Interesting post at Buffalo Rumblings. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Interesting post at Buffalo Rumblings. . .

on the hiring of Buffalo's defensive assistants. I know that I've been among those who lamented that paucity of NFL experience among Buffalo's position coaches, but rightly or wrongly, there appears to be some meaning in the madness. Mike Pettine believes the trend toward more spread and read option offenses is going to grow. He wants the Bills to be in a better positionto defend against them, so one of the reasons for the hiring of Chuck Driesbach and Donnie Henderson are their familiarity with defending against those kinds of offenses. Quite honestly, since the trend in the NFL is fairly new, there are not a lot of available NFL assistant coaches who have a lot of experience defending against the spread and the read option. I don't know if they are good hires, but at least it makes a little more sense now.

Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine wants to stop the read-option offense - and he'll be leaning on two veteran defensive assistants to do so.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2010

Re: Interesting post at Buffalo Rumblings. . .

want to stop the read option?

tell the ref before the game that if the qb runs the read option, my front 7 cannot tell who has the ball, and he will get hit like a rb...

see, done

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

Once the QB is out of the pocket running with the ball he can be hit like a running back, unless he slides. . .

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

im talking about when he fakes it...

Comment

• Buddo
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
          on the hiring of Buffalo's defensive assistants. I know that I've been among those who lamented that paucity of NFL experience among Buffalo's position coaches, but rightly or wrongly, there appears to be some meaning in the madness. Mike Pettine believes the trend toward more spread and read option offenses is going to grow. He wants the Bills to be in a better positionto defend against them, so one of the reasons for the hiring of Chuck Driesbach and Donnie Henderson are their familiarity with defending against those kinds of offenses. Quite honestly, since the trend in the NFL is fairly new, there are not a lot of available NFL assistant coaches who have a lot of experience defending against the spread and the read option. I don't know if they are good hires, but at least it makes a little more sense now.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013...ing-staff-2013
          They probably knocked up the article after watching Pettine's interview from bb.com
          Having said that, the one thing that comes across from the various interviews, including those of our new HC, is that there's a definite 'vision' of how they want to play, and the coaching staffs have been assembled very much with that in mind.
          I wouldn't say that all of the coaches will actually stick, over time, but the general impression I've got so far, is that the staffs on either side of the football, have been assembled as they are already aware of the type of game desired to be played, and that familiarity, will help get evaluations and system installations, done a lot easier, and quicker.
          Instead of 'names', they've gone for guys who they know understand what they want to do.
          I will say, that what I've seen of Pettine so far, has me colored impressed. The guy knows what he wants to do, and knows what he wants to achieve that, including his choice of assistants. For all the talk of youthful coaches, these guys also seem to have one eye on how the game is moving, in terms of developments, and the hiring of the college guys, is a reflection f needing to gain the knowledge to deal with things as they arise going forward.

I can't say that they have all of the right guys, but I do like that they appear to be trying to keep , at least, in step, if not ahead, of the game, and it's current trends. This is a criticism that have been levied frequently at recent former HCs, and it's something that would appear to have been addressed with this staff.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER View Post
            im talking about when he fakes it...
            If you hit a QB that does not have the ball, you will get a penalty.

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
              Most of the time, even if the QB does have the ball and you hit him, you get a penalty.

I've noticed a trend where non-RB ballcarriers lower their heads going into a collision. The natural, almost involuntary, reaction for a defender is to lower their head. The bllacarriers are never penalized, but the defenders are almost always penalized in helmet to helmet collisions, despite the fact that i'ts almost impossible for a defensive player to get his head out of the way.

This game is getting ridiculous. It's time to come clean, publicly air the dangers and make players sign waivers that say, in effect, "This is what you signed up for. These are the risks, these are the rewards, take it or leave it."

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Buddo View Post
                They probably knocked up the article after watching Pettine's interview from bb.com
                That's a given. Buffalo Rumblings is a fan site just like Billszone. They don't hire reporters who go out and find interviews, ask questions and dig up facts. Galiford looks at what is out there, maybe extrapolates a bit and expresses opinions on it. I hadn't seen the Pettine statements elsewhere befores,s but I'm sure they were available and Galifor just lifted them from the source. Regardless, it's somewhat reassuring that there is something of an expanation for at least some of the hirings that make some sense.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by better days View Post
                  not if its a read option. thats not intellectually honest... there is no way the defender can be sure...

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

you want to stop the read-option?

make sure your end plays the outside "option" and forces everything back inside. Its amazing how few DEs will do this in the NFL, and seem to freeze like they've never played an option play before. Though considering how rare the wishbone offense has become even in college football, its doubtful they have.

Force it inside, and let the inside pursuit finish it off. that's how it's supposed to be defended. There is no trick or special coaching needed really. Every DC in the NFL... scratch that... football knows this, it's just a matter of getting the DEs in the league used to playing against it; either in practice or games.
                    Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post

make sure your end plays the outside "option" and forces everything back inside. Its amazing how few DEs will do this in the NFL, and seem to freeze like they've never played an option play before. Though considering how rare the wishbone offense has become even in college football, its doubtful they have.

Force it inside, and let the inside pursuit finish it off. that's how it's supposed to be defended. There is no trick or special coaching needed really. Every DC in the NFL... scratch that... football knows this, it's just a matter of getting the DEs in the league used to playing against it; either in practice or games.
                      No you have it all wrong. The Bills organization is just smarter than everyone else!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

In 2012 Pettine's Jets ran out of 25 different defensive formations. Some with a lot more frequency then others, but I'm working on that for BBD later this week.

Pettine's comments in reference to versatility and multiple DB sets are far more intriguing. Look for some 1-3-7 looks from our D.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                          • Sep 2009

I understand what you're saying, but the NYT did a piece on Ault recently and he specifically mentioned wanting a D to force everything inside, because he'd much rather have the back run than the QB, seemed like he wanted them to play the keep instead of the give. Stressed the threat of the keep more than anything. Always a give and take, that's football.

Comment

• Cali512
                            • Jan 2012

During the Seattle game Mario was flipping out because he was doing his job. The DE is supposed to get the inside guy, and the LB cover the outside. On the inside read option, Mario would collapse inside and stop Lynch, but Sheppard and Barnett would shift that way too, and leave the field wide open.
                            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

this means we keep Kelsay
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X