PDA

View Full Version : Wait... what??? ESPN saying Fitz is returning?

X-Era
02-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Is this just a case of the media spins?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8951930/tarvaris-jackson-re-signed-buffalo-bills

"In announcing Jackson's signing on Friday, new coach Doug Marrone ended a month of speculation regarding Fitzpatrick's status. Marrone says he's informed Fitzpatrick and Jackson that he intends to have both compete for the starting job next season.
This was Marrone's most definitive statement regarding Fitzpatrick and his plans regarding the quarterback spot since the coach took over last month."

But this is what he actually said:

“I spoke with Ryan (Fitzpatrick) and Tarvaris (Jackson) and told them we will have an open competition at the quarterback position – similar to what we will do at all positions on our team heading into our offseason work,” said Marrone. “I believe that our players will embrace this challenge. We are looking forward to working with our players as we prepare for the 2013 season.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/QB-Tarvaris-Jackson-re-signs-with-Bills/9383cbef-ea1a-47e5-8fd8-f84bf4d925fc

Was Marrone simply calling all current QB's and telling them there will be an open competition?
Or was he calling Fitz to tell him he will be part of the open competition?

better days
02-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Fitz is due a $1 Million bonus March 1 unless he is cut before then. If he is paid that money, I would bet he is on the roster when the Season starts.

X-Era
02-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Fitz is due a $1 Million bonus March 1 unless he is cut before then. If he is paid that money, I would bet he is on the roster when the Season starts.I agree. Him being cut would come before that.

YardRat
02-17-2013, 07:25 AM
I thought the bonus was 3mil.

scartown
02-17-2013, 07:45 AM
I agree. Him being cut would come before that.

I wouldn't assume he'll be cut before that bonus. Lee Evans received a 1.5 million dollar bonus then got traded in the summer.

Yasgur's Farm
02-17-2013, 07:49 AM
I thought the bonus was 3mil.It is $3M bonus + $200K workout bonus... Then $4.25M salary.

YardRat
02-17-2013, 07:50 AM
I stated this in another thread, but despite Marrone's comment I agree with those who won't be surprised if Fitz is still cut.

Yasgur's Farm
02-17-2013, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't assume he'll be cut before that bonus. Lee Evans received a 1.5 million dollar bonus then got traded in the summer.Lee Evans was traded to the Ravens... It was a 4th rounder.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2013, 09:05 AM
I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Fitz was not on the 2013 roster.

Why wouldn't he be? There is absolutely NOTHING out there.

As sad as this sounds I actually like the Jackson signing as well.

Ad this to the QB THEY BETTER take in the first couple rounds and it is an all out competition.

Marrone isn't tied to Fitz so you can bet that if one of the other two beats him out he will play.

From what I have researched we don't save much cap room in cutting him. (money yes but cap room no)

So with all that said Fitz is probably going to be on the team. Why are some of you acting so shocked about it?

DraftBoy
02-17-2013, 09:07 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if they cut him or keep him. Both moves make sense.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if they cut him or keep him. Both moves make sense.

I just can't see them cutting him. What makes sense about it? Unless I am wrong about Cap savings they could open up.

Skooby
02-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I hope they cut him, I've seen enough.

Yasgur's Farm
02-17-2013, 09:13 AM
From what I have researched we don't save much cap room in cutting him. (money yes but cap room no)

So with all that said Fitz is probably going to be on the team.While that's true for 2013... It's not true for 2014 and beyond. Fitz will have at least $8M cap hit in 2014 if released in 2014... $6M in 2015... $4M in 2015...

It will be more if the Bills choose to amortize his 2013 bonus in order to make a more friendly 2013 cap.

Best to release him now IMO. An alternative would be for him to accept a renegotiaiton bringing his cap # down to ~$4M... But that only increases the cap hits in 2014 and beyond if they part ways after 2013.

DraftBoy
02-17-2013, 09:16 AM
I just can't see them cutting him. What makes sense about it? Unless I am wrong about Cap savings they could open up.

Not about just dollars and cents. You have a locker room that likes Fitz, you leave him there but don't play him you may have some players that don't like that. Players stay pretty loyal to their guy and our #1 WR we know is a huge fan of Fitz. It could become a locker room issue if the new guy comes in and struggles some.

YardRat
02-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Culture change starts with cutting Fitz. Period.

DraftBoy
02-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Culture change starts with cutting Fitz. Period.

Why?

He's not the sign of what we just dealt with? Hell he's the best QB we've had since Kelly (which isn't saying much). He's a very good backup for the Bills and keeping him does not fail to signal a culture change.

YardRat
02-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Why?

He's not the sign of what we just dealt with? Hell he's the best QB we've had since Kelly (which isn't saying much). He's a very good backup for the Bills and keeping him does not fail to signal a culture change.

The team needs leaders that want to win, and get pissed when they don't, as opposed to guys who weekly admit to screwing up, have to watch game tape to figure out what went wrong, and look forward to turning things around next week with a resigned *sigh*. We need fighters, and that's not Fitz.

Buddo
02-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Jackson is about the best option that was currently available to the Bills, that didn't involve using up picks and cap $ on a guy who already has a decent deal - e.g. Smith or Flynn.

That situation can change, especially when bonuses become due. Fitz will be in that mix, as well, as I'm sure the Bills will not want to retain him, at his current deal. They might be prepared to cut him outright, as they would save a bunch of cash that way, but I would think that they would be much more prepared to keep him, if he re-structures, as they then get the best of both worlds in a cap sense.

Fitz is not to be sneezed at, in terms of being a decent back up, but it's how you sort out his current deal, to reflect that that is what he's highly likely to be, that is the crux of the matter. If he re-structures, there will probably be a hefty lean towards incentives, in whatever he gets from here on in, with just $2-3 million per guaranteed as a base salary.

better days
02-17-2013, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't assume he'll be cut before that bonus. Lee Evans received a 1.5 million dollar bonus then got traded in the summer.

Well, if the Bills could trade Fitz for a bag of footballs that would be one thing, but it makes no sense to pay him any money & then cut him & get nothing in return.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-17-2013, 11:30 AM
The team needs leaders that want to win, and get pissed when they don't, as opposed to guys who weekly admit to screwing up, have to watch game tape to figure out what went wrong, and look forward to turning things around next week with a resigned *sigh*. We need fighters, and that's not Fitz.

replace him with who exactly? i still want a qb rd 1, but lets not just give up on the season... good lord man

fluteflakes
02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
ESPN also said that the Cardinals were hiring Andy Reid and the Browns would get Chip Kelly and the Rams would hire Rob Ryan.

I'll believe it when it's become a hard fact, not when ESPN speculates.

Bert102176
02-17-2013, 01:25 PM
This is the Bills were talking about, new coaching staff but same old front Office they are f-ups and will keep Fitz around

YardRat
02-17-2013, 01:34 PM
replace him with who exactly? i still want a qb rd 1, but lets not just give up on the season... good lord man

Keeping Fitz might as well be = to giving up on the season.

We've got Tjax in the fold, and a PS possibility in Corp. Draft two, or draft one and sign another FA, or draft two sign another and cut Corps. Let four new guys battle it out for the job, pretty sure they could do no worse than Fitzy's back-to-back 6 and 10's.

Bmax
02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Why?

The move to get rid of him makes a lot of sense. Marrone really could care less what some of the players think...He has to build this team the best way he can.. The move will be about money. It 's a no brainer that he is not the future for the bills. I see Fitz reworking his deal this year then being let go next after they draft a qb in rd 1 or more likely rd 2. Keeping him as a back up after this year is not a good option. You just cant have him lurking in the wings with the future qb playing. The players and team will have to move forward with the new leader. Don't be surprised if the rookie or jackson wins the job in camp...

I like Nassib or Wilson in rd 2 .. Who do you like in rd 2 ?

DraftBoy
02-17-2013, 06:09 PM
The move to get rid of him makes a lot of sense. Marrone really could care less what some of the players think...He has to build this team the best way he can.. The move will be about money. It 's a no brainer that he is not the future for the bills. I see Fitz reworking his deal this year then being let go next after they draft a qb in rd 1 or more likely rd 2. Keeping him as a back up after this year is not a good option. You just cant have him lurking in the wings with the future qb playing. The players and team will have to move forward with the new leader. Don't be surprised if the rookie or jackson wins the job in camp...

I like Nassib or Wilson in rd 2 .. Who do you like in rd 2 ?

In Round 2? Nassib, or Glennon. I dont think Wilson makes it out of the Top 15.

fluteflakes
02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Wilson won't make it out of the top 10, let alone the top 15, if WE don't take him, you can be sure the Jets will.

And don't sleep on someone reaching on Glennon, seen some reports that Arians loves him.

jamze132
02-18-2013, 12:55 AM
I stated this in another thread, but despite Marrone's comment I agree with those who won't be surprised if Fitz is still cut.

I started this in another thread.

Night Train
02-18-2013, 06:11 AM
The wording by Marrone was very general and ESPN did a bait and switch, running with their version.

Fitz is still being evaluated.

Novacane
02-18-2013, 07:05 AM

What the hell have you seen from Fitz the suggests cutting him is giving up on the season? good lord man!

TigerJ
02-18-2013, 08:25 AM
"Open competition" is a competition without any imposed limits on the entrants. In this case, the only limit is that you have to be on the roster. Aaron Corp, who was just signed, is technically eligible to compete. Thigpen is not on the roster at this point, and I don't expect him to be re-signed. There will be a fourth QB on the roster (not counting Brad Smith) that will also be part of that competition. The ESPN article technically did not lie, but it's missleading because it omitted the word "open" and people could come away from it thinking the competition is between Jackson and Fitzpatrick only.

My "druthers" is that Fitzpatrick gets cut, but I can see Marone playing it cautious. It is conceivable that the QB Buffalo drafts turns out to be a total dud and Buffalo can't sign a decent free agent at a price they think they can live with, and they really need Fitzpatrick to be part of that competition. I just hope that's not the case.

mjt328
02-18-2013, 09:33 AM
I could care less if Fitz is on the team or not. As long as our future plans don't involve him as the long-term starter, he can battle TJax for the backup job.

As far as the people who are "convinced" that cutting him would be giving up on the season: After 3 1/2 years of watching Fitz play, I'm convinced we will NEVER make the playoffs with him as the starter. And watching TJax play on Minnesota and Seattle, I'm convinced he won't be much better than Fitz. And unless we somehow trade for the entire San Francisco defense, Alex Smith won't get us anywhere either.

Our best bet is to draft a quarterback in Round 1 or 2 and start him all season.
If he looks like a potential winner (like Andy Dalton or Russell Wilson) then we are good. If he looks like Blaine Gabbert, we draft a quarterback high again next year - AND EVERY YEAR - until we get it right.

Mr. Pink
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
This team ain't winning anything with or without Fitz this coming year.

Fitz is no longer part of the future direction of the franchise, or at least he shouldn't be.

There is absolutely ZERO reason for him to be on the roster in 11 days.

- - - Updated - - -

Wilson won't make it out of the top 10, let alone the top 15, if WE don't take him, you can be sure the Jets will.

And don't sleep on someone reaching on Glennon, seen some reports that Arians loves him.

The Jets won't take a QB in Round 1. They're stuck to idiotic money on Sanchize. Like 16m worth of idiotic money.

X-Era
02-19-2013, 05:24 AM
This team ain't winning anything with or without Fitz this coming year.

Fitz is no longer part of the future direction of the franchise, or at least he shouldn't be.

There is absolutely ZERO reason for him to be on the roster in 11 days.

- - - Updated - - -

The Jets won't take a QB in Round 1. They're stuck to idiotic money on Sanchize. Like 16m worth of idiotic money.Totally agree. His credibility and backing is shot here. With a whole new coaching staff it's time to just move on. There is no reason to keep him.

I think he's been asked to restructure or take a pay cut and the Bills will give him up until that bonus is due to decide if he will take it. If not, he's gone.

better days
02-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Totally agree. His credibility and backing is shot here. With a whole new coaching staff it's time to just move on. There is no reason to keep him.

I think he's been asked to restructure or take a pay cut and the Bills will give him up until that bonus is due to decide if he will take it. If not, he's gone.

I hope you are correct.

PTI
02-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Well, Fitz has been the worst unquestioned starter in almost all of NFL history since he took over as unquestioned started. At least he will now be out of that category as unquestioned starter.

I want him gone, he is flat out terrible and should not really even be in the NFL.

better days
02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Well, Fitz has been the worst unquestioned starter in almost all of NFL history since he took over as unquestioned started. At least he will now be out of that category as unquestioned starter.

I want him gone, he is flat out terrible and should not really even be in the NFL.

I agree Fitz should not be starting in the NFL, but he would be one of the better backups.

Ed
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Well as long as Fitz is on the team he's going to be included in any qb competition. And right now he's still on the team, so what else is Marrone supposed to say?

What happened with the rumor that the Bills were going to try and restructure Fitzpatricks deal? Was there any truth to that?