PDA

View Full Version : Bills will not tender Donald Jones

X-Era
02-07-2013, 04:30 PM
V-text

Personally I'm glad. He never did enough to be a #2. We have young guys, we intend to get a legit WR to complement Stevie. Let him go.

zone
02-07-2013, 04:31 PM
He will be a free agent come 3/12. Per text

zone
02-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Beat me, can you delete my thread...

fluteflakes
02-07-2013, 04:32 PM
According to a league source, the Buffalo Bills and wide receiver Donald Jones have been working on a contract extension. The two sides hope to have a new deal in place before the NFL free agency period begins in March when Jones is scheduled to become a restricted free agent.

http://wgr550.com/Bills--WR-Jones-working-on-contract-extension/15475391

confirmation.

I like it, we need depth and Nelson is always hurt and Graham couldn't catch a cold barefooted in Alaska.

X-Era
02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
<tbody>

<tbody>
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/templates/FF/images/icon_minipost.gif (http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15667110#15667110)Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:11 am Post subject: Bills, WR Donald Jones working on a contract extension
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/templates/FF/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif (http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=quote&p=15667110)

</tbody>

<tbody>
Quote:

According to a league source, the Buffalo Bills and wide receiver Donald Jones have been working on a contract extension. The two sides hope to have a new deal in place before the NFL free agency period begins in March when Jones is scheduled to become a restricted free agent.

</tbody>

http://wgr550.com/Bills--WR-Jones-working-on-contract-extension/15475391

Confirmation.

I like it, we need depth, and Nelson is always hurt and Graham couldn't catch a cold barefooted in Alaska.

</tbody>

It better be cheaper than the tender or I have no interest.

fluteflakes
02-07-2013, 04:35 PM
It should be, no way a guy who barely averages 10 yards a catch is making much money,

JoeMama
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Somehow, life goes on.

Donald Jones always got love from the coaching staff but never did anything to justify such generous accolades.

You know how Kelvin Sheppard was terrible but Wanny perversely insisted that he deserved to be the starting MLB unchallenged?

To me, Donald Jones was the Kelvin Sheppard of the offense.

One of those guys that has an inexplicable appeal to the coaches and nobody understands why.

fluteflakes
02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
I just hope we go after a WR that wasn't supposed to be a 7th round draft pick this year. There is certainly enough depth in this class. A Tavarres King, Aaron Dobson, hell hopefully Da'Rick Rodgers character issues scare enough people away that he free falls and we can nab him in the later rounds and try to fix him.

X-Era
02-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Somehow, life goes on.

Donald Jones always got love from the coaching staff but never did anything to justify such generous accolades.

You know how Kelvin Sheppard was terrible but Wanny perversely insisted that he deserved to be the starting MLB unchallenged?

To me, Donald Jones was the Kelvin Sheppard of the offense.

One of those guys that has an inexplicable appeal to the coaches and nobody understands why.:clap:

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope we go after a WR that wasn't supposed to be a 7th round draft pick this year. There is certainly enough depth in this class. A Tavarres King, Aaron Dobson, hell hopefully Da'Rick Rodgers character issues scare enough people away that he free falls and we can nab him in the later rounds and try to fix him.
I'm a Patterson fan myself.

X-Era
02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Yep, he's gone:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/02/07/wr-jones-wont-be-back-with-bills/

“We have made the decision not to re-sign Donald,” said Nix. “We’re going in a different direction and this move today gives Donald the opportunity to catch on with another team early on in the process. We thank him for his years with our organization and wish him the best in the future.”

fluteflakes
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Patterson is great, but he's not going to slide out of the first and I don't think we need a #2 WR more than any of our other needs. So I'm more looking at the 2nd-4th round guys.

Ah well, doesn't matter now since he's gone I guess this means we use a 2nd-3rd on one. And finally get a real damn offense that's not based on 7th round picks and UDFA's.

YardRat
02-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Clearing the way for a free agent?

X-Era
02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Patterson is great, but he's not going to slide out of the first and I don't think we need a #2 WR more than any of our other needs. So I'm more looking at the 2nd-4th round guys.

Ah well, doesn't matter now since he's gone I guess this means we use a 2nd-3rd on one. And finally get a real damn offense that's not based on 7th round picks and UDFA's.On the surface I'd agree with not taking one at 8. But my problem is that the areas where we have the biggest needs don't really fit well at 8. QB and LB. At 8, Patterson at WR fits a need and the type of WR were looking for.

CB may be another spot.

We could take BPA but that would likely be a OT, G, or DL and I really don't want further investment in those areas from an early round. The wild card there would be Levitre leaving. But even then a G at 8? Not a big fan of that. Unless Glenn moves inside and we take a LT like Fisher. But Nix and Co like Glenn at LT.

X-Era
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Clearing the way for a free agent?I think so. I think what we decide to do at QB will determine whether we can go after a top tier or maybe even second tier WR.

The first few days will be telling. If we go after a WR it will indicate were not going after a QB from FA in my mind. But it I realize it also depends on what level of WR we go after (money).

fluteflakes
02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
On the surface I'd agree with not taking one at 8. But my problem is that the areas where we have the biggest needs don't really fit well at 8. QB and LB. At 8, Patterson at WR fits a need and the type of WR were looking for.

CB may be another spot.

We could take BPA but that would likely be a OT, G, or DL and I really don't want further investment in those areas from an early round. The wild card there would be Levitre leaving. But even then a G at 8? Not a big fan of that. Unless Glenn moves inside and we take a LT like Fisher. But Nix and Co like Glenn at LT.

The thing is I fully expect Dee Millner to be there at 8, and while we did just spend a first round pick on a corner, it's either pick up one in FA, trade for one, draft another one, or start Aaron Williams for another year. Or maybe Ron Brooks takes a huge step. But in the mean time #2 CB is still a position of need, not great need, but need. We could also go with Jarvis Jones, even with his spinal stenosis he's a phenomenal talent. And guard at #8 I'd be okay with this year because Warmack is a once in a decade Guard prospect.

Though if Tyler Wilson is there (which I think he will be) we take him, in a heart beat.

All that said, if we went Patterson I'd be alright with it, actually pretty happy in fact, you can never have enough field stretching weapons. Especially one with the pure athletic ability that Patterson has.

RedEyE
02-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Well the first roster change for this new staff is a positive one. Addition by subtraction. Jones had stone hands and two concrete blocks on his feet.

THRILLHO
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Weird. I read earlier that we were working on an extension:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/07/bills-donald-jones-working-on-extension/

DraftBoy
02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Cordarelle Patterson

YardRat
02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Devery Henderson.

Typ0
02-07-2013, 06:41 PM
I hear TO is available....

Skooby
02-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I'd love to get Bowe, we need to have known quantities at their respective positions.

Buddo
02-07-2013, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got a FA, and drafted someone. A FA could be a high priced guy, and then we go for a later round WR, or it could be a mid-tier guy, and we draft a WR high.

X-Era
02-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Devery Henderson.Wallace and Bowe will cost a lot. But I'd like either.

fluteflakes
02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
If we cut ties with Fitzy I could see us going QB, if not I think we take a shot with our decent amount of cap space on Wallace or Bowe. Wallace I think goes to the Phish but I think we've got a good chance at Bowe, who's a superstar in his own right.

YardRat
02-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd be OK with Henderson.

TigerJ
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
That's a change. Earlier today I saw news that he's been negotiating a deal with the Bills. Can't say I'll miss him.

fluteflakes
02-07-2013, 07:18 PM
God I'm actually a little excited at the prospect of having a REAL offense.

bigbub2352
02-07-2013, 07:51 PM
good he is an injury prone bum...keep the cuts comin

ServoBillieves
02-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Stevie and Nelson is at least 2/3rds of the puzzle. Graham will be good down the road, so let's add a vet rather than take a flyer on another young unproven.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
we need 2 wrs

kingJofNYC
02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't think we should go out spend for a WR when we need to resign a few of our own. I'd rather have a cheap controllable receiver for 4-5 years, than take a big contract on for that duration when we have to resign our own guys.

BertSquirtgum
02-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Good. He sucks.

The Jokeman
02-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Cordarelle Patterson

I have a feeling if he runs a sub 4.5 forty at the combine he won't be available at pick 8. As he could wind up at pick 4 to the Eagles.

Oaf
02-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Guy goes from 2-year #2 WR sold to us as "starting-caliber" to cut. This is Buffalo.

Bert102176
02-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Personally I think our first pick is a WR

acehole
02-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Clearing the way for a free agent?

Yes.

Bert102176
02-08-2013, 08:55 AM
I have a feeling if he runs a sub 4.5 forty at the combine he won't be available at pick 8. As he could wind up at pick 4 to the Eagles.

Eagles need OL or D too much to take a wr that they have 3 good ones at the position already

Pinkerton Security
02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I'd love to get Bowe, we need to have known quantities at their respective positions.

Id take Bowe or Wallace but Wallace has the deep speed I'd like opposite Stevie.

trapezeus
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
i liked jones. he made a lot of tough catches. i would have liked to see him with a remotely accurate qb. he was thrown into big hits and required to make bigger catches than perhaps the stats show.

i hope he goes on to be effective. IF the bills want a FA to replace him, great. if they are looking to find another stevie in the 7th round/undrafted areas, i'm very skeptical.

we'll see how they do this.

Pinkerton Security
02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
i liked jones. he made a lot of tough catches. i would have liked to see him with a remotely accurate qb. he was thrown into big hits and required to make bigger catches than perhaps the stats show.

i hope he goes on to be effective. IF the bills want a FA to replace him, great. if they are looking to find another stevie in the 7th round/undrafted areas, i'm very skeptical.

we'll see how they do this.

when did he ever make a tough catch? i can barely remember him making ANY catches, let alone catches of significance

OpIv37
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
I actually hope we don't re-sign him because it will force the FO to look elsewhere for receivers.

If they sign him they have their built-in excuse: " we addressed the WR position by re-signing Donald Jones. Given the right tools, we feel he can be really successful in this league playing opposite Stevie Johnson."

Mahdi
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Im almost certain that this is what happened:

Bills decided to approach Jones and his agent to sign a long-term contract rather than tender him for 1 year.

Once they start negotiations Jones and his agent ask for an insane amount of money that doesn't fit his production so far

The Bills basically laugh and not only leave the negotiating table, but as a matter of setting the tone and precedent of a new regime they tell him that they won't even negotiate further and publicly declare that Jones can get lost since Buffalo was patient with him, endured his injuries and then gave him a starting shot and now he asks for crazy money he hasn't earned.

Mr. Miyagi
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Im almost certain that this is what happened:

Bills decided to approach Jones and his agent to sign a long-term contract rather than tender him for 1 year.

Once they start negotiations Jones and his agent ask for an insane amount of money that doesn't fit his production so far

The Bills basically laugh and not only leave the negotiating table, but as a matter of setting the tone and precedent of a new regime they tell him that they won't even negotiate further and publicly declare that Jones can get lost since Buffalo was patient with him, endured his injuries and then gave him a starting shot and now he asks for crazy money he hasn't earned.
I don't think these thing work that way. This is a business, doesn't work on grudges like that.

Agent probably leaked about the negotiation in attempt to show that Jones is wanted and to gauge market interest. The Bills probably never meant to extend with him at all. To leave no ambiguity, they took a step to lay it all out on the table and allow Jones to move on.

That's how I think it happened.

kishoph
02-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Well the first roster change for this new staff is a positive one. Addition by subtraction. Jones had stone hands and two concrete blocks on his feet.

He dropped 3 passes last year and caught over 61% of passes thrown his way, which is a high number, 37.7 of his catches also accounted for 1st downs, also a high number. Sure the Bills could use a top receiver, but Jones wasn't a scrub.

The Jokeman
02-09-2013, 10:16 AM

To be Henderson is a lateral move ie change for the sake of change. Yes he offers a little more speed than Jones and perhaps a better understanding of the new offense but we are sacrificing a little size and getting a little older. Not a bad move but I think if we add him he fits more of a #3 WR mold and would still need to get a guy in the early part of the draft to be a #2 and/or eventually step in as a #1.

Thief
02-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Jones seriously was not that good. He had no business being a No. two, at all. He did get better though as time went on. I would bet he wanted to get paid as a number two, because that was his role, but honestly should never have been one, and should not be paid like one. So, the Bills basically lost a WR that had potential and was improving because they gave him way too much playing time to begin with. Stupid agents will use anything to try any get more money.

The Bills did not tender him a one year offer becasue he wasn't even worth the amount required to pay him for that tender. That is why they tried working out a multi year deal that worked for both sides and was more fitting. Instead this dumb ass decided to try elsewhere when had he went to a different team off jump, he would probably already be out of the league.

kishoph
02-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Henderson played in 15 games last year starting 9 of them and had 22 receptions with 1 TD, with Drew Brees throwing him the ball. Jones played in 12 games, started 10 of them and had 41 receptions with 4 TD's, with Fitzpatrick throwing him the ball. Not really an upgrade, the idea is to get better players.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
so our wrs are

stevie johnson
tj graham
david nelson
marcus easley
brad smith...

we need a number 2 bad

YardRat
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Henderson played in 15 games last year starting 9 of them and had 22 receptions with 1 TD, with Drew Brees throwing him the ball. Jones played in 12 games, started 10 of them and had 41 receptions with 4 TD's, with Fitzpatrick throwing him the ball. Not really an upgrade, the idea is to get better players.

Oh, c'mon kish...are you really going to go down the stat road?

Henderson also had in front of him, target-wise, Colston, Graham, Moore and Sproles. Two 1000-yders, one of the top 2-3 receiving TE's in the entire league, and one of the best all-purpose backs in the league. Jones had....Stevie...maybe Chandler, and the oft-referred to as extremely under-utilized Spiller who really can't count if he's not on the field.

Hell, the Bills put decent money on the table for Meachem just last year, coming off 40, 620 and 6.

Just for the record, I'm not contending that Henderson would be a huge upgrade, or the answer at #2 like a Bowe or Wallace could be, but absent of a big free agent signing at WR I would, as I said earlier, take Henderson and the risk that he is at least more productive than Jones.

kishoph
02-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Oh, c'mon kish...are you really going to go down the stat road?

Henderson also had in front of him, target-wise, Colston, Graham, Moore and Sproles. Two 1000-yders, one of the top 2-3 receiving TE's in the entire league, and one of the best all-purpose backs in the league. Jones had....Stevie...maybe Chandler, and the oft-referred to as extremely under-utilized Spiller who really can't count if he's not on the field.

Hell, the Bills put decent money on the table for Meachem just last year, coming off 40, 620 and 6.

Just for the record, I'm not contending that Henderson would be a huge upgrade, or the answer at #2 like a Bowe or Wallace could be, but absent of a big free agent signing at WR I would, as I said earlier, take Henderson and the risk that he is at least more productive than Jones.

Sure stats don't tell everything, but he went in as the Saints #2 WR and couldn't produce, there's a reason he wasn't targeted more. He's over 30 and on the downside of an average career, he's certainly not a # 2 and with David Nelson on the Bills, he wouldn't be the #3. I just believe that it would be a waste to bring him in. As far as Bowe and Wallace, I can't see them coming to the Bills either, either because of ridiculous money (Bowe) or resigning with their current team. If Greg Jennings is over his injuries I like to see the Bills try to get him, but he doesn't fit the big WR type the Bills are said to be looking for. I don't know if there's a #1 or #2 out there in FA other than the big names, releasing Jones might have been a mistake (unless he was asking for crazy money), or maybe the Bills already have a plan. If they want big, maybe they should look at Mike Williams (don't laugh), if he could lose 30 lbs, he might be an answer for a big red zone guy, that would probably come very cheap.

YardRat
02-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Sure stats don't tell everything, but he went in as the Saints #2 WR and couldn't produce, there's a reason he wasn't targeted more.

IMO the reason is (similar to Jones in Blo, actually) even though he listed at '#2', he certainly wasn't the #2 target with Graham, Moore and Sproles on the field also, and that crew is a helluva lot more talented and capable of producing than the Bills.

He's over 30 and on the downside of an average career, he's certainly not a # 2 and with David Nelson on the Bills, he wouldn't be the #3.

This is kind of related to my response above. He could fill the #2 position, but that wouldn't make him the #2 target.

I just believe that it would be a waste to bring him in.

Fair enough. It's not like he's at the top of my list and I'm lobbying to get him in a Bill's uniform. IMO a decent, reasonably priced option, that's all.

As far as Bowe and Wallace, I can't see them coming to the Bills either, either because of ridiculous money (Bowe) or resigning with their current team. If Greg Jennings is over his injuries I like to see the Bills try to get him, but he doesn't fit the big WR type the Bills are said to be looking for. I don't know if there's a #1 or #2 out there in FA other than the big names, releasing Jones might have been a mistake (unless he was asking for crazy money), or maybe the Bills already have a plan. If they want big, maybe they should look at Mike Williams (don't laugh), if he could lose 30 lbs, he might be an answer for a big red zone guy, that would probably come very cheap.

Yeah, Bowe and Wallace are probably pipe dreams. If Jennings goes anywhere, it'll most likely be Miami. He's one of those guys that I'm not all over, but wouldn't ***** if we signed him to a reasonable deal.

I won't laugh at M.Williams, hell I'm not averse to kicking anybody's tires at the right price.

All the afore-mentioned names aside, we both probably know what's really going to happen in FA...we'll end up signing somebody like Louis Murphy or Ramses Barden, anyway.

justasportsfan
02-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Cordarelle Patterson

I'll take this guy with our 8th pick. IMO, he's this years Spiller at the wr position. Dynamic and can do it all. this guy can grow with whoever we pick at qb when we trade back in the 1st rd. My guess is Nassib.

Mahdi
02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I'll take this guy with our 8th pick. IMO, he's this years Spiller at the wr position. Dynamic and can do it all. this guy can grow with whoever we pick at qb when we trade back in the 1st rd. My guess is Nassib.

Would rather have Terrance Williams or Hopkins.

justasportsfan
02-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Would rather have Terrance Williams or Hopkins.

only reason why I'm guessing he's it because he can catch, run and return kicks , just like Spiller. I also think Marrone could use him in several ways in what they say is a multi system .

Mahdi
02-12-2013, 07:21 AM
only reason why I'm guessing he's it because he can catch, run and return kicks , just like Spiller. I also think Marrone could use him in several ways in what they say is a multi system .

I prefer Williams because he is a big physical receiver that can run and also high point the ball. We need a receiver like that. Patterson is a bit raw.