• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Marshall Faulk says Rams 'cheated out of Super Bowl' in loss to Patriots

"Am I over the loss? Yeah, I'm over the loss," Faulk told CSNNE.com's Tom Curran on Tuesday. "But I'll never be over being cheated out of the Super Bowl. That's a different story. I can understand losing a Super Bowl; that's fine … But how things happened and what took place. Obviously, the commissioner gets to handle things how he wants to handle them. But if they wanted us to shut up about what happened, show us the tapes. Don't burn 'em."

Faulk is referring to the Patriots having tape of opposing coaches sending in defensive signals. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell never found evidence that New England had taped a Rams walkthrough in the days leading up to the Super Bowl, and he eventually destroyed the tapes that he had confiscated as part of the investigation.
    "I understand Bill [Belichick] is a great coach," Faulk told Curran. "But No. 13 [Kurt Warner] will tell you ... Mike Martz will tell you ... We had some plays in the red zone that we hadn't ran. I think we got to fourth down -- we ran three plays that we hadn't ran, that Mike drew up for that game. Bill's a helluva coach … we hadn't ran them the whole year [and the Patriots were ready for them]." And the only time that Rams practiced those plays? At the walkthrough.

Faulk, who is from New Orleans, then asked the question that many Saints fans have asked during the Saints' bounty scandal.

"… But am I bitter about how that went? Am I bitter about how the league handled them taping people? If Bountygate was that bad and [Saints coach] Sean [Payton] got suspended for a whole year? If we want to talk about some unfair assessment of how we're assessing things? Man. If you lost a game and your brother cheated you," Faulk continued, "you'll remember that."
    -Bill
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Marshall Faulk says Rams 'cheated out of Super Bowl' in loss to Patriots

faulk....keep preaching...eventually we'll get star's on those "championships" for the patriots.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Sleaziest organization in the league.

Comment

• fluteflakes
        • Jan 2013

The Patriots did something scummy and unfair? Wow, I'm totally shocked. That's never happened before, ever.
        Last edited by fluteflakes; 01-30-2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Jeff1220
          H to the 12:20
          • Jul 2002

Longtime Patriot Kevin Faulk is his cousin too...maybe he knows even more than anyone would expect.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
            Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
            • Jan 2010

at a very minimum, the three sb wins should have a asterisk, and if i was in charge, i would give a sb ring to all three teams that lost...

( especially considering how close the games were)

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

It's a blemish on the game... That's all that can really be said or done about it now.
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

If Lance was stripped of his titles... Well them so should the Patriots.

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

I will never acknowledge the Patriots as Super Bowl Champions prior to spy gate. Cheaters should not be crowned champions. By burning the tapes it is obvious he didn't want things released publicly ever. The Patriots cheated to win. It's not like they blew anyone away in the super bowl. All the games ame down to a few plays that decided the game and in my mind cheating made a difference in each of their victories. Coincidence they have not won since? I don't think so.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by fluteflakes View Post
                    The Patriots did something scummy and unfair? Wow, I'm totally shocked. That's never happened before, ever.
                    I think his issue is more about how the league covered it up by burning the evidence.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

and this, "they are still good" arguement is nonsense. They clearly are cheating at home and his inability to answer any question satisfactorily remains a huge blemish. he'll always be viewed as the guy who couldn't get away from under parcells shadow. and as a result, he cheated

Comment

• Mouldsie
                        • Aug 2012

They won all the SB's by a FG and haven't won since the incident. It matters.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

Cue all the Patriots fan saying that we're all jealous, everybody did it, he only misinterpreted a rule, and spouting quotes by Jimmy Johnson and other coaches who tried to cheat but had a far lower level of success than the airtight Belichick/Adams system.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

the fact that marshall faulk can say this shows how ridiculous the so called investigation went. You look at film that was subsequently burned and you have players and coaches saying, they had plays that were filmed that were stuffed and never run in the season prior. Come on. what did the investigation attempt to do?

it was covering up the black-eye that is that scandal. it is the blacksocks case. but potentially much worse.

watch goodell write a book about it in 10 years and make a crap load of money off it.

Comment

• EricStratton
                              • Jul 2002

The NFL had to choice but to cover it up, the NFL couldn't afford to have the Super Bowl results nullified and how would the NFL partners in Vegas handle it.

I also play it forward to now Bob Craft has this to hold over the league, how bad would it look if he eventually admitted the team cheated and the NFL game them a pass. He still has his millions but the NFL would get a huge black eye.

Comment

Working...
                              X