X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mouldsie
    • Aug 2012

Alex Smith

I hate to say it, because I'm usually not the guy who wants a stop gap.... but the man in the title might be our best QB option for the next 2 years.

Does anyone disagree? I cannot say without a doubt that a rookie from this draft class could come in here and be a better player by 2014. This draft is deep with talent at other positions and I would hate to see us pass on a stud at another position to reach for a QB (similar to how we passed on a talented record breaking QB in Kaep or a guy who would have been a top 5 pick if he was 3 inches taller in RW in order to take marginal talents at CB/WR).

The QB ship sailed in 2011 and 2012. I say we sign Chase Daniels, make an offer Alex Smith can't refuse, and draft a developmental QB no earlier than round 3 (Manuel if he falls, Dysert, Nassib) then prepare to re-load our "find a franchise QB" strategy for the next couple drafts which look more promising (Boyd, Bridgewater, Murray if he develops more). I think you have almost as good of a shot at developing a round 3-4 guy as a round 1-2 guys this year.
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Re: Alex Smith

The worst part of this all, is Alex Smith was just ****ed over, and wants to actually be on a team for probably 5-8 yrs. So that means hes probably not going to come here if he knows were using him as a stop gap. Where as in AZ or KC, he would probably be there future if he continues his success
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

I think I would rather see Fitz at QB than Alex Smith. I don't understand the love for a guy that lost his job in SF.

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
        I think I would rather see Fitz at QB than Alex Smith. I don't understand the love for a guy that lost his job in SF.
        did you just imply that Fitz is as good as Kaepernick?

Cause it looks like you just claimed that since Kaepernick unset Smith, Smith isn't as good as Fitz... which by inference means you're implying Fitz is about as good as Kaepernick (or at least no worse then)... i just want to be clear on this before we go forward. Because it seems to me it's possible to be much better then Fitz and still be sat on the bench by Kaepernick.
        Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• K-Gun
          Deal with it
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post

Cause it looks like you just claimed that since Kaepernick unset Smith, Smith isn't as good as Fitz... which by inference means you're implying Fitz is about as good as Kaepernick (or at least no worse then)... i just want to be clear on this before we go forward. Because it seems to me it's possible to be much better then Fitz and still be sat on the bench by Kaepernick.
          100 is more than 20. 21 is more than 20. Therefore 21 is at least equal to or more than 100. Right?
          [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Comment

• Mouldsie
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by K-Gun View Post
            100 is more than 20. 21 is more than 20. Therefore 21 is at least equal to or more than 100. Right?
            True.

However Smith played against Fitz H2H this year and it got ugly.

Defenses were different? Fair point as well. I just feel Smith is a little better than Fitz. I'd be fine with a competition too but that's hard to envision and takes reps away from a young guy

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post

No, I implied Fitz is as good as Smith. I doubt Smith is any better than Fitz & the Bills already owe Fitz money.

Comment

• Swiper
                • Sep 2010

You've got to be kidding. Alex Smith finish the year with the 3rd highest QB rating and you'd rather have a QB mired in the 20's? You don't understand it because you apparently don't know what you're talking about. I suggest you start by looking at the stats.

Alex Smith. Draft a guy to groom. Buddy Nix should have done it 3 years ago. The Bills back-up QB situation has been horrid since he's been in charge.

Comment

• Swiper
                  • Sep 2010

No, I implied Fitz is as good as Smith. I doubt Smith is any better than Fitz & the Bills already owe Fitz money.
                  2013:

Alex Smith: 70.2% completion %, 13 TD/5 INT (2.4 ratio), 104.1 rating (ranked only benind Peyton Manning & Aaron Rodgers)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 60.6% completion %, 24 TD/16 INT (1.5 ratio), 83.3 rating (THE BEST RATING OF HIS CAREER)

Now tell us again that Smith is the same as Fitzpatrick.
                  Last edited by swiper; 01-30-2013, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

I saw his interview today on ESPN talking about Kap, and Kap's interview talking about Alex. Despite the **** he has had to endure in San Fran this year (remember the Manning interview in the offseason) he still remains positive and still goes out of his way to contribute to the team. He's a class act and I'm glad he didn't take the low road like so many do.

Is he an A+ talent? No. But those guys are hard to come by anyway. He could though be the short term answer until the Bills can get their franchise champion.

I say try and lure him in but before I commit 100%, at what price would it take?

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      2013:

Alex Smith: 70.2% completion %, 13 TD/5 INT (2.4 ratio), 104.1 rating (ranked only benind Peyton Manning & Aaron Rodgers)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 60.6% completion %, 24 TD/16 INT (1.5 ratio), 83.3 rating (THE BEST RATING OF HIS CAREER)

Now tell us again that Smith is the same as Fitzpatrick.
                      Tell us the CAREER stats of both. They are basicly the SAME. Smith is the same as Fitz.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                        • Sep 2003

At least he can throw a long ball.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DevilPaul View Post
                          At least he can throw a long ball.
                          So can JP Losman. Might as well resign him.

Comment

• Swiper
                            • Sep 2010

Tell us the CAREER stats of both. They are basicly the SAME. Smith is the same as Fitz.
                            Stupid is as stupid does i guess.

Who, tf, cares what Alex Smith did 5 years ago. Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young took time too. YOU go back and look. Because Alex Smith has progressed and Fitzpatrick hasn't. Just because Smith didn't develop overnight you write him off? THAT is stupid. QBs don't instantly materialize overnight in the NFL. It takes a think called time. And I'm sure you've read the stories (although maybe I shouldn't be so sure) of all the different offensive coordinators that Smith had in and out of his life since he was drafted? Think that could delay one's progress? SEVEN different coordinators.

HE was drafted #1 overall in the same draft that Rodgers fell to #24. Where was Fitzpatrick drafted again? YOU are the one that wanted to look at their career. They're nothing alike. At worst, Smith is 2 levels above Fitzpatrick.

- - - Updated - - -

So can JP Losman. Might as well resign him.
                            You're arguments are getting worse by the post.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              Stupid is as stupid does i guess.

Who, tf, cares what Alex Smith did 5 years ago. Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young took time too. YOU go back and look. Because Alex Smith has progressed and Fitzpatrick hasn't. Just because Smith didn't develop overnight you write him off? THAT is stupid. QBs don't instantly materialize overnight in the NFL. It takes a think called time. And I'm sure you've read the stories (although maybe I shouldn't be so sure) of all the different offensive coordinators that Smith had in and out of his life since he was drafted? Think that could delay one's progress? SEVEN different coordinators.

HE was drafted #1 overall in the same draft that Rodgers fell to #24. Where was Fitzpatrick drafted again? YOU are the one that wanted to look at their career. They're nothing alike. At worst, Smith is 2 levels above Fitzpatrick.

- - - Updated - - -

You're arguments are getting worse by the post.
                              How many OCs do you think Fitz has had? 1 or 2 or 7or 8? Smith played on a better team with better WRs than Fitz the last 2 years. If Smith was all that good he would not have lost his job. And yes Kaepernick looks like the real deal NOW. But when Smth lost his job, Kaepernick was still a huge question mark.

My post about Losman was SARCASM, I guess some people are too dense to understand what that is.

Comment

Working...
                              X