PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm, another Levitre option.....

Bills Juggernaut
02-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Read this from Peter King this morning:

8. I think ProFootballTalk made a great point Saturday about one aspect of the free-agent market: the tackle conundrum. There are so many good ones who will be free -- Jake Long, Brandon Albert, Andre Smith, Jermon Bushrod, Ryan Clady (likely to be franchised), Sebastian Vollmer and Sam Baker -- that the value will go down. Teams can likely to get a good tackle for $7 million or $8 million a year if they're patient.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130211/monday-morning-quarterback-peter-king-offseason-week-1/#ixzz2KbDdONXK

Levitre might get top OG money, around 9-10 million a year. What if we let him walk, signed one of the above as our new LT (when there is a big discount as Peter thinks above), and kick Glenn to OG where many people think he can be an all-star every year.....

Just another offseason option to think about.

Albany,n.y.
02-11-2013, 08:05 AM
The Bills drafted Glenn to play tackle. They have no intentions of moving him to guard.
The "many people" aren't employed by the Bills.
Here's a better solution: Just re-sign Levitre and not screw with the O line.

Skooby
02-11-2013, 08:18 AM
The Bills drafted Glenn to play tackle. They have no intentions of moving him to guard.
The "many people" aren't employed by the Bills.
Here's a better solution: Just re-sign Levitre and not screw with the O line.

This is the right way to handle it, just give him more money upfront & less total money.

ThunderGun
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
I agree. Unfortunately, the Bills don't hold all of the cards in this situation.

I think Levitre has made it clear that he intends to hit free agency, see what his value is, and get a huge payday. So we won't be able to extend him before his contract runs out. Hopefully, we will match (or come close to matching) whatever offer he gets, and he will stay. I'm starting to doubt that will happen though.

better days
02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
I agree. Unfortunately, the Bills don't hold all of the cards in this situation.

I think Levitre has made it clear that he intends to hit free agency, see what his value is, and get a huge payday. So we won't be able to extend him before his contract runs out. Hopefully, we will match (or come close to matching) whatever offer he gets, and he will stay. I'm starting to doubt that will happen though.

I thought Levitre said he would like to stay in Buffalo. I have faith Nix will get it done.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't move Glenn to guard, but I'd have no problem with moving him to RT. So sure, sign a really good LT and then draft a guard early to replace Levitre would be fine.

I'd still rather keep Andy and add a real RT, but I won't complain if the Oline improves by following a different path. It's just critical that the line doesn't get worse.

Goobylal
02-11-2013, 01:59 PM
If top LT's are getting just $8M/year, Levitre won't see more than $6M/year.

coastal
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't move Glenn to guard, but I'd have no problem with moving him to RT. So sure, sign a really good LT and then draft a guard early to replace Levitre would be fine.

I'd still rather keep Andy and add a real RT, but I won't complain if the Oline improves by following a different path. It's just critical that the line doesn't get worse.Couldnt agree more.

Scenario... Levitre signs elsewhere for $9 mil per.

We draft Warmack ($4 mil/year rookie deal) and sign Loadholt to play RT for $6 mil per.

In doing so... Communicate to whole world that we are running the ball with CJ and Freddy.

I'd be okay with this.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Couldnt agree more.

Scenario... Levitre signs elsewhere for $9 mil per.

We draft Warmack ($4 mil/year rookie deal) and sign Loadholt to play RT for $6 mil per.

In doing so... Communicate to whole world that we are running the ball with CJ and Freddy.

I'd be okay with this.

I'd even be fine with a second round pick on the second or third best G in the draft.

5 Olineman 4 defenders. You only get one double team. Wood, Levitre and Glenn all go straight up. RG and RT get the double, although teams will try to disguise their rush and get a single matchup against our weakest OL. Best case we get two more good OL so that everyone can play straight up, but even adding a real RT would be a huge benefit since it then allows the double to team to move around.

The line isn't bad, but it's very close to being very good.

coastal
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
The line isn't bad, but it's very close to being very good.
Agreed. A little more focus here is an investment in our best asset... CJ.

clumping platelets
02-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Levitre will get $8 million/year from some team.....we would need to give him $9-10 million/season to avoid FA

Mahdi
02-12-2013, 07:27 AM
The best way to deal with Levitre is to transition tag him. This is exactly what this tag was made for. To tag a player whose value is unknown. By doing that we get to see how much other teams are willing to pay for him. If someone pays him 7-8 mil per and we don't like it we let him walk. If someone offers 5-6 and we do like it, we match and keep him.

I would be extremely surprised if Levitre isn't transition tagged.

Joe Fo Sho
02-12-2013, 07:30 AM
The best way to deal with Levitre is to transition tag him. This is exactly what this tag was made for. To tag a player whose value is unknown. By doing that we get to see how much other teams are willing to pay for him. If someone pays him 7-8 mil per and we don't like it we let him walk. If someone offers 5-6 and we do like it, we match and keep him.

That's a good point, I forgot about the Transition Tag. How often does that get used? I never seem to hear about it, it's always the Franchise Tag.

Mahdi
02-12-2013, 08:03 AM
That's a good point, I forgot about the Transition Tag. How often does that get used? I never seem to hear about it, it's always the Franchise Tag.

It doesn't get used much at all. But this is a situation that makes sense for it simply because you have a player that wants to test FA and we're unsure about his market value.

Spikes came to us through the transition tag.

mightysimi
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
You do open yourself up to poison pill contracts like Seattle got burned with Hutchinson.

Northern Stampede
02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
With Joe D now the Oline coach in San Diego... Im willing to bet they are gonna be a major player in these stakes!!

NOT THE DUDE...
02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
no way you give a guard 10 mil a year... dumb...

resign rinehart and not miss a beat!

better days
02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
You do open yourself up to poison pill contracts like Seattle got burned with Hutchinson.

I'm pretty sure the NFL has put an end to the poison pill contract. But a team could still make a ridiculous offer a team may not want to match.

SABURZFAN
02-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Levitre will get $8 million/year from some team.....we would need to give him $9-10 million/season to avoid FA

if they do that, how does it look cap wise? will they be able to go after somebody else to fill a team need or will they have to rely on the draft to do that?

Fixxxer
02-14-2013, 09:57 PM

Good point, it's a good way for other teams to do the dirty work. The question is, can a team use both tags (transition and franchise) simultaneously? If no is the answer, we better lock Byrd first.

clumping platelets
02-15-2013, 04:57 AM
No....teams cannot use both tags. I'm not even sure the transition tag still exists :scratch: