PDA

View Full Version : Ravens have cap issues & can't sign Boldin or Paul Kruger

Skooby
01-31-2013, 05:47 PM
We could use a top WR / Rushing LB, known variables we wouldn't have to draft:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/31/ravens-will-soon-face-tough-decision-on-anquan-boldin/

YardRat
01-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Boldin is getting a little long in the tooth, but I'd take him in a heartbeat for a couple of seasons. Kruger would become #1 target if he isn't re-signed or tagged. Hell, I'd take Jacoby Jones also, even if it means letting Levitre walk to get all three.

gloveus
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Boldin is getting a little long in the tooth, but I'd take him in a heartbeat for a couple of seasons.

I'd have to pass on Boldin. He makes amazing catches, but that's because he can't get any separation from CBs anymore so he makes plays harder than they should be. Like you said, he's old, the man is 32 and he's only going to get slower. I feel the only way to get any use out of him after this season is to have a very accurate quarterback who is ok with throwing to a completely covered receiver.

ServoBillieves
01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
They'd free up plenty of space for Byrd to replace Reed.

psubills62
02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Boldin isn't a #1 WR anymore and is not the solution for WR. Kruger would be interesting.

CleveSteve
02-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Odd... this article (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy) by Clayton written Jan 8th said the Ratbirds had $15.7 Mil in cap space.

Pro Football Focus lists their free agents (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agency-baltimore-ravens/) here. (Ed Reed, Kruger, Pitta, Dickson, McKinnie, Cary Williams, Ellerbe, and Flacco being the most-relevant)

According to the terrific website X-Era referenced in his thread, Ray Lewis's signing bonus (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/ray-lewis/) was amortized over the first three years of his deal, so him retiring should free up another $6 Million or so in cap space for them, unless there is some other guaranteed money that hasn't been accounted for yet.

Wonder who is right? Did Torrey Smith get a huge extension I didn't hear about? Should be interesting.

Mr. Miyagi
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
You guys are insane. Boldin has never been a speed receiver. He's a big possession receiver and makes all the clutch catches. That's exactly what we need. We already have a speed guy in (potentially) TJ Graham. David Nelson in the slot, Stevie can move around or downfield. Boldin would be an awesome addition.

That said, no way he's leaving a Super Bowl team to come to lowly Buffalo.

trapezeus
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
this is so ideal for a franchise. win a superbowl, jettison all the star players who are too old to pay, start over with a minimum base, but resign the qb to make fans happy.

for baltimore in particular, they are so old from lewis, reed, ray rice (in terms of wear and tear), boldin. It's not the worst thing to do to win a superbowl and gut the team afterwards. and do it classily and have send offs for the players. "we loved having you, best of luck wherever you go, but you'll always be a raven."

Fan expectations are satisfied because they don't think they are sitting on a dynasty. they know they sent all their long term players out on top. Ticket sales will be high and merchandise will fly off the shelves.

Russ brandon is salvating for this moment.

Bill Cody
02-01-2013, 11:33 AM
That said, no way he's leaving a Super Bowl team to come to lowly Buffalo.

Because he's just in it for the chance to win?:scratch:

Skooby
02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
this is so ideal for a franchise. win a superbowl, jettison all the star players who are too old to pay, start over with a minimum base, but resign the qb to make fans happy.

for baltimore in particular, they are so old from lewis, reed, ray rice (in terms of wear and tear), boldin. It's not the worst thing to do to win a superbowl and gut the team afterwards. and do it classily and have send offs for the players. "we loved having you, best of luck wherever you go, but you'll always be a raven."

Fan expectations are satisfied because they don't think they are sitting on a dynasty. they know they sent all their long term players out on top. Ticket sales will be high and merchandise will fly off the shelves.

Russ brandon is salvating for this moment.

It really would make a difference if we grabbed a few top-flight FA's again & a new QB at 8, I buy another jersey.

The King
02-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I dont know anything about Boldins work ethic, but if he's committed he could easily be a factor for at least 2 more seasons.

Bone
02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Boldin would be an awesome pick up. I can't see the bills landing Kruger at all. We have a solid group of pass rushers.

YardRat
02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah, Boldin doesn't need to be a "#1", or consistently create separation downfield...just beat the guy to the ball over the middle, make the tough catch, and be a red zone threat.