• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

This is how you get rid of a losing culture

You cut your leaders who aren't fighting for it every single play.

Wilson is a Captain, Barnett a veteran leader both have been seen coasting and not attacking late in games. Cutting these guys tells your locker room, you play hard or you play elsewhere.

It's exactly how you start the process of changing the mindset of a team. More heads will roll and veterans like Mario & Stevie will be talked to as well. The selfish me first stuff has to go.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Bangarang
    • Sep 2010

Re: This is how you get rid of a losing culture

I think it sends more of a message like "If you suck, you will not play for us."

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

these guys were good teammates who helped younger players. Our losing was not because of them but the coaching staff. If our leaders were losers then should we should cut Kyle Williams and Stevie.

To say that Barnnett wasn't giving it his all is not accurate. From what I saw he was trying his hardest and was even better than Sheppard all year. He did get burned at times was just not used to playing the 4-3.

If we're keeping Sheppard and guys like Bradham its most likely we're going with youth and not because Wilson and Barnnett were losers.
      Last edited by justasportsfan; 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Here's the only issue I have: there have been far too many times when the Bills have cut dead weight, only to fail to replace them with someone better or even equal.

So, while I don't have a problem cutting either guy, it leaves us short on bodies at both positions. The FO better have a plan on how to improve them.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by The King View Post
          You cut your leaders who aren't fighting for it every single play.

Wilson is a Captain, Barnett a veteran leader both have been seen coasting and not attacking late in games. Cutting these guys tells your locker room, you play hard or you play elsewhere.

It's exactly how you start the process of changing the mindset of a team. More heads will roll and veterans like Mario & Stevie will be talked to as well. The selfish me first stuff has to go.
          The Bills are losing because their "star" players like Mario Williams can't lead, which is why you needed some modest veteran talents to take up that role.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

Barnett knows what a winning culture is, having played in Green Bay for 8 years. I'm surprised the Bills cut him, really. He was a best linebacker, and that speaks to how bad that squad is. He was good in 2011 and had a down year this year.

George Wilson was a Bill for 8 years. Maybe it's time to move Aaron Williams over to Safety.

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by EDS View Post
              The Bills are losing because their "star" players like Mario Williams can't lead, which is why you needed some modest veteran talents to take up that role.
              Bruce Smith was never a leader in the locker room, Darryl Talley was. I'd also say that Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas weren't leaders either. This team needs some serious talent improvement before starting calling out "non leaders".

Comment

• fluteflakes
                • Jan 2013

Know what helps bring out better leadership? Winning.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Gotta start somewhere...other guys are going to have to step up.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                    Bruce Smith was never a leader in the locker room, Darryl Talley was. I'd also say that Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas weren't leaders either. This team needs some serious talent improvement before starting calling out "non leaders".
                    Talley was a leader for sure - and he was also talented. Mario Williams specifically told the Bills he was not coming to be a leader. He came for the paycheck and because playing in a low key low expectation environment like B-lo would be easy.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                      • Sep 2003

I want every player on this team to feel insecure about their job. These cuts are a good start.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Neither player was a fit for the new defense.......we just saved over $6 million on the cap that can be used to bring in their replacements.

Comment

• bf1
                          • Oct 2010

I liked Wilson, but I don't think we'll miss him one bit. Barnett was one of the phantom LBs, we won't miss him either.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                            • Oct 2002

If losing Wilson and Barnett helps keep Byrd and Levitre then I am all for it.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

They're just making some room for ex-Jets/Ravens to come in and teach others the D.

Sherlock Holmes isn't needed to figure this one out.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X