PDA

View Full Version : When does Vanek demand a trade?

OpIv37
02-12-2013, 02:35 PM
He's putting up career numbers without any support.

In the past, he's been part of the problem, but this year he's carrying the team by himself.

I'm not going to let 1/3 of a strike-shortened season override the last 4 years, but I can't help but wonder if Vanke has been held back by Lindy and the crap he's been given to work with.

And yes, I've been very critical of him in the past for not living up to his contract and if he reverts to that form I'll be more than happy to get his salary off the books. But right now he's earning every penny and he's the only one.

trapezeus
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
i always liked vanek. he become a big time player on line two on a stacked team. it's taken him a while to get to an elite level for this short period. but he is still playing with a very weak team.

if the sabres are intent on keeping ruff for ever, they should be accepting offers for vanek right now. because lindy will never put him with a great center. and the sabres will never chase after another great wing to complement him.

PTI
02-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Vanek loves Buffalo, he doesn't want to go. I would be equally pissed about losing as I would be getting my butt kicked all the time, this guy just takes more punishment in front of the net than anyone and hardly is the beneficiary of calls.

Mski
02-12-2013, 03:21 PM
In the past, he's been part of the problem, but this year he's carrying the team by himself.

And yes, I've been very critical of him in the past for not living up to his contract and if he reverts to that form I'll be more than happy to get his salary off the books. But right now he's earning every penny and he's the only one. He is in the top 5 (third i believe) in total goals scored since the lockout season... so tell me again how he is not living up to a contract he signed after that lock out? you always use his salary as if its some kind of point against him. and it just makes you look foolish. you're usually pretty spot on with your critiques but this one is just obsurd.

Crisis
02-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Vanek loves Buffalo, he doesn't want to go. I would be equally pissed about losing as I would be getting my butt kicked all the time, this guy just takes more punishment in front of the net than anyone and hardly is the beneficiary of calls.

Yeah, the guy takes a beating in front of the net. His slumps are mostly attributed to all the minor injuries adding up because of the pounding he takes going to the areas other players wont.

SkateZilla
02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
the Problem isnt beign in buffalo, it's being under RUFF.

and this Collapse Puck chasing system he's got in place .

don137
02-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I couldn't imagine what the Sabres record would be without Vanek.

Skooby
02-12-2013, 08:31 PM
I couldn't imagine what the Sabres record would be without Vanek.

We'd have a high draft pick.

OpIv37
02-13-2013, 07:53 AM
He is in the top 5 (third i believe) in total goals scored since the lockout season... so tell me again how he is not living up to a contract he signed after that lock out? you always use his salary as if its some kind of point against him. and it just makes you look foolish. you're usually pretty spot on with your critiques but this one is just obsurd.
Uhhhh yeah, goals since the lockout is a pretty strange measure if whether he lives up to his contract.

Two years back or so, he was down near 40th in the league in goals. I wish I could find the thread but I did a quick "cost per goal" analysis and Vaneks number was off the charts bad.

And it's "absurd."

Mski
02-13-2013, 08:44 AM
ok so i looked into it, Vanek is 5th in goals since the lock out, and 2nd in cost per goal {out of those 5 and joe thorton (for giggles)}
my math includes a full years salary for this year and this years goals ( so yes its flawed, but flawed evenly)

Ovechkin - 721 goals $99,861/goal
Heatly - 284 goals $225,352/goal
Iginla - 281 goals $199,228/goal
Crosby - 261 goals $229,885/goal
Vanek - 258 goals $198,449/goal
Joe Thorton - 178 goals $359,551/goal

OpIv37
02-13-2013, 08:56 AM
The flaw in that is that it includes the two years before Vaneks current contract came in, when we had Drury and Briere.

His production dropped off significantly after they left and he got he contract, and he didnt pick back up until this year.

So, on his current contract, his cost per goal is much higher.

Mski
02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
the math was warped that way for all of them

Mski
02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
The flaw in that is that it includes the two years before Vaneks current contract came in, when we had Drury and Briere.

His production dropped off significantly after they left and he got he contract, and he didnt pick back up until this year.

so based on numbers from cap geek
vanek - $238,095/goal
Ovechkin -$82,101
Iginla - $199,288
Crosby - $209,195
Heatley - $273,723
Thorton - $297,917

PTI
02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
If we did dump Vanek for all those Oilers draft picks I bet Ruff would be gone. For as much as I love Vanek as a player I hate Ruff more as the coach, I want that trade back.

rbochan
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Vanek and Miller need to march up into TP's office and have a meeting with TP, and Ted Black.

Tell them they're sick of wasting their peak career years under this coach who has just not been working here the past 16 seasons and GM who fails to acquire the pieces needed to be a contender and if something isn't done - they're not going to carry this team on their back the rest of the season and will look to the free market when the contracts expire.

braddavery
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Vanek and Miller need to march up into TP's office and have a meeting with TP, and Ted Black.

Tell them they're sick of wasting their peak career years under this coach who has just not been working here the past 16 seasons and GM who fails to acquire the pieces needed to be a contender and if something isn't done - they're not going to carry this team on their back the rest of the season and will look to the free market when the contracts expire.

Or publicly question their teammates' lack of effort and results.

DraftBoy
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Are you really trying to invoke the Rovell rule? Cost per production, despite there being countless unmeasured production aspects. Rovell is mocked constantly for this, its a horribly inaccurate way to break anybody down in any sport.

OpIv37
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Are you really trying to invoke the Rovell rule? Cost per production, despite there being countless unmeasured production aspects. Rovell is mocked constantly for this, its a horribly inaccurate way to break anybody down in any sport.
Yeah, you're right. It doesn't account for the times Vanek fans on a puck in the crease or shoots it wide of an open net or misses a breakaway or gets an offensive zone penalty or goes into a 6 week slump.