PDA

View Full Version : Chargers, Lions interested in Levitre?

YardRat
02-09-2013, 03:53 PM
http://sidelionreport.com/2013/02/09/detroit-lions-free-agent-target-andy-levitre/

It’s no wonder that Levitre’s name would come up in Lions circles. They have a need at guard, Martin Mayhew (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayhMa20.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-sidelionreport.com) has said the team would be a player in free agency and new running game coach Curtis Modkins spent time working with the running game in Buffalo.

Levitre is already on record as saying he will shop for the best deal on the free agent market.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/09/nfl-rumors-san-diego-chargers-to-go-after-andy-levitre/

According to ESPN’s Bill Williamson, “The San Diego Chargershttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/09/nfl-rumors-san-diego-chargers-to-go-after-andy-levitre/#) may pursue Buffalo Bills (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/teams/buffalo-bills/) impending free-agent OG Andy Levitre if he becomes available this off-season.” Levitre started all 64 games for Buffalo from 2009-2012 and was named to an NFL (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/) All-Rookie team in 2009.

Joe D’Alessandris is San Diego’s new offensive line coach and hehas experience working with Levitre in Buffalo.

Lexwhat
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Letting him leave would be one of the worst moves this team has made in years. Keep Levitre, and let the often-injured Eric Wood walk next season if money is an issue. We can't just let a young core player leave in his prime.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-09-2013, 06:02 PM
rinehart is almost just as good. i dont mind it

MikeInRoch
02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
"Letting him leave". Buffalo is basically powerless to prevent it.

Bert102176
02-09-2013, 07:48 PM
rinehart is almost just as good. i dont mind it

Rinehart is not that good, we screwed up trading away peters and losing levitri go would get just as much a screw up

Lefty2985
02-09-2013, 08:07 PM
I can understand letting him go. Seriously though peters is always hurt and was big time lazy. We got the better deal on that end

clumping platelets
02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Are you prepared to pay Levitre $9-10 million per season? Thta's what it will likely take to keep him off the market

Generalissimus Gibby
02-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Sign LeVitre and Byrd to long term contracts, we need both to be good.

YardRat
02-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Are you prepared to pay Levitre $9-10 million per season? Thta's what it will likely take to keep him off the market

No. There isn't a G in the entire league worth that kind of money.

Fixxxer
02-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Until we have a franchise QB we can afford to pay good players. We should be creative with the cap money and bonus money and this can be done, we need to keep both Byrd and Levitre.

coastal
02-10-2013, 08:19 AM
No. There isn't a G in the entire league worth that kind of money.
Or a defensive lineman who's worth $100 million.

better days
02-10-2013, 08:22 AM
"Letting him leave". Buffalo is basically powerless to prevent it.

Buffalo is not really powerless. The should sign Levitre to a long term contract, or they could tag him.

Fixxxer
02-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Buffalo is not really powerless. The should sign Levitre to a long term contract, or they could tag him.

We would be better of giving Byrd the franchise tag and sign Levitre to market value. The guard tag is like paying him left tackle money.

better days
02-10-2013, 08:33 AM
We would be better of giving Byrd the franchise tag and sign Levitre to market value. The guard tag is like paying him left tackle money.

I agree, the Bills should sign Levitre to a long term contract.

Meathead
02-10-2013, 08:44 AM
if the bills let jonas jennings walk i am done with this team

Lexwhat
02-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Yes. A reference point is the Patriots paying Logan Mankins $8.5 million a year with $30 million guaranteed... Carl Nicks got about the same amount guaranteed, with about $9.5 million per year. So like you said, Levitre will earn between $9-$10 million.

If we spent all this time and effort building our O-Line for the past few years, what's the point of just letting Levitre leave and creating more holes on our team?

We are not the New Orleans Saints, where we have all-stars all over the place and can't afford to pay a Guard.

Maybe the Bills should have locked up Levitre beforehand, instead of waiting till now. Pathetic management.

YardRat
02-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Hypothetical scenario...here are the two options available...

Re-sign Levitre, tag Byrd, lose Johnson, McKelvin, K.Moore and Rhinehart.

Let Levitre go, tag Byrd, re-sign Johnson, McKelvin, K.Moore and Rhinehart.

cookie G
02-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Hypothetical scenario...here are the two options available...

Re-sign Levitre, tag Byrd, lose Johnson, McKelvin, K.Moore and Rhinehart.

Let Levitre go, tag Byrd, re-sign Johnson, McKelvin, K.Moore and Rhinehart.

Keep your best lineman, one of the best in the NFL at his position or...4 2nd stringers.

What to do, what to do....

YardRat
02-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Keep your best lineman, one of the best in the NFL at his position or...4 2nd stringers.

What to do, what to do....

Depth is irrelevant?

cookie G
02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Depth is irrelevant?

Weellll...when you're talking about dumping one of your best players, one that will most likely not be replaced with comparable quality..

...quality wins out over quantity.

At least it does in this case, with the players you listed.

3 2nd stringers from a bottom 5 defense and a practice squad OL. I'm sorry, what are we missing?

I thought there was supposed to be a "culture change" with this team.

YardRat
02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Weellll...when you're talking about dumping one of your best players, one that will most likely not be replaced with comparable quality..

...quality wins out over quantity.

At least it does in this case, with the players you listed.

3 2nd stringers from a bottom 5 defense and a practice squad OL. I'm sorry, what are we missing?

I thought there was supposed to be a "culture change" with this team.

Well, we've been missing adequate coaching, especially on the defense, but supposedly that has been rectified.

One of the common complaints over the last 10-15 years has been talent...it's also been lack of depth. If the Bills pony up big bucks for one guy, an interior offensive lineman to boot, and have to sacrifice 4-5 depth players to afford it, what happens when somebody goes down?

Are you going to ***** if KW or MD go down and the elevated starter is somebody else's scrub or a 7th round pick because they couldn't afford to keep Johnson?
Are you going to ***** when the team uses a high draft pick to obtain a CB/KR to replace McKelvin?
Are you going to ***** when Anderson is still starting at DE, or Kelsay still on the squad, because they couldn't afford to lose more bodies on the outside?
Are you going to ***** next season when the team can't afford to keep Byrd because they ponied up for Levitre this season?

Maybe you will, maybe you won't...but we both know what many other's responses would be.

Guards are the easiest position to replace in the trenches, including both sides of the ball. Levitre may be good, but he isn't 9-10mil / year great.

gonzo1105
02-10-2013, 01:21 PM
I am also in the camp that we will not resign Levitre. I fully expect the Bills tag Jairus Byrd. I know people will go nuts but I could also see the Bills going very secondary heavy in the draft this year. I mean legit they need 2 CB's and a SS arguably. Levitre is too much money for a Guard, and we could easily get someone like Brandon Moore who might be a step below but would be much cheaper.

cookie G
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Well, we've been missing adequate coaching, especially on the defense, but supposedly that has been rectified.

One of the common complaints over the last 10-15 years has been talent...it's also been lack of depth. The problem with this team has been rewarding mediocrity.

And you want to let that talent go? Correct?

If the Bills pony up big bucks for one guy, an interior offensive lineman to boot, and have to sacrifice 4-5 depth players to afford it, what happens when somebody goes down?

Again, it depends on the players. And it need not be 4 or 5.

Are you going to ***** if KW or MD go down and the elevated starter is somebody else's scrub or a 7th round pick because they couldn't afford to keep Johnson?

A 31 year old very average reserve DT on the worst run D in the NFL. Made $3 million last year. Didn't we draft this Carrington guy to replace him? Did we use a 2nd on this Troupe guy to replace him? We need to pay him another $3 million, plus them?

Are you going to ***** when the team uses a high draft pick to obtain a CB/KR to replace McKelvin?

Didn't this team just use the 10th pick in the draft to replace McLovin?
Or was it the 2nd pick of the 2nd rd to replace him?
Or was it Ron Brooks in the 4th last year?
There are so many of his "replacements" its tough to keep track.

Why would you need a high draft pick to replace the 3rd, or 4th best CB on your team? Ozzie wouldn't. The Steelers sure as hell wouldn't. No GM worth his salt would. Find one in the later rounds. Talk to the Seahawks, figure out how they found Sherman in the 5th.

And now the big question...if you are trying to change the "culture of losing" why would you keep the poster child of that culture? He needs to go on principle alone.

Damn, for a team now searching frantically for its franchise QB...you look at him and say, "we could have had Flacco"...(as I said at the time). We could have had Ryan Clady, who was drafted one pick after him.

The guy's made $20 million being the 3rd, or 4th best CB on a bad team...a team that prospered in pass D on a year in which he was injured.

And you want to reward him with new contract? For 4-5 million a year, or more? I can't think of a better way to continue a culture of losing than to keep him.

Are you going to ***** when Anderson is still starting at DE, or Kelsay still on the squad, because they couldn't afford to lose more bodies on the outside?

I didn't sign them, and have no idea why Kelsay was extended for the amount he was in 2010.

Are you going to ***** next season when the team can't afford to keep Byrd because they ponied up for Levitre this season?

Probably not.

But I didn't realize we were paying Levitre $120 million a year.

On the other hand, I will ***** when we pay Byrd $10 million a year, Levitre is replaced by a 6th rounder, and the D is still in the bottom 5.

Maybe you will, maybe you won't...but we both know what many other's responses would be.

Guards are the easiest position to replace in the trenches, including both sides of the ball.

Of course it is.

-That's why good teams, you know, like the Ravens, Seahawks, 49ers and Steelers have all used a 1st round pick on the position recently. But we're smarter than them. Our draft record/regular season record/playoff record proves it.

-That's why its taken the Bills 15 years to get a quality guard. We haven't had one since Reuben Brown. A bunch of aging vets, a bunch of low round draft picks. Well, we had Ritchie Incognito for a few games, I guess. But then, when you only use one pick above the 4th round for 15 years, well...

-and for once, we actually use high picks on the interior line and ....wow...our line is finally decent for a change!! But hell, you can get talent like that in the 6th round.

Ozzie Newsome can replace them pretty easy. But that's because he continually drafts them in rounds 1-4. Its easy for him to replace a Ben Grubbs, because he drafted Osemele in the 2nd.

Expect the Bills to use a 2nd round pick to replace Levitre? I don't. Will they pay a Luis Vasquez to replace him? I doubt it.

Will they draft a CB to replace the 2nd round bust, who was supposed to replace the 1st round bust? Probably

Is he 9-10 million a year great? No. But who says he's going to get 9-10 million? We'll see. Yanda and Grubbs both got a little over 6 last year, Mathis got $5 million. Will anyone give him Nicks or Mankin money? We'll see. But there's probably a good chance to have locked him up earlier with Yanda or Grubbs, or even Mathis money. Maybe they still can, but right now, they've offered $0.

- - - Updated - - -

I am also in the camp that we will not resign Levitre. I fully expect the Bills tag Jairus Byrd. I know people will go nuts but I could also see the Bills going very secondary heavy in the draft this year. I mean legit they need 2 CB's and a SS arguably. Levitre is too much money for a Guard, and we could easily get someone like Brandon Moore who might be a step below but would be much cheaper.

That's like Bizarro World Ozzie Newsome.

Night Train
02-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I like Levitre a lot but I'd much rather keep Byrd if it came down to picking between the 2. There is still a cap and we can't pay every good Vet on our roster 8-10 Mil per season. We'd be 20 players short on gameday.

Other teams have to pass up some of their talent and draft their replacements all the time. The difference is we haven't done this well at all and need to change that practice.

tampabay25690
02-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Don't know if he is worth 9 mill per.
It's easier to replace. guard then a tackle just sayin!!!
Andy is a California guy so SD might be tempting to him!!

YardRat
02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Jesus H. Christ....leave to a lawyer to make a post more difficult to respond to than it has to be.

Again, it depends on the players. And it need not be 4 or 5.

It depends on how much he, and to a lesser extent the others, are looking to cash in for. Levitre has already been very clear about wanting to stay, but wanting to get paid also.

A 31 year old very average reserve DT on the worst run D in the NFL. Made $3 million last year. Didn't we draft this Carrington guy to replace him? Did we use a 2nd on this Troupe guy to replace him? We need to pay him another $3 million, plus them?

IMO Johnson was better than average depth. Carrington isn't going anywhere and already has his spot secured, so he's not replacing Johnson since he's already here. Troup was drafted as a NT and Johnson brought in as a 34 DE, so no, Troup wasn't drafted to replace Johnson. Can he? Maybe, but he has about as much chance to eventually contribute as Easley at WR and if you're counting on that happening than you are buying into the old culture as much as anybody.

Didn't this team just use the 10th pick in the draft to replace McLovin?

No, they used the 10th pick to replace Florence.

Or was it the 2nd pick of the 2nd rd to replace him?

Only one pick in the second round (OT Glenn) so not sure what you are referencing here. Williams with the second rounder the year before?

Or was it Ron Brooks in the 4th last year?
There are so many of his "replacements" its tough to keep track.

Why are you assuming that all of the CB picks were to replace McKelvin, and not Florence, Corner, Youboty, eventually McGee etc? Gilmore, Williams, Brooks are in...Florence, Corner and Youboty are out. McKelvin stuck around. Pretty simple concept.

Why would you need a high draft pick to replace the 3rd, or 4th best CB on your team? Ozzie wouldn't. The Steelers sure as hell wouldn't. No GM worth his salt would. Find one in the later rounds. Talk to the Seahawks, figure out how they found Sherman in the 5th.

Corners are a premium position. You can never have too many, and can never draft enough. Just IMO. Ozzie used a first in '11 on a CB, who is currently third on the depth chart, and actually had to go to FA in '12 to find his #2 (Graham). Is he a dumbass for taking Smith in the first round? Pittsburgh used a third on their 3rd/4th CB the same year.

And now the big question...if you are trying to change the "culture of losing" why would you keep the poster child of that culture? He needs to go on principle alone.

Won't argue with your logic, if that's the way you feel. McKelvin isn't the only guilty party, though, and realistically Levitre could be lumped right in there with him.

Damn, for a team now searching frantically for its franchise QB...you look at him and say, "we could have had Flacco"...(as I said at the time). We could have had Ryan Clady, who was drafted one pick after him.

Hindsight is 20/20, and playing that game is an exercise in futility, we both know it. If we passed on Levitre, we could have had Kruger, Vollmer, Mike Wallace, Michael Johnson, et al, also.

The guy's made $20 million being the 3rd, or 4th best CB on a bad team...a team that prospered in pass D on a year in which he was injured.

He was paid commensurate to his draft position under the old CBA which, granted, was too much. Again, you and I both know that the 'prosperous' pass defense is smoke and mirrors and was over-rated. Not too difficult to give up fewer yards passing when teams can run for 200 yards per game on your front seven. Not a valid argument for, or against.

And you want to reward him with new contract? For 4-5 million a year, or more? I can't think of a better way to continue a culture of losing than to keep him.

I wouldn't go that high, but if that's what the open market determines his value at let him take it and run elsewhere.

I didn't sign them, and have no idea why Kelsay was extended for the amount he was in 2010.

One of the great mysteries of the last decade. Because Ralph is cheap...Oh, wait a minute...

On the other hand, I will ***** when we pay Byrd $10 million a year, Levitre is replaced by a 6th rounder, and the D is still in the bottom 5.

Would you rather pay Levitre and lose Byrd?

-That's why good teams, you know, like the Ravens, Seahawks, 49ers and Steelers have all used a 1st round pick on the position recently. But we're smarter than them. Our draft record/regular season record/playoff record proves it.

Pretty sure there haven't been that many first round picks on G's by those teams in the last 3-4 years, and Iupati is the only one starting, unless you really want to count DeCastro whose season was wasted for the most part.

-That's why its taken the Bills 15 years to get a quality guard. We haven't had one since Reuben Brown. A bunch of aging vets, a bunch of low round draft picks. Well, we had Ritchie Incognito for a few games, I guess. But then, when you only use one pick above the 4th round for 15 years, well...

Granted. I'm certainly not against drafting big men early, even a guard, and actually lobby for early picks in the trenches. But, I'm also not an advocate of breaking the bank on a guard that isn't worth the investment. If Levitre is down to earth and expects a contract based on his performance, which although consistent certainly nothing dominant or overwhelming than re-sign him. If he's looking to bank because he thinks he's the second coming of John Hannah than let him walk.

-and for once, we actually use high picks on the interior line and ....wow...our line is finally decent for a change!! But hell, you can get talent like that in the 6th round.

Our o-line is over-rated, but I realize I'm in the minority wiith that opinion.

Ozzie Newsome can replace them pretty easy. But that's because he continually drafts them in rounds 1-4. Its easy for him to replace a Ben Grubbs, because he drafted Osemele in the 2nd.

Expect the Bills to use a 2nd round pick to replace Levitre? I don't. Will they pay a Luis Vasquez to replace him? I doubt it.

Will they draft a CB to replace the 2nd round bust, who was supposed to replace the 1st round bust? Probably

See my previous comments.

Is he 9-10 million a year great? No. But who says he's going to get 9-10 million? We'll see. Yanda and Grubbs both got a little over 6 last year, Mathis got $5 million. Will anyone give him Nicks or Mankin money? We'll see. But there's probably a good chance to have locked him up earlier with Yanda or Grubbs, or even Mathis money. Maybe they still can, but right now, they've offered $0.

There has been zero discussion with Levitre about a new contract? Do we know that?

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Im with you on that one.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Unreal. Our offense is a dumpster fire for years because we can't block anyone, so we finally go out and build a good line and now people are comfortable letting the best player walk at 26 years old?

To keep Spencer Johnson and Leodis McKelvin?

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Unreal. Our offense is a dumpster fire for years because we can't block anyone, so we finally go out and build a good line and now people are comfortable letting the best player walk at 26 years old?

To keep Spencer Johnson and Leodis McKelvin?

I dont think anybody is comfortable with it, but $10 Million for an interior OL is counter productive.

tampabay25690
02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I dont think anybody is comfortable with it, but $10 Million for an interior OL is counter productive.

yea u cant spend that type of $$ for a Guard.......I like Andy but not for that type of $$

better days
02-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Don't know if he is worth 9 mill per.
It's easier to replace. guard then a tackle just sayin!!!
Andy is a California guy so SD might be tempting to him!!

Bunch of Chicken Littles on this board. The sky is falling. If Levitre is not worth $9 Million to the Bills, then why is he worth $9 Million to any other team? The Bills have two FA's they NEED to sign. EVERY team has FA's of their own they would like to resign. (well except the JETS, all their FA's are OLD, EXPENSIVE & BROKEN DOWN) The Bills have more cap room than 96% of the NFL. I'm not worried about them resigning Levitre & Byrd.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM

First off, I don't see him getting $10 million. Nicks got 9.75 and he was a multiple all-pro. I think 8.5-9 gets it done. Secondly, this team has an overwhelming amount of money tied up in a horrid defense, and specifically a dline that accomplished next to nothing last year. Get bad contracts like Brad Smith and Chris Kelsay off the roster and then we won't have to worry about 'overpaying' for our best OL who hasn't missed a game since we drafted him. I'm much more comfortable letting Wood walk next year if he can't keep on the field.

JoeMama
02-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Hats off to the lucky franchise that picks up Andy Levitre. They're getting a player with a great motor, freakish durability, and the kind of versatility that most o-line coaches only dream of.

I've already mentally prepped myself for the inevitability that he's as good as gone.

Buddy Nix believes in his own mythology: that he's an astute "football guy" with a no BS approach who just knows talent. Because of his hubris, we're probably going to let Levitre walk.

Nix is a joke. He's like the King Midas of football; except everything he touches turns into ****.

better days
02-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Hats off to the lucky franchise that picks up Andy Levitre. They're getting a player with a great motor, freakish durability, and the kind of versatility that most o-line coaches only dream of.

I've already mentally prepped myself for the inevitability that he's as good as gone.

Buddy Nix believes in his own mythology: that he's an astute "football guy" with a no BS approach who just knows talent. Because of his hubris, we're probably going to let Levitre walk.

Nix is a joke. He's like the King Midas of football; except everything he touches turns into ****.

What are you talking about? When Nix was hired he said he wanted to build the team mainly through the draft & RESIGN Bills. He has not let one GOOD player get away yet.

YardRat
02-11-2013, 05:56 AM
I think 8.5-9 gets it done.

Still too much.

I'm much more comfortable letting Wood walk next year if he can't keep on the field.

Me too.

What are you talking about? When Nix was hired he said he wanted to build the team mainly through the draft & RESIGN Bills. He has not let one GOOD player get away yet.

Some, certainly not me, would argue that he should've paid the POS.

DraftBoy
02-11-2013, 07:21 AM
First off, I don't see him getting $10 million. Nicks got 9.75 and he was a multiple all-pro. I think 8.5-9 gets it done. Secondly, this team has an overwhelming amount of money tied up in a horrid defense, and specifically a dline that accomplished next to nothing last year. Get bad contracts like Brad Smith and Chris Kelsay off the roster and then we won't have to worry about 'overpaying' for our best OL who hasn't missed a game since we drafted him. I'm much more comfortable letting Wood walk next year if he can't keep on the field.

Nicks set the standard, why would Levitre accept such a substandard rate to Nicks? The only reason Levitre fell as far as he did in the draft was over injury concerns and he's been very healthy. I really don't care about Pro Bowl or All-Pro honors and I can assure you his agent isn't either.

You cut Smith and Kelsay you still take a hit, I hate the bad contracts as well but its not as simple as just getting them off the roster and you know that.

I think Levitre is our best OL and I'd love to resign him but if you think I'm giving any guard 9-10 million a year you're out of your mind.

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2013, 08:23 AM
yea u cant spend that type of $$ for a Guard.......I like Andy but not for that type of $$

Says friggin who? We have the room, lets spend it. If we dont spend enough people get pissed, but then we spend "too much" on our best o-lineman and they dont agree with that either? This is inane.

JoeMama
02-11-2013, 09:41 AM

Buddy Nix has allowed a few good players slip through his hands. Perhaps not always via free agency but it makes little difference since the end result is the same.

Marshawn Lynch: third leading rusher in the NFL

Richie Incognito: probowl replacement released despite a promising run in late 2009.

Paul Posluzsny: this choice may seem dubious since Poz hasn't cracked the probowl (yet), but he's put together two very strong seasons here in Jacksonville. Many in town consider him the team's MVP. Including myself. (http://blackandteal.com/2012/12/05/paul-posluszny-deserves-jags-mvp/) Lord knows he's light years ahead of Kelvin Sheppard who frankly doesn't belong in the NFL.

And don't let free agency nuance cloud the overall point.

Nix simply isn't amassing enough talent via the draft. Often times we're not re-signing homegrown talent because there is none.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Nicks set the standard, why would Levitre accept such a substandard rate to Nicks? The only reason Levitre fell as far as he did in the draft was over injury concerns and he's been very healthy. I really don't care about Pro Bowl or All-Pro honors and I can assure you his agent isn't either.

Right but I think other teams are going to be aware of that as well. He may want 10 million, but I don't know who's going to pay it to him. I think that's a more than fair offer and I don't expect it to be one-upped.

You cut Smith and Kelsay you still take a hit, I hate the bad contracts as well but its not as simple as just getting them off the roster and you know that.

You take a hit this year, but we have a ton of cap room this year. Next year and beyond is where people are concerned, but then those cap penalties would be cleared.

I think Levitre is our best OL and I'd love to resign him but if you think I'm giving any guard 9-10 million a year you're out of your mind.

He's the anchor of the line, and I think OGs are being underestimated. Not only do we play against several quality interior DL in this division, but he's our best pulling blocker. If we are going to build our O around Jackson and Spiller, I'd like to see them run behind him rather than staking our fortunes on another Nix waiver pickup.

better days
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Buddy Nix has allowed a few good players slip through his hands. Perhaps not always via free agency but it makes little difference since the end result is the same.

Marshawn Lynch: third leading rusher in the NFL

Richie Incognito: probowl replacement released despite a promising run in late 2009.

Paul Posluzsny: this choice may seem dubious since Poz hasn't cracked the probowl (yet), but he's put together two very strong seasons here in Jacksonville. Many in town consider him the team's MVP. Including myself. (http://blackandteal.com/2012/12/05/paul-posluszny-deserves-jags-mvp/) Lord knows he's light years ahead of Kelvin Sheppard who frankly doesn't belong in the NFL.

And don't let free agency nuance cloud the overall point.

Nix simply isn't amassing enough talent via the draft. Often times we're not re-signing homegrown talent because there is none.

Lynch was a tough loss. I really liked him despite his off field problems, but I think he is much happier being back on the West Coast.

Incognito has talent, but the Bills were not the first team to cut him loose.

Poz was vastly overpaid by the Jags & did not fit the defense the Bills were planning to install at the time he left.

The Bills are a MUCH MORE talented team than they were before Nix was hired.

Mike
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
http://sidelionreport.com/2013/02/09/detroit-lions-free-agent-target-andy-levitre/

It’s no wonder that Levitre’s name would come up in Lions circles. They have a need at guard, Martin Mayhew (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayhMa20.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-sidelionreport.com) has said the team would be a player in free agency and new running game coach Curtis Modkins spent time working with the running game in Buffalo.

Levitre is already on record as saying he will shop for the best deal on the free agent market.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/09/nfl-rumors-san-diego-chargers-to-go-after-andy-levitre/

According to ESPN’s Bill Williamson, “The San Diego Chargershttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/09/nfl-rumors-san-diego-chargers-to-go-after-andy-levitre/#) may pursue Buffalo Bills (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/teams/buffalo-bills/) impending free-agent OG Andy Levitre if he becomes available this off-season.” Levitre started all 64 games for Buffalo from 2009-2012 and was named to an NFL (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/) All-Rookie team in 2009.

Joe D’Alessandris is San Diego’s new offensive line coach and hehas experience working with Levitre in Buffalo.

And this is one reason why Building through the Draft has not worked in Buffalo. When the player develops and becomes tops in his position, he ends up leaving. For those of you who want to replace him via the draft, what for?????? If the next guy is half as good he will book in a few years and you will be at square one again and if he sucks, then the Bills will resign him...

This NEEDS to change NOW. If the Bills do not resign their few draft hits, they have ZERO change of Building via the Draft. I hope Levitre is resigned.

Mike
02-11-2013, 04:36 PM

How it the world can teams like New England, Green Bay, Atlants, San Francisco, Denver, NYG etc.... have such star power and pay for it??? The Bills barely have more than 1 superstar, those teams have multiple superstars. How can they afford to pay them, and the Bills can not even afford a Guard???

If building through the Draft is a viable option, then you have to resign you best players, otherwise you are perpetually replacing them with more draft picks. Bills will never win this way. You want a good Guard you pay for it, you want a good QB you pay for it, and obviously it is Economically feasible as the Best Teams in the NFL have great players all around.

Mike
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
In a way, the Fans 'thinking' is reflected in the Bills decisions. When POZ & Whitner became a Free Agents, most Fans wanted to resign both of them, especially Poz arguing that he was a great LB in the making and that Whitner underperformed because of his supporting cast. The argument was to resign these average players. When Clements, Peters, and now Levitre are for contract, the Fans argue that the Bills should let them go to save $$$. So, the Bills decions are reflected in this as they let good and great players go but signed and resigned scrubs with a few *puph* FAs in between.

Result, during the 2000's (before sal cap floor) the Bills made more money than 21 other franchises! All that money saved on talent went into Ralph's pocket.

So Ask Yourself This Question: Do you prefer the Bills spend 9mil on a great Guard they drafted or do your Prefer that this money goes into Ralph's pocket?

cookie G
02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Jesus H. Christ....leave to a lawyer to make a post more difficult to respond to than it has to be.

I do what I can.

It really isn't that difficult anyways.

It depends on how much he, and to a lesser extent the others, are looking to cash in for. Levitre has already been very clear about wanting to stay, but wanting to get paid also.

Well..then they need to make him an offer. Whether he accepts it is another thing. But they've certainly known this contract was up for a while.

IMO Johnson was better than average depth. Carrington isn't going anywhere and already has his spot secured, so he's not replacing Johnson since he's already here. Troup was drafted as a NT and Johnson brought in as a 34 DE, so no, Troup wasn't drafted to replace Johnson. Can he? Maybe, but he has about as much chance to eventually contribute as Easley at WR and if you're counting on that happening than you are buying into the old culture as much as anybody.

No, I'm just trying to wonder why we need to pay a reserve player $3 million a year.

No, they used the 10th pick to replace Florence.

Only one pick in the second round (OT lenn) so not sure what you are referencing here. Williams with the second rounder the year before?

Why are you assuming that all of the CB picks were to replace McKelvin, and not Florence, Corner, Youboty, eventually McGee etc? Gilmore, Williams, Brooks are in...Florence, Corner and Youboty are out. McKelvin stuck around. Pretty simple concept.[/qoute]

Trying to figure out who's replacing who is a bit like Who's on First. And considering how well our D has performed gives the comedy analogy some credence.

[QUOTE=YardRat;3752757]
Corners are a premium position. You can never have too many, and can never draft enough. Just IMO. Ozzie used a first in '11 on a CB, who is currently third on the depth chart, and actually had to go to FA in '12 to find his #2 (Graham). Is he a dumbass for taking Smith in the first round? Pittsburgh used a third on their 3rd/4th CB the same year.

And to the heart of the matter. Its a nice theory...except it isn't true. Frankly, I love for it to be true, because we'd be a SB contender with a kick ass defense..but we aren't. I have a Dick Jauron conspiracy theory about this...but don't choose to get into it.

This isn't too hard to understand. All you have to do is look at how good defenses draft, as opposed to bad defenses.

Baltimore has used 2 1st or 2nd round picks on DB's in the past 13 years...1 in the last 12;
Pittsburgh used 3 of those picks on DB's in the past 13 years...none in the past 7;
Chicago, 1 in the last 12 years;
San Francisco 1 (Taylor Mays) in the past 8 years.

On the other hand...

Buffal0- 5 since 2006;
New Orleans-5 in the last 8 years;
Oakland- 6 in the last decade;
New England- a whopping 7 since 2007. They had a good defense when they were drafting guys like Seymour, Wilfork and Ty Warren. Then they went DB crazy and their defense went downhill. They made a little improvement when they drafted Chandler Jones and Hightower in the first.

I'm sorry. Good defenses don't put nearly the priority on DB's that bad defenses do. Ozzie says, "you can't have enough pass rushers". Bills brass says..."you can't have enough cornerbacks".

I'd think that after watching this failed experiment since 2006...people would have caught on by now.

Won't argue with your logic, if that's the way you feel. McKelvin isn't the only guilty party, though, and realistically Levitre could be lumped right in there with him.

Of course he isn't the only culprit.

Hindsight is 20/20, and playing that game is an exercise in futility, we both know it. If we passed on Levitre, we could have had Kruger, Vollmer, Mike Wallace, Michael Johnson, et al, also.

Its only hindsight for people who didn't see it. Vollmer would have been fine in the 2nd also. He was the guy I was hoping they'd get.

He was paid commensurate to his draft position under the old CBA which, granted, was too much. Again, you and I both know that the 'prosperous' pass defense is smoke and mirrors and was over-rated. Not too difficult to give up fewer yards passing when teams can run for 200 yards per game on your front seven. Not a valid argument for, or against.

What we had in 2009 is way better than what we have now.

I wouldn't go that high, but if that's what the open market determines his value at let him take it and run elsewhere.

All depends on what they replace him with.

I just envision the 6th round draft pick ...and people saying something like..."Well this guy is 325, and Levitre is only 310..this guy could be a mauler. Levitre wasn't that strong at the point of attack, so I think we'll be ahead.".

Seen it way too many times to feel different.

I already answered that.

Would you rather pay Levitre and lose Byrd?

They'll draft another DB in the 1st or 2nd, either this year or next. Its hardwired into their DNA. I'm not so sure they'll replace Levitre though.

Pretty sure there haven't been that many first round picks on G's by those teams in the last 3-4 years, and Iupati is the only one starting, unless you really want to count DeCastro whose season was wasted for the most part.

Just by teh good teams. The bad teams are drafting DB's. :)

Granted. I'm certainly not against drafting big men early, even a guard, and actually lobby for early picks in the trenches. But, I'm also not an advocate of breaking the bank on a guard that isn't worth the investment. If Levitre is down to earth and expects a contract based on his performance, which although consistent certainly nothing dominant or overwhelming than re-sign him. If he's looking to bank because he thinks he's the second coming of John Hannah than let him walk.

Well good...Chance Warmack at 8 it is!

In comparison to what it had been...lots of improvement. One of the best in the league? debatable..

See my previous comments.

There has been zero discussion with Levitre about a new contract? Do we know that?

At the end of December, Levitre said he hasn't received an offer. On Feb 1, Brandon said there hasn't been anything concrete.