PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Was Going to Root for the Ravens...

The Natrix
01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
That will not be the case now as a result of Flacco's comments.

YardRat
01-29-2013, 05:28 AM
Gotta be careful of what you say when you're under that kind of microscope. I'll still be rooting for Baltimore, though.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-29-2013, 05:42 AM
Did Flacco say it or did his agent say it

The Natrix
01-29-2013, 06:02 AM
I was referring to him basically saying that he is against the superbowl being played in cold weather. He said that if New Jersey wants to host a SB, they need to get a retractable roof.

What a puss.

Mahdi
01-29-2013, 06:41 AM
I was referring to him basically saying that he is against the superbowl being played in cold weather. He said that if New Jersey wants to host a SB, they need to get a retractable roof.

What a puss.

Well it makes sense. You don't want the SB decided by weather. I would rather see a game decided by talent and strategy.

jamze132
01-29-2013, 06:47 AM
I like the idea of the Super Bowl being played in the elements but the NFL or the city isn't going to be as profitable with all of the festivities the week of when it's snowing and 20*.

The Natrix
01-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Well it makes sense. You don't want the SB decided by weather. I would rather see a game decided by talent and strategy.

Overcoming the weather takes talent and good strategy.

EricStratton
01-29-2013, 07:29 AM
The weather in Jersey this week sucks.

It may not affect the game but the SuperBowl isn't just about the game.

Skooby
01-29-2013, 07:39 AM
That crack probably cost him $10-$15 Million in sponsorships, dumbass.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-29-2013, 07:42 AM

no, it diminishes speed, quickness, footing, basically everything in football that it takes to be good.

the product sucks in horrible weather.

pray that its 35 and sunny...

Joe Fo Sho
01-29-2013, 08:09 AM
no, it diminishes speed, quickness, footing, basically everything in football that it takes to be good.

Yeah, and it takes talent and strategy to overcome those things.

Mahdi
01-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Yeah, and it takes talent and strategy to overcome those things.

However some teams are better suited to play in bad weather so its not a level playing field. I would rather see two teams battle it out without weather issues that can benefit one team over another.

Joe Fo Sho
01-29-2013, 08:21 AM
However some teams are better suited to play in bad weather so its not a level playing field. I would rather see two teams battle it out without weather issues that can benefit one team over another.

Well some teams are better suited playing in a dome, it works both ways. The game was meant to be played in the elements.

Mahdi
01-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Well some teams are better suited playing in a dome, it works both ways. The game was meant to be played in the elements.

The issue is not dome or not domed. The issue is cold weather city vs warm weather. Anyone can play well in warm or cool weather but not everyone can play in snow and sleet and freezing temperatures. SF would have a huge advantage playing against Baltimore if it was in Green Bay. In New Orleans both teams are level.

mrbojanglezs
01-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Am I the only one that almost has no interest in who wins this game. These two teams are just blah to me.

better days
01-29-2013, 09:13 AM
The issue is not dome or not domed. The issue is cold weather city vs warm weather. Anyone can play well in warm or cool weather but not everyone can play in snow and sleet and freezing temperatures. SF would have a huge advantage playing against Baltimore if it was in Green Bay. In New Orleans both teams are level.

Why would SF have a huge advantage if the game were played in Green Bay? I think the Ravens would have that advantage playing in the AFC North. And when Peyton Manning won his one Super Bowl with the Colts it was in a downpour in Miami so unless it is a dome, weather can affect the game anywhere.

Joe Fo Sho
01-29-2013, 09:29 AM

Why do both teams need to be level if one has prepared themselves for more than playing in the sunshine in Florida? In your scenario where you think SF would have an advantage in GB, then that's too bad for Baltimore, they should've thought about that.

SquishDaFish
01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Football is a game that should always be played in the elements. Should never be domes at all.

delectrolux
01-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Why do both teams need to be level if one has prepared themselves for more than playing in the sunshine in Florida? In your scenario where you think SF would have an advantage in GB, then that's too bad for Baltimore, they should've thought about that.

Also, teams are built to win in their home stadium, where they play the majority of their games (when they're not playing in Canada). So if your home stadium is in a cold weather open-air stadium, you (theoretically) build your team to win in those conditions. If every Super Bowl is in a dome or warm-weather stadium, then it is totally not even-footing. The teams who play at home in warm weather or a dome will always have an advantage.

Pinkerton Security
01-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Flacco is being a b****...the game is a fall/winter sport, get over it you wimp. And anyone saying it diminishes the game in some way if it is cold, I couldnt agree less...some teams are built to play in domes, some are built to grind it out in the elements...either way, one team is going to get a minor advantage depending on the city chosen to host. Plus, when we build our massive new stadium in 10 years, we will reap the rewards of hosting :jam:

also, to say that it should always be in a warm climate, then why wouldnt you just play all playoff games in a neutral, warm-weather climate? Thats the only way its "fair" right? or how about everyone plays all their regular-season games in warm climates, just to be "fair"?

Mouldsie
01-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Wait, people are making a big deal about this? I thought the most offensive part was his using the word "******ed" inappropriately

Joe Fo Sho
01-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Wait, people are making a big deal about this? I thought the most offensive part was his using the word "******ed" inappropriately

Nobody cares about that.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
I like the idea of the Super Bowl being played in the elements but the NFL or the city isn't going to be as profitable with all of the festivities the week of when it's snowing and 20*.

The weather in Jersey this week sucks.

It may not affect the game but the SuperBowl isn't just about the game.

They've hosted Super Bowls in Indianapolis, Detroit, Minneapolis, etc. The pre-game festivities can be handled regardless of weather. Are you telling me you don't think Chicago, New York, Boston, Denver, etc could host a good outdoor party in winter?

Flacco is being a b****...the game is a fall/winter sport, get over it you wimp. And anyone saying it diminishes the game in some way if it is cold, I couldnt agree less...some teams are built to play in domes, some are built to grind it out in the elements...either way, one team is going to get a minor advantage depending on the city chosen to host. Plus, when we build our massive new stadium in 10 years, we will reap the rewards of hosting :jam:

also, to say that it should always be in a warm climate, then why wouldnt you just play all playoff games in a neutral, warm-weather climate? Thats the only way its "fair" right? or how about everyone plays all their regular-season games in warm climates, just to be "fair"?

That's the thing, teams that gamble and build a team that can't function in cold weather are taking a calculated risk that they won't have to play in any. Why should that be rewarded? When a super bowl is played outdoors, the teams know the site for years in advance and can prepare accordingly. In the playoffs, they can find out they'll be going to an outdoor cold-weather game as little as 6 days in advance.

lmcshadow
01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
According to our President <WEATHER sleet and cold the in playing kid me want I if know further...Dont into look to have we challenge a is>. Weather is something that we have to look into further. I dont know if I want me kid playing in the Cold Sleet and Snow!

Oaf
01-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Guy beat Denver at Mile High in 5Q's with single-digit temperatures. I could hardly throw 30 yards when it was that cold out. If he doesn't want to have a cold-weather SB, it's not because he can't play in it.

TedMock
01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
The guy grew up in New Jersey, played at Pitt and Delaware, now with Baltimore in the AFC North against the likes of Pittsburgh, Cincy and Cleveland. He's not afraid of cold weather. It just sounds like he's on board with Ralph Wilson who once said "Championship games should be played in championship conditions" when asked about the potential of a cold weather superbowl.

Joe Fo Sho
01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
The guy grew up in New Jersey, played at Pitt and Delaware, now with Baltimore in the AFC North against the likes of Pittsburgh, Cincy and Cleveland. He's not afraid of cold weather. It just sounds like he's on board with Ralph Wilson who once said "Championship games should be played in championship conditions" when asked about the potential of a cold weather superbowl.

I disagree with Ralph's definition of 'championship conditions.' Champions shouldn't give a **** about the weather.

imbondz
01-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Can't believe anyone's making a big deal out of any of Flacco's comments. Him saying it's ******ed is hilarious.

Pinkerton Security
01-29-2013, 01:43 PM
According to our President <weather sleet="" and="" cold="" the="" in="" playing="" kid="" me="" want="" i="" if="" know="" further...dont="" into="" look="" to="" have="" we="" challenge="" a="" is="">. Weather is something that we have to look into further. I dont know if I want me kid playing in the Cold Sleet and Snow!

Is this a sarcastic post making fun of the president, or do you really not want your kids playing in the snow?

</weather>

DynaPaul
01-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Football is an all-weather game. Deal with it. They don't cancel games because of heavy rain, snow, heat, or extreme cold and it's always been that way. The championship game should reflect this as well. As far as attendance and festivities go, if you play the game people will come. They are going to draw a big crowd and make money regardless much the same way that the Winter Olympics do.

Typ0
01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
I am pro outdoor games in the northeast for the superbowl.

braddavery
01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Big deal. It's not as though this isn't a new thing. How long has it been since the Super Bowl was played in the cold?

YardRat
01-29-2013, 04:52 PM
I don't mind the idea of playing in the elements, and although I agree to a point that ideal conditions attempt to create as level of a playing field as possible and that should be a required element in any championship game that's one-and-done, I admit it is difficult to pin down what 'ideal' is as some have alluded to.

As to the weather and it's relation to the other festivities surrounding and leading up to the game, there's a reason why Minnesota has hosted only one Super Bowl, and it ain't the dome the game was played in.

Mike
01-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Not always. The weather can take certain elements away from a team to such an extent that they would have a small chance of winning. A great vertical offensive team -which is the focus in today's offenses- would be at a huge disadvantage. The problem with this is that NFL teams are not built for wildcard circumstances; they are not built to win that one potential cold weather game but instead as many games as possible. So here is a list of crazy weather games many of which big underdogs won: http://m.askmen.com/top_10/sports/top-10-bad-weather-nfl-games.html#7

Albany,n.y.
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Flacco is from NJ. I'd like to know what he was asked before I knock his answer. If a player from Buffalo was asked to comment on the possibility of a Super Bowl in Buffalo & he answered the same way would anyone be upset?

better days
01-30-2013, 07:04 AM
I think Hockey should be played outdoors. The Winter Classic is a blast.

Bert102176
01-30-2013, 01:24 PM

I would like to see a SB out in the frozen tundra and in a blizzard

EricStratton
01-30-2013, 01:36 PM
There is nothing the Super Bowl needs more then travel delays due to weather. Add in a cold snowy, rainy (sleet and freezing rain is more likely in Jersey) Friday through Sunday when people are traveling and getting into the stadium and it will be great.

The forecast for the week is crappy and flights will be delayed as a result, if that happens next year it will be an issue.

Plus unlike Buffalo or Green Bay or Detroit this area completely shuts down with the slightest amount of snow.

braddavery
01-30-2013, 01:41 PM
There is nothing the Super Bowl needs more then travel delays due to weather. Add in a cold snowy, rainy (sleet and freezing rain is more likely in Jersey) Friday through Sunday when people are traveling and getting into the stadium and it will be great.

The forecast for the week is crappy and flights will be delayed as a result, if that happens next year it will be an issue.

Plus unlike Buffalo or Green Bay or Detroit this area completely shuts down with the slightest amount of snow.

Exactly. People simply don't think logically about this. You can't have the Super Bowl in a place where it could end up ruining the game for hundreds if not thousands of people going to the game or just visiting the city it's in. What a mess thousands of empty seats during the SB would be due to a storm closing airports.

Joe Fo Sho
01-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Exactly. People simply don't think logically about this. You can't have the Super Bowl in a place where it could end up ruining the game for hundreds if not thousands of people going to the game or just visiting the city it's in. What a mess thousands of empty seats during the SB would be due to a storm closing airports.

God forbid you let the integrity of the game get in the way of people's vacations and tourism money.

EricStratton
01-30-2013, 02:06 PM
God forbid you let the integrity of the game get in the way of people's vacations and tourism money.

How is the integrity of the game at risk at a warm weather site?

Joe Fo Sho
01-30-2013, 02:08 PM
How is the integrity of the game at risk at a warm weather site?

It's not, as long cold weather site's (not domed) have an equal opportunity to host the Superbowl.

Pinkerton Security
01-30-2013, 02:12 PM

Well, actually you can, because they are. So theres that.

trapezeus
01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
all you guys are talking about the actual game, which the NFL doesn't give two ****s about. They only care the profit that can be made off it.

NYC and the ancillary event could be equally as profitable in the new Meadowlands stadium even if sales on tickets go down. However, if the first attempt has a fairly empty stadium because temperatures are ice cold at kickoff at 6pm, the nfl will ditch the idea immediately.

Sellling the world htat this is the event all of america watches is hard when the stadium appears 40% empty. Remember this game has less team fans at it....it's a lot of company types who's dog might not be in the race. if i got sB tickets through work, and went to this superbowl and the weather sucked, i wouldn't sit in my seats the entire time.

there is a lot of risk in tarnishing something that usually gets so much hoopla in the opening minutes. all the camera's flashing, etc. i'll be interested to see how the NYC superbowl experiment plays out. i'm against it. but what do i know.

Personally, i think it'd be amazing if they could allow the best of the two teams in it to host the superbowl. you earned it in my books. so if greenbay goes to the superbowl, they host it.

you don't think the 1991 bills would have destroyed the giants at home for that SB. And they earned it. thye beat the giants in NJ earlier. What was their reward?

braddavery
01-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Well, actually you can, because they are. So theres that.

It's called a figure of speech. I wasn't being literal. If you need me to explain to you what a figure of speech is, say the word.

Joe Fo Sho
01-30-2013, 02:33 PM
It's called a figure of speech. I wasn't being literal. If you need me to explain to you what a figure of speech is, say the word.

Ah yes, my favorite figure of speech. I remember when my grandfather first said it. It was a cold morning in February when we just had the power turned back on. I had just awoke on the couch in front of the fire, my grandfather looked me right in the eye, before even saying good morning, and said "You can't have the Super Bowl in a place where it could end up ruining the game for hundreds if not thousands of people going to the game or just visiting the city it's in."

I remember it to this day.

braddavery
01-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Ah yes, my favorite figure of speech. I remember when my grandfather first said it. It was a cold morning in February when we just had the power turned back on. I had just awoke on the couch in front of the fire, my grandfather looked me right in the eye, before even saying good morning, and said "You can't have the Super Bowl in a place where it could end up ruining the game for hundreds if not thousands of people going to the game or just visiting the city it's in."

I remember it to this day.

Clearly I'm referencing saying that "You can't have..."

It wasn't meant to mean that they LITERALLY CAN'T HAVE. Of course they can do whatever they want. It is an expression of my opinion that they shouldn't. Any other semantics questions?

Extremebillsfan247
01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Joe Flacco just had one of those Joe Biden moments, that's all it was. :lol: But yeah, he isn't the only QB in the NFL that doesn't like playing in cold weather. So I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of it. His answer to the question doesn't surprise me. The only thing I think is that his choice of words could have been better. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with having an adverse opinion to playing in cold weather. JMO

Joe Fo Sho
01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
all you guys are talking about the actual game, which the NFL doesn't give two ****s about. They only care the profit that can be made off it.

NYC and the ancillary event could be equally as profitable in the new Meadowlands stadium even if sales on tickets go down. However, if the first attempt has a fairly empty stadium because temperatures are ice cold at kickoff at 6pm, the nfl will ditch the idea immediately.

Sellling the world htat this is the event all of america watches is hard when the stadium appears 40% empty. Remember this game has less team fans at it....it's a lot of company types who's dog might not be in the race. if i got sB tickets through work, and went to this superbowl and the weather sucked, i wouldn't sit in my seats the entire time.

there is a lot of risk in tarnishing something that usually gets so much hoopla in the opening minutes. all the camera's flashing, etc. i'll be interested to see how the NYC superbowl experiment plays out. i'm against it. but what do i know.

Personally, i think it'd be amazing if they could allow the best of the two teams in it to host the superbowl. you earned it in my books. so if greenbay goes to the superbowl, they host it.

you don't think the 1991 bills would have destroyed the giants at home for that SB. And they earned it. thye beat the giants in NJ earlier. What was their reward?

I understand that the NFL doesn't care about the game, and I think that's the problem. It affects the integrity of the game when they stop caring about these things.

A Superbowl where there would be a home team would be interesting. As long as they don't allow the winner of the pro bowl to decide the home team. Thinking about it, if there is a home team in the Superbowl, and that home team is in a cold weather city, you can bet your ass those seats would be full. No way Buffalo doesn't sell out and pack the stadium if the Bills were in it.

gr8slayer
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
While I don't think he's the best QB in the NFL, there's a team out there that will be willing to pay him like he is. When listing out the best QB's in the league, he'd definitely be in my personal top 5-8.
That will not be the case now as a result of Flacco's comments.

Mouldsie
01-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Didnt realize the opinion of one person about the weather of the SB was such a passionate topic. I think the more neutral the elements the better but I don't know how much I really care. I certainly dont care what Flacco thinks.

X-Era
01-31-2013, 05:32 AM
I pulled the junk out of this thread. Let's please observe the TOS gentleman.