PDA

View Full Version : Not knowing when to quit on a failing QB an ongoing problem for the Bills

Skooby
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I have went back over the past several years to review stats on JP Losman / Trent Edwards / Ryan Fitz (Tri-Fegals) & have been shocked to see a consistent trait, a failure to recognize failure. Our management & coaches have held on to hopes of these guys playing better, when their best play was against the worst teams. Only on a handful of occasions did our QB's have any decent level of success against a top 5 secondary defenses, it is almost like a slaughter to have even allowed these 3 to pass the ball at all. Our recent coaching has consistently had good running backs in Travis Henry, Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson & CJ Spiller yet failed to utilize them to assist our weak QB's. It's almost like we wanted to show that we could succeed in an area that we just couldn't, passing against good defenses.

I'm all for going against the grain & trying to change up game plans but allowing the Tri-Fegals to throw in any fashion against a decent defense was just madness. CJ Spiller had an amazing YPC average that was completely ignored this past season in an attempt to show the Fitz could pass, it didn't come to pass. How many yards did we leave on the field trying to press our weakest position ? Why wasn't there adjustments made to allow our strengths to be utilized ??

If a QB can't compete against anyone but the worst teams, how are they expected to succeed even if we did somehow make the playoffs ??

Mr. Miyagi
01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Good point, but duh.

Skooby
01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Good point, but duh.

I mean we literally were inept against almost every good passing defense, yet we never varied from trying to show them up. Were we trying to win the game or trying to prove a point that we can lose by being stupid ?? The best coaches don't care how they end up winning, as long as they do. We didn't care about winning or losing as long as we could try to prove our point about passing, which wasn't going to work with our QB's.

It's like walking into a fire wearing gasoline & expecting not to get burned, sure the first flames missed you but how long can you be lucky before you're cooked ?? Lot's of pride on our side of the ball here, too much pride.