• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Te'o and Kuechley... Kuechley just won DROY

Many, including me, liked the thought of landing Luke Keuchley at 10 last year. He wasn't super athletic or flashy but was solid and productive. Some felt it was a reach and he would never be great.

He just won Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly was named as the league's defensive rookie of the year on Saturday.

SEASON
    GP COMB TOTAL AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB
    2012 16 164 103 61 1.0 0 3 9 2 22 11 25 0 8 11 30 0
    Will he ever be as good as Patrick Willis? Probably not. But would he have been a difference maker in the middle of our defense? Yes, I think he would have.

To me Manti Te'o has very similar skills. He's not overly flashy but he's solid overall. He had a bad game in the national championship but his game overall is solid.

At this point, the story appears to be that the guy was just dumb and satisfied to be in a relationship with a "woman" he had never met. Football players don't all have to be intelligent. Especially at LB'er. I think the bizarreness of the story will affect him on draft day more than any real character issue. It looks to me like at the worst he lied to his father and misled the media after he found out that the woman was not real and also not dead. The honesty part raises a concern but i do feel like it was all so embarrassing that I can see someone lying to keep the truth from coming out. Just for fear of the weirdness being uncovered and making him look foolish. He's gone public now, he's owning his part of it. If the current story is true I really don't hold it against him that much.

On the field, I think he can be very productive and the sort of strong leader and competitor that we really need. I see Kuechley's demeanor and skills in him. They seem similar to me. Limited upside but likely to be very solid and productive. I'm good with that.

I would not take Te'o at 8. But, I would be fine taking him in the 2nd if he falls that far and I think it's possible. But I also think it's very possible that he still is drafted in the 1st round. Football wise he's still one of the top 3 ILB's in this draft IMO.

Thoughts?

• bills4ver
    • Sep 2008

Re: Te'o and Kuechley... Kuechley just won DROY

I also wanted Keuchley last year but he was a better prospect than Manti, Keuchley was one of best coming out in many years that CAN cover. Manti is not even close to Keuchely in this area, he will go mid to late 1st imo.

Comment

• HAMMER
      I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
      • Jul 2003

Teo will take the fake every time, no thanks.

Comment

• CleveSteve
        • Apr 2011

How much better did Carolina's D get with the DROY at LB?

Comment

• Jaybird
          • Dec 2005

Teo can not shed the block... he is not an elite LB

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Keuchley's measurables at the combine last year were mostly in or near the elite category, so I'm not sure where the observation comes from that he's not particularly athletic. Maybe he won't be as good as Patrick Willis, but I don't think he's going to be that far off. We'll see where where Teo's measurables end up at the combine, but I'm not expecting him to have the quickness and 40 time that Keuchley or Willis had. Ogletree might be more athletic, and of course he played in the always tougher SEC. He had some off field issues though.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Bert102176
              • Aug 2002

I like Te'o and would like him at 8
              lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• mixxum
                • Mar 2006

Ogletree is Awesome.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mixxum View Post
                  Ogletree is Awesome.
                  Agreed. What are his off-the-field issues?

Comment

• Thief
                    • Sep 2009

Teo is a Mormon, Hawaiian, who plays football. No wondering he wanted to coverup his gay love affair. Anyone who buys his latest version.... I got property in Atlantis for sale.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by bills4ver View Post
                      I also wanted Keuchley last year but he was a better prospect than Manti, Keuchley was one of best coming out in many years that CAN cover. Manti is not even close to Keuchely in this area, he will go mid to late 1st imo.
                      Te'o is the first LBer to have 7 ints in a season since 2001

freshman all-American
                      semi-finalist for the Butkis award in his sophomore season as the best college lb'er in the country (top 16).
                      finalist for the Butkis award in his junior season as the best college lber in the country (top 4).
                      of course he won the Butkis award in his senior season.

We are talking about a LBer who has lead the irish in tackles for 3 straight years... and been no.2 in sacks every season except this one. This season wasn't just a fluke either, that man can cover well... and has collected a lot of ints... and oddly is the most decorated defender in college football history.

This isn't a one year wonder, one year flash in the pan. this guy has brought it year after year, and gotten better in every way imaginable along the way. That's why the national championship was so strange to see. This man has been nothing short of amazing for 4 years... only to play his worst game in college football on the biggest stage.

Just hard to believe. And disturbing. I can only hope the distraction of this girlfriend nonsense is to blame... and that this isn't an indication of what we can expect from him in a big game going forward.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• JoeMama
                        Emotion Sickness
                        • Oct 2002

Alec Ogletree
                        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                          This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
                          Teo will take the fake every time, no thanks.
                          Classic.
                          True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                            Te'o is the first LBer to have 7 ints in a season since 2001

freshman all-American
                            semi-finalist for the Butkis award in his sophomore season as the best college lb'er in the country (top 16).
                            finalist for the Butkis award in his junior season as the best college lber in the country (top 4).
                            of course he won the Butkis award in his senior season.

We are talking about a LBer who has lead the irish in tackles for 3 straight years... and been no.2 in sacks every season except this one. This season wasn't just a fluke either, that man can cover well... and has collected a lot of ints... and oddly is the most decorated defender in college football history.

This isn't a one year wonder, one year flash in the pan. this guy has brought it year after year, and gotten better in every way imaginable along the way. That's why the national championship was so strange to see. This man has been nothing short of amazing for 4 years... only to play his worst game in college football on the biggest stage.

Just hard to believe. And disturbing. I can only hope the distraction of this girlfriend nonsense is to blame... and that this isn't an indication of what we can expect from him in a big game going forward.
                            beat me to it.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

How was Kuechly at covering TE's? Not that it mattered since he was taken before the Bills picked.

Comment

Working...
                              X