PDA

View Full Version : Darrelle Revis in a Bills Uniform?

gloveus
01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Suddenly, in the media, it's like there's a frenzy over the fact that the Jets might be trading Revis. It probably has to do with the fact that he has 1 year left on his contract, is coming of an ACL tear, and seems to want a new contract every other year. According to a report on NFL.com, the Bills are one of the teams that are "highly interested."

Here's the link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130789/article/darrelle-revis-freeagency-trade-talk-heating-up

Looks like they want multiple 1st and 2nd rounders. The guy is only 27, and with a couple of new LBs, our defense could be AMAZING. The flip side to this though, it would really hurt our search for a franchise QB. And unless we got really lucky and found someone like a Russel Wilson in the 3rd round (which I think is too rare), I don't think trading away our future for Revis is worth it. We aren't the Atlanta Falcons who were only a Julio Jones away from being a top Super Bowl contender.

OpIv37
01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
No. Trades. Within. The. Division.

No exceptions.

If they are letting him go, there is a reason. Plus, you know he'll be crying about his contract here, if we can even keep him. And, the Jets will probably take those. Draft picks and use them to kick our asses for the next 10'years while we get 3 good years out of Revis.

Skooby
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Sounds like the press machine is trying to roll a story to help the Jets, sorry Charlie no dice. Revis may never be the same again & there are no assurances of his play without being able to play at the same level. That being said, if the Jets are reasonable & would accept a conditionally higher pick based on play then it's all good.

- - - Updated - - -

No exceptions.

If they are letting him go, there is a reason. Plus, you know he'll be crying about his contract here, if we can even keep him. And, the Jets will probably take those. Draft picks and use them to kick our asses for the next 10'years while we get 3 good years out of Revis.

Spot on, we'll get raped somehow on the deal.

sukie
01-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Although they do need a QB... Perhaps a straight up trade could be arranged?

trapezeus
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
i read that story earlier. why are we one of the leading teams in this? how many years in a row do we need to see that having amazing DB's do nothing unless you have the front 7 solidified? FORGET the DB position. it's like they are intent on finding the most perfect DB. Stop it.

if the bills trade anything, even a 7th rounder for revis, i don't want him. he has a year left and keeps throwing off any long term planning a team does by holding out every decent year he has.

and with the need of the bills QB situation, a 1st and second is out of hte question. neither. not even of the two slots would i trade. i want a LB and i want a qb.

i hope the bills are in this just to drive the price up or screw the jets to hold on to him after the market busts underneath him. the bills put out the biggest asking price. they hem and haw on completing deal and then withdraw and then everyone else is just not interested any longer.

ublinkwescore
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
his price may send him to FA by getting him released - qb is our number 1 priority...

trapezeus
01-25-2013, 11:51 AM
look, the jets won't release him. they'll still eat the salary cap and open a huge hole. and with or without an upset revis, it's not like the locker-room is going to be in great shape otherwise. they hvae a qb issue. they have no rb, no wr, and the team is angry.

i'm pretty sure the jets goal is to be the #1 pick next year.

a dream would be to watch the jets demand brady, belichick think he is the master mind, revis still getting burned routinely by Stevie, Brady getting crushed on every play, and mallet not succeeding. meanwhile the bills tortoise and hare approach is to just get a QB who is capable and draft a mean blitzing LB.

won't ever happen, but it would be a dream.

Mr. Miyagi
01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Multiple 1st and 2nd rounders. :rofl:

I'll give them our 3rd in 2014, maybe. Then we'd still have to hear this primadonna ***** and moan like a spoiled child everyday.

Go suck a rock Jets.

DynaPaul
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
My moneyball analystics say that he isn't worth the risk at that price. He'd have to come for a low draft pick. 3rd or 4th round or we could do a straight up swap of Fitzpatrick for Revis.

RedEyE
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
I have had some time to digest this since the first report and I think wasting picks on this guy is a solid diversion from where the Bills need to be. I vote NO.

Mr. Miyagi
01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
i hope the bills are in this just to drive the price up or screw the jets to hold on to him after the market busts underneath him. the bills put out the biggest asking price. they hem and haw on completing deal and then withdraw and then everyone else is just not interested any longer.
Nah, there are unspoken ethics involved as well. Karma is a *****. Hate to be in the other shoe one day.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Unreal. When healthy this guy is one of the Top 5 players in the league. Not defenders, players. He's not even 28 years old. And people aren't even willing to entertain the idea of a trade for him?

Think about it this way. We haven't drafted a player of Revis' caliber for years, maybe not since Thurman Thomas. While my first choice is still to trade up for Geno Smith, I would absolutely be willing to throw picks at Revis. You not only pick up an elite player, you take the 2nd best player in the division away from a rival.

Of course, you guys are also treating this like we'd have to trade for him sight unseen. If the Jets are serious about dealing him, they'd be nuts not to allow anyone the chance to medically examine him or negotiate with his agent first.

BleedinGreenNC
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Suddenly, in the media, it's like there's a frenzy over the fact that the Jets might be trading Revis. It probably has to do with the fact that he has 1 year left on his contract, is coming of an ACL tear, and seems to want a new contract every other year. According to a report on NFL.com, the Bills are one of the teams that are "highly interested."

Here's the link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130789/article/darrelle-revis-freeagency-trade-talk-heating-up

Looks like they want multiple 1st and 2nd rounders. The guy is only 27, and with a couple of new LBs, our defense could be AMAZING. The flip side to this though, it would really hurt our search for a franchise QB. And unless we got really lucky and found someone like a Russel Wilson in the 3rd round (which I think is too rare), I don't think trading away our future for Revis is worth it. We aren't the Atlanta Falcons who were only a Julio Jones away from being a top Super Bowl contender.

What makes you think that they are going to trade him in the division, count that out.

trapezeus
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Unreal. When healthy this guy is one of the Top 5 players in the league. Not defenders, players. He's not even 28 years old. And people aren't even willing to entertain the idea of a trade for him?

Think about it this way. We haven't drafted a player of Revis' caliber for years, maybe not since Thurman Thomas. While my first choice is still to trade up for Geno Smith, I would absolutely be willing to throw picks at Revis. You not only pick up an elite player, you take the 2nd best player in the division away from a rival.

Of course, you guys are also treating this like we'd have to trade for him sight unseen. If the Jets are serious about dealing him, they'd be nuts not to allow anyone the chance to medically examine him or negotiate with his agent first.

Check the bills evaluation on merriman. i don't trust the bills to gauge health accurately.

and again, the bills are a better team with more LB's and better qb play. throwing away picks on someone who could very honestly might not be here the year after is a huuuuuge gamble not worth taking. if the bills were a db away from years of playoff appearances and wanted to stifle a qb eating us alive, fine. but the bills got roasted by rookies, scrubs and talented qb's this year. one db isn't changing that.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Check the bills evaluation on merriman. i don't trust the bills to gauge health accurately.

Looking at the Bills' draft history, I don't trust them to hit on most of their picks anyway. At some point you have to trust them to do something right.

and again, the bills are a better team with more LB's and better qb play. throwing away picks on someone who could very honestly might not be here the year after is a huuuuuge gamble not worth taking.

I wouldn't trade for him without an agreement in principle for a new deal or some sort of conditional compensation from the Jets if he walks.

if the bills were a db away from years of playoff appearances and wanted to stifle a qb eating us alive, fine. but the bills got roasted by rookies, scrubs and talented qb's this year. one db isn't changing that.

He's not just one DB, he's the best DB in the game. The Jets were able to build their scheme on leaving the opponent's #1 on Revis Island and attacking, counting on him to hold up behind. And then we hired their DC.

Now, obviously all this is contingent on him being healthy, which is why I said the Jets should let us examine him first.

cookie G
01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Looking at the Bills' draft history, I don't trust them to hit on most of their picks anyway. At some point you have to trust them to do something right.

I wouldn't trade for him without an agreement in principle for a new deal or some sort of conditional compensation from the Jets if he walks.

He's not just one DB, he's the best DB in the game. The Jets were able to build their scheme on leaving the opponent's #1 on Revis Island and attacking, counting on him to hold up behind. And then we hired their DC.

Now, obviously all this is contingent on him being healthy, which is why I said the Jets should let us examine him first.

Are you willing to give him Mario money? Because that's what he'll be asking, and why the Jets would get rid of him. They have cap problems and can't afford him.

Would you trade him for Mario, assuming the Jets suck up Mario's contract? They won't, obviously, but just for teh sake of argument.

Oaf
01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm just happy that Revis won't be in the AFCE anymore. That itself is the victory IMO.

SquishDaFish
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Not going to happen

trapezeus
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
top 5 player that's a db doesn't interest me. especially if we can't have a qb to move the ball from his excellent turnovers generated. and without a pass rush and run stop with linebackers, teams will continue to run on us successfully and they'll pass to other people, namely the TE's who have been open for the last 5 years, easily.

This team needs depth...and to do that, they need their picks.

i don't trust them getting any of this right with russ still in charge and simply speaking a different tune. but that is what it is. might as well give them more picks so that they can fall ass backwards into a few good picks.

SABURZFAN
01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
somebody get on Madden and see if the Bills can fool the Jets with a 6th rounder.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Are you willing to give him Mario money? Because that's what he'll be asking, and why the Jets would get rid of him. They have cap problems and can't afford him.

The Bills have one of the best cap situations in the league right now. If he passes a physical and demonstrates his ability, then a significant contract isn't out of the question IMO.

Would you trade him for Mario, assuming the Jets suck up Mario's contract? They won't, obviously, but just for teh sake of argument.

Yes.

Night Train
01-25-2013, 08:20 PM
His serious injury and his inability to consistently cover Steve Johnson doesn't impress me at all. It's all based on past rep.

Jeff1220
01-25-2013, 08:34 PM
I know he's Darrell Revis and all, but I'd so no, unless it's for a 3 or less.

THRILLHO
01-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Did anyone else find it odd that Buffalo is the only non playoff team on the list of "interested" teams?

Bert102176
01-26-2013, 12:44 AM
The only way they would trade within the devision is if they got more in return then from a team outside the devision, won't happen would be nice to have here but it would just cause to much to get him here.

jamze132
01-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Although they do need a QB... Perhaps a straight up trade could be arranged?

Fitzpatrick and Crhis Watson, sorry I mean Ron Brooks for Revis straight up.

superbills
01-26-2013, 08:59 AM

No exceptions.

Exactly...Drew Bledsoe trade v2. You don't mortgage the future for one player, especially when there are health questions.

better days
01-26-2013, 11:05 AM
The only way they would trade within the devision is if they got more in return then from a team outside the devision, won't happen would be nice to have here but it would just cause to much to get him here.

Revis is a great player, but he held out TWICE on the Jets. He is the defensive version of Peyton Mannning. A selfish player, money means more to him than winning. I would pass on him. Oh & Jets fans think they will get a #1 & #2 for him minimum.

Mike
01-31-2013, 06:01 AM
Boys, you are crazy, as in bat-**** crazy!

Revis is one of the best DB in the NFL and arguably a top 5 DB of the past 20+ years. He is a once in a generation talent. And here, the Bills might have the chance to pry him away. Finally, if you were going to do it, pull such a trade there is no better year that 2013!

Here are the hardline facts:
1. Bills have not drafted a player as good as Revis in the last 25+ years!
2. This year is awful for finding a QB
3. The top tier talent in this draft does no compare well to last 3 drafts.
4. Bills have had an awful track record of picking players the past 12+ years! And by the way, before you start talking about a regiem change, the guy making those decisions is still in office, Nix. So why would anything change?
5. Bills need a DB
6. There is no one even close to Revis's potential in this draft.
7. The draft is a CrapShoot. About 75% of players are out of the NFL within 3years.

If the next Revis was going to be drafted 5th overall and we needed to give up the 8th pick and a 2nd rounder to move up and draft him, would you do it?

Every year there are multiple trades just like the one above and teams pull the trigger hoping that the player is half as good as Revis. Giving up a 1st & a 2nd ASSUMING that Revis is back to form is peanuts for such a star player. He was a first round pick, in essence if you drafted a CB in the first round anyways, Revis is really only costing you a second rounder.

Mike
01-31-2013, 06:06 AM
Exactly...Drew Bledsoe trade v2. You don't mortgage the future for one player, especially when there are health questions.

Really? You think Drew Bledsoe was every a top 5 player? Not even close, he was great at getting yards but no much else. Even BB said that if Bledsoe was QB the Pats would Not have won a SB. After that first SB win, the Pats had a choice on who to keep: Brady or Bledseo. The Panthers had come calling in, inquiring about Brady, willing to give up the farm and what did the Pats do? They sent him to dumb little Buffalo...

Not every trade is a Bledsoe trade. Each one is different. Would you trade for Brady? Manning? Brees? Rogers? etc.... or would they be Bledsoe-esque trades too?

- - - Updated - - -

No exceptions.

Absolutes make smart people look very silly.

TigerJ
01-31-2013, 06:41 AM
My understanding is he wants a "Mario Williams-like" contract. That means, to get him you've got to trade away any opportunity to get better through the draft for a while, and you face very long odds against being able to re-sign while he's playing out the last year of his old deal. Buffalo can't afford to have two defensive players with the same or similar deal to Mario Williams, and Revis will figure he can get that money somewhere else. He's a "me guy" and a "money guy" and even with their available cap room Buffalo is better off looking elsewhere for talent.

X-Era
01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
My understanding is he wants a "Mario Williams-like" contract. That means, to get him you've got to trade away any opportunity to get better through the draft for a while, and you face very long odds against being able to re-sign while he's playing out the last year of his old deal. Buffalo can't afford to have two defensive players with the same or similar deal to Mario Williams, and Revis will figure he can get that money somewhere else. He's a "me guy" and a "money guy" and even with their available cap room Buffalo is better off looking elsewhere for talent.I agree. I'd love to have him but Gilmore could easily become our #1 CB. So, to me, were really looking more for a #2. It could still be Aaron Williams. But, I'd rather add some insurance by adding a young vet like DRC who may only cost around 3 per.

better days
01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Boys, you are crazy, as in bat-**** crazy!

Revis is one of the best DB in the NFL and arguably a top 5 DB of the past 20+ years. He is a once in a generation talent. And here, the Bills might have the chance to pry him away. Finally, if you were going to do it, pull such a trade there is no better year that 2013!

Here are the hardline facts:
1. Bills have not drafted a player as good as Revis in the last 25+ years!
2. This year is awful for finding a QB
3. The top tier talent in this draft does no compare well to last 3 drafts.
4. Bills have had an awful track record of picking players the past 12+ years! And by the way, before you start talking about a regiem change, the guy making those decisions is still in office, Nix. So why would anything change?
5. Bills need a DB
6. There is no one even close to Revis's potential in this draft.
7. The draft is a CrapShoot. About 75% of players are out of the NFL within 3years.

If the next Revis was going to be drafted 5th overall and we needed to give up the 8th pick and a 2nd rounder to move up and draft him, would you do it?

Every year there are multiple trades just like the one above and teams pull the trigger hoping that the player is half as good as Revis. Giving up a 1st & a 2nd ASSUMING that Revis is back to form is peanuts for such a star player. He was a first round pick, in essence if you drafted a CB in the first round anyways, Revis is really only costing you a second rounder.

You are assuming Revis would agree to a new contract with the Bills. It would be really stupid to give up the #8 pick in the draft & the 8th pick in the 2nd rnd for a one year rental player that you can't use the franchise tag on the next year. Even if Revis would agree to a new contract, he would want the same kind of money the Bills paid Mario.

Thief
01-31-2013, 08:51 AM
People are wondering why we would be interested? Um... our D coordinator worked w him last year. The D we plan to implement is based on CBs that can man up so we can send the blitz and pressure the QB from all angles. And, at least one of our starting CBs completely suck.

Why wouldn't we be interested in the leagues best CB?

If he works a long term contract I would absolutely give them like 2 seconds and a third or something significant like that. Multiple first? I doubt that. We still need a QB.

Thief
01-31-2013, 08:52 AM
You are assuming Revis would agree to a new contract with the Bills. It would be really stupid to give up the #8 pick in the draft & the 8th pick in the 2nd rnd for a one year rental player that you can't use the franchise tag on the next year. Even if Revis would agree to a new contract, he would want the same kind of money the Bills paid Mario.Yes, money makes it highly unlikely, but we are in the off season on a message board, so I'm all for it!

Facts don't matter silly!

IlluminatusUIUC
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
You are assuming Revis would agree to a new contract with the Bills. It would be really stupid to give up the #8 pick in the draft & the 8th pick in the 2nd rnd for a one year rental player that you can't use the franchise tag on the next year. Even if Revis would agree to a new contract, he would want the same kind of money the Bills paid Mario.

I don't think anyone is going to throw even a first rounder at Revis unless they can pre-negotiate a deal. So let that one go.

trapezeus
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
didn't TLC have a song called, "don't go chasing Corner backs?" i wish that song would be played on repeat at 1BD.

fluteflakes
01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Stupid suggestion by ESPN just like always. First, if we traded for any DB from the Jets, it'd be the slightly older, but healthier, and at this point still top 5 corner in Cromartie. But we won't because the Jets ARE OUR DIVISION RIVALS. And if we made this deal we'd be butt raped by the remaining contract Revis has left, and his new deal, and the fact that it'd take first round picks away from a team that needs a lot more than just another #1 corner to be good.

As inept as Ralph and Brandon are, Woody Johnson is even more so. So he's probably going to an NFC team just in case ole Woody' is afraid of his next "Sanchize" tossing picks left and right to him.

don137
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
This is my opinion and not fact is I feel Revis as good as he is could be a cancer. He seems like a me and not team player. Seems more concerned for his own success over the teams success. His holding out twice is only proof of how selfish he is.

gr8slayer
01-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Not just no, but hell no.

Mike
02-01-2013, 01:03 AM

Usually, these sort of deals are sign and trade. Revis would go through a physical, be taken to specialists, etc... and upon passing these test negotiations would open up. Once a deal is in place, it would be a sign and trade. There is no value in trading for a player for one year.

As for the Jets, if they are going to lose him in FA anyway, and there are not many trading partners, then a decision will have to be made on their end. What is one year of Revis's play worth on our team? For the Jets that might be a 1st or 2nd rounder, meaning that they might trade him for a minimum of a 2nd rounder now than lose him in a year anyway....

better days
02-01-2013, 03:22 AM
Usually, these sort of deals are sign and trade. Revis would go through a physical, be taken to specialists, etc... and upon passing these test negotiations would open up. Once a deal is in place, it would be a sign and trade. There is no value in trading for a player for one year.

As for the Jets, if they are going to lose him in FA anyway, and there are not many trading partners, then a decision will have to be made on their end. What is one year of Revis's play worth on our team? For the Jets that might be a 1st or 2nd rounder, meaning that they might trade him for a minimum of a 2nd rounder now than lose him in a year anyway....

They do sign & trade in the NBA, not the NFL. Teams in the NFL looking to trade for a player give their own physical & negotiate the contract with that players agent, not the team trading him. If the Jets would be willing to settle for a 2nd round pick, I doubt it would be from a team in their own division.

lmcshadow
02-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Just say no to drugs OK!