PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on FLacco - Peter King quote

trapezeus
02-14-2013, 07:41 AM
from his monday article and a tweet I saw this morning:

"
Cleveland's not the only team that could be interested. Ralph Wilson would write the check tomorrow for Flacco to come to Buffalo, draft picks be damned. The Bills are only $14.2 million under the cap, so they'd have to maneuver a few pricey contracts. But the Bills would have to think long and hard about Flacco. Cleveland, with its available riches, would be the best candidate.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130211/monday-morning-quarterback-peter-king-offseason-week-1/#ixzz2Ksi74su3

What do you all think? giving up the 8th pick for flacco and next year's first. Was flacco that good? at first i hated the idea. thinking more about it, we can cut kelsay at get an additional 5 in capspace. flacco while not always lights out has been pretty reliable to be decent. better than what we got and frankly better than what we can get out of the draft with certainty.

the d has to get better and they might be getting close with the right defensive mind and knowing they don't really have to draft much else for OL.

The issue to me is that flacco's second half performances in the playoffs were not so good. he made a couple throws, but was largely invisible. he connected on a miracle throw in denver because of poor coverage. he connected on 2 or three passes to ice the 9ers game, but essentially watched the game wither away from under him. the game was essentially iced because of a punt, not a conversion. That makes me worried. he'd be great to have, but not worth picks in my mind.

The King
02-14-2013, 07:50 AM
He's not leaving Baltimore. I think he's the center piece that want their offense to be built around, they will find a way to pay him.

Skooby
02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
He's not leaving Baltimore. I think he's the center piece that want their offense to be built around, they will find a way to pay him.

I thought that as well but the Ravens are $5 Million over the cap as of last Friday, without paying Flacco a dime. ~$20 Million over the cap ($14.6 Ex tag) will not be allowed until they had the room. Baltimore would have to slash & burn everyone before they could sign anything with Joe, painfully quick.

mjt328
02-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Draft picks are risky. Those picks could net us a QB better than Flacco. They could net us someone like Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez.

Flacco, although not elite, is a proven commodity. He's certainly capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl and winning it - as we just saw.

I would make the trade.

better days
02-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Draft picks are risky. Those picks could net us a QB better than Flacco. They could net us someone like Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez.

Flacco, although not elite, is a proven commodity. He's certainly capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl and winning it - as we just saw.

I would make the trade.

In a heartbeat.

OpIv37
02-14-2013, 08:22 AM
It's not gonna happen. It's highly unlikely that Baltimore lets him go, and if they do, it won't be to us.

justasportsfan
02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
You have to ask first if whether he's a qb that Marrone and Hackett are looking for to run up tempo/no-huddle/k-gun system. Kelly was just as flat footed if not worse than Flacco but I'm almost sure that both Marrone would like a more mobile qb. Just guessing here.

fluteflakes
02-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Ozzy is a good cap guy on top of being a good drafter or talent. They'll cut some pieces and make it work, no way in hell they don't.

But it's a nice pipe dream.

Mski
02-14-2013, 08:52 AM
I really hope the Bills make him the highest paid QB in team history. he is the guy i wanted the year he came out, and well worth every penny.... imagine tj and stevie when a qb can throw a deep ball

- - - Updated - - -

or spiller when teams cant put 9 in the box

Skooby
I really hope the Bills make him the highest paid QB in team history. he is the guy i wanted the year he came out, and well worth every penny.... imagine tj and stevie when a qb can throw a deep ball

- - - Updated - - -

or spiller when teams cant put 9 in the box

How many more games would we win with the ability to throw the long ball ??

PTI
I don't see how it is even worth talking about, no way they let him go. He is nothing like Dilfer who never took another snap as the last Ravens Super Bowl QB.

Mski
02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
How many more games would we win with the ability to throw the long ball ??

that really depends on the defense, but getting someone young and proven at the peak of their career at that position would stablize this franchise for the next 7-10 years, and allow the FO to really focus on fixing out D

Skooby
02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
that really depends on the defense, but getting someone young and proven at the peak of their career at that position would stablize this franchise for the next 7-10 years, and allow the FO to really focus on fixing out D

Heaven forbid us winning a game or two more as well.

OpIv37
02-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Fixing our D.

That phrase just disgusts me.

We used a top 15 draft pick on D in 3 of the last 4 drafts and got the best defensive FA available last year but we still need to fix the D.

If that doesn't underscore the utter incompetence of this FO, nothing will.

Night Train
02-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Ravens will franchise Flacco while continuing negotiations. They are losing too much already to let him walk. Hope I'm wrong but I think it's a pipe dream.

trapezeus
02-14-2013, 09:38 AM
for those of you who think that there is no way the ravens would part with him, read the article.

the ravens brass say publically that they have hard decisions. and by exclusive tagging him, they can get him to play a year cheaper than what they offered him before this season. and they'll get compensation and drop some money into other positions.

He had a good statistical playoff run. but look at the denver and superbowl game. when they needed a gamer to ice a game or stay in it, he didn't do much. Denver game, he was silent in the second half until he connected on the long ball. in the superbowl, when the 9ers started pressing he didn't have answers.

but there is no questioning his long ball and ability to take punishment.

with this draft class of QB's and arguably this season showed why qb was so important, it might be worth getting a 28yr superbowl winner into your rotation.

i think this is a very hard question on if you should do it or not. If i was the dick jauron bills, i would do it without second thought because those teams blew first round picks routinely. this nix group only hits on first round picks and blows everything else. you essentially are handcuffing yourself to two crappy drafts in a row. you better hope to god that flacco doesn't get paid and take it easy.

In the end, if the bills did it, i'd be on board. if this transaction goes to Cleveland, i'll be ok with it.

Ed
02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Flacco had a great playoff run, but he still had a pretty average season. I'm just not convinced he's elite and he's going to have to be if he wants to be the highest paid player in the league. The reality is that if Rahim Moore doesn't completely blow it on that hail mary prayer at the end of the Bronco game, no one would really be singing his praises. Despite his recent success, I just don't see that elite qb that you fear when I watch him play.

RedEyE
02-14-2013, 09:58 AM
You have to ask first if whether he's a qb that Marrone and Hackett are looking for to run up tempo/no-huddle/k-gun system. Kelly was just as flat footed if not worse than Flacco but I'm almost sure that both Marrone would like a more mobile qb. Just guessing here.

This.

I don't think Flacco fits the offense we are expecting the Bills will be running. He's so immobile.

elltrain22
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
He's not ever going to leave Baltimore!! Why don't people be realistic??

RedEyE
02-14-2013, 10:24 AM
True that! Seems to me teams like the Redskins and the Cowboys are in cap hell every year and manage to still sign high end FAs.

Skooby
02-14-2013, 10:31 AM
We should leap as this chance if available. There's no one in the draft that could be as proven as Flacco, Superbowl MVP's are rarely available as well.

Joe Fo Sho
02-14-2013, 10:39 AM
We should leap as this chance if available. There's no one in the draft that could be as proven as Flacco, Superbowl MVP's are rarely available as well.

Has there ever been anyone in any draft that has been as proven as a Superbowl champion?

Skooby
02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Has there ever been anyone in any draft that has been as proven as a Superbowl champion?

Maybe A. Luck, LOL.

Joe Fo Sho
02-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Maybe A. Luck, LOL.

Andrew Luck is still not as proven as Flacco. I'd take either of them today, though...obviously.

Skooby
02-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Andrew Luck is still not as proven as Flacco. I'd take either of them today, though...obviously.

I as well, so there you go.

tatersalad
02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Flacco is worth 3 first round picks and highest paid player in the LEAGUE he is a winner and buffalo if given the chance should sign him, thats bs he doesn't fit in our system build a system for HIM hes that good with cj and fred hell we would be playoff bound

Joe Fo Sho
02-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Flacco is worth 3 first round picks and highest paid player in the LEAGUE he is a winner and buffalo if given the chance should sign him, thats bs he doesn't fit in our system build a system for HIM hes that good with cj and fred hell we would be playoff bound

3 1st round picks is a bit much, but I guess it all comes down to how well the Bills draft. Is he worth Spiller, Dareus and Wood? I don't think so, personally. Is he worth Maybin, McCargo, and Whitner? Absolutely.

Mski
02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
3 1st round picks is a bit much, but I guess it all comes down to how well the Bills draft. Is he worth Spiller, Dareus and Wood? I don't think so, personally. Is he worth Maybin, McCargo, and Whitner? Absolutely.
the theory behind giving up 3 1st round picks is that by adding flacco you automatically become a playoff team, and would be giving up late 1st rounders, as opposed to the top ten picks you'd have without him on the team

Joe Fo Sho
02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
the theory behind giving up 3 1st round picks is that by adding flacco you automatically become a playoff team, and would be giving up late 1st rounders, as opposed to the top ten picks you'd have without him on the team

What a nice theory that is.

mikemac2001
02-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Flacco is not immobile

and id take a shot at it ....dont always get a sure thing like this

plus his struggles were due to cam

Mouldsie
02-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Very tempting. I'd lean towards yes

Ingtar33
02-15-2013, 10:17 PM
i'd do it in a second.

I'm not even a huge fan of him, yet he's definitely worth 2 firsts. That's a bargain.

Especially how we draft. I think we can afford to lose our first picks for a few years without any noticeable negative impact. I mean our first round picks rarely contribute anyway.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-15-2013, 10:25 PM
If Flacco became available then yes Buffalo should be all over it. That being NO WAY the Ravens let him just leave. They would clean house and start to rebuild around Flacco before letting him leave or trading him.