PDA

View Full Version : QB Competition?

jamze132
02-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Seriously? Marrone announced that Fitz and T. Jackson would have an open competition. Looks like it's another year of Fitz since I can't see Jackson beating out Fitz after not playing at all last year.

I hope this isn't the final solution.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-16-2013, 04:58 AM
I hope it isn't either, or no reason to even get a little excited next year.

justasportsfan
02-16-2013, 07:19 AM
competition at all positions. Don't have a problem with that.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/02/15/marrone-open-competition-at-all-positions/

Night Train
02-16-2013, 07:23 AM
It's February 16th.

better days
02-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Everyone that wants the Bills to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rnd what do you expect if the Bills do that? I can pretty much guarantee it will come down to Fitz or TJax if that is the case.

Bill Cody
02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Everyone that wants the Bills to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rnd what do you expect if the Bills do that? I can pretty much guarantee it will come down to Fitz or TJax if that is the case.

Drafting a player earlier doesn't make him a better player. The only guy that could be ready to start that will be there at 8 (and quite possibily rd 2) is Wilson and I can't get by the tiny hand thing with him. If we draft a project like Manuel in rd 2 we'll just have to deal with another year of crappy QB play.

better days
02-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Drafting a player earlier doesn't make him a better player. The only guy that could be ready to start that will be there at 8 (and quite possibily rd 2) is Wilson and I can't get by the tiny hand thing with him. If we draft a project like Manuel in rd 2 we'll just have to deal with another year of crappy QB play.

If you draft a guy at #8, he will be no better than if you draft the SAME guy at #40. The point is you have OPTIONS at #8 that will not be there at #40. All the GOOD QB's will be off the board by #40.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-16-2013, 11:56 AM
If you draft a guy at #8, he will be no better than if you draft the SAME guy at #40. The point is you have OPTIONS at #8 that will not be there at #40. All the GOOD QB's will be off the board by #40.

i agree. just take wilson or manuel for christs sake. they have a nice resume

Ed
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm not really buying that Fitz has a legitimate shot at earning the starting job. They already know they can't get anywhere with him and they won't be able to sell tickets. Marrone is just doing the normal thing and telling everyone that they have to earn their spot

OpIv37
02-16-2013, 12:52 PM

And if you draft guys at 8 who should be drafted at 40 while the rest of the NFL drafts guys who are worthy of their picks, you will never win.

Opportunity cost.

better days
02-16-2013, 01:18 PM
And if you draft guys at 8 who should be drafted at 40 while the rest of the NFL drafts guys who are worthy of their picks, you will never win.

Opportunity cost.

NO GUTs, NO GLORY. Like I have been saying with all the QB needy teams this year, all the GOOD QB's will be gone before the 40th pick. Nix has said before they will have to draft a QB one round before the round they think he SHOULD go because teams overdraft QBs. I think Nix has learned his lesson & realizes he will have to do like every other team that needs a QB & overdraft one.

And you can draft a guy HIGH that should be drafted much later at ALL positions EX: Aaron Maybin. EX: Mike Williams

OpIv37
02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
You're not describing guts. You're describing stupidity.

Buffalo needing a QB does not mean there is one in this draft worthy of the #8 pick. And this team has too many needs to be reaching by a full round. Yeah, teams overdraft QB's and they end up with Blaine Gabbert and Jimmy Claussen. And JP Losman.

Nix is an idiot. He's an idiot for waiting this long to address QB. He's an idiot for letting the whole world know what he intends to do.

A major reason why this team has sucked for so long is not getting production out of our high draft picks. Reaching on a QB is a good way to continue that trend.

You want a gutsy move? Trade back into the first round and get a QB that way. Or do your ****ing homework and try to find this year's Russell Wilson who WILL be there in the 2nd. But pidgeon-holing us into a QB at 8 in a weak QB class is ****ing stupid.

Some of you are letting the desperation for a QB cloud your judgment.

Meathead
02-16-2013, 03:00 PM
at least tyler wilson has a hot girlfriend

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m17uicLMYp1qzhqx8o1_500.jpg

jamze132
02-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Plenty of 1st rd QBs that didn't pan out either. Look at this draft. No QB stands out at all.

tampabay25690
02-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Who says Fitz will still be on the roster anyway???

fluteflakes
02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
There are no good second round QB's? Seriously?

You can pick a guy who, shock and awe falls into the second because, he was projected AS a second round pick, and you can land somebody with a buttload of talent that just might not be ready to start right away.

And just for statistical purposes, the 2013 playoff QB's?

Andy Dalton (2nd round pick)
Matt Schaub (3rd round pick)
Andrew Luck (early 1st round pick)
Robert Griffin III (early 1st round pick)
Peyton Manning (early 1st round pick)
Christian Ponder (mid 1st round pick)
Aaron Rodgers (late 1st round pick)
Russell Wilson (3rd round pick)
Tom Brady (6th round pick)
Colin Kaepernick (2nd round pick)
Joe Flacco (late 1st round pick)
Matt Ryan (early 1st round pick)

Okay, so it's 5/7 split for first rounders, that's a decent indicator right?

Now, lets see playoff QB's who won a game or more.

Rodgers
Brady
Kaepernick
Flacco
Wilson
Schaub
Ryan

Whats the pattern here?

4 QB's drafted after the first round won a playoff game, a QB taken in the second round at pick #39, made it too and almost WON the superbowl. You can make it to the playoffs and win playoff games with QB's taken later than the first round. The thought that you can't and that all the good QB's will be gone by #40 isn't a very logical one. There are second round rated prospects for a REASON.

Skooby
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM

I hope we take him now.

Strongman
02-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Her right hand looks tiny or distorted (which I almost didn't notice that because I was staring at her rack.)

YardRat
02-16-2013, 06:15 PM
I hope we take him now.

Her right hand looks tiny or distorted (which I almost didn't notice that because I was staring at her rack.)

Boy. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get anything past you guys, huh?

better days
02-16-2013, 08:01 PM
You're not describing guts. You're describing stupidity.

Buffalo needing a QB does not mean there is one in this draft worthy of the #8 pick. And this team has too many needs to be reaching by a full round. Yeah, teams overdraft QB's and they end up with Blaine Gabbert and Jimmy Claussen. And JP Losman.

Nix is an idiot. He's an idiot for waiting this long to address QB. He's an idiot for letting the whole world know what he intends to do.

A major reason why this team has sucked for so long is not getting production out of our high draft picks. Reaching on a QB is a good way to continue that trend.

You want a gutsy move? Trade back into the first round and get a QB that way. Or do your ****ing homework and try to find this year's Russell Wilson who WILL be there in the 2nd. But pidgeon-holing us into a QB at 8 in a weak QB class is ****ing stupid.

Some of you are letting the desperation for a QB cloud your judgment.

I have already said if no QBs are drafted before #8 I would be fine with a trade back unless the Bills have targeted one specific guy. I agree Nix should have drafted a QB before, but none fell where he thought they would because they were overdrafted by other teams.

better days
02-16-2013, 08:47 PM
There are no good second round QB's? Seriously?

You can pick a guy who, shock and awe falls into the second because, he was projected AS a second round pick, and you can land somebody with a buttload of talent that just might not be ready to start right away.

And just for statistical purposes, the 2013 playoff QB's?

Andy Dalton (2nd round pick) OVERDRAFTED PROJECTED 3rd or 4th
Matt Schaub (3rd round pick) Was projected to be no better than a backup
Andrew Luck (early 1st round pick)
Robert Griffin III (early 1st round pick) Redskins gave up a BOATLOAD to move up to draft him.
Peyton Manning (early 1st round pick)
Christian Ponder (mid 1st round pick) OVERDRAFTED
Aaron Rodgers (late 1st round pick) Projected to be the FIRST PICK in the draft. Instead fell to # 24 & the Packers. Alex Smith was OVERDRAFTED #1.
Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) OVERDRAFTED
Tom Brady (6th round pick) MAKES ME SICK
Colin Kaepernick (2nd round pick) OVERDRAFTED
Joe Flacco (late 1st round pick) OVERDRAFTED Could not beat out Tyler Palco at Pitt & transfered to Del.
Matt Ryan (early 1st round pick) Fins passed on him to draft Jake Long who they will probably not resign......................How did that work out for Miami, passing on a QB to draft a LT?

Okay, so it's 5/7 split for first rounders, that's a decent indicator right?

Now, lets see playoff QB's who won a game or more.

Rodgers
Brady
Kaepernick
Flacco
Wilson
Schaub
Ryan

Whats the pattern here?

4 QB's drafted after the first round won a playoff game, a QB taken in the second round at pick #39, made it too and almost WON the superbowl. You can make it to the playoffs and win playoff games with QB's taken later than the first round. The thought that you can't and that all the good QB's will be gone by #40 isn't a very logical one. There are second round rated prospects for a REASON.

Whats the pattern here?

Almost half of the QBs on your list were OVERDRAFTED from where they were projected to go before the draft. Nobody is projected to go high in this draft but with all the QB needy teams, you can bet a number of QB's will be OVERDRAFTED.

If the Bills want to draft a GOOD QB this year, they will have to OVERDRAFT one.

And the Redskins gave up a boatload to draft RGIII which may work out for them or may not in the long run.

The Fins PASSED on Matt Ryan to draft Jake Long BPA....................................Kind of what you guys want the Bills to do this year.

ServoBillieves
02-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah, drafting players in later rounds never pan out. Only 1st rounders can ever work out in the NFL.

better days
02-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Yeah, drafting players in later rounds never pan out. Only 1st rounders can ever work out in the NFL.

Yeah, & no other positon has players drafted in the 1st rnd that turn out to be busts.

The draft is a CRAPSHOOT. All positions, not just QB.

EVERYONE knows the Bills NEED a QB, I don't understand why you guys don't want them to draft one that may be good.

And yes sometimes you can get a GOOD QB later in the draft.

But not THIS year. The draft class for QBs is too weak & there are too many QB needy teams for any prospect with any kind of potential to not be overdrafted this year.

As I said before, the Fins passed on Matt Ryan for Jake Long!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what you want the Bills to do this year.

Bert102176
02-16-2013, 11:06 PM
We won't address the QB in the draft till rd 3 or 4 maybe not till the 5th this class just isn't that good, I think either WR or LB in rd 1 WR, LB, He rd 2

Bert102176
02-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Though I wouldn't mind Wilson, or Nassib in rd 2 or Manuel in rd 4, or Rogers rd 6, but they are the only ones I would go for.

better days
02-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Though I wouldn't mind Wilson, or Nassib in rd 2 or Manuel in rd 4, or Rogers rd 6, but they are the only ones I would go for.

Why bother to draft a QB at all? I'm sure there will be players at other positions that are a better pick to draft than the QB would be.

YardRat
02-17-2013, 08:47 AM
The time to reach is when the talent pool is heavy, not thin.

Albany,n.y.
02-17-2013, 09:36 AM
The biggest problem I see is that there may be NO QBs in this draft that are ever going to make it in the NFL. It happens. Look at some bad draft years for QBs. In 2010 Sam Bradford was taken #1 and there were no other viable QBs from pick 2 through the rest of the draft. Tebow, Clausen & McCoy were picked in that draft & I'd take Fitz & T. Jax over any of those 3. 2007 produced no QBs I'd want. A lot of busts & the best one is Kolb. In 2006 the only viable QBs were Cutler & T. Jackson (although a lot of people would laugh at my putting T. Jax in the viable category). Young & Leinart were the 1st 2 QBs taken that year. The worst QB year in recent memory is 1996. No viable QB came out of that draft & it was so bad that no QB was taken in the 1st round.
Just because the past 2 drafts have been QB rich, doesn't make this year's QB group any better than it appears to be, which at this point looks pretty weak. Take a look at why. This year there are only 2 underclassmen QBs who are in the draft, Tyler Bray & Kyle Padron. The fact that so many underclass QBs stayed in school is one reason this class is naturally watered down.
You know what smart teams do? They don't reach for players who will not start in the NFL just because they have a hole at that position. They wait a year or 2 for the right player to be drafted at the right time. The "I want a QB now to replace Fitzpatrick" fans may not like it, but then they are the same fans who loved it when the Bills traded up for JP Losman and haven't learned that just because the guy played the position you want to draft doesn't mean he's any good & worth drafting. The worst thing the Bills management can do is take the fan mentality of just taking any guy left who was rated highly on some draft related website because the fans want the Bills to take a stab at a guy who won't make it.

better days
02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
The time to reach is when the talent pool is heavy, not thin.

Explain that logic to me. When the talent pool is heavy, you can get another guy with similar talent if the first guy you like is gone when you pick. When the talent pool is thin, you can get that one guy with talent or if he is gone you will NOT get a guy with similar talent.

better days
02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
The biggest problem I see is that there may be NO QBs in this draft that are ever going to make it in the NFL. It happens. Look at some bad draft years for QBs. In 2010 Sam Bradford was taken #1 and there were no other viable QBs from pick 2 through the rest of the draft. Tebow, Clausen & McCoy were picked in that draft & I'd take Fitz & T. Jax over any of those 3. 2007 produced no QBs I'd want. A lot of busts & the best one is Kolb. In 2006 the only viable QBs were Cutler & T. Jackson (although a lot of people would laugh at my putting T. Jax in the viable category). Young & Leinart were the 1st 2 QBs taken that year. The worst QB year in recent memory is 1996. No viable QB came out of that draft & it was so bad that no QB was taken in the 1st round.
Just because the past 2 drafts have been QB rich, doesn't make this year's QB group any better than it appears to be, which at this point looks pretty weak. Take a look at why. This year there are only 2 underclassmen QBs who are in the draft, Tyler Bray & Kyle Padron. The fact that so many underclass QBs stayed in school is one reason this class is naturally watered down.
You know what smart teams do? They don't reach for players who will not start in the NFL just because they have a hole at that position. They wait a year or 2 for the right player to be drafted at the right time. The "I want a QB now to replace Fitzpatrick" fans may not like it, but then they are the same fans who loved it when the Bills traded up for JP Losman and haven't learned that just because the guy played the position you want to draft doesn't mean he's any good & worth drafting. The worst thing the Bills management can do is take the fan mentality of just taking any guy left who was rated highly on some draft related website because the fans want the Bills to take a stab at a guy who won't make it.

Well, there may be no QB in this draft worth taking, but with the new CBA, teams can afford to gamble more on a pick than in the past. There is the possibility that at least one or two of these guys become decent starters & maybe more. If the Bills had a decent QB they could live with a few years there would be no need to gamble but if the Bills fail to draft a QB that is seen as having potential to beat out Fitz, they will have a hard time selling tickets.

YardRat
02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Explain that logic to me. When the talent pool is heavy, you can get another guy with similar talent if the first guy you like is gone when you pick. When the talent pool is thin, you can get that one guy with talent or if he is gone you will NOT get a guy with similar talent.

When the talent pool is heavy, the odds are higher that you will 'hit', and it's worth the risk to go after 'your' guy. When the pool is thin, the odds are higher that you will 'miss', and thus not worth the risk.

That's the logic.

coastal
02-17-2013, 05:25 PM
How bout we cut the beard and add Tebow to the competition.

fluteflakes
02-17-2013, 07:10 PM
At least the Beard can pass.

coastal
02-17-2013, 08:03 PM
At least the Beard can pass.
I don't want to pass. I want to pound the rock.

its a quarterback driven league?

Someone's going to prove that wrong.

fluteflakes
02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
So what, we're going to run the triple option full time in north eastern NY?

No thanks, even a guy like Tebow just can't take that level of abuse on the NFL level. The last game he played, against the Pats, they beat the ever loving hell out of him and simply took away the deep ball, rendering his abilities useless. He was SO beat up, that even if the Bronco's won that game, he couldn't have played the next week.

A guy like that, in todays NFL, just can't last. A Bobby Douglas clone, in an era where you need an accurate QB to succeed, just isn't going to work, period.

coastal
02-17-2013, 08:48 PM
So what, we're going to run the triple option full time in north eastern NY?

No thanks, even a guy like Tebow just can't take that level of abuse on the NFL level. The last game he played, against the Pats, they beat the ever loving hell out of him and simply took away the deep ball, rendering his abilities useless. He was SO beat up, that even if the Bronco's won that game, he couldn't have played the next week.

A guy like that, in todays NFL, just can't last. A Bobby Douglas clone, in an era where you need an accurate QB to succeed, just isn't going to work, period.
Draft Warmack and run the **** out of FJ, CJ and another back, run Tebow... Play two tightends... Play bigger, meaner and more physical and ill put my money on who is beat up at the end of the year.

BertSquirtgum
02-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Seriously? Marrone announced that Fitz and T. Jackson would have an open competition. Looks like it's another year of Fitz since I can't see Jackson beating out Fitz after not playing at all last year.

I hope this isn't the final solution.

T-jax will have no problem beating out Fitzputrid and the rookie will beat out both of them.

OpIv37
02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Whats the pattern here?

Almost half of the QBs on your list were OVERDRAFTED from where they were projected to go before the draft. Nobody is projected to go high in this draft but with all the QB needy teams, you can bet a number of QB's will be OVERDRAFTED.

If the Bills want to draft a GOOD QB this year, they will have to OVERDRAFT one.

And the Redskins gave up a boatload to draft RGIII which may work out for them or may not in the long run.

The Fins PASSED on Matt Ryan to draft Jake Long BPA....................................Kind of what you guys want the Bills to do this year.

ah yes.... the Billszone mantra of using the exception to prove the rule. Go look at the drafts where we took Losman and Edwards. There were other teams that needed QB's- think any of them wished they had passed on the guys they took to overdraft Losman or Edwards?

Overdrafting CAN result in a good QB. It doesn't NECESSARILY result in a good QB. This is a bad QB class and no one is worth the reach.

better days
02-18-2013, 05:05 AM
When the talent pool is heavy, the odds are higher that you will 'hit', and it's worth the risk to go after 'your' guy. When the pool is thin, the odds are higher that you will 'miss', and thus not worth the risk.

That's the logic.

That is FAULTY logic. There is NO reason to reach when there are a number of guys available with similar talent. You miss on the first guy you can get the next one. When the talent is thin, the next guy does not have the talent you reach & get the guy that does.

better days
02-18-2013, 05:11 AM
ah yes.... the Billszone mantra of using the exception to prove the rule. Go look at the drafts where we took Losman and Edwards. There were other teams that needed QB's- think any of them wished they had passed on the guys they took to overdraft Losman or Edwards?

Overdrafting CAN result in a good QB. It doesn't NECESSARILY result in a good QB. This is a bad QB class and no one is worth the reach.

Well, for starters you don't know that no QB is worth the reach.

And as I said before, the draft is a CRAPSHOOT.......................for ALL positions.

Typical Opiv mantra, use past Bills failures to justify them not doing anything in the future.

OpIv37
02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
I never said not to do anything- I simply said that what you want to is stupid.

And please stop with this "draft is a crapshoot" nonsense. Yeah, there is no exact formula behind it but some teams are consistently good at it while others are consistently bad. It's not completely random like lotto numbers. Some teams do things that increase their chances of success while others haven't figured it out.

Teams that just reach a full round in a desperate attempt to fill a need have about as much chance of winning the lotto as they do of winning football games.

OpIv37
02-18-2013, 08:01 AM
It really just comes down to this: the fact that the Bills desperately need a QB does not automatically make one available.

I don't like the idea of waitin another year either, but its far better than doin something stupid and setting the franchise back 3 years like we did with Collins, Rob Johnson, Bledsoe, Losman and Fitz's extension.

We take what we can get in the 2nd or 3rd round and look again next year.

It's a ****ty situation, but its the reality.

better days
02-18-2013, 09:03 AM

And please stop with this "draft is a crapshoot" nonsense. Yeah, there is no exact formula behind it but some teams are consistently good at it while others are consistently bad. It's not completely random like lotto numbers. Some teams do things that increase their chances of success while others haven't figured it out.

Teams that just reach a full round in a desperate attempt to fill a need have about as much chance of winning the lotto as they do of winning football games.

The draft is a CRAPSHOOT. That is a FACT. Yes some teams are better at it than others just as some people are better gamblers than others. You would probably fold while holding three of a kind in straight poker because you lost a hand with that once before.

The FACT is teams do OVERDRAFT QBS which I already pointed out in another post how many have been overdrafted in recent years. I just heard on the radio the other day one of the "experts" say he expects 4 QBs to be drafted in the FIRST RND.
That sounds like at least 4 QBS will be OVERDRAFTED in this draft alone. Which will leave slim pickings in rnds 2 & later.

OpIv37
02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
And here's the point you are missing: teams reaching for those QB's in the first round do not make those QB's worthy of a first round pick. They won't be any better because they got picked earlier.

Meanwhile, this team has glaring holes at LB, CB, and WR. And you want to reach for a QB rather than use the opportunity on a much less risky pick at one of those positions? Please.

And the draft is NOT a crapshoot just like poker isn't a pure game of chance. Sure, luck is part of it, but there is a skill involved as well. Sometimes going all in on 3 of a kind is not the right play.

better days
02-18-2013, 09:27 AM
And here's the point you are missing: teams reaching for those QB's in the first round do not make those QB's worthy of a first round pick. They won't be any better because they got picked earlier.

Meanwhile, this team has glaring holes at LB, CB, and WR. And you want to reach for a QB rather than use the opportunity on a much less risky pick at one of those positions? Please.

And the draft is NOT a crapshoot just like poker isn't a pure game of chance. Sure, luck is part of it, but there is a skill involved as well. Sometimes going all in on 3 of a kind is not the right play.

OK, the draft is not a crapshoot, it is more like poker. The fact is nobody will know if the QBs drafted will be worth it or not untill they play. As I said before, the Bills could draft a probowl LB, CB or WR at #8 & it would not help the Bills get into the playoffs anyway without a GOOD QB which the Bills are lacking. IMO it is worth the risk to draft a QB this year because the Bills are desperate for one. If he does not pan out draft one next year & keep doing that until they hit on one.

OpIv37
02-18-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't think it's worth the risk because I don't think any of these QB's are the guy we need.

And you can make that argument in the other direction as well. The Bills narrowly missed on some records for defensive futility. I don't care who the QB is- the team isn't going to win giving up 30+ points and 200 yards on the ground every game. And if we do find a QB, do you really want a rookie in the NFL trying to learn throwing to our sorry crop of WR's? Stevie's good but it goes downhill quickly after him.

Mouldsie
02-18-2013, 10:20 AM

His hands are too small for those....

better days
02-18-2013, 11:32 AM
I don't think it's worth the risk because I don't think any of these QB's are the guy we need.

And you can make that argument in the other direction as well. The Bills narrowly missed on some records for defensive futility. I don't care who the QB is- the team isn't going to win giving up 30+ points and 200 yards on the ground every game. And if we do find a QB, do you really want a rookie in the NFL trying to learn throwing to our sorry crop of WR's? Stevie's good but it goes downhill quickly after him.

Well for one thing this is supposed to be a good year for WRs & LBs so we can get players at those positions later in the draft to help. A Rookie QB may not win this year but he would get valuable experience so he could win next year. If you wait until next year to draft a QB it will be three years before you can expect to see results on the field. I also think Pettine & his staff will have the defense playing much better than last year........................if the QB & offense can give them some help.

YardRat
02-18-2013, 02:17 PM

That's commonly known as 'coaching'.

TigerJ
02-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Marrone never suggested an "open competition" would be limited to Fitzpatrick and Jackson at the QB position, but it is starting to look like the Bills will pay him the bonus that's due in a few days. While I've given up on Fitz, and would like to see him gone, he is a known quantity in the Bills QB equation, and like it or not, in this draft there is no QB that is a "known quantity." While I think Nix would love to find his "Franchise QB" in this draft, there is enough doubt about whether the Bills can actually get what they need in this draft that they'd rather keep the known quantity than take a guess and hope for the best.

better days
02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Marrone never suggested an "open competition" would be limited to Fitzpatrick and Jackson at the QB position, but it is starting to look like the Bills will pay him the bonus that's due in a few days. While I've given up on Fitz, and would like to see him gone, he is a known quantity in the Bills QB equation, and like it or not, in this draft there is no QB that is a "known quantity." While I think Nix would love to find his "Franchise QB" in this draft, there is enough doubt about whether the Bills can actually get what they need in this draft that they'd rather keep the known quantity than take a guess and hope for the best.

Especially when the cap hit is not much different if Fitz stays or goes. It is probably the smart move to keep him for now. I just hope TJax or the Rookie beat him out for the starting job.

Albany,n.y.
02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Well, for starters you don't know that no QB is worth the reach.

And as I said before, the draft is a CRAPSHOOT.......................for ALL positions.

Typical Opiv mantra, use past Bills failures to justify them not doing anything in the future.

If the draft was as big a crapshoot as you think, then the Bills and Ravens would get the same out of the draft. Obviously, the Ravens have outdrafted the Bills just about every year. even though the Bills draft higher most of the time. The draft is not a crapshoot when you have competent to excellent management running your draft. It's only a crapshoot to people who don't understand how to use it properly. The draft is only a crapshoot for the Bills because of inferior scouting and management.
So, we posters and possibly the Bills don't know what QB is worth reaching for, but I've got to believe the top drafting teams pretty much know who isn't worth taking.

Night Train
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM

Agreed.

No one comes close to hitting near 100 % during FA or draft weekend. It's the teams that do their homework more thoroughly, has stable coaching and finds the talent that fits the team that cosistently succeeds.

Too often this organization has been trying to drive the square peg into the round hole with schemes and talent. Marrone gets to prove otherwise and I'm hoping he finds the right players for his offense and lets Pettine pick players for his D. It will be a refreshing change.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
If the draft was as big a crapshoot as you think, then the Bills and Ravens would get the same out of the draft. Obviously, the Ravens have outdrafted the Bills just about every year. even though the Bills draft higher most of the time. The draft is not a crapshoot when you have competent to excellent management running your draft. It's only a crapshoot to people who don't understand how to use it properly. The draft is only a crapshoot for the Bills because of inferior scouting and management.
So, we posters and possibly the Bills don't know what QB is worth reaching for, but I've got to believe the top drafting teams pretty much know who isn't worth taking.

Well, I agree as fans, we do not know which QBs are worth reaching for. I trust that the Bills do. I have been happy with Nix's drafts with the exception he has yet to get a QB for the Bills.

I believe that is because the Bills had so many needs, Nix did not want to reach for one. I think he thought a QB would fall to him later that he could take, but with teams like Seattle drafting Wilson & Washington drafting Cousins, Nix has learned he will have to take a QB one round higher than he would like & overdraft him.

OpIv37
02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
You've been happy with Nix's drafts? Really?

IlluminatusUIUC
02-19-2013, 12:25 PM

Why do people keep saying LB, CB, or Wideout are the "less risky" picks? It's almost like people just saying it over and over will make it true. Guess what, linebackers, dbs, and wideouts bust too. Remember 100% guaranteed unbustable Aaron Curry? He's in a breadline somewhere. We've invested boatloads, boatloads, of draft picks on this defense to no avail. One of our "safe" #11 picks at DB is up for free agency this year and nobody seems too concerned about signing him. Indeed, we have a hole at CB because we took the "safe" Aaron Williams instead of the risky Dalton or Kaepernick.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
You've been happy with Nix's drafts? Really?

Really.
Spiller
Dareus
Glenn
Gilmore
Hairston in the 4th
Sheppard in the 3rd
Bradham in the 4th
Brooks in the 4th
Sanders in the 5th

OpIv37
02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Because QB is the hardest position to judge and because this is a weak QB class.

I said "less risky" and not "risk-free" for a reason.

No pick is risk-free, but I feel strongly that we are far more likely to get value from the #8 pick if we go in a different direction than QB.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Because QB is the hardest position to judge and because this is a weak QB class.

I said "less risky" and not "risk-free" for a reason.

No pick is risk-free, but I feel strongly that we are far more likely to get value from the #8 pick if we go in a different direction than QB.

Well, I guess you could say the Fins got value when they took Jake Long over Matt Ryan, but it was the WRONG pick.

OpIv37
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Really.
Spiller
Dareus
Glenn
Gilmore
Hairston in the 4th
Sheppard in the 3rd
Bradham in the 4th
Brooks in the 4th
Sanders in the 5th

Spiller took 2 years before he did anything and the rest of that draft was an epic fail.

Dareus went to sleep in his sophomore season so the jury is still out on that one. Bradham, Brooks and Sanders look decent but haven't done anything yet. This view of Nix's drafting is definitely homeristic. Show that to a Ravens or Colts or 49ers fan as an example of 3 years of good drafting and they will laugh. Well, not right away- first they will have to Google who those people are.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Spiller took 2 years before he did anything and the rest of that draft was an epic fail.

Dareus went to sleep in his sophomore season so the jury is still out on that one. Bradham, Brooks and Sanders look decent but haven't done anything yet. This view of Nix's drafting is definitely homeristic. Show that to a Ravens or Colts or 49ers fan as an example of 3 years of good drafting and they will laugh. Well, not right away- first they will have to Google who those people are.

I just heard on Sirius this AM, Adam Shine said he could not remember who the 49ers drafted with their first pick in the last draft because so far he has done NOTHING.

fluteflakes
02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/Source--Bills-QB-Jackson-s-deal-worth--1-75m/15566774

I feel much, much better about the T-Jax signing now.

DraftBoy
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
I just heard on Sirius this AM, Adam Shine said he could not remember who the 49ers drafted with their first pick in the last draft because so far he has done NOTHING.

AJ Jenkins, WR out of Illinois. Played 37 snaps, one target, and one drop.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/Source--Bills-QB-Jackson-s-deal-worth--1-75m/15566774

I feel much, much better about the T-Jax signing now.

Now if they can just get Fitz to restructure his contract.

fluteflakes
02-19-2013, 12:46 PM
On a roster with Ted Ginn and he couldn't find more than one measly target. Now that is a bust.

And I'm sure Fitz either has until March to restructure his deal or get cut, no way we waste the money we would by retaining him past that date.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
AJ Jenkins, WR out of Illinois. Played 37 snaps, one target, and one drop.

Yeah, he finally said that, but the point he made was he did NOTHING for the 49ers this year.

DraftBoy
02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah, he finally said that, but the point he made was he did NOTHING for the 49ers this year.

Its a poor point though. Not to mention that was a pick made that was largely considered a reach. I had Jenkins as a Round 3 WR.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-19-2013, 12:51 PM

Where are you going with this? Yeah, the Niners made a bad pick, but when you absolutely crushed the 2010 and 2011 drafts like they did, it makes up for it.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Its a poor point though. Not to mention that was a pick made that was largely considered a reach. I had Jenkins as a Round 3 WR.

It was a GOOD point I made about the drafting by Nix in Buffalo. FIRST RND pick by the 49ers did NOTHING so far. Even in his rookie year, Spiller had a few splash plays. Both Dareus & Gilmore had good Rookie years.

fluteflakes
02-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Also, they drafted fairly well after missing on that pick as well. LaMichael James more than makes up for the offensive production missed by Jenkins, and they built on their depth.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Where are you going with this? Yeah, the Niners made a bad pick, but when you absolutely crushed the 2010 and 2011 drafts like they did, it makes up for it.

I was saying I am happy with Nix & his drafting...............aside from his not getting a QB yet. And the Bills have a few players on the roster that have done nothing yet as well, but may in the future.

Albany,n.y.
12-08-2013, 10:37 PM

After watching today's game I'm starting to fear I might have been right about no viable QB coming out of the 2013 draft.
The biggest problem with this team is they always seem to choose the wrong year to fill a hole & they've continuously been burned with underachievers when they decide they have to draft for a position, player talent at the position that year be damned.