PDA

View Full Version : Article: EJ Manuel

RedEyE
01-26-2013, 10:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/senior-bowl-report-e-j-manuel-sets-himself-141055456--nfl.html

I'm pretty high on this kid as I've made it known in several posts. I like his chances in the NFL and I really think he could be a good fit for the Bills offense. He's run the no-huddle about 70% of the time last season and nearly went to play for Chip Kelly in Oregon but decided against it. There is a possibility the Eagles may look to draft him.

I know some on here are not as high as I am on him.

Anyway, I'll be watching all of the QBs closely today. I'm curious and eager to read everyone's comments about all the players performances after the bowl today.

SABURZFAN
01-26-2013, 10:42 AM
how big are his hands?

RedEyE
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
lol

**** if I know.

YardRat
01-26-2013, 12:33 PM
how big are his hands?

10 1/8"

It does matter.

YardRat
01-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I'd be OK with a pick of Manuel...he Nassib and Glennon are the only three I'm interested in for the early rounds TBH, and they all have flaws/room for improvement.

TigerJ
01-26-2013, 02:19 PM
I've been intrigued by Manuel, then put off a bit by opinions that have been expressed about his decision making. He's still on my radar, and I hope on the Bills' radar along with some other prospects. It's a nice article in any case, and doesn't hurt my opinion of him at all.

braddavery
01-26-2013, 03:56 PM
I like the kid. Great arm, great mobility, good pocket presence. I feel he has a lot of upside.

Albany,n.y.
01-26-2013, 04:22 PM
So far, he's been the only QB to put any points on the board at the Senior Bowl, still doesn't make him worthy of our 1st round pick.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
maybe a solid 2nd rd pick? sign matt moore now!

braddavery
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Trade for Alex Smith and start him in 2013, draft Manuel in the second, see if Manuel beats out Smith for the starting job in his second season like Kaepernick did. lol

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Trade for Alex Smith and start him in 2013, draft Manuel in the second, see if Manuel beats out Smith for the starting job in his second season like Kaepernick did. lol

we arent giving up major picks for alex smith... ie, we are not getting him

Night Train
01-26-2013, 06:08 PM
He was the best QB by a mile today. Looks like a 3rd rounder.

Bert102176
01-26-2013, 06:25 PM
He was the only one that impressed me at the senior bowl

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2013, 06:27 PM
sad to say it, but if this is what is out there, we are keeping fitz another year. flynn, moore, are not better...
and no qb is ready right now...

fitz, and ej manuel rd 2... build the d

- - - Updated - - -

the only qb we take rd 1 is smith or barkley... thats it...

either way we keep fitz as the stop gap

RedEyE
01-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Happy for Manuel as he raised his ranking today. But man what a pathetic showing for most of the QBs. Could have been nerves but Landry Jones looked just plain aweful.

I'm not opposed to the Bills trading down in the first round this year if it means they can pick up an additional 1st next season. The level of talent will be more stout in 2014. I'm just not impressed enough with the players available early round 1 in relation to what Buffalo needs.

RedEyE
01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
He was the best QB by a mile today. Looks like a 3rd rounder.
Isn't that sad?

YardRat
01-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Glennon showed a few flashes today, but that's about it.

Smith is probably grinning his ass off, and feeling pretty justified in skipping this game.

There isn't a QB on the board worth grabbing at 8...take the BPA defensive player/olineman and see who drops into the second round after some suckers take the bigger risk in the first.

TigerJ
01-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I don't get the NFL network, but I am not put off that much by a terrible performance in the Senior Bowl by a QB. They have one week to learn an offense and get used to their receivers, on top of which they are dealling with nerves. A great performance in the Senior Bowl can raise a QBs draft stock, but a poor one doesn't hurt it that much.

Bert102176
01-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Why all the love for Alex Smith he is mediocre at best why else do you think he couldn't keep his starting job screw him we have enough mediocre players on this team I would rather resign T-Jax

RedEyE
01-26-2013, 07:00 PM
I understand and respect the BPA mentality but what if that equates to forcing a choice on the DE or RB position? Trades are difficult to make happen so sometimes this happens or if filling on the position need philosophy a team reaches.

Draft day is always loaded with surprises so you never know. But looking forward into this one you have to wonder if this might end up being the upcoming scenerio.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2013, 07:37 PM
i think trading back 5-10 spots and taking tyler eifert would be awesome!

if they stay put, warmack or lotulelei, whoever is still there...

YardRat
01-26-2013, 08:03 PM
I understand and respect the BPA mentality but what if that equates to forcing a choice on the DE or RB position? Trades are difficult to make happen so sometimes this happens or if filling on the position need philosophy a team reaches.

Draft day is always loaded with surprises so you never know. But looking forward into this one you have to wonder if this might end up being the upcoming scenerio.

We could use another DE...I wouldn't mind using #8 on one actually.

JoeMama
01-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Following the Senior Bowl was god damned depressing. This is a weak QB crop to be sure.

The last two years I was all about guys like Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, etc etc. So much value at the position in various rounds.

It frustrates me to no end we didn't pull the trigger on one of them.

Classic Bills curse that the year we resolve to get a QB the entire class is a total dumpster fire.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
just watched the ej manuel tape vs clemson... holy **** that qb is good... he like a bigger kaepernick.

i honestly wouldnt be suprised if buffalo took him at 8...

better days
01-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I thought Manual played the best game today without question. Reminds me of Daunte Culpepper. Glennon & Wilson looked good at times. Nassib was just God awful. If the Bills draft Nassib, it better not be before the 6th rnd.

kishoph
01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
It's funny how people talk about how good last years crop of QB's was so good and include Russell Wilson now that he has been successful, but then had him rated anywhere from a 3rd to 6th round pick. As far as us fans and the "experts" go, it's a crap shoot, unless you have a lot of inside knowledge or there's a Luck or RGIII, which come along every 6-10 years. I have preferences, but who ever they choose I'll be happy with (I think they know more than me) as long as they don't try to sell us on Fitzpatrick for another year.

better days
01-27-2013, 11:41 AM
It's funny how people talk about how good last years crop of QB's was so good and include Russell Wilson now that he has been successful, but then had him rated anywhere from a 3rd to 6th round pick. As far as us fans and the "experts" go, it's a crap shoot, unless you have a lot of inside knowledge or there's a Luck or RGIII, which come along every 6-10 years. I have preferences, but who ever they choose I'll be happy with (I think they know more than me) as long as they don't try to sell us on Fitzpatrick for another year.

Agreed, but I think is is also a crapshoot for the GMs picking a QB.

braddavery
01-27-2013, 12:22 PM

You say "they know more then me", but this is the team that passed on many good to great QBs in drafts past. So do they really know more than you, or us? Terrible QB play for 8+ years and you still think this team knows more than us fans? When Joe-blo Monday morning QB guy can do a better job at drafting than our organization, it's time to rethink that "they know more than me".

NOT THE DUDE...
01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
You say "they know more then me", but this is the team that passed on many good to great QBs in drafts past. So do they really know more than you, or us? Terrible QB play for 8+ years and you still think this team knows more than us fans? When Joe-blo Monday morning QB guy can do a better job at drafting than our organization, it's time to rethink that "they know more than me".

i feel comfortable that barkley or manuel will be there at 8, if they pass and miss again on taking a qb, im done...

how long before we realize you need to take a qb every year until you have one... ugh

- - - Updated - - -

the kaepernick/wilson miss was omg

not trading up for rg3 was bad too

braddavery
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
I would definitely trade T.J. Graham for Russell Wilson.

PTI
01-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Get on the phone with San Diego, just at least get a glimpse of what it might take for Rivers.

streetkings01
01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
just watched the ej manuel tape vs clemson... holy **** that qb is good... he like a bigger kaepernick.

i honestly wouldnt be suprised if buffalo took him at 8...I'm a FSU fan.......go back and watch the NC State & Florida game. He cost us the UF game with his turnovers and bad desicion making........EJ is just too freaking inconsisten. I will say one thing tho.........Jimbo for whatever reason never trusted EJ and would constently grill him when he came to the sidelines after every possesion.........that could be one reason why EJ was so inconsistent.

Bill Cody
01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
He reminds me of Jason Campbell, doesn't look downfield much, decision making is not too fast, long delivery. On the plus side he has good size, pretty mobile, seems to be reasonably accurate. Bottom line: no way I spend the 8th pick on this guy or even a 1st rounder.

Ingtar33
01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
--Manuel has long been one of the few guys i liked in this draft. but even i wouldn't take him in round one.

better days
01-29-2013, 11:12 AM
--Manuel has long been one of the few guys i liked in this draft. but even i wouldn't take him in round one.

With so many people saying no QB should be drafted in the first rnd, it will be interesting to see how many are on draft day.

lmcshadow
01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Same was said about qb last year and the year before..Just shoot the dice never know what might happen..We might hit that 7 or 11

Ingtar33
01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
With so many people saying no QB should be drafted in the first rnd, it will be interesting to see how many are on draft day.

since at least 5 teams need one in the top 10 of the draft i guarantee at least 3 will be gone by pick 10.

This year really reminds me of the 2002 draft. when Carr and Harrington were the big QBs in the draft. I remember being quite certain that neither should go in round one. both went in the top 3, because they were the best of a TERRIBLE class.

better days
01-29-2013, 12:04 PM
since at least 5 teams need one in the top 10 of the draft i guarantee at least 3 will be gone by pick 10.

This year really reminds me of the 2002 draft. when Carr and Harrington were the big QBs in the draft. I remember being quite certain that neither should go in round one. both went in the top 3, because they were the best of a TERRIBLE class.

I think both Carr & Harrington could have done much better had they been drafted by different teams.

trapezeus
01-29-2013, 12:23 PM

but wilson's game was solid. people liked him. the only issue for the drop in rounds was his size. and admittedly that was a risk at the time, but he was just a winner and had a lot of high marks. if he was above 6'2 or above, he would have easily been in the luck, rgiii discussions.

That's my opinion.

better days
01-29-2013, 02:11 PM
but wilson's game was solid. people liked him. the only issue for the drop in rounds was his size. and admittedly that was a risk at the time, but he was just a winner and had a lot of high marks. if he was above 6'2 or above, he would have easily been in the luck, rgiii discussions.

That's my opinion.

I was one of the few people that liked him & wanted the Bills to draft him. I remember people telling me he should not be drafted before the 6th rnd.

Mike
01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
10 1/8"

It does matter.

I think it matters a lot. My hands are average for my hight -6'2- and I know I would have a problem throwing the ball like a Manning or Brady.

Ingtar33
01-29-2013, 11:23 PM
I think both Carr & Harrington could have done much better had they been drafted by different teams.

and that helps us how exactly? Cause right now, I'd take the expansion 2002 Texan's roster or even the 2002 version of the Lions over us right now. or at least they'd be about on par with us. So if those two weren't good enough to succeed in spite of their team, and this year is a similar year to that one, that means by inference no one this year is either. which then means we're SOL this year in the draft.

what makes this a good environment for a mediocre QB to develop? when is the last time we developed a QB into anything?

RedEyE
01-31-2013, 07:07 AM
John Murphy's report on Manuel: http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-Focus-EJ-Manuel-Shows-Mobility-in-Alabama/ccfeb5d7-5aa6-4d95-9ffb-c12fa0e05283?campaign=BillsBuzz

better days
01-31-2013, 07:22 AM
and that helps us how exactly? Cause right now, I'd take the expansion 2002 Texan's roster or even the 2002 version of the Lions over us right now. or at least they'd be about on par with us. So if those two weren't good enough to succeed in spite of their team, and this year is a similar year to that one, that means by inference no one this year is either. which then means we're SOL this year in the draft.

what makes this a good environment for a mediocre QB to develop? when is the last time we developed a QB into anything?

If you would take the Texans or Lions 2002 roster over the Bills 2013 roster, you don't know what a talented football player is. Tony Boselli was the best OL on that Texans roster & he had been a great player on the Jags, but he was an injured shell of his former self when the Texans picked him in the expansion draft.

Most people agree there is a lot of talent on the Bills roster now & there will be even more before the next season starts.

Ingtar33
01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
my basic point is going by record, we're a vastly over-rated team.

We've got too good an o-line to be a 6 win football team, we've got too good a RB to be a 6 win football team, we've got enough talent on the DL and in the secondary to be better then a 6 win football team. yet I'm forced to look at Parcell's famous comments... "you are what your record is". We are a freaking 6 win football team. Which means we're vastly overestimating what we've got.

Its about time we face the facts. we're not good. not good at all. we haven't won 8 games since Mike Mularkey was our coach... think about that one... the last time we've had a winning record was when Mike Mularkey was our coach. 9 years ago.

so nothing about this situation screams "good place to develop a underwhelming QB class" now does it? Now there is a new regime coming in, and likely a new QB... so that's all good. But don't go around saying things like David Carr and Joey Harrington would have been good QBs in a different situation, so though their year sucked for QBs and this year sucks for QBs we'll be a great destination for a QB from an underwhelming class. That just doesn't make any rational sense at all.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. We should be drafting multiple QBs every single draft from this point on until we have our franchise guy. High in the draft every year. If we don't get him this year, we should try again next year. There should be no reason we stop drafting QBs till we've found our guy. Just don't get too up and think it will be 2013... cause with the exception of 2 or 3 guys in this draft no one looks like more then a career backup. and i'm not even sure about those 2 or 3 guys...

RedEyE
04-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Since we're digging up old posts. ..Not looking for a cookie or anything here. Interesting to see early opinions before and after the Senior Bowl.

SquishDaFish
04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
sad to say it, but if this is what is out there, we are keeping fitz another year. flynn, moore, are not better...
and no qb is ready right now...

fitz, and ej manuel rd 2... build the d

- - - Updated - - -

the only qb we take rd 1 is smith or barkley... thats it...

either way we keep fitz as the stop gap

Wow another time you were wrong lol

Ingtar33
05-01-2013, 12:53 AM

i'm still stunned none of these guys this year went in the top 10.

year after year, underwhelming qb class after underwhelming qb class, and teams constantly overdraft mediocre/terrible prospects. This year was different... it was almost like sanity broke out in front offices across the league and this mediocre mess at QB this year was drafted largely how it should have been.

Very strange, you don't see this often.

I think the last time I saw anything like this was when Chad Pennington was the only QB to go in round 1 (pick 18). The funny thing is, I liked Pennington more as a potential pro prospect that year then anyone in this draft.

RedEyE
05-01-2013, 06:28 AM
i'm still stunned none of these guys this year went in the top 10.

year after year, underwhelming qb class after underwhelming qb class, and teams constantly overdraft mediocre/terrible prospects. This year was different... it was almost like sanity broke out in front offices across the league and this mediocre mess at QB this year was drafted largely how it should have been.

Very strange, you don't see this often.

I think the last time I saw anything like this was when Chad Pennington was the only QB to go in round 1 (pick 18). The funny thing is, I liked Pennington more as a potential pro prospect that year then anyone in this draft.

I think it shows how not enamored the teams needing a QB were with this QB class. The available vets were all picked up by QB needy teams before the draft lowering the QB draft class even more.

Two atta boys for the Bills though.

1. I still believe that Manuel was a reach at 16 overall. But I can't hate on the pick-up.
* I think he was the best QB to fit their system and possibly the most athletic of the group.
* You have to love the trade down by the Bills to increase picks. It adds excusable value to them pulling him in the 1st round.

2. I really believe that the Eagles were going to snag Manuel in the 2nd. This could have caused an ugly chain of events in the Bills draft thereafter as I'm willing to bet they would have pulled the trigger on Nassib in the 2nd.
* The Vick signing was to add veteran coverage until Manuel got up to speed in the Eagles offense.