluminatusUIUC
01-23-2013, 06:31 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21604939/jets-owner-woody-johnson-to-explore-trading-darrelle-revis

The New York Jets (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/NYJ/new-york-jets), fresh off an exhaustive hunt for new general manager John Idzik, will explore options to deal star corner Darrelle Revis (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/516923/darrelle-revis) this offseason, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.Revis, whose contract voids after the 2014 season, is set to earn $6 million in 2013 (between salary and bonuses), and owner Woody Johnson has strong reservations about the ability to extend Revis's deal, the sources said. Johnson has expressed his desire to attempt to land value for Revis now, rather than risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent a year from now, most likely seeking as much draft-pick compensation for him as possible.
The Jets are very much in transition mode, they have cap issues moving forward and are trying to embark on a rebuilding processafter firing former long-time general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Revis, who missed almost all of last season after suffering a torn ACL, engaged in a long holdout in 2010 that resulted in a contract extension that was more of a Band-Aid than anything else.
Revis signed a seven-year deal then that voids to a four-year pact, thus making him an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season. The deal also precludes him being hit with the franchise tag or any other such mechanism. Johnson has made it very clear he would like to pursue a means to reap rewards for Revis now, sources said, and it is likely to be an immediate part of Idzik's initial job duties.

Well? We did hire his old coach.

coastal
01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Would we still need to draft one 8th overall?

Slim
01-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Old coach or not, there is going to be a nice market for Revis. I'm not too keen on trading huge assets within the same division though.

OpIv37
01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
No trades within the division.

See Bledsoe, Drew.

The picks we gave NE helped them win 3 SB's and dominate both us and the division ever since.

RedEyE
01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Wow. Thats a tough decision. He's worth the money but is he right for this team? I'd still like to see Byrd and Levitre retained. Let McGee walk. And sign a few FA QBs ....that's a tall order.

The D would look monstorous on paper.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
No trades within the division.

See Bledsoe, Drew.

The picks we gave NE helped them win 3 SB's and dominate both us and the division ever since.

We gave them one pick, who became Ty Warren. They already had a ring when we made it and Warren, while a great player, wasn't the difference there.

Wow. Thats a tough decision. He's worth the money but is he right for this team? I'd still like to see Byrd and Levitre retained. Let McGee walk. And sign a few FA QBs ....that's a tall order.

The D would look monstorous on paper.

If he's recovered from his injury, he's right for any team. He's a dominant force when he's on.

Well obviously we would. It's been a whole year since we used a Top 10 pick on a DB.

Skooby
01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
It's a risk but a 2nd rounder is inline for him, take the chance.

clumping platelets
01-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Give them Aaron Williams and cond 2014

ServoBillieves
01-23-2013, 07:05 PM
No.

cookie G
01-23-2013, 07:22 PM

No, we'd give up the 8th pick in the draft for him.

Then use our 2nd round pick to replace McLovin when he leaves.

BleedinGreenNC
01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
It's a risk but a 2nd rounder is inline for him, take the chance.

A 2nd round pick?? Its going to take more than that.

coastal
01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
No, we'd give up the 8th pick in the draft for him.

Then use our 2nd round pick to replace McLovin when he leaves.
Followed by Glennon in the third and the re-incarnation of Ko Simpson in the 4th!

EricStratton
01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
He's a free agent after the season and is coming of ACL surgery. I'd bet the market isn't as hot as it seems.

Scumbag College
01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm not sold on getting a CB after an ACL tear.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm not sold on getting a CB after an ACL tear.

Obviously he'd have to show he was recovered, but Peterson and Welker showed that ACL tears aren't career-killing these days.

better days
01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Obviously he'd have to show he was recovered, but Peterson and Welker showed that ACL tears aren't career-killing these days.

May not be career killing, but he may not be the same player he was, at least next season. The Jets are looking to trade him because the have to if they want to get anything at all for him. I think the ACL tear dropped his trade value.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
May not be career killing, but he may not be the same player he was, at least next season. The Jets are looking to trade him because the have to if they want to get anything at all for him. I think the ACL tear dropped his trade value.

Well it dropped his value to the point where trading for him is a viable option IMO. If he was a healthy 27 year old former DPOTY then we couldn't pry him off their roster with dynamite. That's the key thing here, he's 27 and will be 28 this year. He's not some broke dick 33 year old looking for a last payday.

Skooby
01-23-2013, 11:06 PM
He's a free agent after the season and is coming of ACL surgery. I'd bet the market isn't as hot as it seems.

Our 2nd round pick this year is like a late 1st, so it'd be food for the Jets' thoughts.

Yasgur's Farm
01-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Nope.

BleedinGreenNC
01-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Our 2nd round pick this year is like a late 1st, so it'd be food for the Jets' thoughts.

Im sure that if he is traded its not going to be in the division, let alone the AFC, im thinking the Bucs if any team.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Id give up a 2nd. we need a cb anyways... if he passes his medical tests and there is no damage, whats the harm?

EDS
01-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Id give up a 2nd. we need a cb anyways... if he passes his medical tests and there is no damage, whats the harm?

Are you nuts? Give up our 2nd round pick and miss out on giving Buddy the chance to draft the next Torell Troup or Aaron Williams!

better days
01-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Im sure that if he is traded its not going to be in the division, let alone the AFC, im thinking the Bucs if any team.

That makes sense & the Bucs need a CB having traded Talib to the Pats*. I would love to see that trade happen for a 2nd.

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2013, 08:41 AM
A high draft pick or multiple draft picks for what could be one year of service from a guy who just tore his ACL? The Jets are off their rocker. Maybe an extend-and-trade, but no way do you do that with one year left on a player who will possibly end up the highest paid at his position. :idunno:

He would burn the Bills like Stevie burned him.

better days
01-24-2013, 09:12 AM
A high draft pick or multiple draft picks for what could be one year of service from a guy who just tore his ACL? The Jets are off their rocker. Maybe an extend-and-trade, but no way do you do that with one year left on a player who will possibly end up the highest paid at his position. :idunno:

He would burn the Bills like Stevie burned him.

Yeah, I think Revis would have to agree to a new contract with the team trading for him which he may not be willing to do.

EricStratton
01-24-2013, 09:12 AM
The talk on this morning is it's the Jets giving his agent a chance to look for a trade as the first step in a contract negotiation.

Revis wants to be paid like a QB and the Jets are telling his agent to see if any team in the league would make a trade like he's a QB.

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2013, 09:17 AM
We need linebacker and QB, not a CB with a bad ACL.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-24-2013, 09:52 AM

When healthy, he's one of the 5 best players in the NFL. If he's healed, then its not a question of need, it's a question of seizing an opportunity IMO.

EDS
01-24-2013, 10:33 AM

Bills gave $100 million to Mario Williams coming off of injury . . .

trapezeus
01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
why i don't want revis.

1. not trading assets within the division
2. when he performs well, he always wants more money (which plays well in NYC, but doesn't work for bills). So we'll pay to get him, watch him perform and then lose him the following year.
3. If he isn't 100% healthy after medical tests (possible, look at Shawne Merriman), we traded for a guy who sucks and costed alot.
4. we need to have a front 7 that is worthy. not the outside perimeter. more pressure equals better coverage all around.

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
What a bunch of drama queens.

Owner wants to trade Revis.
Rex doesn't want to trade Revis.
GM fired but not the HC.
No GM wants that job.
Signed Tebow and wouldn't play him.
Rex's tattoo BS.

Is there a more dysfunctional team in this league?

Maybe they should draft Manti Teo to complete this circus.

The last buffalo fan
01-24-2013, 11:29 AM
What a bunch of drama queens.

Owner wants to trade Revis.
Rex doesn't want to trade Revis.
GM fired but not the HC.
No GM wants that job.
Signed Tebow and wouldn't play him.
Rex's tattoo BS.

Is there a more dysfunctional team in this team?

Maybe they should draft Manti Teo to complete this circus.

:spit: :10:

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Bills gave $100 million to Mario Williams coming off of injury . . .
Pectoral muscle tear for a DE is hardly the same as a ACL tear for a CB whose main game is speed.

Mouldsie
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm highly interested

YardRat
01-24-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't see them moving him to a team in their own division.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-24-2013, 11:55 PM
I could see the Broncos being interested. With the way Bailey got burned by the Ravens, Broncos could replace one shutdown corner with another.

better days
01-25-2013, 06:52 AM
I don't see them moving him to a team in their own division.

I think they would for the right price. The problem is unless Revis agrees to a new contract it is stupid to trade for him for only one year. Revis is in the drivers seat as far as a trade goes.