PDA

View Full Version : Bad News: We could be stuck with Fitzpatrick in 2013. Here's why

Extremebillsfan247
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
The Bills are 16.7 million dollars under the cap. Now, whether they keep, or release Fitzpatrick, it's a hit towards that cap of 10 million dollars or more. Even though keeping him on the roster is slightly more expensive at 10.45 million, the Bills with this new CBA came close to handcuffing themselves to this contract. An example of this is that even if they cut Fitzpatrick and start a rookie QB from the outset, They will still be on the hook for that 10 million plus what ever they pay for that rookie depending on which round he is drafted. This will eat away at that 16.7 million whether Fitzpatrick is here or not. In the past, pre-New CBA this would have been a monstrous issue, and even though it's not that big of one now, it's still a problem because of the amount of cap space left to sign other players. It's a conundrum that the Bills are going to have a tough time dealing with. It will be interesting as free agency opens up to see how this all plays out. Don't be surprised if the Bills keep him at least for 2013 in hopes that which ever rookie they do draft, can get the job done as our new starting QB. This isn't to say that the Bills will keep Fitzpatrick, but that the possibility is more likely than unlikely that they do. I'm just glad I'm not in Buddy Nix's shoes right now. lol JMO

Bangarang
02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
As long as he doesn't play I don't care.

better days
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't see the Bills cutting Fitz to sign another QB equally as MEDIOCRE as Fitz such as Alex Smith & pay him money as well as the money owed to Fitz.

fluteflakes
02-08-2013, 12:44 AM
He can be on the roster, that's perfectly fine and I'm honestly expecting it. Just so long as he doesn't actually PLAY. Here's hoping we manage to trade him.

X-Era
02-08-2013, 05:29 AM
The Bills are 16.7 million dollars under the cap. Now, whether they keep, or release Fitzpatrick, it's a hit towards that cap of 10 million dollars or more. Even though keeping him on the roster is slightly more expensive at 10.45 million, the Bills with this new CBA came close to handcuffing themselves to this contract. An example of this is that even if they cut Fitzpatrick and start a rookie QB from the outset, They will still be on the hook for that 10 million plus what ever they pay for that rookie depending on which round he is drafted. This will eat away at that 16.7 million whether Fitzpatrick is here or not. In the past, pre-New CBA this would have been a monstrous issue, and even though it's not that big of one now, it's still a problem because of the amount of cap space left to sign other players. It's a conundrum that the Bills are going to have a tough time dealing with. It will be interesting as free agency opens up to see how this all plays out. Don't be surprised if the Bills keep him at least for 2013 in hopes that which ever rookie they do draft, can get the job done as our new starting QB. This isn't to say that the Bills will keep Fitzpatrick, but that the possibility is more likely than unlikely that they do. I'm just glad I'm not in Buddy Nix's shoes right now. lol JMOTheres reports that we save 4.5 mill on the cap if we cut him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/68811/bills-can-save-millions-by-cutting-fitzpatrick

sdbillsfan2
02-08-2013, 05:57 AM
I have nothing against the guy. I just don't want him to play and be our best option. I'd rather lose with a rookie then lose the same old way we've done for far to long now. There is better talent out there. The real test will be if our scouting dept will finally get their Sh#t together and find it.

Night Train
02-08-2013, 05:59 AM
I think if our new coach was told he must keep Fitz strictly for cap reasons, he would quit and I wouldn't blame him.

That's complete lunacy. Accountants don't win games. Players and coaches do.

Yasgur's Farm
02-08-2013, 06:09 AM
While it's a wash cap wise for 2013, cutting him makes sense for the 2014 cap and beyond.

Let's say he stays... That's $7.5M cash salary this year + $3M amortized stuff = $10.5M + $7-8M still remaining in amortized money that will need to be paid when he's released in 2014 = $17.5-18.5M total combined 2013 & 2014 cap hits.

However... If released now, total costs would be $10M amortized to be paid in full... None of that is additional actual cash.

coastal
02-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Is it too early to cut Fools Gold?

ServoBillieves
02-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Is it too early to cut Fools Gold?

Yes.

TigerJ
02-08-2013, 07:26 AM
According to reports, Buffalo is negotiating with Fitz's agent, presumably to make his contract more palatable to the Bills. That is an indication at least that the Bills think he may be on the roster in September. If Fitz declines to take a cut in pay it will be interesting to see what the Bills do. In any case, I'd rather he be gone, but if the Bills end up with a "real" quarterback of the future on the roster in the up coming season, I can live with Fitz a little longer. I'd like to see that QB of the future playing as soon as possible though.

tampabay25690
02-08-2013, 07:30 AM
If Fitz doesn't restructure I think he is good as gone.
If Fitz stays then the Bills will draft a QB and let Fitz and the rookie fight for the starting job.
If Fitz stays they will not get a Alex Smith and have 2 guys making that much money!

better days
02-08-2013, 08:36 AM
If Fitz doesn't restructure I think he is good as gone.
If Fitz stays then the Bills will draft a QB and let Fitz and the rookie fight for the starting job.
If Fitz stays they will not get a Alex Smith and have 2 guys making that much money!

Even if the Bills cut Fitz, they would owe him money. From a financial standpoint, the best thing would be to get Fitz to restructure. I would not mind him as a BACK UP.

OpIv37
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
I think if our new coach was told he must keep Fitz strictly for cap reasons, he would quit and I wouldn't blame him.

That's complete lunacy. Accountants don't win games. Players and coaches do.
But given this team's history, do you honestly trust them not to make decisions based solely on the bottom line? I don't. There are some recent signs that Ralph is loosening the purse strings, but not enough to she'd the "cheap" label yet.

Beyond that, how much dead cap are we willing to tolerate?

PTI
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
I am not sure my wife would bear to even let me watch the Bills next year for how much I despise Fitz being the Bills starting QB. I am not a tolerable person on many Sundays during football. She might even cancel our DirectTV outright if she hears word Fitz is on the team still.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
I see reports that we would save like 4.5 million if he is cut?

WHICH IS IT?

Who can confirm?

JoeMama
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Fitz is a fantastic backup albeit an expensive one.

Please football gods, let one of the sorry looking QBs in this year's draft be a diamond in the rough.

Yasgur's Farm
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM

WHICH IS IT?

Who can confirm?June 1st designation stuff. I think he gets his $3M roster bonus... Then he gets cut, saving the Bills his $4.5M 2013 salary. But they still have to count 2013's portion of the amortized stuff... Plus, they have to count all of the remaining amortized stuff in 2014.

I personally don't think it's worth it... That $3M roster bonus is actual cash.

tampabay25690
02-08-2013, 01:10 PM

WHICH IS IT?

Who can confirm?

YES we would save $4.5 mill if cut

fluteflakes
02-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Fitz is a fantastic backup albeit an expensive one.

Please football gods, let one of the sorry looking QBs in this year's draft be a diamond in the rough.

There are guys that could be, here's willing for the first time in... ever. We actually GET one of them.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-08-2013, 02:18 PM
i dont really think its " bad news"..

i dont mind fitz as a backup, hes probably the best backup out there.

we just need to take a nice prospect like geno/barkley/wilson/glennon/manuel at 8...

- - - Updated - - -

i would also draft a qb who has some talent in rd 5 or 6

SABURZFAN
02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
OBD should have listened to Hurkey.

PTI
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
What in the world makes Fitz a good backup? He is a turnover machine, he is the worst possible type of backup you can have. He has shown he fails all the time in key situations. He is clearly one of the worst backups possible to have.

Yasgur's Farm
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
YES we would save $4.5 mill if cut
It's not a yes or no answer... See my post directly before yours.

June 1st designation stuff. I think he gets his $3M roster bonus... Then he gets cut, saving the Bills his $4.5M 2013 salary. But they still have to count 2013's portion of the amortized stuff... Plus, they have to count all of the remaining amortized stuff in 2014.

I personally don't think it's worth it... That $3M roster bonus is actual cash.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
What in the world makes Fitz a good backup? He is a turnover machine, he is the worst possible type of backup you can have. He has shown he fails all the time in key situations. He is clearly one of the worst backups possible to have.

he beat the pats and has scored almost 400 pts in a season. the bar isnt that high man...

ServoBillieves
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Not even sticking up for Fitz, but are you joking? The guy, even when being with terrible teams, has always thrown more impressive passes than interceptions, also more touchdowns. I'd agree if you were talking about him as a starter, but if you're talking about him as a backup being terrible, well... there's no other way around it. You're a ****ing moron. He's what you absolutely want in a BACKUP, not a starter. Stop licking the floor and take a look at what you're talking about. Great backup, not a starter.

TigerJ
02-08-2013, 06:00 PM

WHICH IS IT?

Who can confirm? Oh Clumpy, where are you?

PTI
02-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Not even sticking up for Fitz, but are you joking? The guy, even when being with terrible teams, has always thrown more impressive passes than interceptions, also more touchdowns. I'd agree if you were talking about him as a starter, but if you're talking about him as a backup being terrible, well... there's no other way around it. You're a ****ing moron. He's what you absolutely want in a BACKUP, not a starter. Stop licking the floor and take a look at what you're talking about. Great backup, not a starter.

He sucked as a backup for the Rams and Bengals and he will suck as a backup for whoever he plays with next year, you are dead wrong. He is terrible.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-09-2013, 12:19 AM
He sucked as a backup for the Rams and Bengals and he will suck as a backup for whoever he plays with next year, you are dead wrong. He is terrible.

dude, he beat the pats and almost scored 400 pts. hes quite better than he was 6 years ago man... you have to be realistic. everybody doesnt have steve young as the backup and steve bono as the third stringer...

there is a salary cap dude

Extremebillsfan247
02-09-2013, 04:06 AM
Theres reports that we save 4.5 mill on the cap if we cut him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/68811/bills-can-save-millions-by-cutting-fitzpatrick They would have to do that before his bonus is paid in March. Being that this is a new coaching staff with evaluation of personnel still needing to be conducted, that's unlikely. At the time that story by James Walker came out, Chan Gailey was still the Bills HC. A lot has changed within this organization since then, not only at the coaching level, but in the front office as well. That in of itself changes things.

Extremebillsfan247
02-09-2013, 04:40 AM
They would have to do that before his bonus is paid in March. Being that this is a new coaching staff with evaluation of personnel still needing to be conducted, that's unlikely. At the time that story by James Walker came out, Chan Gailey was still the Bills HC. A lot has changed within this organization since then, not only at the coaching level, but in the front office as well. That in of itself changes things. The underlined portion of this is actually wrong. Apologies. If Fitzpatrick is released before his bonus of 3 million is paid on the 2nd day of the league year, the Bills will have to count 10 million towards the cap. So the actual savings by cutting him is only .45 million according to Tim Graham, and not 4.5 as James Walker points out. This is a quote from a Tim Graham article covering the same topic 2 days after Walker posted his.

"Fitzpatrick is due a $3 million roster bonus in March. If he gets cut before that bonus is paid, then he will count $10 million against the Bills’ salary cap in 2013. That's a lot, but not so much that he will have to be retained.
If Fitzpatrick is on the roster, his cap number for 2013 will be $10.45 million."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/12/fitz-has-received-21-million-of-deal.html

better days
02-09-2013, 08:13 AM
They would have to do that before his bonus is paid in March. Being that this is a new coaching staff with evaluation of personnel still needing to be conducted, that's unlikely. At the time that story by James Walker came out, Chan Gailey was still the Bills HC. A lot has changed within this organization since then, not only at the coaching level, but in the front office as well. That in of itself changes things.

Yeah, here is the change, Fitz does not have a HC that is in love with him like Chan was. The reports are all Bills Coaches are tirelessly looking at film & evaluating all the players on the roster. I think they will know if they want to keep Fitz another year or let him go before March first.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-09-2013, 08:51 AM

Look dude, fitz sucks. but i do remember the losman/edwards, 120 yd passing games, todd collins.

for the love of god, just keep fitz as a backup. the game is at least watchable...

coastal
02-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Ok... So were attempting to renegotiate with Fitz. If so, he competes with a rookie.

Tyler Wilson or Ryan Nassib won't make it past the 8 spot.

Yasgur's Farm
02-09-2013, 11:43 AM
The underlined portion of this is actually wrong. Apologies. If Fitzpatrick is released before his bonus of 3 million is paid on the 2nd day of the league year, the Bills will have to count 10 million towards the cap. So the actual savings by cutting him is only .45 million according to Tim Graham, and not 4.5 as James Walker points out. This is a quote from a Tim Graham article covering the same topic 2 days after Walker posted his.

"Fitzpatrick is due a $3 million roster bonus in March. If he gets cut before that bonus is paid, then he will count $10 million against the Bills’ salary cap in 2013. That's a lot, but not so much that he will have to be retained.
If Fitzpatrick is on the roster, his cap number for 2013 will be $10.45 million."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/12/fitz-has-received-21-million-of-deal.html

This is 100% true. But if they pay him his bonus, and cut him after June 1st, they will not have to count his ~$4.5M salary against the 2013 cap. They will also not have to count the remainder of his amortized bonuses until 2014 cap.

The good... $4.5M 2013 cap savings.
The bad... $3M cash out the window and $7-8M against 2014 cap.

Yasgur's Farm
02-09-2013, 12:16 PM
The best cap scenario I can think of is a renegotiation of his remaining 5 years. The $10M is already amortized and can't be eliminated.

However, If they renegotiated his last 5 years to look like ...
5 year $11M deal = $3M guaranteed sign bonus + $8M non-guaranteed base salary...
2013 $3M sign bonus + $1M salary - $3.6M cap hit
2014 $1M salary - $3.6M cap hit - $10.4M dead cap
2015 $2M salary - $4.6M cap hit - $7.8M dead cap
2016 $2M salary - $4.6M cap hit - $5.2M dead cap
2017 $2M salary - $4.6M cap hit - $2.6M dead cap

Puts him more in line with a vet back-up salary. He gets to collect $1-4M more in 2013 opposed to being cut in any scenario.