PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in Alex Smith...

YardRat
01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-francisco-49ers-alex-smith-likely-to-request-release-before-free-agency-012813

A ProFootball talk report Monday indicated Smith is expected to seek his release before the start of free agency. Due to earn $8.5 million in 2013, with $1 million guaranteed now and the balance guaranteed as of April 1, the decision would allow Smith to be a factor in the beginning of the free-agent signing period.

Typ0
01-28-2013, 04:30 PM
we need to get him on this team....

Bert102176
01-28-2013, 04:31 PM
I just don't think he is that good and people need to wake up about him.

better days
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
we need to get him on this team....

Why? So we can go 8-8? He has never been a winner in the NFL. No thanks.

WagonCircler
01-28-2013, 05:03 PM

As opposed to...Ryan Nassib?

One of the two led his team to an NFC championship game.

SABURZFAN
01-28-2013, 05:13 PM
what was his hand size again?

better days
01-28-2013, 05:15 PM
As opposed to...Ryan Nassib?

One of the two led his team to an NFC championship game.

Kaepernick led the 49ers to an NFC Championship, NOT Smith! Not that I would like to see Nassib in a Bills uniform. BUT Nassib is MUCH younger & cheaper than Smith & probably has more potential at this point in time.

Buffalogic
01-28-2013, 05:44 PM
their defense lead them to the championship alex was just along for the ride. he's a total scrub

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Kaepernick led the 49ers to an NFC Championship, NOT Smith! Not that I would like to see Nassib in a Bills uniform. BUT Nassib is MUCH younger & cheaper than Smith & probably has more potential at this point in time.
He's talking about last year to the NFC championship game

better days
01-28-2013, 05:49 PM
He's talking about last year to the NFC championship game

Oh, you mean the game he LOST.

YardRat
01-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Actually Kyle Williams lost it.

Bangarang
01-28-2013, 06:29 PM
The standards for a QB here are so low that it has resorted to people practically begging for Alex Smith and trying to convince themselves that good alternatives are Chase Daniel and Matt Moore.

Seriously?

Mouldsie
01-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Name the QB who is available who is better.

better days
01-28-2013, 06:43 PM

Probably at least 4 QBs available in this draft better than Smith, maybe more.

RedEyE
01-28-2013, 06:54 PM

None that have Smiths level of experience,. And even if the Bills were to land him they still need to draft a QB.

TigerJ
01-28-2013, 06:56 PM
The standards for a QB here are so low that it has resorted to people practically begging for Alex Smith and trying to convince themselves that good alternatives are Chase Daniel and Matt Moore.

Seriously?The aim is to try and get better sooner rather than later. There are those of us who are convinced Ryan Fitzpatrick will never allow this team to get any better than it is right now. That's not good enough. Alex Smith was once a first round draft pick, and until he got benched in favor of Kaepernick's greater upside he played pretty well over the past two years, a good deal better than Fitzpatrick played over the same period. I don't think anybody believes he's the second coming of ________ (fill in the blank, but he would improve the team immediately, and probably moreso than anybody else the Bills could acquire this offseason. Moreover, signing Smith, or somebody else doesn't preclude you from also looking for the QB of the future in the draft. You can still draft Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley, EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib or whoever else you think has enough upside to be a future starter/franchise QB. That said, I think Alex Smith probably ends up in KC with Andy Reid. They are a natural fit for each other and Alex Smith probably knows it.

PTI
01-28-2013, 07:16 PM

38-36-1 as a starter.

mikemac2001
01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Oh, you mean the game he LOST.

he didnt win it but he sure as hell didnt lose it...that was williams 2 fumbles on special teams

RedEyE
01-28-2013, 07:29 PM
To me its more about cramming in as many QBs into camp as financially possible and hope for one to set themselves apart from the rest.

I would feel much better about things if I felt the FO and the coaches not only have the nut sack to identify the problem areas but exhausted all efforts in trying to correct them.

The FAs are subpar. And yes the draftees for the most part are not high end prospects. So what's left? The Bills need to saturate camp with as many QBs as they can and pray one rises to the top.

paladin warrior
01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Maybe Azirona Cardinals will get him .

X-Era
01-29-2013, 05:57 AM
That's really the point.

I might be fine with starting a rookie and saving the money but I want Fitz gone and I would like a starting QB for FA or trade to give us insurance.

jamze132
01-29-2013, 06:50 AM

You can't be serious.

justasportsfan
01-29-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm okay with bringing him in if released. I have my reservations about giving up a draft pick however.

better days
01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
You can't be serious.

I can't be serious? Why not? You think Alex Smith is a Pro Bowl QB? The guy LOST HIS JOB. I will bet at least 4 QB's in this draft have a career at least as good as Alex Smith.

better days
01-29-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm okay with bringing him in if released. I have my reservations about giving up a draft pick however.

When Smith is released, I would not mind bringing him in on the cheap to compete for the QB job, but I doubt it happens.

Albany,n.y.
01-29-2013, 09:36 AM

Name them-there are not even 4 QBs in this draft who will be on NFL rosters in 5 years.

TigerJ
01-29-2013, 10:20 AM

I wholeheartedly agree.

jamze132
01-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Name them

better days
01-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Name them

If I could name them, I should have a job running the Bills draft. But with all the QBs in the draft I think it is very likely at least 4 have a better career than Smith has had. Smith has not set the bar that high.

trapezeus
01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
my theory is becoming that whoever the bills select will be insufficient to make a turnaround immediately. He maybe could, but going into camp counting on that guy is a bit of a risk. and furthemore, a bigger risk is to start him, have it go ppoorly, and have no options or go down to a lesser qb. it could ruin a capable QB.

Therefore, you almost need to have a bigger name like an alex smith, romo, sanchez to provide compeition in camp.

If rookie wins, great...he has built some confidence that he beat a name and can build on that. he also has the backstop if there are games that aren't going well that we can fall back on someone else.

If vet wins, great, but they know they won in a competition with a rookie. They know they are on a short leash. It gives the rookie more prep time to learn from mistakes

Those vets aren't exciting to be sure. And the rookies aren't exciting to be sure...but this isn't a pick one or the other game. You need to solidify the position from where it was last year. and fitz was terrible and he had two guys who couldn't pass him. Get two mediocre guys and the spot has improved. if it hasn't improved enough at end of year, you draft another qb and cut loose one of the mediocres.

It's the only way to get better. it's the only way to change the culture.

The key is to do this without wasting draft picks. I would honestly rather take sanchez for free and with NYJ paying part of his contract, than taking smith and losing a pick.

Again, the big story this week is that the two superbowl teams got there by building internally through draft. not by giving away picks. The bills are in a rebuild whether we like it or not, and the odds of them being as good (recordwise) as this year, is probably not very good. That being the case, look at the longer 3 years and develop a plan that way.

Michael82
01-29-2013, 01:16 PM
I'll take Alex Smith to go with a rookie QB so then we can finally get rid of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

justasportsfan
01-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Therefore, you almost need to have a bigger name like an alex smith, romo, sanchez to provide compeition in camp.

If rookie wins, great...he has built some confidence that he beat a name and can build on that. he also has the backstop if there are games that aren't going well that we can fall back on someone else.

Marrone has assembled a staff that's familiar with both the spread and the WCO. From Hackett to the new OL coach who was studying the WCO under Gruden last year .

Marrone has preached several times that they have to hit the ground running which is why I think that the bills will draft Nassib who is also familiar with their system already or grab a vet qb who is familiar with the WCO .

PTI
01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
See what it would take for Rivers

better days
01-29-2013, 02:16 PM
my theory is becoming that whoever the bills select will be insufficient to make a turnaround immediately. He maybe could, but going into camp counting on that guy is a bit of a risk. and furthemore, a bigger risk is to start him, have it go ppoorly, and have no options or go down to a lesser qb. it could ruin a capable QB.

If vet wins, great, but they know they won in a competition with a rookie. They know they are on a short leash. It gives the rookie more prep time to learn from mistakes

Those vets aren't exciting to be sure. And the rookies aren't exciting to be sure...but this isn't a pick one or the other game. You need to solidify the position from where it was last year. and fitz was terrible and he had two guys who couldn't pass him. Get two mediocre guys and the spot has improved. if it hasn't improved enough at end of year, you draft another qb and cut loose one of the mediocres.

It's the only way to get better. it's the only way to change the culture.

The key is to do this without wasting draft picks. I would honestly rather take sanchez for free and with NYJ paying part of his contract, than taking smith and losing a pick.

Again, the big story this week is that the two superbowl teams got there by building internally through draft. not by giving away picks. The bills are in a rebuild whether we like it or not, and the odds of them being as good (recordwise) as this year, is probably not very good. That being the case, look at the longer 3 years and develop a plan that way.

If the Bills trade for a QB from the Jets, I would take Tebow over Sanchez.

don137
01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
The problem I see is financial trying sign Smith and dump Fitz. The cap hit for dumping Fitz plus the cost to sign Smith would be too steep considering that is a lot of salary hitting th cap for players that are not the long term answer on this team. Unfortunately, it may be cheaper to keep Fitz and have him mentor the QB the Bills draft. I wouldn't mind drafting two QBs to be honest with you and keeping Fitz as backup.

better days
01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
The problem I see is financial trying sign Smith and dump Fitz. The cap hit for dumping Fitz plus the cost to sign Smith would be too steep considering that is a lot of salary hitting th cap for players that are not the long term answer on this team. Unfortunately, it may be cheaper to keep Fitz and have him mentor the QB the Bills draft. I wouldn't mind drafting two QBs to be honest with you and keeping Fitz as backup.

That is what I am saying. As much as I hate Fitz, the Bills owe him money. Why pay more money to Smith who is no better than Fitz?

Typ0
01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Smith did not lose his job because he couldn't cut it ... he lost his job because this Kapernacki kid is a prodigy. There is a big difference. OK I don't put these guys in this class...but it's like putting peyton manning and eli manning on the same team. Only one guy is going to start. It doesn't mean the other guy is incompetent. We have had nothing but incompetence at QB for almost 15 years. We could really use some competence...plus, if Smith is not destroyed mentally he's going to be looking to prove himself all over again. He's going to want to put a ring on his finger as a starter. This would be a great pick up for the Bills ... Smith and a rookie QB is the best path to solving our QB position for years to come...

Typ0
01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
That is what I am saying. As much as I hate Fitz, the Bills owe him money. Why pay more money to Smith who is no better than Fitz?

Fitz is no where near the talent Smith is I'm sorry. Smith can throw the ball to all the spots on the field. Fitz is limited and inconsistent. No comparison whatsoever.

trapezeus
01-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Smith did not lose his job because he couldn't cut it ... he lost his job because this Kapernacki kid is a prodigy. There is a big difference. OK I don't put these guys in this class...but it's like putting peyton manning and eli manning on the same team. Only one guy is going to start. It doesn't mean the other guy is incompetent. We have had nothing but incompetence at QB for almost 15 years. We could really use some competence...plus, if Smith is not destroyed mentally he's going to be looking to prove himself all over again. He's going to want to put a ring on his finger as a starter. This would be a great pick up for the Bills ... Smith and a rookie QB is the best path to solving our QB position for years to come...

this i think is dangerous as fans. smith is only a gateway to solidifying the QB position. he won't be the cure. if he is, it will be an outlier type of event.

Michael82
01-29-2013, 02:59 PM

No better than Fitz?!?!? lol! I bet that Smith can actually complete passes longer than 25 yards.

better days
01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Fitz is no where near the talent Smith is I'm sorry. Smith can throw the ball to all the spots on the field. Fitz is limited and inconsistent. No comparison whatsoever.

If Smith were anywhere near as good as you think, he would not be looking for a job for next year.

better days
01-29-2013, 03:30 PM
No better than Fitz?!?!? lol! I bet that Smith can actually complete passes longer than 25 yards.

I don't know that he could complete passes longer than 25 yards in BUFFALO.

trapezeus
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
smith is what fitz was attempting to be. a conductor who knows where to put the football, but might go 50% on games that require a comeback.

you give him a running game and some receivers and he's good. you ask him to carry a team, he'll fall apart.

fitz sucked at doing that. smith could. And i think he could get you to 8-8. I think he'd be looking at being replaced again by a rookie after playing ok to be successful.

better days
01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
smith is what fitz was attempting to be. a conductor who knows where to put the football, but might go 50% on games that require a comeback.

you give him a running game and some receivers and he's good. you ask him to carry a team, he'll fall apart.

fitz sucked at doing that. smith could. And i think he could get you to 8-8. I think he'd be looking at being replaced again by a rookie after playing ok to be successful.

Well, I think if Fitz was QB of the 49ers, he would have done as well as Smith did. And if Smith was QB of the Bills he would have done no better than Fitz did.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Well, I think if Fitz was QB of the 49ers, he would have done as well as Smith did. And if Smith was QB of the Bills he would have done no better than Fitz did.

isnt the projection, and not fact. the fact is smith was productive the past two years, and fitz was not.

Typ0
01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
this i think is dangerous as fans. smith is only a gateway to solidifying the QB position. he won't be the cure. if he is, it will be an outlier type of event.

Why? Because he lost his job to injury and that makes him sound like Drew Bledsoe? Well he is not Drew Bledsoe. The danger as fans is making ridiculous completely unrelated correlations about things because we are not in the know. Smith is a kid who was growing and improving.

What you say may or may not be true and remains to be seen. Would I sign Smith to a multi-year franchise QB contract? No. But balking on this guy because he is Drew Bledsoe revisited is ridiculous.

Mouldsie
01-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Smith has a winning record at least, that includes the majority of his games coming from the days when everyone hated him. Fitz has never had a winning season. His record is around 24-43 I believe. I dont like giving QB's so much credit for the teams W/L records but in this case I think it's just another way to look at Smith as a potential upgrade. And given the circumstances that franchise QB's dont fall off trees and that this year's rookie class isn't looking so hot just adds more to the validity of the idea.

better days
01-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Why? Because he lost his job to injury and that makes him sound like Drew Bledsoe? Well he is not Drew Bledsoe. The danger as fans is making ridiculous completely unrelated correlations about things because we are not in the know. Smith is a kid who was growing and improving.

What you say may or may not be true and remains to be seen. Would I sign Smith to a multi-year franchise QB contract? No. But balking on this guy because he is Drew Bledsoe revisited is ridiculous.

I said I would not mind the Bills signing him on the cheap & let him compete for the starting QB job. But with all the QB needy teams, he will probably want a better deal than that. I would not want to see the Bills overpay for him because I don't think he is worth it.

better days
01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
isnt the projection, and not fact. the fact is smith was productive the past two years, and fitz was not.

The fact is Smith was productive the past two years while playing on a VERY GOOD 49ers team & Fitz was not, playing on a VERY BAD Bills team. IMO, Smith would have done no better the past two years in Buffalo than Fitz did.

cookie G
01-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Smith has a winning record at least, that includes the majority of his games coming from the days when everyone hated him. Fitz has never had a winning season. His record is around 24-43 I believe. I dont like giving QB's so much credit for the teams W/L records but in this case I think it's just another way to look at Smith as a potential upgrade. And given the circumstances that franchise QB's dont fall off trees and that this year's rookie class isn't looking so hot just adds more to the validity of the idea.

Again...he's not being asked to win too many shoot outs.

Over the last 3 years, he's 3-11 in games in which the opposition scores more than 20 points. (and about 0 fer 8 or 9 in the 2 years prior to 2010)

The Bills averaged 27 points against last year.

A guy can't be a game manager when a defense gives up points on nearly every possession. They end up having to score on every possession themselves. They just can't have 2 or 3 scoring drives per game.

Its a lot easier to have a game winning percentage when your defense gives up 7 points.

trapezeus
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM

i'm saying that there are very few free agent qb's who have gone on to take teams to the championship game. even peyton failed this year. it would be an outlier event to expect alex smith to get us a superbowl.

i think the safest bet, to do exactly as you mention, is to offer a 2-3 year deal, inflate the front end a bit if need be but make him easily cutable. pay him now for that right. Then give him no false sense about the position.

"you did good last year. we think we provide alot of the same things in terms of good run game, good receivers and a line that can block. If you can be the accurate solid thinking alex of late, you are ours. if you end up inconsistent, we'll have a rookie pushing for the spot."

i just don't think any team leaves a SB qb exposed. The only one i can think of is Brees and he was starting to light up in SD when his contract was due and the chargers had the top overall pick in QB under the old CBA. They couldn't keep both.

I think expectations are more easily met if you expect him to be an upgrade, but not the solution at qb.

better days
01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
i'm saying that there are very few free agent qb's who have gone on to take teams to the championship game. even peyton failed this year. it would be an outlier event to expect alex smith to get us a superbowl.

i think the safest bet, to do exactly as you mention, is to offer a 2-3 year deal, inflate the front end a bit if need be but make him easily cutable. pay him now for that right. Then give him no false sense about the position.

"you did good last year. we think we provide alot of the same things in terms of good run game, good receivers and a line that can block. If you can be the accurate solid thinking alex of late, you are ours. if you end up inconsistent, we'll have a rookie pushing for the spot."

i just don't think any team leaves a SB qb exposed. The only one i can think of is Brees and he was starting to light up in SD when his contract was due and the chargers had the top overall pick in QB under the old CBA. They couldn't keep both.

I think expectations are more easily met if you expect him to be an upgrade, but not the solution at qb.

Well, like I have said, why would Smith choose to come all the way across the Country to Buffalo & play for a Coach he knows nothing about if he has options closer to home unless it is for a boatload of money that he is not worth.

Mouldsie
01-30-2013, 10:55 PM
If we get the defense in order, do you trust Fitzpatrick to be a game manager? Dude throws away more games than most.

I do not trust anyone in this draft.

If Smith is available I think he's a slight upgrade for us. The pickings are slim out there however.

better days
01-30-2013, 11:07 PM
If we get the defense in order, do you trust Fitzpatrick to be a game manager? Dude throws away more games than most.

I do not trust anyone in this draft.

If Smith is available I think he's a slight upgrade for us. The pickings are slim out there however.

Smith will be available. The question is the PRICE you must pay to get him. Like I said, I don't see why he would want to come to Buffalo unless he got a big payday. I think Moore & Flynn are better options. And Flynn has a two year contract that pays & $5 Mill next year & $6 mill the next year. Smith has a contract that pays him $7.5 Mill plus a $1Mill bonus in March.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
The fact is Smith was productive the past two years while playing on a VERY GOOD 49ers team & Fitz was not, playing on a VERY BAD Bills team. IMO, Smith would have done no better the past two years in Buffalo than Fitz did.

we were 6-10 for 2 years...

what was the 9ers record before smith improved?

trapezeus
01-31-2013, 07:36 AM
if smith is cut, you sign him to a new contract...if he is traded for, you live with the old contract.

like mouldsie said, pickings are slim. if smith costs a pick, i'd pass. but i'd still pick up a free agent qb and ask them to start ahead of the current rookies. i think all the rookikes out there could be good. but most will bust out cause they will be thrown out on bad teams. the bills have a decent offense. as bad as fitz was the bils were putting up 24pts or more, more often than not in last 3 years. and that was with foresaking the run game. unless the rookie has a phenomnal camp, i think it's best to give him the eli treatment, let him take over at midway point and let him finish a broken season. don't let him be the scapegoat on why the season fell apart. let his learning happen in the lost season and give hima fresh season to not ever want to go through a season like his first.

better days
01-31-2013, 07:49 AM
we were 6-10 for 2 years...

what was the 9ers record before smith improved?

When you look at a teams won loss record, you have to look at the ENTIRE team.That said, the 49ers were 6-10 & 8-8 in a MUCH weaker division before 2011 when they improved to 13-3. The big change the 49ers made between 2010 & 2011 was they hired Harbaugh as HC. And I heard John Clayton who knows the NFC West very well living in Seattle, say that Mike Nolan did not like Alex Smith because he did not think he was tough enough.

better days
01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
if smith is cut, you sign him to a new contract...if he is traded for, you live with the old contract.

like mouldsie said, pickings are slim. if smith costs a pick, i'd pass. but i'd still pick up a free agent qb and ask them to start ahead of the current rookies. i think all the rookikes out there could be good. but most will bust out cause they will be thrown out on bad teams. the bills have a decent offense. as bad as fitz was the bils were putting up 24pts or more, more often than not in last 3 years. and that was with foresaking the run game. unless the rookie has a phenomnal camp, i think it's best to give him the eli treatment, let him take over at midway point and let him finish a broken season. don't let him be the scapegoat on why the season fell apart. let his learning happen in the lost season and give hima fresh season to not ever want to go through a season like his first.

Like I said before. Smith had two good seasons playing for Harbaugh. That is his only success in the NFL. There is no guarantee playing on a different team for a different Coach that he will ever play as well again as he has the last two years. And all I have been hearing the last few days is how GOOD the 49ers OL is. That had something to do with Smith's improved play as well.

If the Bills signed him to an incentive laden contract & had him compete for the starting job, I would be fine with that, but to just give him $8.5 Million for the year & hand him the starting job, hell no.