PDA

View Full Version : Paul Kruger Scouting Report

YardRat
02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/2/17/3997770/paul-kruger-scouting-report-nfl-free-agents-2013

There aren't many 6'4", 270-pound players in the NFL that play a majority of their snaps from a two-point stance. That's exactly what Kruger does as a stand-up linebacker in Baltimore's hybrid defense, where his primary job responsibilities are setting the edge in the run and rushing the passer. But he's also asked to drop into coverage occasionally - particularly on the goal line - and does a nice job in that regard, as well. Kruger didn't see much playing time over his first three seasons as a reserve, but in his first season as a full-time starter, he had a very good season (42 tackles, 9.0 sacks) and a great playoff run (14 tackles, 4.5 sacks in four games).

DraftBoy
02-17-2013, 09:17 AM
You gotta think he's target 1a

YardRat
02-17-2013, 10:08 AM
I would hope so...not real confident that they are going to make a splash like last year, though.

DraftBoy
02-17-2013, 10:19 AM
I would hope so...not real confident that they are going to make a splash like last year, though.

I think they'll get aggressive early but let the market play out. Personally I think Michael Johnson (DE-CIN) is a better target than Kruger because of what he offers physically, athletically, and for likely a smaller contract.

6'7, 270 lbs.
26 years old
Could play DE or OLB, and even some DT if needed (remember versatility will be key)
Also coming off a 11.5 sack year

better days
02-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Yeah, Nix just said in an interview that Mario was an exception but he does not usually like to sign FA's until later in free agency.

Buddo
02-17-2013, 10:46 AM
I think they'll get aggressive early but let the market play out. Personally I think Michael Johnson (DE-CIN) is a better target than Kruger because of what he offers physically, athletically, and for likely a smaller contract.

6'7, 270 lbs.
26 years old
Could play DE or OLB, and even some DT if needed (remember versatility will be key)
Also coming off a 11.5 sack year

Kruger is possibly a better fit for what Pettine will want to do though, coming from a similar system with the Ravens.
Johnson is intriguing though, as he was rated as having good potential when he was drafted, and it looks like he's actually realizing that now. There were a lot of people who thought the Bills should have drafted him, when he came out, but I think he went a bit high for how long it's taken him to come through.
I don't know what the cap situation is like in Cincy, so it might be that they can afford to give him a respectable offer, whereas the Ravens are going to struggle to get everyone they want back, re-signed, including Kruger.

Either one would make sense as a good target for the Bills in the off-season, but I wonder where they see our needs, in relation to the talent in the draft. There seems to be a lot of good talent around defensively in the draft, while not so much offensively.
It might be that WR is one of the top positions we look to get something done in FA, as although it's been said the WR group is deep this year, there aren't the real stand out guys near the top of the draft. We might be thinking of picking up another one later on, say from the 4th on down, if the talent is that deep.

The Jokeman
02-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Kruger is possibly a better fit for what Pettine will want to do though, coming from a similar system with the Ravens.
Johnson is intriguing though, as he was rated as having good potential when he was drafted, and it looks like he's actually realizing that now. There were a lot of people who thought the Bills should have drafted him, when he came out, but I think he went a bit high for how long it's taken him to come through.
I don't know what the cap situation is like in Cincy, so it might be that they can afford to give him a respectable offer, whereas the Ravens are going to struggle to get everyone they want back, re-signed, including Kruger.

Either one would make sense as a good target for the Bills in the off-season, but I wonder where they see our needs, in relation to the talent in the draft. There seems to be a lot of good talent around defensively in the draft, while not so much offensively.
It might be that WR is one of the top positions we look to get something done in FA, as although it's been said the WR group is deep this year, there aren't the real stand out guys near the top of the draft. We might be thinking of picking up another one later on, say from the 4th on down, if the talent is that deep.

Every time I think of WR and Nix I think of him describing a Calvin Johnsonesque type which are so rare to find. It might be a little of a reach but I wouldn't mind taking a playmaking with size at pick 8 on a kid named Cordarrelle Patterson:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vx6pGFvDqt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

better days
02-18-2013, 04:38 PM
I would love Kruger, but I think it is more likely the Bills sign Scott or Pace.

X-Era
02-18-2013, 04:52 PM
You gotta think he's target 1aWho would you put as 1b?

My gut is on a WR, QB, or LB

The names I keep thinking are Bowe, Alex Smith, or Vilma (if cut) or Danelle Ellerbe.

Bart Scott makes sense due to the Pettine connection as does LaRon Landry. And I don't think either are top tier FA's.

Night Train
02-18-2013, 05:14 PM
If they cut Kelsay, they can afford any frontline LB.

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Who would you put as 1b?

The names I keep thinking are Bowe, Alex Smith, or Vilma (if cut) or Danelle Ellerbe.

Bart Scott makes sense due to the Pettine connection as does LaRon Landry. And I don't think either are top tier FA's.

Johnson

fluteflakes
02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
MDJ has always just struck me as a role player, much like Anderson was.

Don't know if he'd be much different or better, besides the obvious physical differences.

The Jokeman
02-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Who would you put as 1b?

I'm not a Kruger fan myself. If I were to rank guys I think that we will target early they are DeAndre Levy, Dustin Keller, Ellerbe. I know that Levy's name might turn a few heads but he's played both MLB and WLB for Detroit and Marrone's good friend and our current ST coach Danny Crossman knows about him. So if I'm play things safe as GM I sign Levy first and then make the call if want to pursue a MLB or WLB ie you're hand isn't forced on the next LB you pursie. As if sign Levy to play WLB then Ellerbe manning the middle makes sense. Or you could always kick in Levy to compete with Sheppard to man the middle and pursue a lower priced guy like Scott to hold the fort/teach the defense at WLB and then draft a guy in the first few rounds to eventually succeed Scott at WLB.

X-Era
02-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Johnson
Hmmm... I know you were a fan since is days at GT. I like what he has quietly done over the past few years. A team that supposedly is using analytics might like the upside of that signing...

The Jokeman
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Further Edit on my last post:

I'm not a Kruger fan myself. If I were to rank guys I think that we will target early they are DeAndre Levy, Dustin Keller, Ellerbe. I know that Levy's name might turn a few heads but he's played both MLB and WLB for Detroit and Marrone's good friend and our current ST coach Danny Crossman knows about him. As being the astoot GM I pretend to be I sign Levy first and then make the call to other guys and know my hand isn't forced on the next LB you go after as it could be MLB or a WLB. As if sign Levy to play WLB then Ellerbe at MLB makes sense. Or you could always kick in Levy to compete with Sheppard to man the middle and pursue a lower priced guy like Scott to hold the fort/teach the defense at WLB and then draft a guy in the first few rounds to eventually succeed Scott at WLB. It also gives you some options to if ever want to shift to a 3-4 front as could argue that could go X, Levy, Sheppard, Bradham. Where X could be a pass rushing guy like Kruger if spend big bucks or maybe draft a guy like Michael Buchanan that I preposed in my mock draft.

Mr. Magoo
02-19-2013, 02:01 PM
I would be very stoked if we pick either Ellerbe or Kruger.