• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Forget QB In Round 1 - Move On

Geno Smith will probably be picked (overdrafted) #1 by KC. The rest aren't ready to play, as yesterday showed. Matt Barkley is too small and injury prone, IMO.

Sign 2 of these 3. Drew Stanton, Chase Daniel and Tavarus Jackson. Draft another later on the weekend. Maybe Manuel in Round 3.

Now concentrate on needs like 2 LB's, CB, WR & TE...where actual top shelf talent is available.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Forget QB In Round 1 - Move On

I'd be OK with grabbing one in the second...no way in hell at #8, though.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Manuel, Glennon, Wilson & probably one or two more will be drafted before the 3rd rnd. All three of them will likely be drafted in the 1st at some point. There are just too many QB needy teams. But for you Nassib lovers, he should be available in the 3rd. But if the Bills don't draft him there, he should be available in the 5th as well.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
        Geno Smith will probably be picked (overdrafted) #1 by KC. The rest aren't ready to play, as yesterday showed. Matt Barkley is too small and injury prone, IMO.

Sign 2 of these 3. Drew Stanton, Chase Daniel and Tavarus Jackson. Draft another later on the weekend. Maybe Manuel in Round 3.

Now concentrate on needs like 2 LB's, CB, WR & TE...where actual top shelf talent is available.

manuel is going rd 2, possibly 1... his incredible raw talent will get him drafted higher

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          I'd be OK with grabbing one in the second...no way in hell at #8, though.
          but who?

there is a very real possibility that barkley and geno will be gone before 8, and that glennon, wilson, and manuel will be gone before we pick in the 2nd..

im sorry, BUT THERE IS NO WAY NIX TALKED THIS MUCH ABOUT GETTING SOME TYPE OF QB, AND THEN COME AWAY WITH NOBODY IN THE DRAFT... aint happin

get over it. we are taking the best qb in rd 1

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER View Post
            but who?

there is a very real possibility that barkley and geno will be gone before 8, and that glennon, wilson, and manuel will be gone before we pick in the 2nd..

im sorry, BUT THERE IS NO WAY NIX TALKED THIS MUCH ABOUT GETTING SOME TYPE OF QB, AND THEN COME AWAY WITH NOBODY IN THE DRAFT... aint happin

Whoever falls to the top of the second...have to wait and see how the first round goes.

I want nothing to do with Geno or Barkley. Glennon, Wilson, Manuel, Nassib, Wilson and Jones certainly aren't worth the risk at #8 when there are going to be far better players/less risk available.

Give me a defender or o-lineman at #8, call it a day after Round 1, re-evaluate and make a move for a QB on Day 2 out of whoever is left on the board, whether that means moving up a couple of spots or standing pat and pulling the trigger with our own pick. None of these guys have enough to bypass a real player high in the first to take that kind of a chance that the one we get pans out.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2010

Whoever falls to the top of the second...have to wait and see how the first round goes.

I want nothing to do with Geno or Barkley. Glennon, Wilson, Manuel, Nassib, Wilson and Jones certainly aren't worth the risk at #8 when there are going to be far better players/less risk available.

Give me a defender or o-lineman at #8, call it a day after Round 1, re-evaluate and make a move for a QB on Day 2 out of whoever is left on the board, whether that means moving up a couple of spots or standing pat and pulling the trigger with our own pick. None of these guys have enough to bypass a real player high in the first to take that kind of a chance that the one we get pans out.
              nix doesnt trade picks, hes sees to much value there...

lets say nix really like manuel... and his stock is rd 2 value come april. like ponder for example.

1- the risk is to great to wait
              2- taking an even lesser qb in rd 2, is actually worse. you are passing on even a stronger scale of talent because qb talent drops in a major way..
              3- who the hell will play qb?

geno and barkley are solid top 20 qb prospects. i personally think manuel has major upside, and is very courageous in the pocket( he always looks downfield, not afraid of the rush)... thats huge in evaluation.

he has the most talent imo... i just cant see nix looking at manuel, and then saying no...

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

nix doesnt trade picks
                Sure he does, most notably last year when he gave one up to jump a punter and grab Graham.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

I doubt Manual, Glennon or Wilson will be there in the 2nd when the Bills pick. I would rather see them trade down from #8 & get an extra pick than to trade back up into the first & give up picks.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                    I doubt Manual, Glennon or Wilson will be there in the 2nd when the Bills pick. I would rather see them trade down from #8 & get an extra pick than to trade back up into the first & give up picks.
                    Me too, but I would be stunned if Nix traded back.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

Let's all just agree that we'll all hate whoever we take at 8 ok?
                      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

Sure he does, most notably last year when he gave one up to jump a punter and grab Graham.
                        a 7th? lol

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

but who?

Well, two years ago waiting till the second round worked very well for Cinncinati and San Fran, particularly after the run on QBs in round 1.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Adding a versatile defender like Ezekial Ansah or even Barkevious Mingo could be an option in Round 1 for the new multi-look Pettine D.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Buddo
                              • Mar 2007

I think you are looking at a 2010 type of QB draft class, tbh. A couple of first rounders, then after that it goes through the rounds. Overall, there are probably more guys who are 2nd/3rd round types than in 2010, but it seems to me that it's a weak class at the top end, with likely only Barkley and Smith being 1st rounders.
                              The assumption that teams who need a QB will reach for one, is just that, an assumption. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple go in the first round, a couple in the second, and then they just get picked up on their respective values.
                              These days, 1st round QBs are expected to be able to start. Can't do that, then the need/value ratio changes, and they then don't necessarily get picked as soon as they might be.
                              I think you could easily compare last years draft for the Bills, to how things might work out this year. Nix will take his highest rated guy off the board @ #8, if it's Barkley or Smith, who are available, then fair enough, but if not either of those, assuming both have gone, then I'm confident that we will grab the best player we see. QB will be probably the pick in the 2nd or 3rd round then, somewhat as we did with Gilmore and Glenn last year. We needed a LT, but didn't get panicked into taking one early. I feel the same deal will happen with the QB position this year, and if both of the top 2 guys are gone, then we will wait and get one in rounds 2 to 3, where their true value lies.
                              My gut impression atm, is that once you have evaluated the top two, whoever that may be, then there's a fairly large drop-off, and you have a bunch of guys who it will be hard to distinguish between.

Comment

Working...
                              X