PDA

View Full Version : Sharrif Floyd?

CleveSteve
02-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Hey everyone, what are your opinions on Sharrif Floyd? I don't see much special from him. He was downright ordinary vs. Louisville, but he's rated very highly in a number of places. What am I missing? Thanks.

Mouldsie
02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
From what I hear 2011 was his best year on tape but he has not been highly productive statistically in any year. I think scouts like his versatility and potential and his hype from HS is still carrying over. I'm with you though, doesnt seem to stand out like a top 5-10 pick the way people say he's guaranteed to become.

DraftBoy
02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Fits the versatility mold.

Mouldsie
02-17-2013, 11:16 PM
When you can move in ways 300 lb men usually don't you know coaches are going to want to coach you up. He is a better prospect than Poe.

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 07:05 AM
When you can move in ways 300 lb men usually don't you know coaches are going to want to coach you up. He is a better prospect than Poe.

They are also completely different prospects. Not sure that's a fair comp.

Mouldsie
02-18-2013, 11:41 AM
The comparison is that they are both tremendous athletes that may be drafted higher than their tape would garner but at least Floyd was more productive in a much tougher conference

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
The comparison is that they are both tremendous athletes that may be drafted higher than their tape would garner but at least Floyd was more productive in a much tougher conference

But they do completely different things in a similar scheme. Poe's job was to take up space, eat up blockers, and collapse the pocket and he was very good at it. Floyd's job was to penetrate, crash the edge, and make plays which he was very good at. You're trying to take the label of DT (even though Floyd played a lot of DE at UF) and apply is evenly when that's neither fair or correct.

Mouldsie
02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Tell me where I said they had the same assignment and I will apologize to them both personally.

tampabay25690
02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Hey everyone, what are your opinions on Sharrif Floyd? I don't see much special from him. He was downright ordinary vs. Louisville, but he's rated very highly in a number of places. What am I missing? Thanks.

Don't rate anyone in that Louisville game the Gators were plain out awful......
This wasnt the same group I saw vs A@M, LSU, or FSU...

Floyd is a beast great player and will only get better.
Great penetration into the backfield and very fast for a guy his size.

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Tell me where I said they had the same assignment and I will apologize to them both personally.

Ummm...you realize what comparison implies?

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW Mayock today says Floyd could be a target at 3 for Raiders.

Mouldsie
02-18-2013, 03:07 PM
What about it? And who first brought up the term? I could have just as easily said the Floyd train was similar to Chandler Jones or JPP would that have made you feel better? Worse?

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
What about it? And who first brought up the term? I could have just as easily said the Floyd train was similar to Chandler Jones or JPP would that have made you feel better? Worse?

I'm not quite sure you understand my point if you think a different comparison to an equally illogical prospect makes a difference.

Mouldsie
02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
You're point is a straw man.

CleveSteve
02-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Don't rate anyone in that Louisville game the Gators were plain out awful......
This wasnt the same group I saw vs A@M, LSU, or FSU...

Floyd is a beast great player and will only get better.
Great penetration into the backfield and very fast for a guy his size.

Matt Elam was still very good in that game. Only gator that showed up IMO.

DraftBoy
02-19-2013, 07:35 PM
You're point is a straw man.

I'm now 100% sure you don't understand the point.

Mouldsie
02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm now 100% sure you don't understand the point.
Your point is irrelevant. Am I supposed to thank you for "educating" me or something?

I would not disagree with your point if I actually said the things you claim I said. If you would pull your arrogant ego out of it you would see that you were merely trying to win a point rather than discuss the prospect. I never said Floyd and Poe had the same responsibilities and skills. I was stating that they are both physical freaks with more in potential than on college tape and SF will go high for that reason (coaches will want to mold the physical ability) but that I do believe Floyd has shown more of the latter at least. Stop being a douche.

Mouldsie
02-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Tell me oh wise draft boy, the difference between a 1 gap assignment and a 2 gap assignment, I shoe nuff dont undastan wat these boys be doin on do foosball feeld. i dun even no wat a gap is!! LOLOLZZ

DraftBoy
02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Your point is irrelevant. Am I supposed to thank you for "educating" me or something?

I would not disagree with your point if I actually said the things you claim I said. If you would pull your arrogant ego out of it you would see that you were merely trying to win a point rather than discuss the prospect. I never said Floyd and Poe had the same responsibilities and skills. I was stating that they are both physical freaks with more in potential than on college tape and SF will go high for that reason (coaches will want to mold the physical ability) but that I do believe Floyd has shown more of the latter at least. Stop being a douche.

Wow...again quite clear you don't get the point. Not a big deal, its simply a poor comparison. No reason to get all upset about it.

Mouldsie
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes. I dont get the point. Thanks for teaching me about defensive line assignments. I look forward to your explaining to me what a football is in the future.

Mouldsie
02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Sharrif Floyd = Trent Williams

tampabay25690
02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Matt Elam was still very good in that game. Only gator that showed up IMO.

Agree 100% then again Elam showed up every game.
Will be a solid NFL player

tampabay25690
02-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Sharrif Floyd = Trent Williams

I seen Floyd play and reminds me of a bigger Warren Sapp.
Very fast for his size.

coastal
02-22-2013, 01:07 AM
Sharrif Floyd is a very active big man.

the games I watched.... I tended to notice him more often than not... And was impressed.

tampabay25690
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Sharrif Floyd is a very active big man.

the games I watched.... I tended to notice him more often than not... And was impressed.

He is moving up and up....

coastal
02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
He is moving up and up....
Wouldn't be upset if the Bills took him at all.

ive been saying for going on two years, the we need to find someone to split the load with Kyle Williams if we plan to extend his career.

that someone shouldn't be some nameless bag of crap like Spencer Johnson.

tampabay25690
02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't be upset if the Bills took him at all.

ive been saying for going on two years, the we need to find someone to split the load with Kyle Williams if we plan to extend his career.

that someone shouldn't be some nameless bag of crap like Spencer Johnson.

Dont see it happening at all....

coastal
02-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Dont see it happening at all....
I don't either but I wouldnt run the Bills the way it has been.

tampabay25690
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't either but I wouldnt run the Bills the way it has been.

I could see QB, LB, CB, or WR at that pick.
To be honest I would be fine with any of those picks.
I actually would luv to see Jarvis Jones fall to the Bills at 8

coastal
02-22-2013, 03:20 PM
I could see QB, LB, CB, or WR at that pick.
To be honest I would be fine with any of those picks.
I actually would luv to see Jarvis Jones fall to the Bills at 8
The spinal stuff scares me on Jarvis.

I think DT and RT are top needs as well.

tampabay25690
02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
The spinal stuff scares me on Jarvis.

I think DT and RT are top needs as well.

Doesn't scare me 1 sec.
Games u watch when he is at his best he is he best player on the field ...

cookie G
02-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Doesn't scare me 1 sec.
Games u watch when he is at his best he is he best player on the field ...

That's not the problem with stenosis. It isn't like a bum knee, where a person is measurably slower, or their ability to cut is impaired. Many don't even know they have it.

It's like driving a car with a bad suspension part. It might not affect performance, and it might last the life of your car, if you are lucky.

On the other hand, if it wears just a little..or if one turn is taken a little too hard, very bad things are going to happen...
Darryl Stingley bad. That's a pretty big risk for a guy who's job it is to stick his head into people while running at full speed.

I agree, the guy is good. But if I'm a GM, I wouldn't want to be the one to help put him in a wheelchair.

DraftBoy
02-23-2013, 01:57 PM
That's not the problem with stenosis. It isn't like a bum knee, where a person is measurably slower, or their ability to cut is impaired. Many don't even know they have it.

It's like driving a car with a bad suspension part. It might not affect performance, and it might last the life of your car, if you are lucky.

On the other hand, if it wears just a little..or if one turn is taken a little too hard, very bad things are going to happen...
Darryl Stingley bad. That's a pretty big risk for a guy who's job it is to stick his head into people while running at full speed.

I agree, the guy is good. But if I'm a GM, I wouldn't want to be the one to help put him in a wheelchair.

Spinal Stenosis is exactly what ended Marcus McNeil's career.

cookie G
02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Spinal Stenosis is exactly what ended Marcus McNeil's career.

Yep. Chris Samuels too, though he hung around 9 years.

In the late 80's the Bills had a decent CB, a 1st rounder, Derrick Burroughs. He had temporary paralysis in a game and they discovered the stenosis afterwards. The Bills forced him to retire. For a while, he wasn't happy about it.

DERRICK BURROUGHS

\o7 Burroughs Hospitalized Only As Precaution\f7

--Headline from Sept. 25 edition of The Buffalo News.

Burroughs is out of football now. He didn't want to quit, but the Buffalo Bills gave him no choice. So on Nov. 15, when he stepped to the podium and told the Buffalo media that he was through with the NFL, he did so under protest, though it's still difficult to understand why.

His right arm is partially numb and getting worse each day. And while the swelling in one of his cervical disks has decreased, there remains this matter of spinal stenosis, a fancy way of saying that Burroughs' spinal canal is too narrow. Another hit like the one he took Sept. 24, when his entire body went numb for a half-hour, and who knows what might happen, said the Bills, who deemed his condition an unnecessary risk.

"There was no other option in my mind," said Richard Weiss, the team physician. "Derrick was a criminal justice major in college. I told Derrick that as far as I was concerned, he should really pursue that area of his life. I told him that 10 years from now I would like to see him on the street and be able to shake his hand."

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-31/sports/sp-374_1_neck-injuries/5

I had read that he traveled around looking for a cure for a while. Obviously never found it.

At the time I thought the Bills made the right decision. Still do.

tampabay25690
02-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Hey if I can get 6 years out of Jarvis Jones sign me up now!!!