PDA

View Full Version : McKelvin gives up 5th LEAST yards per catch

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Fun little stat from PFF;
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/31/signature-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/

With that way McKelvin played this year and his return ability he is a guy you must re-sign along with Levitre and Byrd.

Joe Fo Sho
02-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Fun little stat from PFF;
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/31/signature-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/

With that way McKelvin played this year and his return ability he is a guy you must re-sign along with Levitre and Byrd.

The title is a little misleading. It's yards per coverage snap, not yards per catch.

His number was so low probably because he was in the slot, and the primary receivers were wide open so they didn't have to throw the slot guy.

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 04:44 PM
The title is a little misleading. It's yards per coverage snap, not yards per catch.

His number was so low probably because he was in the slot, and the primary receivers were wide open so they didn't have to throw the slot guy.

Definite flaw in the title and stat. Worth noting though the Bills finished 15th v. #2 WR's with a DVOA of -2.7% though.

coastal
02-10-2013, 05:14 PM
McKelvin had a solid year. Not resigning him would be another mistake.. So u know its coming.

cookie G
02-10-2013, 05:19 PM
McKelvin had a solid year. Not resigning him would be another mistake.. So u know its coming.

The poster boy for the culture of losing.

No.

The guy we passed on for him just won the SB MVP.

Stop the madness.

pmoon6
02-10-2013, 05:20 PM
I'd sign him just for his special teams ability.

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 05:34 PM

No.

Stop the madness.

We didn't pass on Flacco for him any more than 16 other teams did. You're applying unfair logic.

You want to let our most dynamic special teams player go simply because Flacco worked out for another team? I'd rather just keep him and the TD's he brings.

coastal
02-10-2013, 05:51 PM

No.

Stop the madness.
Resigning McMarbles for a reasonable amount isn't continuing the cycle.

stop being dramatic.

its funny how NO ONE... outside of me... is even mentioning the cost of Mario "Fool's Gold" Williams in this whole imbroglio.

but hey... at least we were relevant again.

this is simple.

resign Byrd, Levitre and Mckelvin. They produced. not resigning them means replacing production. Spencer Johnson, Chris Kelsay, Terrance McGee and the like... That's who goes and stays gone.

Then unless Pettine can find a way to motivate Mario... U dump him next offseason.

McMarbles isn't part of the problem.

cookie G
02-10-2013, 06:06 PM
We didn't pass on Flacco for him any more than 16 other teams did. You're applying unfair logic.

No, it isn't.

Not all 16 teams needed a QB. We did.

And we need one now.

You want to let our most dynamic special teams player go simply because Flacco worked out for another team? I'd rather just keep him and the TD's he brings.

No, I don't want to re-sign him because he's a crappy CB who is a part time defensive player who has never improved.

McGee, Parrish, McLovin. Unlike the guard position, that people love to say is easy to replace, return men have never been a problem for the Bills to replace.

cookie G
02-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Resigning McMarbles for a reasonable amount isn't continuing the cycle.

stop being dramatic.

What's a reasonable amount?

its funny how NO ONE... outside of me... is even mentioning the cost of Mario "Fool's Gold" Williams in this whole imbroglio.

but hey... at least we were relevant again.

this is simple.

resign Byrd, Levitre and Mckelvin. They produced. not resigning them means replacing production. Spencer Johnson, Chris Kelsay, Terrance McGee and the like... That's who goes and stays gone.

Then unless Pettine can find a way to motivate Mario... U dump him next offseason.

McMarbles isn't part of the problem.

Levitre produced, Byrd produced...McLovin is a PR that was taken with the 11th pick of the 1st round.

coastal
02-10-2013, 06:20 PM
What's a reasonable amount?3rd CB with a ST kicker amount.

Levitre produced, Byrd produced...McLovin is a PR that was taken with the 11th pick of the 1st round.no one expected him to play at a first round level anymore.

he contributed in his role. Russ should come out and say publicly that he wants him back and that the Bills appreciate his contributions. Then make a fair but respectable offer based on that.

If he thinks he can get more elsewhere, so be it.. but the message will be sent to the rest of the organization and the league for that matter... the Bills will pay for production.

thats culture change.

YardRat
02-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I like McKelvin and the role he fills at the moment, and don't expect much more so he would worth a #3 CB/KR contract. I believe however, as with Levitre, somebody will throw more money at him than Buffalo is willing to pay.

DraftBoy
02-10-2013, 08:06 PM
No, it isn't.

And we need one now.

Need isn't a pre-requisite of passing. Just as I wouldn't reference the inability to know where he was on our board at the time to even suggest it was truly a pass.

No, I don't want to re-sign him because he's a crappy CB who is a part time defensive player who has never improved.

He was arguably your best CB last season. He has improved a heck of a lot, especially when worked in the slot.

k-oneputt
02-11-2013, 07:34 AM
He was not the best cb on the team last season.
He wasn't covering the other teams #1 when he did actually get on the field, so you can take stats however you like to fit your story.
As for that, I'm all for keeping him as a 4th or 5th cb/returner as long as the price is right. No way should he be overpaid and he is down the line after Byrd and Levitre.
He was one of those "were smarter then you picks" from the last reigime of scouts who where more concerned with finding the diamond in the rough pick to show everybody and advance their own standings.

Thief
02-11-2013, 08:10 AM
We should have taken DRC. And if we took Flacco, y'all would have booed him outta town two years ago.

k-oneputt
02-11-2013, 09:53 AM
DRC isn't that good either. Neither should have been drafted at #11.

bf1
02-11-2013, 12:04 PM
I couldn't help but notice 2 former bills on the list.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
No, it isn't.

And we need one now.

McGee, Parrish, McLovin. Unlike the guard position, that people love to say is easy to replace, return men have never been a problem for the Bills to replace.

He's our second best CB as well. There is no shortage of cap room. We can resign our FA's to above market deals and still have room left over.

He was a bad draft pick, we all know that. That doesn't make him a bad football player or a non-contributor. If he had been a 3rd round pick we'd all be satisfied with his progress and production. So long as his salary demands are in line with his production, I'm fine with resigning him. But he's a distant 3rd on the list.

The Jokeman
02-11-2013, 08:21 PM
3rd CB with a ST kicker amount.

no one expected him to play at a first round level anymore.

he contributed in his role. Russ should come out and say publicly that he wants him back and that the Bills appreciate his contributions. Then make a fair but respectable offer based on that.

If he thinks he can get more elsewhere, so be it.. but the message will be sent to the rest of the organization and the league for that matter... the Bills will pay for production.

thats culture change.

He's already commented he feels he deserves number 2 or 3 CB type money. Is he worth it? I say no. He's a great return man but as eluded by Cookie the Bills have had little problem filling that void over the years also one quick note as a KR Brad Smith in the same amount of kicks had only 14 yards returned then Leodis. True Leodis was a great PR last year but I forget that he returned 2 for TDs last year which to me more telling about how vital he was.

coastal
02-11-2013, 08:30 PM
He's already commented he feels he deserves number 2 or 3 CB type money.
Like I said... 3CB with a ST kicker.

hes totally worth that. His performance last year merited that out.

give it to him instead of creating another hole.

DraftBoy
02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
He was not the best cb on the team last season.
He wasn't covering the other teams #1 when he did actually get on the field, so you can take stats however you like to fit your story.
As for that, I'm all for keeping him as a 4th or 5th cb/returner as long as the price is right. No way should he be overpaid and he is down the line after Byrd and Levitre.
He was one of those "were smarter then you picks" from the last reigime of scouts who where more concerned with finding the diamond in the rough pick to show everybody and advance their own standings.

You're first two statements are not mutually exclusive. You can be a teams best CB without covering the best WR. That's not a shot at Gilmore but everbody acknowledges he had his fair share of struggles.

cookie G
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Need isn't a pre-requisite of passing. Just as I wouldn't reference the inability to know where he was on our board at the time to even suggest it was truly a pass.

?????

It matters where he was on their board?

He was available when they drafted
they didn't draft him.

It is OK for them to say, "he wasn't on our board"?

Shouldn't the follow up question be "why not"?

I really doubt he WAS on their board, or at least high on their board. A) they were under the insane belief that Trent Edwards' 8 TD passes made them believe he was their QB of the future and B) they had, and still have.. a DB fetish.

He was arguably your best CB last season. He has improved a heck of a lot, especially when worked in the slot.

Ah, DB you always know how to make me feel better. 2 firsts and a high second invested in the position and McLovin is the best we got out of the group.

I'm sending them a dart board with a bunch of names on it. Russ can even make the throws, but no do overs.

cookie G
02-11-2013, 10:52 PM
He's our second best CB as well. There is no shortage of cap room. We can resign our FA's to above market deals and still have room left over.

He was a bad draft pick, we all know that. That doesn't make him a bad football player or a non-contributor. If he had been a 3rd round pick we'd all be satisfied with his progress and production. So long as his salary demands are in line with his production, I'm fine with resigning him. But he's a distant 3rd on the list.

He won't be paid like a 3rd round pick. But OK, number wise...

Corey Graham got around 2 million a year for 2 years.
William Gay got around 2.5 million a year for 2 years. He got an escalator for playing time this year, I think.

Offer him a little less than them. He can get a raise if he plays more.

But geez people..

-we need to keep this guy;
-we can't let that guy go;
-we need to give this guy 10 million a year...
-we're opening a hole if we let this guy go;

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who watched this defense last year, or over the last few years, especially against any team that had a halfway decent offense.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
He won't be paid like a 3rd round pick. But OK, number wise...

Corey Graham got around 2 million a year for 2 years.
William Gay got around 2.5 million a year for 2 years. He got an escalator for playing time this year, I think.

Offer him a little less than them. He can get a raise if he plays more.

But geez people..

-we need to keep this guy;
-we can't let that guy go;
-we need to give this guy 10 million a year...
-we're opening a hole if we let this guy go;

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who watched this defense last year, or over the last few years, especially against any team that had a halfway decent offense.

The defense was BAD. McKelvin isn't very good, but with so many holes to fill I'm hesitant to create another one.

I think he's a reasonable nickel/dime back and in my mind I see us cutting him and siging the next Chris Watson to fill his spot. The devil you know and stuff...

jamze132
02-12-2013, 04:56 AM
McKelvin is one of the best kick returners and punt catchers in the NFL. And he isn't completely lost in the secondary.

stuckincincy
02-12-2013, 11:24 AM

Mikey Brown might scoop him up if he's axed - another one for his stable of "value" former 1st-round defensive players, adding to Newman, Clemens, Pac-Man, Nelson, Maybin, and so on.

BTW - as usual - CIN is at or near the top in cap space. Something like 40 MM, if IIRC.