PDA

View Full Version : X's Fearless Offseason Moves V1.1

X-Era
01-27-2013, 08:03 AM
The Bills are at 20.6 in cap space with the carry over.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...t-cap-strategy (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy)

Using this as a guide we could save the following by making some cuts (in Mill): http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2013.php
Kelsay- 4.175- Not worth it with the emergence of Kyle Moore
Fitz- 4.5- Has to go
Barnett- 3.5- Keep or cut. I say keep
Smith- 2.75- Pointless for what we get from him
McGee- 2.1- Injured all the time and over the hill. Needs to be replaced with youth

I would cut Kelsay, Fitz, Smith and McGee. That adds back another 13.525 mill. That puts us at 34.125 mill under the cap.

Our free agents look like this:
Exclusive Rights Free Agent
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=506753 (http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=506753)
Mike Caussin- Tender- .5- two accrued seasons
Dorin Dickerson- Tender- .5- two accrued season
Total: 1 mill

Restricted Free Agent
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...nts-announced/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/2013-nfl-restricted-free-agent-tender-amounts-announced/)
Colin Brown- Let go
Donald Jones- Let go. Injury prone and has done nothing of note
David Nelson- Tender at right of first refusal level- 1.3
Total 1.3 mill Unrestricted Free Agent

Re-sign:
Jarius Byrd- Franchise Tag- 6.8 mill
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...ls-roster-2013 (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-roster/2013/1/25/3914758/jairus-byrd-contract-buffalo-bills-roster-2013)
Ruvell Martin- Re-sign cheap- Vet min (around .5)
Corey McIntyre- Re-sign cheap- Vet min
Leodis McKelvin- Re-sign mid level- 2-3 per. Worth it as our returner and CB depth
Kyle Moore- Re-sign cheap- 1-1.5
Chad Rhineheart- Re-sign cheap- 1-1.5
Bryan Scott- Re-sign cheap- Vet min
Total: 12.3-14.3

Let walk:
Andy Levitre- Let walk at 7-8 mill per
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...re-jairus-byrd (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1222090-2013-nfl-free-agency-buffalo-bills-should-sign-andy-levitre-before-jairus-byrd)
Tashard Choice- Let walk
Travaris Jackson- Let walk
Spencer Johnson- Let walk
Shawne Merriman- Let walk
Tyler Thigpen- Let walk

I know everyone wants to keep Levitre. I love the guy too. But this team needs a new starting QB from FA and really also could use either another big time WR or a serious upgrade at LB. It's possible to draft a G who could play fairly solid day one. It would be a loss for sure but the choice is an all-pro G or another a starting QB and a solid LB. The teams has bigger needs. With these moves we eat up 14.6-16.6 of our 34.125. That leaves us at 19.525-17.25

In Free Agency:
Alex Smith -Trade for or sign- 6-7 per- Probably can be had on a 4 year deal in this range http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-franc...rs/alex-smith/ (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/alex-smith/)
Johnathan Vilma- Sign if cut- 4.5 per- Rumored to be on the chopping block since the Saints are in cap hell
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orlea...onathan-vilma/ (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/jonathan-vilma/)
DRC- sign- 3 per- Young vet with talent
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp...ers-cromartie/ (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie/)

That eats up another 13.5 out of the 19.525-17.25 and leaves us with around 6.025. That makes signing the draft picks tight. Last year Gilmore got about 3 mill per. It probably takes 7-8 to get them all signed. Look for a few of the deals done to have a lower cap hit in year one. Alex Smith deal probably has a bonus that lets us get out of it after the first year plus a lower cap hit in year one. Also some cuts like Caussins, Moats, Chris White give us maybe 1 mill back.

Draft:
1) Cordarelle Patterson- WR- Tenn- Big, fast, dynamic WR that Nix covets
2) Ryan Nassib- QB- Syr- The QB for the future
3) Justin Pugh- OG- Syr- Like Levitre is a short armed LT who moves inside to LG
4) Khaseem Greene- OLB- Rut- Rangy OLB. Helps cover the slot and TE's
5) Zavier Gooden- OLB- Mizzou- Rangy OLB. Helps cover the slot and TE's
6) Brandon McGee- CB- Miami

An alternate draft moving down from 8:
1-#20) Tyler Wilson
2-1) Robert Woods- WR- USC
2-2) Brian Winters- OG- Kent State
3-1) Tavarres King- WR- Georgia
3-2) Jordan Poyer- CB- Ore St
4) Khaseem Greene
5) Zavier Gooden
6) Brandon McGee

This version gives us lots of picks an options on draft day. We get the QB and flexibility to add a playmaking WR like Woods plus a burner in King. Winters is a day one starter at LG and the type of mauler that Bills fans will love. Poyer is a nice looking CB prospect and we still get the rangy OLB's.

An alternate draft moving back up to the 1st for the QB:
1-#8) Cordarelle Patterson
1-#20) Tyler Wilson
4) Khaseem Greene
5) Zavier Gooden
6) Brandon McGee

This version gives us the stud WR prospect, the QB and still allows for some rangy LB'ers but leaves us with no starting LG. Could Urbik do it and then start Rhineheart at RG? Eesh. Not a huge fan of that.

Depth Chart:
QB- Alex Smith, Ryan Nassib, Alex Carder (UFA)
WR- Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Ruvell Martin
WR- Cordarelle Patterson, David Nelson, Marcus Easley
RB- CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Zach Brown
FB- Corey McIntyre, Dorin Dickerson
TE- Scott Chandler, Lee Smith
LT- Cordy Glenn, Zebrie Sanders
LG- Justin Pugh, Keith Williams
C- Eric Wood, Chad Rhineheart
RG- Kraig Urbik, Chad Rhineheart
RT- Erik Pears, Chris Hairston, Sam Young
DE- Mario Williams, Kyle Moore
DT- Kyle Williams, Jay Ross
DT- Marcel Dareus, Torell Troup
DE- Mark Anderson, Alex Carrington
OLB- Nigel Bradham, Zavier Gooden
ILB- Johnathan Vilma, Kelvin Sheppard
OLB- Nick Barnett, Khaseem Greene, Bryan Scott
CB- Stephon Gilmore, Ron Brooks, Justin Rogers
FS- Jarius Byrd, Mana Silva
SS- George Wilson, DaNorris Searcy
CB- DRC, Aaron Williams
K- Rian Lindell
P- Shawn Powell
LS- Garrison Sanborn

Updated: Added alternate draft possibilities with moving down in the 1st and up back into the 1st for the QB.

YardRat
01-27-2013, 11:12 AM
I agree with the cuts.
Go ahead and tender Caussin and Dickerson, but both should be camp fodder.
I don't think they'll let Jones walk, he'll be tendered.
Hell no to Ruvell Martin, but I wouldn't mind keeping the rest although I really believe another team will give a contract to McKelvin that the Bills won't want to compete with.
Keeping Levitre would be nice, but unfortunately unlikely. I'd re-sign S.Johnson unless an upgrade in FA or draft is targeted.
I want absolutely nothing to do with A.Smith, but Vilma and DRC would be nice acquisitions. We absolutely need LBers and CBs badly, and they can't all come from the draft.

X-Era
01-27-2013, 11:27 AM
I agree with the cuts.
Go ahead and tender Caussin and Dickerson, but both should be camp fodder.
I don't think they'll let Jones walk, he'll be tendered.
Hell no to Ruvell Martin, but I wouldn't mind keeping the rest although I really believe another team will give a contract to McKelvin that the Bills won't want to compete with.
Keeping Levitre would be nice, but unfortunately unlikely. I'd re-sign S.Johnson unless an upgrade in FA or draft is targeted.
I want absolutely nothing to do with A.Smith, but Vilma and DRC would be nice acquisitions. We absolutely need LBers and CBs badly, and they can't all come from the draft.I want Fitz gone and Smith would give us insurance for the rookie. I wouldn't mind it if it had an out after the first year or two.

But, I'm also not opposed to starting the rookie. This years playoffs showed you can be successful in year one or two with a rookie or second year QB. And, freeing up that 6-7 mill may give us the funds to go to lock up Levitre. If we think we could start the rookie, I'd be fine with locking up Levitre.

What's your take on the alternate drafts I just added?

YardRat
01-27-2013, 11:35 AM
I want Fitz gone and Smith would give us insurance for the rookie. I wouldn't mind it if it had an out after the first year or two.

But, I'm also not opposed to starting the rookie. This years playoffs showed you can be successful in year one or two with a rookie or second year QB. And, freeing up that 6-7 mill may give us the funds to go to lock up Levitre. If we think we could start the rookie, I'd be fine with locking up Levitre.

What's your take on the alternate drafts I just added?

Not a fan of Wilson, would rather roll the dice on somebody else in those scenarios. Glennon or Manuel.

Lexwhat
01-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Excellent post, but absolutely 1000% disagree with letting Levitre walk. Using your numbers, with an average of ~$18 million in cap space, we will absolutely be able to sign either Levitre or Byrd to a long-term contract, while at least franchise tagging the other... Worst case scenario is to do a franchise-tag-and-trade for ANYTHING.

For someone who bashes the fact that the Bills historically trade away elite players in their prime (and I'm with you), it makes no sense to let a top-5 Guard in the AFC at 26 years old walk away for nothing.

If anything, I say sign both Levitre and Byrd to a long-term contract and let ERIC WOOD walk next season. We aren't gonna break the bank for any other FAs this season, and unlike last off-season, there's no one even available that's worth big money... Levitre has never missed a game in his career, while Wood is injured every single season. It's a no-brainer... Even the Patriots, who are notorious for being cut-throat with negotiations, gave Logan Mankins a contract that was almost as high as Carl Nicks got a year later.

Trust it, we have enough cap money for both players. These buffoons at OBD better not mess this one up...

Great post otherwise.

Ed
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
I'd consider adding George Wilson to the list of potential cuts. Maybe he can be a lot more effective under Pettine, but if not I think the $3.4 mil in savings could be better spent elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettine pushes to bring in Laron Landry.

clumping platelets
01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Are you making Fitz a post June 1st cut?

coastal
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Jesus Christ...

Let our best o-linemen go? Draft Nassib? Draft an uber-athlete skill position player at 8th overall? Don't get Kyle Williams some talented help to split time with?

basically look at this as a one year project when it reality, its still a two-three year deal... As long as we're resigning our own productive free agents.

Puke.

X-Era
01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Are you making Fitz a post June 1st cut?Ugh. I wanted to respond that it's got to be timed right to recoup the 4.5 mill. But I see conflicting reports on when and how much.

This is saying before the March bonus of 3 mill.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/68811/bills-can-save-millions-by-cutting-fitzpatrick

X-Era
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Jesus Christ...

Let our best o-linemen go? Draft Nassib? Draft an uber-athlete skill position player at 8th overall? Don't get Kyle Williams some talented help to split time with?

basically look at this as a one year project when it reality, its still a two-three year deal... As long as we're resigning our own productive free agents.

Puke.OK, so we resign Levitre and Byrd and cut Fitz. Who's the QB? How are you paying for it? Start a rookie QB? I can get behind that idea. I just want insurance.

I'm not against that but please show me who this team adds in FA when they spend 16-18 mill of their cap in Byrd and Levitre.

coastal
01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
OK, so we resign Levitre and Byrd and cut Fitz. Who's the QB? How are you paying for it? Start a rookie QB? I can get behind that idea. I just want insurance.

I'm not against that but please show me who this team adds in FA when they spend 16-18 mill of their cap in Byrd and Levitre.
Cash to crap baby. Cash to crap.

in all seriousness... Appreciate the effort, but just don't agree with where u r taking the team in this scenario.

Mill be unveiling my plan soon.

Mr. Pink
01-27-2013, 09:05 PM
X your post is exactly why I was saying that both Levitre and Byrd being back next season is a pipe dream at best.

We bring both back, we have no room for any FA moves of significance.

And that's with cutting Fitz, Smith, McGee, Kelsay...

If we cut those guys, we need to replace them someone. And those someone's will need contracts.

It's next to financially impossible to bring back both Levitre and Byrd and still make legitimate improvements on this roster that needs quite a few unless you think we pull off a once in a lifetime draft where everyone is an upgrade and all make significant contributions to the team.

BertSquirtgum
01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
It would be really stupid to let Levitre walk.

- - - Updated - - -

X your post is exactly why I was saying that both Levitre and Byrd being back next season is a pipe dream at best.

If we cut those guys, we need to replace them someone. And those someone's will need contracts.

It's next to financially impossible to bring back both Levitre and Byrd and still make legitimate improvements on this roster that needs quite a few unless you think we pull off a once in a lifetime draft where everyone is an upgrade and all make significant contributions to the team.

Disagree.

clumping platelets
01-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Ugh. I wanted to respond that it's got to be timed right to recoup the 4.5 mill. But I see conflicting reports on when and how much.

This is saying before the March bonus of 3 mill.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/68811/bills-can-save-millions-by-cutting-fitzpatrick

If Fitz is traded before payment of $3 million roster bonus his cap savings is only $450,000

If he's released as a post June 1st, his 2013 cap savings are more significant and only his 2013 proration is on 2013 book, the rest of his remaining proration in on the 2014 cap

X-Era
01-28-2013, 05:39 AM

Keeping both Levitre and Byrd is do-able IMO but requires us to start a rookie at QB. I don't see how we could keep both and tie up another 6-8 mill per in a new QB from FA. Unless that's the only thing we went after from FA.

Using my moves it would mean not signing DRC and Vilma but only Alex Smith for example.

How big a deal would that be? Well, were then still trying to get better at WR, LB, and draft a QB of the future all from the draft.

Wouldn't be my first choice.

mrbojanglezs
01-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I think Moore gets more than what you said

EDS
01-28-2013, 10:43 AM

The Reality is that you are not getting better by losing your best offensive lineman and the Bills are not going to solve all their needs this off-season. Reality is also such that as much as we may not want it the team will either be forced to go with Fitz for another year or roll the dice on the draft or a bargin bin free agent.

It is unfortunate that the front office did not bring in a development guy to date.

Personally, I would try to resign both Byrd and Levitre and look to at someone like Alec Ogletree to help the defense in round one. QB I roll the dice somewhere in round two through four.

coastal
01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Just think where'd we e without Fools Gold.

justasportsfan
01-28-2013, 10:57 AM
We let Levitre and Byrd walk people here will be whining about how we get rid of our best players and keep blaming our FO for eternity.

coastal
01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
We let Levitre and Byrd walk people here will be whining about how we get rid of our best players and keep blaming our FO for eternity.
Well duh...

Lets bring in crap like Fools Fold and subsequently lose our best O-linemen as a result?

Strategy for losers.

justasportsfan
01-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Well duh...

Lets bring in crap like Fools Fold and subsequently lose our best O-linemen as a result?

Strategy for losers.well duh.

I say keep Levitre. If we're going to be an attacking offense like the coaches talk about, Levitre is one of if not the best pulling OL.

Attacking D? Keep Byrd.

No need to create anymore holes and if we want to hit the ground running, we need players who are already familiar with each other. I am ok with letting Wilson go.

The King
01-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I am sold on Alex Smith at all. I am not sure why so many people think 1.5 years of production out weigh the 5 years of questionable play.

I also think we need to bring in another TE to compete with Chandler. Chandler is a Red Zone target yes. But he drops an awful lot of passes, if we have a young QB (whether its this year or next), he's going to need a steady safety valve and I am not convinced that we can't upgrade from SC.

justasportsfan
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM
I am sold on Alex Smith at all. I am not sure why so many people think 1.5 years of production out weigh the 5 years of questionable play.

I also think we need to bring in another TE to compete with Chandler. Chandler is a Red Zone target yes. But he drops an awful lot of passes, if we have a young QB (whether its this year or next), he's going to need a steady safety valve and I am not convinced that we can't upgrade from SC.

Chandler suffered when we lost David Nelson ,who was very much missed by Fitz. Jones just wasn't good enough to replace Nelson. BUt I agree we need another athletic TE.

X-Era
01-28-2013, 04:12 PM
We let Levitre and Byrd walk people here will be whining about how we get rid of our best players and keep blaming our FO for eternity.I don't want to let both leave but I'd be OK with letting Levitre leave if it meant cutting Fitz and adding a legit starter while our rookie learns.

But like I said, I'd be alright with starting the rookie if we plan to upgrade in other areas through FA. To me, if we do that, we should be signing a solid starting LB and WR

X-Era
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM

I also think we need to bring in another TE to compete with Chandler. Chandler is a Red Zone target yes. But he drops an awful lot of passes, if we have a young QB (whether its this year or next), he's going to need a steady safety valve and I am not convinced that we can't upgrade from SC.My thought on Alex Smith is only what we have to pay for what we get. I think he can throw more accurately and farther down field than Fitz. He went 6 and 2 as a starter this year to week 8. And we probably get him for 6-7 mill per which is Fitz money or even less. I'd like some other starting QB's better but they aren't available.

I'm 50/50 on just going with the rookie. That starting QB money would go quite a ways toward help at a position or 2.

cookie G
01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
My thought on Alex Smith is only what we have to pay for what we get. I think he can throw more accurately and farther down field than Fitz. He went 6 and 2 as a starter this year to week 8. And we probably get him for 6-7 mill per which is Fitz money or even less. I'd like some other starting QB's better but they aren't available.

I'm 50/50 on just going with the rookie. That starting QB money would go quite a ways toward help at a position or 2.

The 49ers were 6-2 in those games, not him. In 4 of those games, their defense held the opponent to single digits.

In those games in which the opponent scored more than 20 points.. they were 1-2.

He was never really asked to win a game, just not lose them.

He wouldn't have the no. 1 defense in the NFL here, in fact, if it is like last year, he'd have one of the worst. He'd be asked to shoot it out on a near weekly basis, and he's never shown the ability to do so. (no more than 17 TD's in a season.) Had he been with the Bills last year, it probably would have been worse.

That's why I'm not a big fan of paying "game managers" high salaries. They usually live off their defense, or their running game, but they are the ones that get paid.

I'm just not interested because I don't see it as a step up.

SABURZFAN
01-28-2013, 05:07 PM
The Bills are at 20.6 in cap space with the carry over.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

Using this as a guide we could save the following by making some cuts (in Mill):

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2013.php

Kelsay- 4.175- Not worth it with the emergence of Kyle Moore
Fitz- 4.5- Has to go
Barnett- 3.5- Keep or cut. I say keep.
Smith- 2.75- Pointless for what we get from him
McGee- 2.1- Injured all the time and over the hill. Needs to be replaced with youth

I would cut Kelsay, Fitz, Smith and McGee.

That adds back another 13.525 mill. That puts us at 34.125 mill under the cap.

Our free agents look like this:

Exclusive Rights Free Agent
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=506753
Mike Caussin- Tender- .5- two accrued seasons
Dorin Dickerson- Tender- .5- two accrued season
Total: 1 mill

Restricted Free Agent
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/2013-nfl-restricted-free-agent-tender-amounts-announced/
Colin Brown- Let go
Donald Jones- Let go. Injury prone and has done nothing of note
David Nelson- Tender at right of first refusal level- 1.3
Total 1.3 mill

Unrestricted Free Agent

Re-sign:
Jarius Byrd- Franchise Tag- 6.8 mill
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-roster/2013/1/25/3914758/jairus-byrd-contract-buffalo-bills-roster-2013
Ruvell Martin- Re-sign cheap- Vet min (around .5)
Corey McIntyre- Re-sign cheap- Vet min
Leodis McKelvin- Re-sign mid level- 2-3 per. Worth it as our returner and CB depth
Kyle Moore- Re-sign cheap- 1-1.5
Chad Rhineheart- Re-sign cheap- 1-1.5
Bryan Scott- Re-sign cheap- Vet min
Total: 12.3-14.3

Let walk:
Andy Levitre- Let walk at 7-8 mill per
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1222090-2013-nfl-free-agency-buffalo-bills-should-sign-andy-levitre-before-jairus-byrd
Tashard Choice- Let walk
Travaris Jackson- Let walk
Spencer Johnson- Let walk
Shawne Merriman- Let walk
Tyler Thigpen- Let walk

I know everyone wants to keep Levitre. I love the guy too. But this team needs a new starting QB from FA and really also could use either another big time WR or a serious upgrade at LB. It's possible to draft a G who could play fairly solid day one. It would be a loss for sure but the choice is an all-pro G or another a starting QB and a solid LB. The teams has bigger needs.

With these moves we eat up 14.6-16.6 of our 34.125. That leaves us at 19.525-17.25

In Free Agency:
Alex Smith -Trade for or sign- 6-7 per- Probably can be had on a 4 year deal in this range
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/alex-smith/
Johnathan Vilma- Sign if cut- 4.5 per- Rumored to be on the chopping block since the Saints are in cap hell
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/jonathan-vilma/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie/

That eats up another 13.5 out of the 19.525-17.25 and leaves us with around 6.025. That makes signing the draft picks tight. Last year Gilmore got about 3 mill per. It probably takes 7-8 to get them all signed. Look for a few of the deals done to have a lower cap hit in year one. Alex Smith deal probably has a bonus that lets us get out of it after the first year plus a lower cap hit in year one. Also some cuts like Caussins, Moats, Chris White give us maybe 1 mill back.

Draft:
1) Cordarelle Patterson- WR- Tenn- Big, fast, dynamic WR that Nix covets
2) Ryan Nassib- QB- Syr- The QB for the future
3) Justin Pugh- OG- Syr- Like Levitre is a short armed LT who moves inside to LG
4) Khaseem Greene- OLB- Rut- Rangy OLB. Helps cover the slot and TE's
5) Zavier Gooden- OLB- Mizzou- Rangy OLB. Helps cover the slot and TE's
6) Brandon McGee- CB- Miami

An alternate draft moving down from 8:
1-#20) Tyler Wilson
2-1) Robert Woods- WR- USC
2-2) Brian Winters- OG- Kent State
3-1) Tavarres King- WR- Georgia
3-2) Jordan Poyer- CB- Ore St
4) Khaseem Greene
5) Zavier Gooden
6) Brandon McGee

This version gives us lots of picks an options on draft day. We get the QB and flexibility to add a playmaking WR like Woods plus a burner in King. Winters is a day one starter at LG and the type of mauler that Bills fans will love. Poyer is a nice looking CB prospect and we still get the rangy OLB's.

An alternate draft moving back up to the 1st for the QB:
1-#8) Cordarelle Patterson
1-#20) Tyler Wilson
4) Khaseem Greene
5) Zavier Gooden
6) Brandon McGee

This version gives us the stud WR prospect, the QB and still allows for some rangy LB'ers but leaves us with no starting LG. Could Urbik do it and then start Rhineheart at RG? Eesh. Not a huge fan of that.

Depth Chart:

QB- Alex Smith, Ryan Nassib, Alex Carder (UFA)

WR- Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Ruvell Martin
WR- Cordarelle Patterson, David Nelson, Marcus Easley

RB- CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Zach Brown
FB- Corey McIntyre, Dorin Dickerson

TE- Scott Chandler, Lee Smith

LT- Cordy Glenn, Zebrie Sanders
LG- Justin Pugh, Keith Williams
C- Eric Wood, Chad Rhineheart
RG- Kraig Urbik, Chad Rhineheart
RT- Erik Pears, Chris Hairston, Sam Young

DE- Mario Williams, Kyle Moore
DT- Kyle Williams, Jay Ross
DT- Marcel Dareus, Torell Troup
DE- Mark Anderson, Alex Carrington

OLB- Nigel Bradham, Zavier Gooden
ILB- Johnathan Vilma, Kelvin Sheppard
OLB- Nick Barnett, Khaseem Greene, Bryan Scott

CB- Stephon Gilmore, Ron Brooks, Justin Rogers
FS- Jarius Byrd, Mana Silva
SS- George Wilson, DaNorris Searcy
CB- DRC, Aaron Williams

K- Rian Lindell
P- Shawn Powell
LS- Garrison Sanborn

Updated: Added alternate draft possibilities with moving down in the 1st and up back into the 1st for the QB.

you had me until the name Alex Smith came up and your draft totally blew. :down:

X-Era
01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
you had me until the name Alex Smith came up and your draft totally blew. :down:
Many don't like him. I'm OK with that. Would it be better to go with something like [Insert Starting QB signed from FA Here]?

Basically I'm saying a 6-7 mill per investment in a proven starter via trade or FA who is an upgrade to Fitz. Smith represents one version of that to me.

The flip side is that if we gamble with starting this years rookie QB draftee, we can invest that same money in one or two other FA's or re-sign Levitre.

The need for a starting QB trumps the desire to re-sign Levitre to me. But re-signing Levitre trumps the need for two moderately priced FA's at other positions... like #2 WR and/or LB.

One more comment: If we trade for a young and still unproven QB like Cousins who's still on their rookie deal, I do not want to repeat the Rob Johnson move and immediately sign him to a new contract at starting QB pay... You pay a QB starter pay when they prove they are worth it.

The Jokeman
01-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Levitre > A. Smith IMHO. I give X-Era credit for taking the time to make the plan but I'm not a fan of Smith. I hate losing Levitre but it's doable as long as we find a serviceable replacment and to me the best way to do that is to move Glenn to LG and draft a LT talent at pick 8 yet to me that's more of the Bills chasing their own tails type move we've made since we started letting CBs go and drafting new ones in the 1st Round years ago. I'll add some alternative plans after work but on lunch now so can't post more.

CleveSteve
01-31-2013, 01:58 PM
In Free Agency:
Alex Smith -Trade for or sign- 6-7 per- Probably can be had on a 4 year deal in this range
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-franc...rs/alex-smith/ (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/alex-smith/)
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orlea...onathan-vilma/ (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/jonathan-vilma/)
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp...ers-cromartie/ (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie/)

Are you suggesting that Dominic Rogers-Cromartie (or any decent young CB) can be had for $3 million per year? :chuckle:

Try 7 per and you're getting close.

X-Era
01-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Are you suggesting that Dominic Rogers-Cromartie (or any decent young CB) can be had for $3 million per year? :chuckle:

Try 7 per and you're getting close.Yes, did you click the link?

trapezeus
01-31-2013, 04:14 PM
OK, so we resign Levitre and Byrd and cut Fitz. Who's the QB? How are you paying for it? Start a rookie QB? I can get behind that idea. I just want insurance.

question is how are you paying for it? A lot of your stuff is signing people to minimums. it looks great on paper, but some of those guys won't do that. i like your cut list.

but i dont think you let levitre walk. you sign him knowing htat you'll hvae another list the following year of underperforming players to cut.

don't like that draft. I keep donald jones, i don't take a WR top pick. i take an OLB or more DE if the qb we want isn't there. i'm fine with taking nassib, i'm not sold on any single one.
but a OL from syracuse, these guys weren't that great of a team in college, why are they coming up and then being excellent. it makes no sense ot me. you still have to go to the schools hat were the best and dig harder there.

dannyek71
01-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Are you taking into account that the Bills usually do the dumbest, most illogical thing possible?

I say they announce they've extended and given a raise to #90

CleveSteve
01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Yes, did you click the link?

I hadn't, but that's kind of irrelevant... that was his rookie contract.

Last year's free agents:
Brandon Carr: 5yr / 50 Mil (Cowboys)
Cortland Finnegan: 5yr / 50 Mil (Rams)
Tracy Porter: 1yr / 4 Mil (Broncos)
Carlos Rodgers: 4yr / 31 Mil (re-signed SF)
Terrell Thomas: 4 yr / 17.4 Mil (re-signed Giants)

So unless you think DRC will be considerably cheaper than Tracy Porter or Terrell Thomas, how can you think he'd sign for $3 million per?

EDS
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM

Last year's free agents:

So unless you think DRC will be considerably cheaper than Tracy Porter or Terrell Thomas, how can you think he'd sign for $3 million per?

Even McKelvin would get more than $3 million per year as a free agent.

SABURZFAN
01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Many don't like him. I'm OK with that. Would it be better to go with something like [Insert Starting QB signed from FA Here]?

Basically I'm saying a 6-7 mill per investment in a proven starter via trade or FA who is an upgrade to Fitz. Smith represents one version of that to me.

The flip side is that if we gamble with starting this years rookie QB draftee, we can invest that same money in one or two other FA's or re-sign Levitre.

The need for a starting QB trumps the desire to re-sign Levitre to me. But re-signing Levitre trumps the need for two moderately priced FA's at other positions... like #2 WR and/or LB.

One more comment: If we trade for a young and still unproven QB like Cousins who's still on their rookie deal, I do not want to repeat the Rob Johnson move and immediately sign him to a new contract at starting QB pay... You pay a QB starter pay when they prove they are worth it.

they're stuck with Fitz unless they try one of those bonehead moves you mentioned. i'd rather see them let Levitre walk and draft Chance Warmack to replace him. then they have the money to go after a WR or LB like you mention. a G at #8 may be high to a lot of "the experts" but it addresses a need in strengthening the OL and not reaching for a QB who could possibly set back the franchise, like Lossman, or giving away a 1st rounder like they did with Johnson.

Mike
02-01-2013, 01:21 AM

Because Fans are notoriously Short Sighted. They barely remember what happened in September, never mind five years ago. To illustrate this point: 1. Quite a few posters were ready to trade multiple high round picks (1st, 2nd) for Alex Smith (who will not require a trade at all) but are not willing to trade those same picks for Phillip Rivers or D. Revis.

Another Point: This Bills had ZERO pro-bowlers this year, not counting alternatives (even KC had 5). So how is it that the Bills are struggling to keep Byrd and Levitre while they have only ONE other player who is paid superstar money (M. Williams) while teams like the 49ers, Broncos, Patriots, Packers, Texans are loaded with superstarts? How can those team afford all of their superstat players while the Bills can not even afford their -almost good enough to go to pro-bowl players?

Mike
02-01-2013, 01:26 AM

Forget Cousins, he is not getting traded. Maybe in a few years, before his rookie deal is up and the Redskins can not afford to pay that much for the QB position. Most Importantly, when you trade for a player both parties -team & player- will want an extension The team wants to secure its investment and not have the guy walk away in a year or two. And the player want to know that he has security. After all, he will ask, if you think I am good enough to trade for why don't you think I am good enough to extend. See Kevin Kolb trade, simple sign and trade.

X-Era
02-01-2013, 05:48 AM

Last year's free agents:

Carr and Finnegan is stupid money. Carr especially since they drafted Claiborne.

DRC is not commanding Carr or Finnegan money. He's commanding #2 CB money. I could see as much as 5 per. I could be way off here. Maybe someone will pay 7 mill per for this guy but his INT's and poor tackling at times don't warrant that much. To me he's a young, solid cover CB who could possibly play our #2 CB role.

CleveSteve
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Sorry, tried to edit yesterday but didn't get the edit in in time... Webb also extended +5 year +$50 Million last year.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think DRC is pretty good. And if you're pretty good anymore, you get close to $10 Mil a year a CB. I think the floor for his contract is $7-$8 Mil. JMO.

PTI
02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I think the Bills could have won 16 games the last 3 years with just about anyone at QB. They better not keep Fitz. If that means Alex Smith, so be it. I want whatever rookie we draft to start though, unless they somehow do something crazy and land some other QB.

X-Era
02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Well, I guessed one right... Donald Jones is gone...

It will probably be my only one. LOL

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2013, 07:28 AM
I want them to try to rework Fitz's contract to keep him. I like Fitz, but I don't think he will be anything more than a journeyman to good backup. And that is something every team could use.

X-Era
02-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Wilson gives us back 3.82 in cap room and Barnett gives us 3.5...

Puts us at 20.6 + 3.825 + 3.5 = 27.925 under the cap.

X-Era
02-12-2013, 05:20 AM
I hope we are not done cutting. I'd like to see McGee and Smith both gone at least.

27.9 + McGee at 2.1 and Smith at 2.75 = 32.75... without cutting Fitz (even though that still needs to happen IMO).

Were gearing up to make some splashes in FA again. I think 2 or 3 significant signings. Just my guess.

Let's not forget the Pettine links... He worked with Bart Scott both with the Ravens and Jets. He also worked with Landry last year.

Thief
02-12-2013, 07:58 AM
I would take Levitre over Alex Smith. I want to keep Merriman. The rest isn't bad and I could live with it. Well, except DRC ain't coming for 3 mil (but I'd still want him @ 7) and we'd need to draft a late QB to go w an early one and nab a journeyman backup guy.

Make it fit B-lo. Make it fit.

Also, side note, Chandler does not drop many passes, and his hands are damn good.

X-Era
02-14-2013, 07:11 PM
<p>
And McGee is gone... The cap savings from Wilson, Barnett, and McGee pretty much pays for a QB like Alex Smith (as an example).</p>
<p>
32.75 plus another 2.1 = 34.85 in cap space.</p>
<p>
Updated: My mistake, that included cutting Smith which hasn&#39;t happened. It&#39;s actually 30 mill in cap space.</p>

YardRat
02-14-2013, 07:19 PM
And McGee is gone... The cap savings from Wilson, Barnett, and McGee pretty much pays for a QB like Alex Smith (as an example).

32.75 plus another 2.1 = 34.85 in cap space.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130213/SPORTS/130219671/1004

The Bills’ release Monday of George Wilson and Nick Barnett left them $20.9 million under the projected salary cap for this season, according to News figures.

However, a lot of that space is going to be eaten up by other expenses before they start pursuing players from other teams.
The Bills need about $5.5 million in cap space for their 2013 draft choices. They need $6.8 million for a franchise tag to retain the rights to safety Jairus Byrd. A tender offer for restricted free agent David Nelson is $1.3 million.
Those costs total $13.6 million.

X-Era
02-14-2013, 07:24 PM
<p>

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130213/SPORTS/130219671/1004 The Bills&rsquo; release Monday of George Wilson and Nick Barnett left them $20.9 million under the projected salary cap for this season, according to News figures. However, a lot of that space is going to be eaten up by other expenses before they start pursuing players from other teams. The Bills need about $5.5 million in cap space for their 2013 draft choices. They need $6.8 million for a franchise tag to retain the rights to safety Jairus Byrd. A tender offer for restricted free agent David Nelson is $1.3 million. Those costs total $13.6 million. That doesn&#39;t jive with ESPN&#39;s projection and must not include the roll over. It was 20.6 with the 9.8 roll over before any cuts... So the cuts so far are around 9.5... So yeah that number doesn&#39;t include the roll over.</p>

YardRat
02-14-2013, 07:26 PM
That doesn't jive with ESPN's projection and must not include the roll over.

Could be...on the other hand, I'd be really surprised if we were currently 34plus under at the moment.

X-Era
02-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Could be...on the other hand, I'd be really surprised if we were currently 34plus under at the moment.I corrected it. I added Smith being cut which hasn't happened. I have it at 30.

coastal
02-14-2013, 08:36 PM
How much does Fools Gold count against the cap?

who here is still glad we have that "I'm not here to lead" sack of ****?

X-Era
02-15-2013, 05:55 AM
<p>

Could be...on the other hand, I&#39;d be really surprised if we were currently 34plus under at the moment.5.5 for the draft picks is actually a bit less than I anticipated... I still think Kelsay and Fitz are gone.</p>
<p>
I have us at 30 with 5.5 for draft picks leaves us 24.5 to re-sign our own, franchise tag, exclusive FA, restricted FA and to sign new UFA&#39;s.</p>

X-Era
02-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I wanted Brown to be let go... apparently he&#39;s re-signed.

YardRat
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I wanted Brown to be let go... apparently he's re-signed.

He'll probably still end up getting released at some point.

X-Era
02-16-2013, 07:23 AM
So it looks like a cap hit of 630K for Brown next year... via clump.

T-Jax is a max value of 4.5 but it could be a lower cap hit.

So that's 30 - 4.9 = 25.1 in cap room still.

Night Train
02-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Getting T. Jackson and Brown under contract isn't costly. Brown is needed depth at C & G.

Cutting Kelsay could pay for a much needed LB (or 2 ) in March Free Agency. I'm not thrilled with the ones available in the draft.

X-Era
02-16-2013, 07:50 AM
NFL.com's latest mock has Patterson to us at 8.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/josh-norris/165101

Mayock has Patterson as the top WR.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139747/article/mike-mayocks-top-5-ranks-include-early-surprises

He's my favorite pick at 8.

X-Era
02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Saints to talk to Vilma...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8958797/new-orleans-saints-seek-new-jonathan-vilma-smith-deals-sources-say

Vilma is in the last year and is scheduled to make 6 mill. It does say he may be a casualty if he won't re-do it...

:pray:

X-Era
02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Update:

T-Jax was a 2.25 mill sign. Brown was 630K.

We were at 30 mill in cap and now sit at about 27.22 mill.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/tarvaris-jackson-deal-has-base-value-of-225-million/

Skooby
02-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Fearless, I like it.

CleveSteve
02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Saints to talk to Vilma...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8958797/new-orleans-saints-seek-new-jonathan-vilma-smith-deals-sources-say

Vilma is in the last year and is scheduled to make 6 mill. It does say he may be a casualty if he won't re-do it...

:pray:

I think he gets cut. The Saints are $15 Million over the cap and switching to a 3-4. Cutting Vilma gets them $6 Million and is their second-juiciest contact cut after Will Smith ($7.8 Million.)

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Features/Potential-Cap-Cuts.aspx

YardRat
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Maybe Vilma would sign for the vet minimum, if the contract is loaded with 'incentives'.

X-Era
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Maybe Vilma would sign for the vet minimum, if the contract is loaded with 'incentives'.Heard on Sirius today that Troy Polamalu will likely be released. If true I'd want him over LaRon Landry

jimbohastle51
02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
What about...

What about 1) Dion Jordan 2) Robert woods 3) Aaron Dobson 3) QB 5) kiko alonzo 6) zeke motta 7) G/T

Trade a 4th this year and a 3rd next year to move up back into 3rd round. I have a feeling there will b 2-3 good QB prospects still available in the 3rd.

FA-(Byrd, rienhart, mckelvin, merriman resign)- delanie walker, Brandon Gibson, antoine cason, Shawn phillips, Bart Scott,

Gibson-on a two year deal is a decent vet receiver to give a couple rookies a year or two to come along. Manningham type contract... 2 years 8 million and you get a 26 year old starting caliber WR

Walker-is a nice compliment to chandler and he can catch passes as well as be a nice blocking TE. Also he is not going to break the bank.

Cason-is a Nix guy from San Diego and I have no doubt he will be after him in FA and Cason will not command top money after a sub par year last season.

Phillips-is an aging vet who is a Nix guy but at 32 will be a nice 2-3 year average salary contract guy that can produce.

Scott-could play part time and help implement pettines system and will cost peanuts at this point. Everyone will be surprised how little he signs for wherever he ends up.

No real big names except Gibson who is a top tier receiver FA after bowe is franchised and welker re-signs. No levitre but half these signings salaries for the first year will equal the first year of what levitre's new contract would cost. Rienhart would take pennies for the chance to start.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Heard on Sirius today that Troy Polamalu will likely be released. If true I'd want him over LaRon Landry

What?! That's a shocker tbh, guy was DPOTY in 2010. Damn

stuckincincy
02-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Heard on Sirius today that Troy Polamalu will likely be released. If true I'd want him over LaRon Landry

He's had a lot of injuries the past few seasons. All over his body, and IIRC, a few concussions.

Tremendous player, but it's time to go.

X-Era
02-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Post Combine I still like all my draft versions. Pugh is the only one that I'd move down really.

X-Era
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Kelsay retired and the cap figure according to Sportstrac is 4.975. I have us at 27.295 under

X-Era
02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
It could pave the way for Levitre AND Byrd to be back plus additions from FA!

I have us at 27.295 in room. We need 5.5 for draft picks which leaves us at 21.775 under. Then levitre is probably 7 mill per and Byrd is 6 mill per with the tag... That's 13 and leaves us 8+ mill to spend still.

And yes, that's after the Jackson and Brown re-signings.

I'd take Vilma at like 5 and another decent player at 3.

And this is still all before letting Fitz go.

Hell, Levitre could take 6 mill per and even only have a cap hit of 5 or even less based on the guaranteed portion or signing bonus.

I'd like to land two quality FA's like say Vilma and Landry or Vilma and Polamalu