• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Insider: Brady's decline has begun

One of the uncomfortable truths about quarterbacks headed into their late 30s is that the cliff of performance decline can seemingly come out of nowhere in a relatively short amount of time.
    Dan Fouts led the league in yards per attempt (YPA) at age 34 then only two years later had the second lowest YPA mark of his career. He called it quits after that season.
    Dan Marino led the league in net yards per attempt when he was 35 years old. In each of the next three seasons, he failed to top the 7-yard YPA mark, a statistical feat that happened to him only once prior to 1996.
    Fran Tarkenton led the league in touchdown passes and passer rating in 1975 at the age of 35. Two years later, his numbers saw a significant decrease and that drop-off culminated in a 1978 schedule that saw Tarkenton throw 32 interceptions and rank 25th in passer rating on his way to graduating into a broadcasting career.
    These are but three of a large number of potential examples that illustrate just how unforgiving Father Time can be at that stage of a quarterback's life.
    As painful as it is to say this, after a detailed review of the 2012 New England Patriots season, it looks like Tom Brady, who will turn 36 prior to the 2013 season, will very soon serve as another example of this type of dramatic decline.
    At first glance, this might not look to be the case. After all, Brady ranked second in the league in Total QBR, fourth in passing yards and touchdown passes and was tied for first in interception percentage.
    Good as those figures are, they belie some disturbing trends. Brady's YPA (7.6) and completion percentage (63.0) were his lowest since 2006 and his touchdown percentage (5.3) was his lowest since 2009.
    He also showed a significant statistical drop down the stretch, as his December numbers in YPA (7.0), completion percentage (58.5) and touchdown to interception ratio (10-to-5) were the worst monthly totals of his 2012 season.

More:
    While Tom Brady remains one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, his advancing age and declining numbers signal an end to his ability to overcome the rest of the roster's weaknesses and, in turn, the end of the Patriots' AFC dominance.
    Last edited by Pinkerton Security; 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM.

• Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Insider: Brady's decline has begun

The sooner he's gone from New England, and Belichick is sure to leave when he does, the better.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I hope this is true but I won't believe til I see it. Despite declining stats, he still got the Pats a first-round bye and a trip to the AFC championship game. I'll take that "decline" any day.

Hopefully he'll have a steep drop this coming season but the Pats have a way of defying the norm on these kinds of things.

I cannot wait to see this guy hit the wall and retire. And I really hope he stays too long and finishes with a few horrid seasons to further tarnish his legacy.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• HAMMER
        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
        • Jul 2003

Sour grapes Op.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
          Sour grapes Op.
          I'm not denying that.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

I just don't want him to ever legitimately win a Superbowl so I can at least hold that over Patriot fans heads.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
              The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
              • Feb 2005

A declined Brady is still a lot better then any other QB. When you start as the best ever, you can slide along way before you get back to the pack.
              In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                Hopefully he'll have a steep drop this coming season but the Pats have a way of defying the norm on these kinds of things.

I cannot wait to see this guy hit the wall and retire. And I really hope he stays too long and finishes with a few horrid seasons to further tarnish his legacy.
                Additionally I hope Suh slams him to the ground so hard that shatters his pelvis next season when they play each other.

Yes, I'm that low.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Brady at 50% is still the best QB in the AFC East by a wide margin. Sadly, the Pats also have a better development prospect, Mallet, then the Bills do.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                    Additionally I hope Suh slams him to the ground so hard that shatters his pelvis next season when they play each other.

Yes, I'm that low.
                    They don't play Detroit next season.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is their schedule
                    Home Buffalo, Miami, N.Y. Jets, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Tampa Bay,
                    Denver
                    Away Buffalo, Miami, N.Y. Jets, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, Houston

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

Yeah his success the last couple of years is due largely to the ineffectiveness of the rest of the division. Absolutely no competition from the Bills, Jets, Dolphins.

Division record:

2012: 6-0
                      2011: 5-1
                      2010: 5-1
                      2009: 4-2
                      2008: 4-2
                      2007: 6-0

Need I go on...

The teams within the division need to step up and challenge these guys. We're giving them an average of 5 wins a year.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by SabreEleven View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Here is their schedule
                        Denver
                        Away Buffalo, Miami, N.Y. Jets, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, Houston
                        Oh. I thought we were playing NFC North next season.

Well then I have Pollard breaks his knee again.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Wait until he tells Gisele he wishes she had more hair on her legs..Then his private life will decline..
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

it's a sad day when you decline while cheating.

i hope he hits the wall, belichick trades him to the jets for a boat load of picks and the curse of the jets ruins each of those picks in dramatic butt fumble type ways. i want to get back to the 90's. this whole patriots thing is nonsense and irritating.

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by SabreEleven View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Here is their schedule
                              Denver
                              Like that can stop Ndamukong Suh.

Comment

Working...
                              X