• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Ryan Mallett on the market

Many people here were interested in him when the Pats took him a few years ago. He's a classic pocket passer who stands tall, has a big arm, and delivers a catchable ball. Rumor was Browns were interested though now they claiming they aren't. Talked to some people at NESN and they said likely cost would be 3rd Rounder.

Here is the Browns no longer interested link;
    It appears that Ryan Mallett is going nowhere — for now. The Patriots’ third-year quarterback has been a rumored trade chip ever since he was drafted in the third round out of Arkansas in April 2011. When Mike Lombardi was hired by the Cleveland Browns, the AFC North squad became a likely landing spot for […]
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Ryan Mallett on the market

Doh, boy...here we go.

The big questions are...Why does BB want to deal him, and who does he have in mind to replace him?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Doh, boy...here we go.

The big questions are...Why does BB want to deal him, and who does he have in mind to replace him?
      Why? Well he doesn't have a need for him and he loves to add picks. Flipping picks is what he's done since he's been there.

Who to replace him? Probably draft and sign a QB winner in camp stays loser leaves or goes to PS.

Brady still has 3-4 years left, not sure BB is worried about finding the heir apparent today like so many assume.
      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
        Why? Well he doesn't have a need for him and he loves to add picks. Flipping picks is what he's done since he's been there.

Who to replace him? Probably draft and sign a QB winner in camp stays loser leaves or goes to PS.

Brady still has 3-4 years left, not sure BB is worried about finding the heir apparent today like so many assume.
        I totally disagree. Brady has 2 years left on his contract. And that's probably all he's got left in him in terms of good seasons. Mallett is also signed for another 2 seasons. Will the Pats pony up big cash for Brady, when he'll be 38 entering the 2015 season? Nope. So if Belichick is looking to trade Mallett now, it means he realizes Mallett doesn't have it, which I doubt he does.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2010

i like wilson more

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I don't think he's concerned about finding an heir apparent, as a matter of fact I'm more inclined to think when Brady goes, BB does also.

If he's willing to deal Mallet right now, obviously he doesn't think the kid brings anything to the table that a targeted FA or another rookie draft pick can't, especially if he's looking to flip him for the same draft pick that he used to obtain him.

What does that say about Mallet?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• EricStratton
              • Jul 2002

The speculation is that when Brady leaves the Pats Bill will step away as well. He's not concerned with the long term viability of the franchise, he wants to set them up for the next 2-3 seasons.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

Yep, I agree that when Brady is done, so too is Belichick. And let me clarify that if Belichick is looking to trade Mallett, it's because he thinks (like I do) that Mallett doesn't have what it takes. And there is no reason to trade away a good QB, even if he's leaving, since he wants to leave them in good shape.

All this being said, are the Pats actively shopping Mallett, or is this a "we expected him to be traded as soon as he was drafted" type of thing? Because frankly, the kid has NO trade value since he's barely played (IMHO for good reason), and when he has, he hasn't looked good at all.
                Last edited by Goobylal; 02-10-2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I don't think he's concerned about finding an heir apparent, as a matter of fact I'm more inclined to think when Brady goes, BB does also.

If he's willing to deal Mallet right now, obviously he doesn't think the kid brings anything to the table that a targeted FA or another rookie draft pick can't, especially if he's looking to flip him for the same draft pick that he used to obtain him.

What does that say about Mallet?
                  Not much since you just said in the same post BB could give two craps about the Pats future. How is his lack of care about the Pats future an indictment on Mallett?
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Not much since you just said in the same post BB could give two craps about the Pats future. How is his lack of care about the Pats future an indictment on Mallett?
                    It isn't...it's an indictment on his perceived ability to secure the back-up QB position at the moment, and capability to perform in case of injury and the opportunity is presented.

If BB doesn't care about the future, and he felt Mallet was adequate enough to hold the #2 position, than there would be no reason to deal him.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Thief
                      • Sep 2009

It isn't...it's an indictment on his perceived ability to secure the back-up QB position at the moment, and capability to perform in case of injury and the opportunity is presented.

If BB doesn't care about the future, and he felt Mallet was adequate enough to hold the #2 position, than there would be no reason to deal him.
                      Maybe he thinks he can find a player that will have more impact during then next two years. More impact then a backup QB. So.... someone who starts or plays.

Comment

• Thief
                        • Sep 2009

PFT:The chain of logic is fairly simple; Lombardi is tight with Pats coach Bill Belichick, if Belichick likes Mallett then Lombardi presumably likes Mallett, and Mallett likely will leave via free agency before ever becoming the starting quarterback, so the Pats should trade him at some point. What better year to do a deal than this year, when the draft lacks the kind of high-end quarterbacks it produced in 2012?

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

So you are saying the Pats* have no need for a back up QB?

If Mallet was any good, he would be signed to a long term contract by the Pats* now while he is cheap. If they don't want him, I don't know who would. I would not want the Bills to give up anything more than a 6th for him.

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Thief View Post
                            PFT:The chain of logic is fairly simple; Lombardi is tight with Pats coach Bill Belichick, if Belichick likes Mallett then Lombardi presumably likes Mallett, and Mallett likely will leave via free agency before ever becoming the starting quarterback, so the Pats should trade him at some point. What better year to do a deal than this year, when the draft lacks the kind of high-end quarterbacks it produced in 2012?
                            It's obviously a ruse by Belichick to portray the idea that he likes him so he can sucker some team into trading for him, and Lombardi is either playing into Belichick's hand or playing along with him. So far Mallett has done nothing to even suggest he's worth trading for, much less a 3rd rounder. That they rarely used him this past year (remember, Brady won a SB at a similar stage), mostly had him hand-off, and his passing stats sucked (1 of 4 for 17 yards and an INT), kills any trade value.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Thief View Post
                              Maybe he thinks he can find a player that will have more impact during then next two years. More impact then a backup QB. So.... someone who starts or plays.
                              With the extra third rounder he obtains in the trade? Could be, I suppose. Back-ups at other positions certainly aren't going to fetch a third.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X