PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett on the market

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Many people here were interested in him when the Pats took him a few years ago. He's a classic pocket passer who stands tall, has a big arm, and delivers a catchable ball. Rumor was Browns were interested though now they claiming they aren't. Talked to some people at NESN and they said likely cost would be 3rd Rounder.

Here is the Browns no longer interested link;
http://nesn.com/2013/02/report-ryan-mallett-not-expected-to-be-targeted-by-browns-in-trade/

YardRat
02-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Doh, boy...here we go.

The big questions are...Why does BB want to deal him, and who does he have in mind to replace him?

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Doh, boy...here we go.

The big questions are...Why does BB want to deal him, and who does he have in mind to replace him?

Why? Well he doesn't have a need for him and he loves to add picks. Flipping picks is what he's done since he's been there.

Who to replace him? Probably draft and sign a QB winner in camp stays loser leaves or goes to PS.

Brady still has 3-4 years left, not sure BB is worried about finding the heir apparent today like so many assume.

Goobylal
02-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Why? Well he doesn't have a need for him and he loves to add picks. Flipping picks is what he's done since he's been there.

Who to replace him? Probably draft and sign a QB winner in camp stays loser leaves or goes to PS.

Brady still has 3-4 years left, not sure BB is worried about finding the heir apparent today like so many assume.
I totally disagree. Brady has 2 years left on his contract. And that's probably all he's got left in him in terms of good seasons. Mallett is also signed for another 2 seasons. Will the Pats pony up big cash for Brady, when he'll be 38 entering the 2015 season? Nope. So if Belichick is looking to trade Mallett now, it means he realizes Mallett doesn't have it, which I doubt he does.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
i like wilson more

YardRat
02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I don't think he's concerned about finding an heir apparent, as a matter of fact I'm more inclined to think when Brady goes, BB does also.

If he's willing to deal Mallet right now, obviously he doesn't think the kid brings anything to the table that a targeted FA or another rookie draft pick can't, especially if he's looking to flip him for the same draft pick that he used to obtain him.

What does that say about Mallet?

EricStratton
02-10-2013, 09:59 AM
The speculation is that when Brady leaves the Pats Bill will step away as well. He's not concerned with the long term viability of the franchise, he wants to set them up for the next 2-3 seasons.

Goobylal
02-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Yep, I agree that when Brady is done, so too is Belichick. And let me clarify that if Belichick is looking to trade Mallett, it's because he thinks (like I do) that Mallett doesn't have what it takes. And there is no reason to trade away a good QB, even if he's leaving, since he wants to leave them in good shape.

All this being said, are the Pats actively shopping Mallett, or is this a "we expected him to be traded as soon as he was drafted" type of thing? Because frankly, the kid has NO trade value since he's barely played (IMHO for good reason), and when he has, he hasn't looked good at all.

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't think he's concerned about finding an heir apparent, as a matter of fact I'm more inclined to think when Brady goes, BB does also.

If he's willing to deal Mallet right now, obviously he doesn't think the kid brings anything to the table that a targeted FA or another rookie draft pick can't, especially if he's looking to flip him for the same draft pick that he used to obtain him.

What does that say about Mallet?

Not much since you just said in the same post BB could give two craps about the Pats future. How is his lack of care about the Pats future an indictment on Mallett?

YardRat
02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Not much since you just said in the same post BB could give two craps about the Pats future. How is his lack of care about the Pats future an indictment on Mallett?

It isn't...it's an indictment on his perceived ability to secure the back-up QB position at the moment, and capability to perform in case of injury and the opportunity is presented.

If BB doesn't care about the future, and he felt Mallet was adequate enough to hold the #2 position, than there would be no reason to deal him.

Thief
02-10-2013, 01:20 PM
It isn't...it's an indictment on his perceived ability to secure the back-up QB position at the moment, and capability to perform in case of injury and the opportunity is presented.

If BB doesn't care about the future, and he felt Mallet was adequate enough to hold the #2 position, than there would be no reason to deal him.Maybe he thinks he can find a player that will have more impact during then next two years. More impact then a backup QB. So.... someone who starts or plays.

Thief
02-10-2013, 01:24 PM
PFT:The chain of logic is fairly simple; Lombardi is tight with Pats coach Bill Belichick, if Belichick likes Mallett then Lombardi presumably likes Mallett, and Mallett likely will leave via free agency before ever becoming the starting quarterback, so the Pats should trade him at some point. What better year to do a deal than this year, when the draft lacks the kind of high-end quarterbacks it produced in 2012?

better days
02-10-2013, 01:28 PM

So you are saying the Pats* have no need for a back up QB?

If Mallet was any good, he would be signed to a long term contract by the Pats* now while he is cheap. If they don't want him, I don't know who would. I would not want the Bills to give up anything more than a 6th for him.

Goobylal
02-10-2013, 01:32 PM
PFT:The chain of logic is fairly simple; Lombardi is tight with Pats coach Bill Belichick, if Belichick likes Mallett then Lombardi presumably likes Mallett, and Mallett likely will leave via free agency before ever becoming the starting quarterback, so the Pats should trade him at some point. What better year to do a deal than this year, when the draft lacks the kind of high-end quarterbacks it produced in 2012?
It's obviously a ruse by Belichick to portray the idea that he likes him so he can sucker some team into trading for him, and Lombardi is either playing into Belichick's hand or playing along with him. So far Mallett has done nothing to even suggest he's worth trading for, much less a 3rd rounder. That they rarely used him this past year (remember, Brady won a SB at a similar stage), mostly had him hand-off, and his passing stats sucked (1 of 4 for 17 yards and an INT), kills any trade value.

YardRat
02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Maybe he thinks he can find a player that will have more impact during then next two years. More impact then a backup QB. So.... someone who starts or plays.

With the extra third rounder he obtains in the trade? Could be, I suppose. Back-ups at other positions certainly aren't going to fetch a third.

better days
02-10-2013, 02:02 PM
With the extra third rounder he obtains in the trade? Could be, I suppose. Back-ups at other positions certainly aren't going to fetch a third.

And neither will Mallet.

Ed
02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I'd be excited if we got Mallet, but I don't see it happening. If Nix really thought Mallet was anything special he probably would have been willing to use a 3rd round pick to draft him originally.

Makes sense to me that the Pats would try to move him. His value probably isn't going to go up and the Pats only have 4 draft picks right now. Plus Brady wants to still be playing when he's 40.

fluteflakes
02-10-2013, 03:24 PM
I like Ryan Mallet, he's always had a lot of talent, it's just that he had serious character issues going into the draft, so he slid down and down because nobody wanted to take a risk on him.

For a 3rd-4th round pick, I'd be willing to take that gamble. It's no different than drafting a QB other than there is a bit more about Mallet at the NFL level that's "known" at this point.

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 03:37 PM

If BB doesn't care about the future, and he felt Mallet was adequate enough to hold the #2 position, than there would be no reason to deal him.

#2 QB value v. trade value

One weighs potentially more than the other and BB is a deal man.

- - - Updated - - -

So you are saying the Pats* have no need for a back up QB?

If Mallet was any good, he would be signed to a long term contract by the Pats* now while he is cheap. If they don't want him, I don't know who would. I would not want the Bills to give up anything more than a 6th for him.
No I'm saying anytime you can flip a backup for good value you have to consider it.

Night Train
02-10-2013, 03:47 PM
In crunch time during his college days, he was just like Landry Jones.

He wilted.

Goobylal
02-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Mallett has no trade value. In fact, what he's shown so far is that he doesn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL. A rookie hasn't shown that, so he is far more valuable.

Maybe Mallett can become a good QB. But I wouldn't trade any pick just on hope.

bigbub2352
02-10-2013, 09:02 PM
i would do it in a second

better days
02-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I like Ryan Mallet, he's always had a lot of talent, it's just that he had serious character issues going into the draft, so he slid down and down because nobody wanted to take a risk on him.

For a 3rd-4th round pick, I'd be willing to take that gamble. It's no different than drafting a QB other than there is a bit more about Mallet at the NFL level that's "known" at this point.

In todays NFL, there is a HUGE difference between drafting a player in the 3rd rnd & trading for Mallett with a3rd rnd pick. The difference is MONEY. Mallott is almost out of his Rookie Contract which means he will need to be PAID SOON. You draft a Rookie, & you have him for twice as long as you would have Mallett for at the Rookie contract price.

It would be one thing if Mallett had proven ANYTHING up to this point, but he has not shown as much as Rob Johnson yet.

Oaf
02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I would love for the Patriots to just do so bad, that Brady retires and BB is fired. None of this quit when we feel like it crap.

YardRat
02-11-2013, 05:50 AM
#2 QB value v. trade value

One weighs potentially more than the other and BB is a deal man.

Fair enough.

OpIv37
02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
i would do it in a second

No. Trades. Within. The. Division.

No exceptions.

Watch us trade Bellicheck the pick and then he'll use it to draft Brady's replacement and we will get another 10+ years of being NE's *****es.

Captain Obvious
02-11-2013, 11:37 AM

No exceptions.

Watch us trade Bellicheck the pick and then he'll use it to draft Brady's replacement and we will get another 10+ years of being NE's *****es.

Again you're being afraid and scared these are bad traits and approaches when it comes to making personnel decisions

OpIv37
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Again you're being afraid and scared these are bad traits and approaches when it comes to making personnel decisions

You are right. I do not trust the Bills' FO to make good personnel decisions because they have made so many piss-poor ones in the past.

Mallet is lead-footed. If Bellicheck is letting him go, there is a reason.

If we were to make the trade with some NFC team that we will maybe play 2 or 3 times over the course of a draft pick's career, fine. I'd still be leery if it but the consequences of a mistake are much less dire. If a division team fleeces is on a trade, we have to play that guy twice a year and compete with them every year for the division's playoff spot. The consequences are much higher.

If you can't see that, well, maybe you should change your name to Captain Oblivious.

justasportsfan
02-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Why trade for Mallet when you can draft Glennon without having to give the Pats more draft picks?

If BB thought that Mallet is a franchise qb, I doubt he'd trade him in case anything happened to Marsha.

Goobylal
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I'd rather take the pick used to trade for Mallett (not that I'd trade for him, but...) and use it on a QB prospect who hasn't proven he sucks...yet.

Bill Cody
02-11-2013, 02:08 PM

You argument makes no sense. They are asking to get back what they paid for him so he's not making a profit. And if Brady has 3-4 years left now he had 5-6 left when they drafted him so why did they take him in the first place? No, this is a buyer beware deal. If BB is saying no mas after 2 years it tells me the kid doesn't have the goods.

Thief
02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
In todays NFL, there is a HUGE difference between drafting a player in the 3rd rnd & trading for Mallett with a3rd rnd pick. The difference is MONEY. Mallott is almost out of his Rookie Contract which means he will need to be PAID SOON. You draft a Rookie, & you have him for twice as long as you would have Mallett for at the Rookie contract price.

It would be one thing if Mallett had proven ANYTHING up to this point, but he has not shown as much as Rob Johnson yet.So, being that he has shown nothing thus far, why would he be "PAID"?

Thief
02-11-2013, 02:48 PM

No exceptions.
I don't really get this argument. It is a good trade if you end up with the better of it, and a bad one if the other party does. It is irrelevant if it is within the division, IMO.

BuffaloWingEater
02-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Mallett = Brohm

next!

Goobylal
02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
You argument makes no sense. They are asking to get back what they paid for him so he's not making a profit. And if Brady has 3-4 years left now he had 5-6 left when they drafted him so why did they take him in the first place? No, this is a buyer beware deal. If BB is saying no mas after 2 years it tells me the kid doesn't have the goods.
Especially if he's willing to trade him within the division. That right there would tell you all you need to know about Mallett.

Bill Cody
02-11-2013, 03:43 PM
A statue like QB can still do well in the league (see Joe Flacco) but you need to committ to having a great pass protecting O line. When we had Bledsoe he was great for half a season and then just was done in by way way too many hits from the band of misfit toys we had blocking for him. And Mallet makes Flacco look like RG3. Mallet looked skittish in the pocket when he was pressured in college every time I watched him play. He has a cannon but that isn't enough. I didn't buy him when he came out and I'm sure not buying now when BB is ready to give up on him. Pass.

better days
02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
So, being that he has shown nothing thus far, why would he be "PAID"?

Because his ROOKIE contract will be finished. His next contract as a VET will call for him to make more money than his Rookie contract did, even if he shows nothing.

OpIv37
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
J
I don't really get this argument. It is a good trade if you end up with the better of it, and a bad one if the other party does. It is irrelevant if it is within the division, IMO.
A bad trade with a team outside the division is far less painful than a bad trade within the division.

Imagine if they use that pick to get the next Brady or Wilfork or Welker and now we have play the guy twice a season for his entire career.

How do you think Miami feels about the Welker trade now? They've dominated the division, in large part due to Welker. I bet they'd be much happier if they traded him to the NFC where he's not shredding them twice a season and ****ing up their playoff chances every year.

CleveSteve
02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Why trade for Mallet when you can draft Glennon without having to give the Pats more draft picks?

If BB thought that Mallet is a franchise qb, I doubt he'd trade him in case anything happened to Marsha.

That's kind of silly. Mallett was/is way better than Glennon. If he's off coke, he'd be a steal for a third round pick... especially if people are thinking about taking Glennon in the first or second. If there were no drug rumors, he'd have been a first rounder when he was drafted.

Mallett's junior year, he threw for 30 TDs and 7 picks at 9.0 YPA, and his senior year, he threw for 32 TDs and 12 INT (64.7% completion at 9.4 YPA) in the SEC. This year Glennon threw for the most INTs in the FBS playing in the ACC.

justasportsfan
02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
That's kind of silly. Mallett was/is way better than Glennon. If he's off coke, he'd be a steal for a third round pick... especially if people are thinking about taking Glennon in the first or second. If there were no drug rumors, he'd have been a first rounder when he was drafted.

Mallett's junior year, he threw for 30 TDs and 7 picks at 9.0 YPA, and his senior year, he threw for 32 TDs and 12 INT (64.7% completion at 9.4 YPA) in the SEC. This year Glennon threw for the most INTs in the FBS playing in the ACC.

I could take Mallets nos. and compare it to Tebows winning record in college and even the NFL. Does that mean Tebow is a better qb than Mallet in your opinion?

What I recall from Mallets college career is that he's Drew Bledsoe (college version) in every sense of the word including choking in big games.

If Mallet is a future franchise qb, I doubt BB trades him away especially since Brady is no superman and isn't getting any younger. INO, BB is thinking he can replace Mallet easily and stockpile more draft picks.

I doubt the bills grab him or Glennon . They don't seem to be a fit with Marrones/Hacketts system anyways.

DraftBoy
02-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Can you tell me another player who doesn't play a meaningful snap for two years yet maintains the same value? They took him because he was at one point considered a first round QB, and they wanted to flip him. They dont see the market getting any better without him playing so flip him now and get what you can. He's not going to see the field in NE so why hold on to him? And not this RGIII you need a viable backup option, Brady isn't RGIII. If he does one thing well its avoid big hits.

Goobylal
02-12-2013, 02:51 PM

The coke is a huge issue and it's a bug "IF" that he's off of it (once an addict...). However the difference between Mallett and Glennon is that Mallett has played in the NFL, and played poorly, whereas Glennon is unproven and still has perceived franchise QB potential.

Can you tell me another player who doesn't play a meaningful snap for two years yet maintains the same value? They took him because he was at one point considered a first round QB, and they wanted to flip him. They dont see the market getting any better without him playing so flip him now and get what you can. He's not going to see the field in NE so why hold on to him? And not this RGIII you need a viable backup option, Brady isn't RGIII. If he does one thing well its avoid big hits.
Again, the Pats had numerous blowouts last season (TEN, BUF, STL IND, NYJ, HOU, MIA) where they could have inserted Mallett, in order to showcase him. That they didn't play him much and he played poorly in the few games he did enter, kills any trade value for him. Again, would you trade ANY pick for a guy whose stat line from 2012, his 2nd season, is 1/4 for 17 yards and an INT? Would anyone? And if so, why? Because of what he did in college?

Bill Cody
02-12-2013, 04:06 PM

You're still not making sense. Behind a future HOF'er that likes to play every snap NE knew for a fact that Mallet was unlikely to play much if at all. So they knew they'd have a guy that was 2 years in and had no meaningful snaps. Try again.

gr8slayer
02-12-2013, 07:09 PM
That will go down as one of the best days in NFL history.
The speculation is that when Brady leaves the Pats Bill will step away as well. He's not concerned with the long term viability of the franchise, he wants to set them up for the next 2-3 seasons.