PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith

Mouldsie
01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
I hate to say it, because I'm usually not the guy who wants a stop gap.... but the man in the title might be our best QB option for the next 2 years.

Does anyone disagree? I cannot say without a doubt that a rookie from this draft class could come in here and be a better player by 2014. This draft is deep with talent at other positions and I would hate to see us pass on a stud at another position to reach for a QB (similar to how we passed on a talented record breaking QB in Kaep or a guy who would have been a top 5 pick if he was 3 inches taller in RW in order to take marginal talents at CB/WR).

The QB ship sailed in 2011 and 2012. I say we sign Chase Daniels, make an offer Alex Smith can't refuse, and draft a developmental QB no earlier than round 3 (Manuel if he falls, Dysert, Nassib) then prepare to re-load our "find a franchise QB" strategy for the next couple drafts which look more promising (Boyd, Bridgewater, Murray if he develops more). I think you have almost as good of a shot at developing a round 3-4 guy as a round 1-2 guys this year.

Cali512
01-28-2013, 01:04 AM
The worst part of this all, is Alex Smith was just ****ed over, and wants to actually be on a team for probably 5-8 yrs. So that means hes probably not going to come here if he knows were using him as a stop gap. Where as in AZ or KC, he would probably be there future if he continues his success

better days
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
I think I would rather see Fitz at QB than Alex Smith. I don't understand the love for a guy that lost his job in SF.

Ingtar33
01-29-2013, 09:39 AM
I think I would rather see Fitz at QB than Alex Smith. I don't understand the love for a guy that lost his job in SF.

did you just imply that Fitz is as good as Kaepernick?

Cause it looks like you just claimed that since Kaepernick unset Smith, Smith isn't as good as Fitz... which by inference means you're implying Fitz is about as good as Kaepernick (or at least no worse then)... i just want to be clear on this before we go forward. Because it seems to me it's possible to be much better then Fitz and still be sat on the bench by Kaepernick.

K-Gun
01-29-2013, 09:53 AM

Cause it looks like you just claimed that since Kaepernick unset Smith, Smith isn't as good as Fitz... which by inference means you're implying Fitz is about as good as Kaepernick (or at least no worse then)... i just want to be clear on this before we go forward. Because it seems to me it's possible to be much better then Fitz and still be sat on the bench by Kaepernick.

100 is more than 20. 21 is more than 20. Therefore 21 is at least equal to or more than 100. Right?

Mouldsie
01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
100 is more than 20. 21 is more than 20. Therefore 21 is at least equal to or more than 100. Right?
True.

However Smith played against Fitz H2H this year and it got ugly.

Defenses were different? Fair point as well. I just feel Smith is a little better than Fitz. I'd be fine with a competition too but that's hard to envision and takes reps away from a young guy

better days
01-29-2013, 11:02 AM

No, I implied Fitz is as good as Smith. I doubt Smith is any better than Fitz & the Bills already owe Fitz money.

swiper
01-30-2013, 05:56 AM

You've got to be kidding. Alex Smith finish the year with the 3rd highest QB rating and you'd rather have a QB mired in the 20's? You don't understand it because you apparently don't know what you're talking about. I suggest you start by looking at the stats.

Alex Smith. Draft a guy to groom. Buddy Nix should have done it 3 years ago. The Bills back-up QB situation has been horrid since he's been in charge.

swiper
01-30-2013, 06:02 AM
No, I implied Fitz is as good as Smith. I doubt Smith is any better than Fitz & the Bills already owe Fitz money.

2013:

Alex Smith: 70.2% completion %, 13 TD/5 INT (2.4 ratio), 104.1 rating (ranked only benind Peyton Manning & Aaron Rodgers)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 60.6% completion %, 24 TD/16 INT (1.5 ratio), 83.3 rating (THE BEST RATING OF HIS CAREER)

Now tell us again that Smith is the same as Fitzpatrick.

RedEyE
01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
I saw his interview today on ESPN talking about Kap, and Kap's interview talking about Alex. Despite the **** he has had to endure in San Fran this year (remember the Manning interview in the offseason) he still remains positive and still goes out of his way to contribute to the team. He's a class act and I'm glad he didn't take the low road like so many do.

Is he an A+ talent? No. But those guys are hard to come by anyway. He could though be the short term answer until the Bills can get their franchise champion.

I say try and lure him in but before I commit 100%, at what price would it take?

better days
01-30-2013, 06:39 AM
2013:

Alex Smith: 70.2% completion %, 13 TD/5 INT (2.4 ratio), 104.1 rating (ranked only benind Peyton Manning & Aaron Rodgers)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 60.6% completion %, 24 TD/16 INT (1.5 ratio), 83.3 rating (THE BEST RATING OF HIS CAREER)

Tell us the CAREER stats of both. They are basicly the SAME. Smith is the same as Fitz.

DynaPaul
01-30-2013, 06:47 AM
At least he can throw a long ball.

better days
01-30-2013, 06:53 AM
At least he can throw a long ball.

So can JP Losman. Might as well resign him.

swiper
01-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Tell us the CAREER stats of both. They are basicly the SAME. Smith is the same as Fitz.

Stupid is as stupid does i guess.

Who, tf, cares what Alex Smith did 5 years ago. Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young took time too. YOU go back and look. Because Alex Smith has progressed and Fitzpatrick hasn't. Just because Smith didn't develop overnight you write him off? THAT is stupid. QBs don't instantly materialize overnight in the NFL. It takes a think called time. And I'm sure you've read the stories (although maybe I shouldn't be so sure) of all the different offensive coordinators that Smith had in and out of his life since he was drafted? Think that could delay one's progress? SEVEN different coordinators.

HE was drafted #1 overall in the same draft that Rodgers fell to #24. Where was Fitzpatrick drafted again? YOU are the one that wanted to look at their career. They're nothing alike. At worst, Smith is 2 levels above Fitzpatrick.

- - - Updated - - -

So can JP Losman. Might as well resign him.

You're arguments are getting worse by the post.

better days
01-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Stupid is as stupid does i guess.

Who, tf, cares what Alex Smith did 5 years ago. Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young took time too. YOU go back and look. Because Alex Smith has progressed and Fitzpatrick hasn't. Just because Smith didn't develop overnight you write him off? THAT is stupid. QBs don't instantly materialize overnight in the NFL. It takes a think called time. And I'm sure you've read the stories (although maybe I shouldn't be so sure) of all the different offensive coordinators that Smith had in and out of his life since he was drafted? Think that could delay one's progress? SEVEN different coordinators.

HE was drafted #1 overall in the same draft that Rodgers fell to #24. Where was Fitzpatrick drafted again? YOU are the one that wanted to look at their career. They're nothing alike. At worst, Smith is 2 levels above Fitzpatrick.

- - - Updated - - -

You're arguments are getting worse by the post.

How many OCs do you think Fitz has had? 1 or 2 or 7or 8? Smith played on a better team with better WRs than Fitz the last 2 years. If Smith was all that good he would not have lost his job. And yes Kaepernick looks like the real deal NOW. But when Smth lost his job, Kaepernick was still a huge question mark.

My post about Losman was SARCASM, I guess some people are too dense to understand what that is.

better days
01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
I check out the boards of the Bills AFC East Rivals from time to time. Pretty funny, the talk on the Jets board about Alex Smith is the same as here. Some want to trade for him. Others want to sign him as a FA. And others say why bother with him, he is no better than Sanchez.

Bill Cody
01-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Alex Smith is an average QB. Fitz is below average. I'm done with Fitz.

better days
01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Alex Smith is an average QB. Fitz is below average. I'm done with Fitz.

I am not here to support Fitz. I just don't think Smith is the answer anymore than Fitz is. There are other vet QBs out there.

Bill Cody
01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
I am not here to support Fitz. I just don't think Smith is the answer anymore than Fitz is. There are other vet QBs out there.

Other than possibly trading for Flynn I don't see any other viable options. The big difference between Smith and Fitz is Smith can make the occasional play with his legs and he doesn't make as many soul crushing turnovers. He is quite a bit better than Fitz. You could make the argument on a great team he was a bone head punt returner away from a trip to the Super Bowl. Do you really envision Fitz getting that close? I don't. I just can't do the Fitz thing anymore. Can't. Won't. Not saying I've got a man crush on Smith but he is an upgrade over Fitz. Period.

better days
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Other than possibly trading for Flynn I don't see any other viable options. The big difference between Smith and Fitz is Smith can make the occasional play with his legs and he doesn't make as many soul crushing turnovers. He is quite a bit better than Fitz. You could make the argument on a great team he was a bone head punt returner away from a trip to the Super Bowl. Do you really envision Fitz getting that close? I don't. I just can't do the Fitz thing anymore. Can't. Won't. Not saying I've got a man crush on Smith but he is an upgrade over Fitz. Period.

I would prefer Flynn or Moore to Smith myself & even TJAX may be as good as Smith. He was playing well for the Seahawks before getting injured.

acehole
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Don't show these to "Tank the season" Mike...he will blow a gasket as these facts don't fit his narrative.

You will see lots of movement after super-bowl.

Free agency for Offense and draft defense. They will bring in Vincent jackson and alex smith for visits,...if they can get those two signed they will go BAP...which I am told is defense at that spot.

Stay tuned Miagison.

2013:

better days
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Don't show these to "Tank the season" Mike...he will blow a gasket as these facts don't fit his narrative.

You will see lots of movement after super-bowl.

Free agency for Offense and draft defense. They will bring in Vincent jackson and alex smith for visits,...if they can get those two signed they will go BAP...which I am told is defense at that spot.

Stay tuned Miagison.

Not only is Vincent Jackson a Buccaneer, but he is recruiting other FA's to join him in Tampa.

swiper
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Wanting Flynn over wanting Smith is ridiculous. Flynn hasn't proven himself. Smith has. Targets should be Smith or Moore.

And although I am a bigger Matt Moore fan than most, he hasn't even produced what Smith has. How you can't want the #1 overall draft choice from 2005 who has a 70% completion percentage a 2.4 TD/INT ration and a 104% overall QB rating (ie he is hitting his stride in the prime of his career) over Flynn or Moore is just laughable.

better days
01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Wanting Flynn over wanting Smith is ridiculous. Flynn hasn't proven himself. Smith has. Targets should be Smith or Moore.

And although I am a bigger Matt Moore fan than most, he hasn't even produced what Smith has. How you can't want the #1 overall draft choice from 2005 who has a 70% completion percentage a 2.4 TD/INT ration and a 104% overall QB rating (ie he is hitting his stride in the prime of his career) over Flynn or Moore is just laughable.

I disagree that Smith has proven himself. The only Coach he has played well for is Harbaugh who was his Coach in College. Nobody knows how well he will play on his next team.

better days
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Can any Alex Smith fan tell me why they think he would choose to go clear across the Country from SF to Buffalo to play for a Coach he knows nothing about if he has any other options unless it is for a boatload of money? And his contract calls for him to make starters money for those that would like to trade for him. Any team that trades for him could be in the same position Seattle is in with Flynn owing a lot of money to a guy that will sit on the bench. And that is the reason the 49ers don't want to keep him.

Flynn played in Green Bay, similar to Buffalo & Moore has been to Buffalo & knows what a great football town it is. I think it is much more likely one of those two come to Buffalo than Smith myself.

Bill Cody
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
I would prefer Flynn or Moore to Smith myself & even TJAX may be as good as Smith. He was playing well for the Seahawks before getting injured.

Not sure why you hate Smith and you're not consistent on your main point against him which is that he lost his job. Moore? Journeyman that has been released by multiple teams. TJax? Traded twice for very little. At least Smith lost his job to a future star.

better days
01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Not sure why you hate Smith and you're not consistent on your main point against him which is that he lost his job. Moore? Journeyman that has been released by multiple teams. TJax? Traded twice for very little. At least Smith lost his job to a future star.

Smith is a 49er because of his 1st round rookie contract & then his College Coach joining the team. And his College Coach who knows him better than anybody decided to stick with Kaepernick after Smith got healthy. Kaepernick was playing OK, but not great when Harbaugh made that decision & many people questioned it.

Like I said, nobody knows how well Smith will play for his next Coach. Harbaugh is the only Coach he had any success with. And explain why Smith would choose to come to Buffalo if he has any other options.

Bert102176
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Alex Smith is no good we need to stay away from him.

Mouldsie
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Harbaugh was not his college coach.

Jeff1220
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM

I was just about to say that...since when did Urban Meyer change his name to Jim Harbaugh?

Bill Cody
01-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Smith is a 49er because of his 1st round rookie contract & then his College Coach joining the team. And his College Coach who knows him better than anybody decided to stick with Kaepernick after Smith got healthy. Kaepernick was playing OK, but not great when Harbaugh made that decision & many people questioned it.

Like I said, nobody knows how well Smith will play for his next Coach. Harbaugh is the only Coach he had any success with. And explain why Smith would choose to come to Buffalo if he has any other options.

Try again. Smith went to Utah. Never played college ball under Harbaugh.

better days
01-30-2013, 03:37 PM

My mistake on that. Still the rest is true. Harbaugh did not give Smith his job back after he got healthy & people questioned his decision at the time because Smith had been playing well before the concussion & Kaepernick played OK but not great up to that point.

better days
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM
And I'm still waiting for a Smith fan to explain why they would expect Smith to sign with the Bills unless it is for a huge pay day.

Bill Cody
01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
My mistake on that. Still the rest is true. Harbaugh did not give Smith his job back after he got healthy & people questioned his decision at the time because Smith had been playing well before the concussion & Kaepernick played OK but not great up to that point.

He played great for a rookie and the potential was obvious. Gutsy call by JH though. Sort of like the Drew Bledsoe Tom Brady situation.

gr8slayer
01-30-2013, 05:35 PM
At his current contract, I think that he'd be a great pick up for the Bills. He's not going to go out and win you many games by himself, but he's also not going to throw away a lot of games.

Mouldsie
01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
And I'm still waiting for a Smith fan to explain why they would expect Smith to sign with the Bills unless it is for a huge pay day.
Chance to start and stay that way (bad rookie class, if he wins games they will be hard pressed to draft one). He may have the opportunity in a few other cities too so we will see.

better days
01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
At his current contract, I think that he'd be a great pick up for the Bills. He's not going to go out and win you many games by himself, but he's also not going to throw away a lot of games.

His current contract is for $8.5 Million Dollars including a $1 Million bonus due in March. That is not money you pay someone to sit on the bench. Hypothetically if the Bills drafted Nassib & he lit it up because he knows Marrones system, the Bills would be playing a lot of money for Smith to sit on the bench. Or Nassib does not light it up, but Smith plays like he has every year but the last two do you still play Smith even though he stinks?

Bert102176
02-03-2013, 08:24 AM
You've got to be kidding. Alex Smith finish the year with the 3rd highest QB rating and you'd rather have a QB mired in the 20's? You don't understand it because you apparently don't know what you're talking about. I suggest you start by looking at the stats.

Alex Smith. Draft a guy to groom. Buddy Nix should have done it 3 years ago. The Bills back-up QB situation has been horrid since he's been in charge.

And before Harbough was the coach what did get do not a DAMN thing the guys is nothing we should even think about the 49ers have good WR's and a really good OL we have 1 good WR and an ok OL, imo he would be no better then trent edwards was

better days
02-03-2013, 08:44 AM
He played great for a rookie and the potential was obvious. Gutsy call by JH though. Sort of like the Drew Bledsoe Tom Brady situation.

Kaepernack was NOT playing great at the time Harbaugh made the decision to go with him over Smith. Like I said, he was playing OK, nothing more than that. Up to the time of that decision, Smith had been playing better, albeit not much better.

better days
02-03-2013, 08:46 AM

For $8.5 Million, not throwing away a lot of games is not good enough.

YardRat
02-03-2013, 08:47 AM
He's not going to go out and win you many games by himself, but he's also not going to throw away a lot of games.

He really hasn't had much of an opportunity to. If he comes in, and the Bills play anywhere similar to what they have the last couple of years, he'll be able to throw away more than a few. And he will.

Screw Smith...just draft a couple of damn rookies and go with the unknown. I'm tired of getting ****ed over by retreads, veterans with 'potential', or proven has-beens/never were's.

better days
02-03-2013, 08:58 AM
He really hasn't had much of an opportunity to. If he comes in, and the Bills play anywhere similar to what they have the last couple of years, he'll be able to throw away more than a few. And he will.

Screw Smith...just draft a couple of damn rookies and go with the unknown. I'm tired of getting ****ed over by retreads, veterans with 'potential', or proven has-beens/never were's.

I agree, if the Bills are going to lose, I would rather lose with a young unknown & give him a chance to develop. I think the Bills OL is good enough that a Rookie QB would not get destroyed like Carr was in Houston. Unless a vet can WIN games & get the Bills to the playoffs, I see no point.

gr8slayer
02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
His current contract is for $8.5 Million Dollars including a $1 Million bonus due in March. That is not money you pay someone to sit on the bench. Hypothetically if the Bills drafted Nassib & he lit it up because he knows Marrones system, the Bills would be playing a lot of money for Smith to sit on the bench. Or Nassib does not light it up, but Smith plays like he has every year but the last two do you still play Smith even though he stinks?
Who says that Smith would be sitting on the bench? That contract is fair for him as a starter in Buffalo. People would do well to get the Nassib thing out of their minds, it's not happening, and would be a step in the wrong direction.

better days
02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Who says that Smith would be sitting on the bench? That contract is fair for him as a starter in Buffalo. People would do well to get the Nassib thing out of their minds, it's not happening, and would be a step in the wrong direction.

Like I said $8.5 Million dollars is TOO MUCH even if Smith starts unless he WINS games & gets the Bills into the playoffs. We can lose for much less money.

Mike
02-04-2013, 01:10 AM

Your falsely assuming that he is looking short term vs long term. Stop gap QBs have a horrible track record in the NFL. In reality, they might win you a few extra games but end up coasting you the opportunity to draft a great QB prospect. I would be ok really sucking for 2 years & drafting the next RG3 than going 8-8 with Smith instead.

Ingtar33
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Your falsely assuming that he is looking short term vs long term. Stop gap QBs have a horrible track record in the NFL. In reality, they might win you a few extra games but end up coasting you the opportunity to draft a great QB prospect. I would be ok really sucking for 2 years & drafting the next RG3 than going 8-8 with Smith instead.

you must think highly of smith if you think he can get us to .500

since we haven't been .500 since 2003.

Mouldsie
02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm convinced. We should aim for 3-13 the next 2 years

The King
02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Cowher was calling for Smith during the blackout last night. I have never been high on Alex but to hear Cowher think he was a better option, surprised me, maybe there is something there.

better days
02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Cowher was calling for Smith during the blackout last night. I have never been high on Alex but to hear Cowher think he was a better option, surprised me, maybe there is something there.

Cowher was calling for Smith because he had money on the Ravens.