Slim
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Per his twitter.

braddavery
02-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Hmmm. I don't know how to feel.

Slim
02-11-2013, 12:42 PM
We needed to upgrade wlb regardless. Barnett was not getting the job done. Makes me wonder if the Bills will make a few more cuts today.

psubills62
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Meh. I'm fine with cutting him and I would have been OK with keeping him as a backup.

Slim
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
George Wilson has been cut as well.

EDS
02-11-2013, 01:00 PM
With talents like Moats waiting in the wings why not!!!

SquishDaFish
02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
He was one of the players I liked. As long as we improve im all for it

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I dont think Barnett lived up to the hype. Not happy about George Wilson though.

bigbub2352
02-11-2013, 01:14 PM
tuff cut plays hard but production last yr was lost...keep the cuts comin

The last buffalo fan
02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
With talents like Moats waiting in the wings why not!!!

:ill:

justasportsfan
02-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Classy exit!

I was told I'll be released today by the Buffalo Bills. Thanks to all the great Fans and friends I have met in Western New York.. It was Truly a pleasure being apart of that organization and culture.. Very unfortunate we didn't get the Bills to the playoffs but I know you You guys will have many successful years ahead of you. Thanks #billsmafia for all your support.. Sad to leave but like they say when one One door closes more open up.. All in Gods hands..

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/02/11/barnett-says-hes-being-released/

Mouldsie
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Questionable

JoeMama
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Nick Barnett was the best LB on the roster. Granted that's not the biggest endorsement of all time but if we're going to clean out the defense, I can think of better places to start than Barnett and George Wilson.

fluteflakes
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Makes sense, trying to resign Byrd, and we needed the cap room.

Hopefully this means we pick up a true ILB in the draft.

Meathead
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
nick and george just hand your paychecks to andy

IlluminatusUIUC
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Nick Barnett was the best LB on the roster. Granted that's not the biggest endorsement of all time but if we're going to clean out the defense, I can think of better places to start than Barnett and George Wilson.

He was also the most expensive, and IMO his production wasn't matching his salary.

Extremebillsfan247
02-11-2013, 02:08 PM
I think the Bills might go after Bart Scott, a Pettine favorite, and plays the same position Barnett played last year. Both these players were released most likely to make room for new additions to the roster. JMO

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
He wasn't good, but if he was the third best LB on the field it wouldn't be a problem. Now we have zero NFL quality LB's on the team. Holy ****.

k-oneputt
02-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Good. It was time for both of them to go. Neither played that well this past year imo and both are getting old. Good move.

better days
02-11-2013, 02:14 PM
He wasn't good, but if he was the third best LB on the field it wouldn't be a problem. Now we have zero NFL quality LB's on the team. Holy ****.

I will bet when the season starts the Bills will have a better LB group than they have had in a while. I liked Barnett, but he did not produce last year.

lmcshadow
02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
:scratch: Well what do you expect.

JoeMama
02-11-2013, 02:24 PM
He was also the most expensive, and IMO his production wasn't matching his salary.

I don't care about his salary. It's not my money. Besides, we're 20+ million under the cap. We can franchise tag Jairus Byrd and still throw a dump truck full of money at Andy Levitre.

Regarding Nick Barnett's production, keep in mind that he was an inside linebacker with Green Bay. Inexplicably Dave Wannstedt moved him outside because Wanny is a horrific terrible evaluator of talent and an even worse defensive coordinator. The fact that Wanny was stupid enough to let Kelvin Sheppard remain at ILB unchallenged should tell you how grossly incompetent he was.

Cut Sheppard, slide Barnett back to the middle, and draft a young guy to take over by 2014.

Everything about this move shows a complete lack of planning and zero competence. I should be used to it now but this team loves finding new and interesting ways to infuriate me.

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2013, 02:31 PM
I don't care about his salary. It's not my money. Besides, we're 20+ million under the cap. We can franchise tag Jairus Byrd and still throw a dump truck full of money at Andy Levitre.

Regarding Nick Barnett's production, keep in mind that he was an inside linebacker with Green Bay. Inexplicably Dave Wannstedt moved him outside because Wanny is a horrific terrible evaluator of talent and an even worse defensive coordinator. The fact that Wanny was stupid enough to let Kelvin Sheppard remain at ILB unchallenged should tell you how grossly incompetent he was.

Cut Sheppard, slide Barnett back to the middle, and draft a young guy to take over by 2014.

Everything about this move shows a complete lack of planning and zero competence. I should be used to it now but this team loves finding new and interesting ways to infuriate me.

Barnett has been a 3-4 ILB his whole career, which is somewhat different than a 4-3 LB, so to me your argument that he switched positions from what he played in GB is moot.

Thief
02-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Barnett has been a 3-4 ILB his whole career, which is somewhat different than a 4-3 LB, so to me your argument that he switched positions from what he played in GB is moot.What do the Bills plan to run this year?

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't care about his salary. It's not my money. Besides, we're 20+ million under the cap.

I agree 100%. I always hate the money arguments, totally irrelevant. Unless the team is up against to cap AND wants to free up cap room to make additional moves, It's completely and totally irrelevant. So the guy is paid a little more than he earned? Big ****ing deal. It doesn't matter unless it prevented us from signing better talent.

And there's no ****ing way that has happened yet.

We better bring in 3 new LBs this offseason that are all better than Barnett.

Thief
02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
I agree 100%. I always hate the money arguments, totally irrelevant. Unless the team is up against to cap AND wants to free up cap room to make additional moves, It's completely and totally irrelevant. So the guy is paid a little more than he earned? Big ****ing deal. It doesn't matter unless it prevented us from signing better talent.

And there's no ****ing way that has happened yet.

We better bring in 3 new LBs this offseason that are all better than Barnett.
I think it would be less frustrating if you waited until they didn't spend the money prior to *****ing about them not spending the money. Just saying.

EDS
02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Barnett has been a 3-4 ILB his whole career, which is somewhat different than a 4-3 LB, so to me your argument that he switched positions from what he played in GB is moot.

I believe Barnett went to his only Pro Bowl as a 403 linebacker in GB, though I do not know if he played inside or outside in that scheme.

BuffaloWingEater
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Makes sense, trying to resign Byrd, and we needed the cap room.

Hopefully this means we pick up a true ILB in the draft.

not to be a dick, but we don't have cap issues.

fluteflakes
02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
We can just throw money at Ellerbe. Considering the Ravens are going to be severely hamstrung by Flacco and his new contract, we might be able to get him and not spend too too much. I think he's a more than ample replacement for Barnett.

And I'm well aware we don't have cap issues, but these move were obviously made with the intent to free up even more room so we can re-sign our key guys. And maybe make a few more additions in FA.

BuffaloWingEater
02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
What do the Bills plan to run this year?

hybrid

Thief
02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
hybridRight, so why would moving Barnett to his natural 3-4 ILB position be a moot point?

ParanoidAndroid
02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
nick and george just hand your paychecks to andy

Hey! Thanks! I can do a lot with that kind of cash!

IlluminatusUIUC
02-11-2013, 02:52 PM

He's on the wrong side of 30 and was only so-so on one of the worst defenses we've ever fielded. I'd much rather use that money towards a player on the right side of 30 like Byrd, Levitre, Wallace, or - dare to dream- Flacco. If we get a QB in FA or the first, I don't mind if they use their next 3 picks on linebackers.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I think it would be less frustrating if you waited until they didn't spend the money prior to *****ing about them not spending the money. Just saying.

Not really. We don't have a great track record of spending money in the offseason, and the odds of adding 3 LB's better than Barnett is pretty slim. But to me, there is almost zero chance we spend to the cap this season and bring in 3 new starting LB's, so I can't see this move as anything but something that saves us money and makes us marginally worse.

Jaybird
02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Bart Scott just makes sense as a vet

trapezeus
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
the cut has been made. if it was made because he was expensive, i can live with that. he was. but they need to show us that they are reinvesting that money into a younger, better LB in FA. now they need to pay up for a better LB (not Bart Scott) and then supplement with rookies.

if they honestly think getting 3 rookies, all after round 3 is going to be much better, they are delusional. And this is precisely why people call them cheap. i am fine getting rookies and drafting people, but barnett is a leader. might not be great last year, but he had the right attitude. and he would have been depth

better days
02-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Not really. We don't have a great track record of spending money in the offseason, and the odds of adding 3 LB's better than Barnett is pretty slim. But to me, there is almost zero chance we spend to the cap this season and bring in 3 new starting LB's, so I can't see this move as anything but something that saves us money and makes us marginally worse.

Well, Barnett is part of that track record of spending money in the offseason. He was a FA Nix signed.

YardRat
02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
We really only need two LBers, Bradham isn't going anywhere and he could thrive in an attacking system. One, even, considering the majority of the time we will probably be in nickel and dime. Plus a depth player.

better days
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
the cut has been made. if it was made because he was expensive, i can live with that. he was. but they need to show us that they are reinvesting that money into a younger, better LB in FA. now they need to pay up for a better LB (not Bart Scott) and then supplement with rookies.

if they honestly think getting 3 rookies, all after round 3 is going to be much better, they are delusional. And this is precisely why people call them cheap. i am fine getting rookies and drafting people, but barnett is a leader. might not be great last year, but he had the right attitude. and he would have been depth

I think it is more about getting players that Pettine knows & that know Pettines system. I would not be surprised to see Scott & Landry in Buffalo when the Season starts.

coastal
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM

U love u some Barnett.

dont understand why... he sucks.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
U love u some Barnett.

He sucks less than every other LB on the roster and we aren't about to bring in three new LB's.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Barnett is part of that track record of spending money in the offseason. He was a FA Nix signed.

I didn't realize we spent to the cap that offseason.

better days
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
U love u some Barnett.

Well, I love me some Barnett as well. He had a bad year last year, I don't know how he will play going forward, but I wish him the best.

Slim
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Per Adam Caplan:
Former Bills LB Nick Barnett's release was listed as failed physical.

better days
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
He sucks less than every other LB on the roster and we aren't about to bring in three new LB's.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't realize we spent to the cap that offseason.

I didn't know you were talking about spending to the cap, I thought you were talking about who they spent the money on. The Bills have no choice but to spend money from this point forward with the new CBA.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I didn't know you were talking about spending to the cap, I thought you were talking about who they spent the money on. The Bills have no choice but to spend money from this point forward with the new CBA.
That's my point. The money doesn't matter unless it keeps us from signing someone else. Since we aren't even close to the cap it isn't keeping us from signing anyone. So we just cut our best (but overpaid) LB, the only way that makes sense is if we bring in three new starting LBs or spend to cap. Niether of which is going to happen.

coastal
02-11-2013, 04:21 PM
He sucks less than every other LB on the roster no he doesn't.

He was a liability every time he was on the field.

Bradham is a baller and Shep will be reborn under Pettine.

Scott can play another couple... take a run at Ellerbe... Resign Merriman... Draft one or two...

Barnett... Still going to suck.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
no he doesn't.

He was a liability every time he was on the field.

Bradham is a baller and Shep will be reborn under Pettine.

Scott can play another couple... take a run at Ellerbe... Resign Merriman... Draft one or two...

Barnett... Still going to suck.

Agreed on Merriman and Bradham (not much to go on, but he looked good).

I don't see any evidence of Shep being anything other than a young LB aspiring to become the next Barnett, and I'm not sure he makes it. Barnett led the team in tackles, that isn't so much an endorsement of him but a condemnation of how bad the rest of the LBs were.

Barnett played 92% of the snaps, that's a big hole to fill and you and I both know it won't be filled with equal or better talent. And even if they managed to bring in some better LBs he'd still be a great backup. Who gives a **** what he's getting paid, it isn't like we're near the cap and once that becomes a problem, then cut him.

coastal
02-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Agreed on Merriman and Bradham (not much to go on, but he looked good).

I don't see any evidence of Shep being anything other than a young LB aspiring to become the next Barnett, and I'm not sure he makes it. Barnett led the team in tackles, that isn't so much an endorsement of him but a condemnation of how bad the rest of the LBs were.

Barnett played 92% of the snaps, that's a big hole to fill and you and I both know it won't be filled with equal or better talent. And even if they managed to bring in some better LBs he'd still be a great backup. Who gives a **** what he's getting paid, it isn't like we're near the cap and once that becomes a problem, then cut him.
Assuming Pettine is uploading with Nix... they apparently think they can do better.

my guess is that "better" is going to be Scott.

Night Train
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Barnett played 92% of the snaps, that's a big hole to fill and you and I both know it won't be filled with equal or better talent.

So what ?

The Packers moved him out before and he's at the end of his career. It's time for some youth with actual speed and the ability to finish the tackle. He wasn't playing well and neither was Wilson. Film doesn't lie to fresh coaching staffs.

Get rid of these guys and bring in the future.

better days
02-11-2013, 05:35 PM
That's my point. The money doesn't matter unless it keeps us from signing someone else. Since we aren't even close to the cap it isn't keeping us from signing anyone. So we just cut our best (but overpaid) LB, the only way that makes sense is if we bring in three new starting LBs or spend to cap. Niether of which is going to happen.

It does not matter how much you spend, it is how you spend it. There are a number of teams with losing records that spent a lot of money last year.

EDS
02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
It does not matter how much you spend, it is how you spend it. There are a number of teams with losing records that spent a lot of money last year.

Exactly. The Bills won the offseason last year and look how it paid dividends on the field!!!!!

Bert102176
02-11-2013, 06:26 PM
I think the Bills might go after Bart Scott, a Pettine favorite, and plays the same position Barnett played last year. Both these players were released most likely to make room for new additions to the roster. JMO

Scott can't make any plays and is a p.o.s. imo get needs to retire

EDS
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Scott can't make any plays and is a p.o.s. imo get needs to retire

And Bart Scott is even older then Barnett! So of course he would be a perfect fit . . .

Bert102176
02-11-2013, 06:33 PM
I thilnk the Bills are going after the olb from the jags

tampabay25690
02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
U love u some Barnett.

U are so right...
Good guy but never lived up to his hype..... Lost speed the last year....
Glad he is being replaced!!

- - - Updated - - -

Hope Jarvis Jones is there at #8

kingJofNYC
02-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Patterson, Jordan or Vaccarro are the guys to look for with the 8th pick. If the bills had interest in Barron last year, no reason to not consider Vaccaro.

Jordan can rush and cover, hybrid guy for hybrid D.

madness
02-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Two more tomorrow!

BertSquirtgum
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Thank god George Wilson was cut. He is so bad.

fluteflakes
02-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Really hope this means Bradham gets more time as well, I think once he learns our new system he can use his speed to be a force.

Thief
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Not really. We don't have a great track record of spending money in the offseason, and the odds of adding 3 LB's better than Barnett is pretty slim. But to me, there is almost zero chance we spend to the cap this season and bring in 3 new starting LB's, so I can't see this move as anything but something that saves us money and makes us marginally worse.What if we fielded one that was better, and spent up to the cap nabbing a difference maker like a stud WR during FA in the process? Our other two projected starting LBs make the minimum. Barnett was not 6 times better. If they spend up to the cap and spend the money wiser, I have zero issue.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 10:51 PM
What if we fielded one that was better, and spent up to the cap nabbing a difference maker like a stud WR during FA in the process? Our other two projected starting LBs make the minimum. Barnett was not 6 times better. If they spend up to the cap and spend the money wiser, I have zero issue.

If we spend up to the cap, I have no problem at all with him being cut, I'd actually applaud it. If we don't spend to the cap, this cut really doesn't make a lot of sense, a worse LB will get more playing time.

jimmifli
02-11-2013, 10:54 PM
It's time for some youth with actual speed and the ability to finish the tackle. He wasn't playing well and neither was Wilson. Film doesn't lie to fresh coaching staffs.

Get rid of these guys and bring in the future.

I've been waiting for the future for 15 years. I'm all for replacing bad players with better players. But I don't see that happening here, I see a bad player being replaced by a worse player.

And some dumbasses cheering about the new direction and bringing in young players. 15 ****ing years of the same **** and people still can't figure this **** out.

jamze132
02-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Barnett was cut for failing a physical, so they say. I'm sure it wasn't just that but that allows OBD to save face.

Night Train
02-12-2013, 05:10 AM
I've been waiting for the future for 15 years. I'm all for replacing bad players with better players. But I don't see that happening here, I see a bad player being replaced by a worse player.

And some dumbasses cheering about the new direction and bringing in young players. 15 ****ing years of the same **** and people still can't figure this **** out.

A guy like Pettine has to bring in some vets from his Jets/Ravens days to help execute his D while drafting much better alternatives to perform in this D, long term. On field coaches for a couple years, then the youth must sink or swim.

*****ing about the past doesn't mean anything now. It's a new staff and that's what they all do.

I'm very familiar with the team history, dating back to my first game in person in 1965.

Mahdi
02-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Barnett had a very difficult year. Mainly, he was destroyed in pass coverage and wasn't a big enough asset in run defense to justify keeping him ahead of younger players.

Thief
02-12-2013, 07:21 AM
If we spend up to the cap, I have no problem at all with him being cut, I'd actually applaud it. If we don't spend to the cap, this cut really doesn't make a lot of sense, a worse LB will get more playing time.
I agree with this. But all I said was you would feel less frustration if you just waited until they did not spend up to the cap. I know about their history, but I wouldn't assume that they will not spend all they can this year.

mjt328
02-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Barnett struggled with our switch to the 4-3, mostly because he can't cover worth a crap.

With that said, (sad to say) he was easily our best linebacker last year.

stuckincincy
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Barnett struggled with our switch to the 4-3, mostly because he can't cover worth a crap.

IMO, the (many) rule changes through the past several years has resulted in not many lbs being able to cover passes very well.

Mahdi
02-12-2013, 01:13 PM

I actually thought he was our worst LB. Sheppard was coming on towards the end and Bradham too. Both had bigger impacts. Barnett was actually a liability.

Jeff1220
02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=Mahdi;3753597]I actually thought he was our worst LB. Sheppard was coming on towards the end and Bradham too. Both had bigger impacts. Barnett was actually a liability.[/QUOTE

A couple of pages back, someone said to cut Sheppard. lol. He's going into his third season this year with a ton of starting experience on a rookie contract. Even if he doesn't pan out as a legit starter under Pettine, he's cheap reliable depth. An they want to cut him. Smh.